Tune in at 16:00 London, 19:00 UAE

Will the Apple tablet change the world?

January 27th, 2010

The anticipation before the worldwide release of Apple's highly hyped tablet product has been huge.

A look at what the new Apple tablet could look like.
A look at what the new Apple tablet could look like.

There has been enormous speculation over what the product will look like, how much it will cost, what technical specifications it will have... the list goes on and on.

As the official launch from San Francisco nears, we want to know what you think.

Are you excited about the new Apple tablet? Will you rush out to buy one? Do you think this product will be a success or a flop for Apple? Will it change the way we use computers?

Please post your comments below.

Posted by
Filed under:  General
  1. Dawn Lovisa

Yes, I'm excited. I've been an apple fan since 1986.
    I currently have a MacBook, an ipod nano, and an ipod touch. I use all three daily.
    What I'm hoping for most from a tablet is medical applications. I'm a nurse practitioner and I think a tablet could have a lot to offer. I can see using one as a portable electronic health record at work.
    I used a palm pda and now my ipod touch for portable medical applications and I think a tablet could really expand the use of this type of applications.
    I also look forward to seeing the type of media developed for a tablet from books with links to pictures and multimedia to watching movies, tv programs, and games.
    I won't buy one right away, but I'll be chomping on the bit as I watch the reviews come in.

January 27, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Reply
  2. Phil B

Not excited in the least. Looks like no one else is either. Not excited enough to comment anyway.

January 27, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Reply
  3. Troy Barrett

i-Pod, i-Phone, i-Mac, i-Tablet... I-Don't-Care.

January 27, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Reply
  4. Bob B

I'm anticipating it more than I thought I would. I like the thought of having a well designed eReader with a smooth process for acquiring content, but if it's JUST an eReader, prices will have to come way down. If the Apple product goes beyond eReader to full-featured web browser, game platform, pda, etc., then the price may be worth it.

January 27, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Reply
  5. Keith Peters

Nope. Don't care at all. This just another way of draining cash from the public on a devise they don't need. They employ engineers and have to keep them employed with more and more worthless gadgets.

January 27, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Reply
  6. Jonah

Yes, I am very excited about this Tablet

January 27, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Reply
  7. Dave R

It will transform the way we use computers like Segway transformed personal transportation.

January 27, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Reply
  8. ron smith

news paper / magzines

cheep , simple , highly portable and convienant. not a nessessity .

i this and i that , internet, electronics , costly , complex , also not a nessessity

HARD ECONOMIC TIMES !

my kid might like it for playing games if he can afford it , kids dont care about the news anyways, unless its pushed on them in school for a project ,

guess they'll have to come up with another new law , 1st no texting while driving , now no tableting while driving...lol

January 27, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Reply
  9. Don

They changed the way we use computers (mouse)
    They changed the way we listen to music (ipod)
    They changed the way we use our phones (iphone)
    Why would we not expect big things...

January 27, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Reply
  10. DM

It's the economy stupid! i-don't care

January 27, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Reply
  11. Jacob Grant

Without a doubt I am definitely excited about this. I've been waiting for this for a few years now. I believe that there is a technological gap that exists between the Iphone/Ipod and the laptop that would help to combine multiple technologies that can be exciting, productive and extremely informative. Imagine a device that provides 24/7 internet access, the ability to read books combined with the ability to view movies and magazines. Apple is in a perfect position to provide this type of device, but it has good to have the same type of quality or better as is provided with the Iphone/Ipod. Possibly bluetooth as well to add a bluetooth keyboard as an option. Price is important as well. But yes........I'm excited as are many other people as well!

January 27, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Reply
  12. Greg

Absolutely. Microsoft has lost all vision in the industry. In 10 years they will have given up market share and in 20 they will be obsolete. If Apple decides to open their code to all Intel hardware, it will only accelerate the demise of MS. MAC OS has already been hacked to do this. Long live a "real" OS. MAC, Linux, Unix...etc will rule in the not so distant future.

January 27, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Reply
  13. Fabien N

Just curious, won't buy

January 27, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Reply
  14. Jason

I-take i-tablet to work. i-take the subway and since it doesn't fit in i-pocket, i-crack the screen. And if the screen doesn't crack, i-be lucky if i-make it to work alive since i-might be jumped for my i-tablet on my way to i-work.

January 27, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Reply
  15. Melba

i'm ridiculously excited. Its the future!!!

January 27, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Reply
  16. Sam - Roanoke, Va

No doubt the Apple tablet will be cool. As well as set the standard in next gen PC's but I still feel its not practical. I feel consumers value the "put in your pocket" do all in device way more. iPhone 4G and expanded apps is simply more practical.

Top 5 Tablet drawbacks =
    1. Will have to have "kick stand" to place upright.
    2. Kick stands will force customer to buy keyboards. The stands won't be able to structually hold in place from all the finger screen "tap, tapping!" which is why the keyboard will be needed.
    3. Back of tablet will become horrible scratched which forces customers to buy more "protection covers/clings" and kick stands
    4. Screen is large and wide open. Again customer will have to buy more "protective equipment" but I'm sure Apple will have a very nice expensive extended protection plan for this...
    5. Screen will keep finger prints. This will fustrate the customer to no end. Clean, wipe, clean, wipe, clean, you get the point!

In the end I see it as an awesome, cool PC but not without the expense of protective items, more extended protection plans, kick stands and tag along devices such as keyboards etc... But no doubt an A+ on the WOW!!!

January 27, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Reply
  17. mahesh

iExcited for Steve jobs more than the product itself. it is his brilliance and vision that we need to wait and see.

isupportstevejobs and he is iamazing

January 27, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Reply
  18. Pete Kane

I'm very excited about the forthcoming tablet. The concept of something larger than an iPhone that can handle books/newspapers better as well as standard computer functions (iWork please) would be great. I love my MacBook Pro, but lugging it around gets tedious. When I'm on the road, I really don't need the full power of the Pro. A tablet will suffice quite well and the convenience will be unmatched. And here's to new blood for the newspaper industry!

January 27, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Reply
  19. Marci

It is looks like a big iphone. If my husband and I have iphones, a macbook and desktop pc why do we need this. Unless it is priced to like a netbook and will run flash who cares.

January 27, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Reply
  20. Adityan

While it may be a good alternate to ink on paper, it may never be good enough to replace it.

January 27, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Reply
  21. Lynn Thompson

I am so excited! I use my iPhone for everything, my nano wakes me up every morning and feel slightly naked without a computer of some description at the ready. So, the thought of a tablet, which is compact and interactive like my phone excites the hell out of me! I can't wait! And it may not be totally off the scale price wise either, so my interest is soaring.

January 27, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Reply
  22. Mark

I do not know what all the hub bub is about. There have been PC tablets on the market for years.

It is just a computer you can write on the screen. Nothing new.

January 27, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Reply
  23. Science Teacher

From a teacher's perspective: Laptops are good for the teacher, but classroom technology has never been inspiring. Smartboards are a total waste of resources, Tablet and Slate PC's are great but expensive, and while MS OneNote is very clever, Windows has never worked well in a classroom environment.

I'm very excited for an iSlate, if it can do all that I hope, at a good price point.

January 27, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Reply
  24. E

I have been a staunch PC user for years but this device may be the thing that finally persuades me to go apple!

January 27, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Reply
  25. Eggz

Apple tablet will change your savings acount dramatically! That and the word 'overhype' that will soon change into "an apple product" in the dictionaries.

imho.

January 27, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Reply
  26. stephanie lisa tara

apple gives me chills! woowooo! lol. cool stuff :)

January 27, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Reply
  27. Harlequin

"No gadget has ever replaced the convenience of a simple paper and pen. Maybe the Apple Tablet will do the trick?"

You realize tablet PCs have been around for years? I've had a Motion Computing LE1600 for 5 years. Replaced pen and paper for me; also replaced my day planner.

January 27, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Reply
  28. Jan

Yes, I am excited. Never been much of an Apple fan, but they have been running circles around Microsoft and it may be time to switch my allegiance to Apple.

January 27, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Reply
  29. Betti

If you get excited about a computer I think you should get yourself checked out

January 27, 2010 at 6:52 pm | Reply
  30. Ilia

I don't think everyone will need it like iPhone or iPod, but I think it will fill a niche – because it seems well-designed, comes with lots of content and is exceedingly easy to use.

January 27, 2010 at 7:03 pm | Reply
  31. Murray

Big Deal, I was hoping but its only an oversized I-Phone, I-pod touch. Its just another device thats going to cost heaps and be replaced by something else in a year.

Its just a fad for those who gotta have the latest and greatest. Hope you make a buck but not from me.

January 27, 2010 at 7:07 pm | Reply
  32. THEKKE KURUNDIL DAMODARAN

I AM REALLY EXCITED TO GO THROUGH THE PARAMETERS OF APPLE iPAD RECENTLY LAUNCHED BY APPLE CEO STEVE JOBS. MY HEARTY CONGRATS. TO MR STEVE JOBS ON THE TREMENDOUS ACHIEVEMENT OF APPLE INC. I WISH I MUST GET A FREE SAMPLE OF THE ABOVE iPAD FROM THE CEO,

January 27, 2010 at 9:09 pm | Reply
  33. Arthur

Am a nokia fan ,but with the hype of the IPAD and a big screen ,i may have to read through and try this product

January 27, 2010 at 9:13 pm | Reply
  34. John

Why would it change the world? What is so different about that product? Steven and his helpers have had great ideas, but I think the I-Pad is not a revolutionary idea. That is other Apple's expensive toy.

January 27, 2010 at 9:18 pm | Reply
  35. Hubert de Nie

iPad is just a netbook without a keyboard, your getting a bad deal here!

January 27, 2010 at 11:45 pm | Reply
  36. Mark

It's cool, but it looks and acts like a giant iphone.
    Waste of money imo.

Everything this does, I have other things that do it better.

Watch movies? That's why I have a 40" tv.
    Listen to music? I have mp3 players for that.
    Read a book? That's why I have BOOKS.
    Take notes? Ever hear of pen and paper? cell phone? laptop?
    Play games? That's why I have a gaming computer, and I don't want to tilt my gaming device to turn a corner.

This thing is a whole pile of objects in one, and while it can do it all, it does it all marginally.
    Steve jobs is a genius, but he really dropped the ball on this one.

January 28, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Reply
  37. Lana

Beware that we don't get so caught up in gadgets that we forget what's really important in our lives. Will it enhance my life? Will it help me to help others? Will it help me in my relationships with other people? Our modern gadgets have taken us away from appropriate ways of interacting with one another, hense we are losing our ability to communicate effectively, exending common civility. Just beware of how great these things really are.

January 30, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Reply