Tune in at 16:00 London, 19:00 UAE

Wednesday's Connector: Carly Simon

March 4th, 2010

Carly Simon's classic 1972 hit "You're So Vain" took the charts by storm and established the singer as a household name.

What would you ask Carly Simon?

What would you ask Carly Simon?

The song became an instant number one, going on to sell more than one million copies in the United States alone, and launching an ongoing debate on who the song was about.

New York-born Simon is the daughter of publishing giant Richard L. Simon, co-founder of Simon & Schuster, and is the former wife of music legend James Taylor.

Although most famous for "You're So Vain," Simon has had a number of other internatonal hits included 1977's "Nobody Does It Better," the theme to James Bond film, "The Spy Who Loved me."

Her most recent album, "Never Been Gone," was released last fall. It features new versions of a number of her greatest hits.

This year Simon has announced a contest on the Web site, inviting fans and filmmakers to create a music video, using the original or new version of "You're So Vain." She will screen all entries herself, select a winner, and meet the filmmaker.

Tune in on Wednesday at 2100 GMT to see Carly Simon as our Connector of the Day. Post your comments about Carly, and please let us know from where you are writing.

1. Aaron

I would like to know what her current relationship is with James Taylor? Are they still close? And was the hit "you're so vain?" really about him?

March 4, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Reply
  2. Robin

What do you consider your greatest adventure?

March 4, 2010 at 6:01 pm | Reply
  3. Tony

I believe that it's James Taylor .

March 4, 2010 at 6:25 pm | Reply
  4. Beverly - Tampa, FL

SO, WHO is the mystery man behind "You're So Vain"? Is it Mick Jaggar or Wayne Newton? My money is on Wayne Newton! Thanks!

March 4, 2010 at 7:54 pm | Reply
  5. Nash Halliday, Geneva

Can you share a meaningfull life experience and the wisdom gained from it?

March 4, 2010 at 9:02 pm | Reply
  6. ISABELLE

There are no more singers like Carly ,genuine and graceful
    We love you and dont see you as offen as we wish
    I know you are singing not for the money(like others)
    but my question is why we dont see you more offten?

March 4, 2010 at 9:08 pm | Reply
  7. Dorothy

Any regrets?

March 4, 2010 at 9:14 pm | Reply
  8. rebeccaNY

Is anybody special in Carly heart?

March 4, 2010 at 9:26 pm | Reply
  9. hideaki nagano

I think vain is vague,realisation and strong ,What do you think stracture?

March 4, 2010 at 11:44 pm | Reply
  10. John Edwards

Carly, i have listened to and loved you since the beginning.
    How was it that you overcame you problem of stage fright, and
    does this help you overcome problems that you face in everyday
    life ? MORE TORCH SONGS PLEASE !!! LOVE TO YOU ALWAYS !

March 5, 2010 at 1:00 am | Reply
  11. hideaki nagano

What do you think Alabama?

March 5, 2010 at 1:01 am | Reply
  12. Angela Roberi

Carly, Why you never visited Argentina? We love you and admire your excellent performance in every single song, your devotion to this beautiful art, singing. Please try to come to Argentina once. We'll wait for it!!! Love

March 5, 2010 at 1:05 am | Reply
  13. Dr Bob

I would ask – "how do you manage to write such annoying songs?"

March 5, 2010 at 1:21 am | Reply
  14. Jacquelyn-Houston

Was your racially mixed heritage something you wanted to conceal from the public? Was this something your parents spoke about openly?

March 5, 2010 at 1:49 am | Reply
  15. heather

whati is your favorite song by someone else?

March 5, 2010 at 2:13 am | Reply
  16. Derek - Juneau, Alaska

It was about Warren Beatty... don't you guys know anything?

March 5, 2010 at 2:24 am | Reply
  17. SteveofCharlotte

Why are we still in Iraq?

March 5, 2010 at 2:38 am | Reply
  18. Jeremy

We always hear other musicians pick you as their music influence. Who are your musical influences and why do you pick them ?

March 5, 2010 at 2:56 am | Reply
  19. martywalpole

You sang the theme song for the movie, "Working Girl", a movie starring Melanie Griffth and Harrison Ford. What inspired the lyrics to the song. Also, like most of the planet wants to know, who was so vain? I read it was someone named David, care to tell us more?

March 5, 2010 at 3:04 am | Reply
  20. Gary

In "You're So Vain" you say "You probably think this song is about you".

If the pronoun "you" is referring to the same person, then the song is in fact about the subject about the song. It is a tautology.

Is it really so vain to think a song is about you, when in fact it is about you?

March 5, 2010 at 3:26 am | Reply
  21. P.

Neither James Taylor or Carly Simon can sing. Their songs are the most boring. Can't stand either one.

March 5, 2010 at 3:34 am | Reply
  22. Jonathan Schrag

Could you please donate a video camera to our non-profit community center in Harrisonburg, Virginia? Our Community Place serves three-free meals a day to "anyone with a bellybutton", and I know that we can make a darn good video! (thanks)

March 5, 2010 at 3:40 am | Reply
  23. Sir William

I love you Carly and your music. I really don't care about who is so vain, after all this time, who ever it was is a past memory and not worthy of bringing up the past. That is private and your business.
    Only regret one thing, that you did not record " Holding Back The Years"
    (Simply Red) with same musical arrangement..Perhaps you will in the future, that song was made for you. I'll keep hanging on for you.

March 5, 2010 at 4:09 am | Reply
  24. Faheem Waqar Khan Ghouri

Sir we wish and pray for your health and life,as we know about your patriotism and good thoughts for Pakistan, you did very very good I must say excellent works for Pakistan by allmeans relations from India, established National Security Council gas pipeline from Iran you created oppertunities for investments of micro and big financing,you had started millitary operations against millitants and many more.We shall remember you for the rest of our live,s. We pray and wish you good luck

March 8, 2010 at 8:00 am | Reply
  25. James Ogilvie

Carly Simon! Beautiful voice; beautiful lady.
    I was 15 years old in 1972 and grew up listening to the good music.
    Fact is, Carly has been a sex-symbol for over 40 years now.
    Not just me – countless thousands of young men (millions?) It's just a fact.
    I have always heard Carly is shy and quite uncomfortable in this role.
    Carly, have you been able to come to terms with your celebrity? With your appearance? With your legions of adoring male fans?
    Carly has hordes of female fans too! They have always been somewhat more focussed on the music...
    Carly you're ageless, keep up the good work, we're very glad you're performing again.
    With respect and best regards

March 9, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Reply
  26. Ashley

What do you think about celebrity aid in Africa? What are your views on celebrity adoption?

(Scotland)

March 9, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Reply
  27. kastemp

is the song "Your So Vain" about yourself and about me?

I see myself in that song (shamefully lol)

being a woman I grew up in an era where good looks meant the ultimate success and of course it is not like that now ... thank god

March 9, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Reply
  28. The NardDog

You suddenly pulled out in front of me on Beach Road, Vineyard Haven, back in 1995 or 96. You had apparently just gotten gas, I was headed to OB, then off to Lobsterville. We nearly collided. Where were you going?

March 9, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Reply
  29. Claire

Carly, you've won Grammy and Oscar awards–which meant more? Also, you were great on the Jimmy Fallon show–does this mean you are doing better with your stage fright? Lastly, you were a big part of the MUSE effort; are there causes that you work on today?
    Thanks for the great music and activism from a fan and sister SLC graduate!

March 9, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Reply
  30. Mark-USA

'Fess up, Geffen or not Geffen?
    ps: Love 'Never Been Gone'!

March 9, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Reply
  31. Rolf Hesse

What did you think of James Taylor's performance on the Academy Awards Show? Why do you think he was chosen to perform?

March 9, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Reply
  32. Anonymous Anonymous

WHY DO PEOPLE CONTINUE TO ASK WHO THE SONG "YOU'RE SO VAIN" IS ABOUT? (OTHER THAN THE FACT IT HAS BEEN THE BIGGEST POP CULTURE SECRET OF THE LAST HALF CENTURY).

PEOPLE CONTINUE TO TALK ABOUT AND ASK ABOUT THE SAME NAMES OVER AND OVER - I 100% GUARANTEE THAT THE SONG IS ABOUT SOMEONE WHOSE NAME HAS NEVER BEEN MENTIONED BEFORE IN THIS CONVERSATION. (OF COURSE, I KNOW WHO IT IS, OTHERWISE HOW ELSE COULD I GIVE A 100% GUARANTEE...)

March 9, 2010 at 8:19 pm | Reply
  33. Rolf from California

What is the meaning behind the cover photo for your "Never Been Gone" album? It isn't very flattering & it is somewhat similar to the photo for "Spy."

March 10, 2010 at 6:24 am | Reply
  34. Rolf from California

When will you record an album of all new Carly Simon songs?

March 10, 2010 at 6:30 am | Reply
  35. Rolf from California

When will you ever perform live on the West Coast so my wife, son and I can come see you? We saw you at the CD signing at the bookstore in L.A. and you were wonderful. My wife, Ann, told you her favorite song is After the Storm.

March 10, 2010 at 6:37 am | Reply
  36. Karen McGrath

My favorite song is Let the River Run – New Jerusalem. Great one, really, Carly.

Of course You're So Vain is about Warren Beatty.... who is paying you all to say otherwise?!

March 10, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Reply
  37. Corrado

Ny favourite song is Private Fires, music by Andreas Vollenweider.
    Carly is just my favourite woman in the World.
    I love her with my heart.

Corrado

March 10, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Reply
  38. Jill

I admire CS very much through her songwriting, raising two solid kids by herself and slogging her way through cancer treatment.

Question: Having successfully gone through cancer and beaten it... does anything still frighten you in life?
    Are you still having panic attacks and stage fright?

Take care, Carly in your busy day:)

March 10, 2010 at 6:04 pm | Reply
  39. Amy Wohl

Hi Carly...would you consider coming over to my house - I'll make you dinner!!! I've got some great Carly Simon guitar books we can play with!!!!! Love you...keep making beautiful music for the world!!!

March 10, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Reply
  40. Dean Beringer

Carly,
    "Hello Big Man" is one of my favourite works of yours. As I grow older ,reflecting on both of my parents (now gone),I often am surprised at how much I am becoming like them.My mission in life when they were alive was to be as different from them as I could possibly be,and now in some strange way I find they are more a part of me than i could ever have imagined. Do you see yourself becoming at all like your parents as you grow older ?

March 10, 2010 at 6:30 pm | Reply
  41. Billy

Dear Carly,
    Do you have plans to release another album of original songs sometime in the near future? I'm still loving your last one, THIS KIND OF LOVE from 2008. It is wonderful! Thanks for such amazing music.

March 10, 2010 at 6:40 pm | Reply
  42. Sureyya

@Derek from Alaska: That's how I know it as well. The song was about Warren Beatty..

March 10, 2010 at 6:53 pm | Reply
  43. Deb

Carly it's great to see you out and about. I've been a fan since the age of 10.

I recently read that your second husband told you he was gay about 6 years ago and your divorce was final 3 years ago. What was that like and how was he supportive when you were dealing with breast cancer.

Are you touring the states this year?

March 10, 2010 at 7:15 pm | Reply
  44. John Z

How tedious that all people seem to want to talk about is one song and a famous ex-husband. I find it criminal that Carly has not been given her due as one of the truly great songwriters of our times with a huge body of fantastic, original work. Her melodic, harmonic, rhythmic, and lyrical ingenuity as a writer has never been properly acknowledged. Her only true peer is Joni Mitchell. The list of virtuoso musicians who have contributed to her timeless records is also mind-boggling. Really, there's so much more to this artist than the small list of tired, gossipy subjects that everyone seems to be fixated upon. She's a genius folks!

March 10, 2010 at 7:16 pm | Reply
  45. Deb

Does Warren know that Scar from the Bedroom Tapes is about him too in part? What a great CD. Will you be releasing it again?

March 10, 2010 at 7:16 pm | Reply
  46. L J

With Focus on Family
    "Can We Measure With Love"

1. Tell Me How do you measure the time that you spend alone, with one's you Love
    2. How many time's will a star catch your eye, falling down from the heavens above
    3. And how do you measure the way that you feel, when your heart seems as light as a dove
    4. Can this be Love, Can we measure with love

5. Tell me how do you know when Love's looking your way, If never did hear I Love You
    6. And how can these words put a tear in your eye's, when a child smiles and says them to you
    7. And how do you measure the distance apart , two hearts can survive on their own
    8. Can this be Love, Can we measure with love

Bridge:
    9. Is it Love...That brings you to yours knees
    10. Is it Love...That leaves you begging please

11. Tell me how do you find the strength to go on, after loosing all that you've had
    12. Why do we balance the Bad from the Good, will the Good always out weigh the Bad
    13. And how do we measure the life of an unborn child, if not given a chance
    14. Can this be Love, Can we measure with love

15. Tell me how do we measure the life of an unborn child, if not given a chance
    16. Can this be Love, Can we measure with love

Can this be Love, Can we measure with love

L J Coon ( starrtrac6@aol.com )

March 10, 2010 at 7:22 pm | Reply
  47. Rodolfo

Hello Carly greetings from Italy.....what song of another artist you wanted to sing ??
    My favourite your song....You' re So Vain......FANTASTIC....!!!!!

March 10, 2010 at 7:22 pm | Reply
  48. ---Dan

Carly - My wife and I had the pleasure of seeing you on the Serenade tour in 2005. Is there any chance you'll be doing any live shows in support of future albums? Perhaps another one of original materal??!

March 10, 2010 at 8:17 pm | Reply
  49. Trisha

Carly, it's rather apparent that you've had your eyes made over recently. Are you happy with your new look? It's difficult for us fans to see your face in such a different configuration. But if you are pleased, then we shall be so also. Very much like the new versions of songs.

Trisha – UK

March 10, 2010 at 9:08 pm | Reply
  50. Liz Boardman

Hi Carly-

Fan since the beginning and I'm 51 now. So many wonderful songs. What is the one song that you thought would be a hit and didn't turn out to be. Must be frustrating. Would love to see a concert for true fans of your wonderful non-hits! You and your music have meant so much to me through the years. Much appreciated!

March 11, 2010 at 12:34 am | Reply
  51. colleen Roth

Hi Carly,

My husband and i would love to hang out with you some time
    Sometimes my husband has to travel back east for work..
    We would have so munch fun.. If the sprit moves you e-mail colleenroth@me
    Love,Colleen

March 11, 2010 at 2:57 am | Reply
  52. Gary Hanick

Hi Carly,

I love you and I love your music. I am sure you must be somewhat bemused by all the hoopla about the "mystery" person in "You're So Vain". Ha, ha, are you sure it is not YOU?? That is way too obvious for most mortals to even comprehend. Oh, yeah, the part about "all the girls dream that they'd be your partner". It's easy to make the switch from "boys" to "girls", and it would not be too difficult to imagine that a lot of "girls" would love to be YOUR partner. So what, right?

Not that I am implying that YOU'RE so vain, but aren't you? It is called "artistic ego". This is really great marketing....it gets your name out there, hopefully it is translating into more album sales? I so love your music, and Joni Mitchell's music. I admit that I lean a little towards Joni's, but that still places you on a pedestal that most singers and musicians can't even come close. I grew up with your music, it is part of my soul by now. And you seem like a genuinely nice person with a big heart.

I and millions of others wish you well and send LOVE that we know you can feel. All the foibles that we call being human are part of the journey's process this go round. You've done well in this life and have been a great inspiration to so many. You can always feel a deep sense of goodness and gratitude for this.

Love,

Gary

P.S. I am not a musician, but I am an artist. My company for the last 30-years has pioneered the design and handcrafting of Steel Art Trees. Check out our website, http://www.naturemaker.com I've not been to MV, but have been to Nantucket, the Cape, etc. We have installations in Boston, NYC, Southern CA (where we're based) and just about everywhere else.

March 11, 2010 at 2:57 am | Reply
  53. Mike S

You really must get "Born To Break My Heart" onto a movie soundtrack, or something, so that the song finally finds its intended audience. It's one of your best, most commercial sounding songs, and to this day I think it should have been (or should be) a hit! Let's go already! 🙂

March 11, 2010 at 3:16 am | Reply
  54. patrick mcfarland

carly, when are ya comming to atlantic city again? we were blessed to see you twice at the borgata front row center and meet your charming son ben, which we have some great photos of and love the fact he graciously took some of me and my sister, we love you and cant wait to see more of you, love riverrunner-patrick mcfarland -jersey shore=

March 11, 2010 at 4:51 am | Reply
  55. Graham Mc Carthy

Hi there my name is Graham and I have been waiting for Carly 's new album ,and on the start of the stories one is about ,Your so vain ,well about the WRITER of the song ,its about him no one else ,I have been doing my homework and found that out .Carly ROCKS and ROCKS .Come out to the land down under ,alls welcome >< Graham .from the land down under (Australia)

March 11, 2010 at 8:47 am | Reply
  56. Mr. Robert

How can I write to Carly or send her an e-mail? Does she have an agent to handle this?

March 11, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Reply
  57. The NardDog

"LJ" what on Earth are you talking about?

March 11, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Reply
  58. photomojo

will you ever dig out that version of Under My Thumb that you recorded? does there exist any photos of you and mick jagger?

March 11, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Reply
  59. jazzonline

I think she just said it–she dated Cat Stevens for at least a year. Cat Stevens was a poet and fairly wild. She would know best how vain he was.

March 11, 2010 at 6:32 pm | Reply
  60. Josh

Carly, you have said you have horrible fear of flying, and now you are having to fly to England to make some much-needed money. Do you now wish you hadn't blown so much on houses, cars and left-wing causes? Of course, your buddy Obama thinks deficit spending is the way to prosperity, so perhaps you should continue with the conspicuous consumption.

March 12, 2010 at 3:11 am | Reply