Tune in at 16:00 London, 19:00 UAE

Should bullfighting be banned?

June 8th, 2010

Catalonia became the first Spanish mainland region to ban bullfighting after its parliament voted Wednesday to outlaw the tradition on animal cruelty grounds.

The vote was 68 in favor and 55 against, with nine abstentions.

Those who see the ancient tradition as animal cruelty were ecstatic about the vote, celebrating in the street outside parliament. Fans of bullfighting said the decision, however, does not mean it will disappear from other regions in Spain.

Some analysts have said Catalan nationalism - including the desire by some in the region for independence from Spain - played a part in the vote. The upcoming regional elections for parliament later this year may have also had a role.

Bullfighting is an ancient tradition in Spain, and fans say it combines culture, ceremony and artistry. Opponents, however, consider it animal cruelty.

Activist Aida Gascon, of the Anti-Bullfighting Party, known as PACMA, said she has attended just one bullfight in her life, and that was only to get a sense of the bull's suffering.

"Bullfighting is part of Spanish culture," Gascon said. "But that should change. Many traditions disappear as the society advances."

We want to know what you think.

Should the tradition of bullfighting be banned? Is it unnecessary or is it a worthwhile custom that needs to be preserved?

Please let us know what you think and leave your comments below.

Filed under:  General
  1. Heathcliffe Dyba

I can't understand how it hasn't been banned already.

June 8, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Reply
  2. Janece

I could understand this being a sport before there were supermarkets to buy your meat from, but now it's just cruel and inhumane. I usually root for the bull. I feel no pity or sympathy for anyone injured during the running of the bulls or during a bullfight. It's bloody, barbaric and out-dated. When the country of origin will no longer show it on TV, it sounds like it's time to find a new hobby for those who don't value life.

June 8, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Reply
  3. Janet Pierson

Yes I feel it should be banned

June 8, 2010 at 3:46 pm | Reply
  4. Liz Biggin

Bull fighting should be banned in every part of the world, it is one of the most cruel "sports" in the world. It is sick and so is everyone who supports or takes part in it.

June 8, 2010 at 3:46 pm | Reply
  5. lance

Sport means that both sides know they are playing and have the same gear.

June 8, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Reply
  6. Rodrigo

"Freedom of choice" is the lowest form of an argument a person can come up with. It's usually used when not a single rational argument can back up their beliefs.

June 8, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Reply
  7. Haitham Fekry

I can't believe there are people still making that stupid argument. Ban it already.

June 8, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Reply
  8. Jose

One of the things im ashamed of in my country! bullfighting should be banned!

June 8, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Reply
  9. Kurt

I can never understand that such a cruel and disgusting custom
    Is still permitted,the European Union Countries is discussing
    How to allow different bent on bananas and other petty issues
    Take Spain to count and have them bann it completely,I will not set
    My foot as tourist in Spain until this animal cruelty is stopped.

June 8, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Reply
  10. Mark

Bullfighting should have been banned many years ago. Their is no reasonable/sane justification for it!!! Freedom of speech/choice is an abdication of responsibility. Luis Corrales and people like him are after the money. What about the bulls freedom of speech/choice?!!!

June 8, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Reply
  11. Ryan

I believe that cruelty to animals is the way how other animals (chickens, pigs, etc...) are raised, stuffed, fattened, and slaughtered for meat. Yet I do not see anyone pointing this out here. I believe that the bull has at least a chance to ¨get even¨ with the bullfighter, even if the end result is the same. Also, remember that before they go in the ring these bulls live a more pampered life than most humans.

June 8, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Reply
  12. marivic

Yes, it should, Horrible and atrocious for the bull, dangerous to the bull figther, its a crime, the bull figther can find other ways to proves they are machos, ban it

June 8, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Reply
  13. Carolyn

There is a big difference between killing an animal humanely for food and torturing it for entertainment. Of course there are sick individuals who enjoy watching videos of people being tortured, but when torture is part of the society it means the society is sick. The argument that it is an "artform" is ridiculous.

June 8, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Reply
  14. Sayan Majumdar

STOP this barbaric practise (bullfighting).

Sayan.

June 8, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Reply
  15. Dd

Funny how Spain joined the EU ban against the seal hunt yet still permits bullfighting.

Can you say "hypocrisy!!"?

The seal hunt is a humane, sustainable hunt. I saw a bullfight in 1980 and the animals killed were tortured before they were finally killed. How on earth can they draw the conclusion that shooting seals is not humane but torturing bulls with sabers and blades is?

Amazing.

June 8, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Reply
  16. Angry Bull

Every time I see clips of bull fighting, I'm hoping for blood – the bull fighter's blood!

June 8, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Reply
  17. Traditionalist

Bullfighting is an awesome entertainment and sport and should be kept forever. Those bulls live a better life than most dairy cattle or beef cows (especially those force fed on feed lots in the US). While their death does entail some suffering, they at least have a fighting chance which any animal would certainly prefer. What's next, ban all food, all rodeos, all animal actors, beasts of burden and work, pets? Animals are animals, human beings can have sympathy but lets not get ridiculous. If you don't like the event, you don't have to watch it.

June 8, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Reply
  18. Jeff Myre

Haven't been to Spain. Don't want to go to Spain. Will never visit Spain. I applaud whenever I hear of a bullfighter being gored.

June 8, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Reply
  19. Keira

Yes! Ban the darn thing! I don't get the point of bullfighting. It may be an 'old tradition' but it has no place in 2010! Banning it doesn't infringe on anyone's 'freedom of speech' or 'freedom of choice'. You want to express yourself? Take up poetry. Leave the bull alone! Nuff said.

Keira
    NY

June 8, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Reply
  20. Phyllis Pelletier

Freedom of choice does not apply unless the bull has the same right. Cheering at the suffering of a living being is barbaric. If the matador had the piccadors place barbs in the matador's back, and tear his back muscles, if the bull were to face the matador with equal weapons, i.e. if the matador had no weapon either except some horns, then I might consider it a fair fight. I cannot condone slaying an animal who does not have equal capabilities.

June 8, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Reply
  21. craig oneal

Yes, but it won't. Follow the money, it always leads.

June 8, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Reply
  22. Trevor

Of course it should be banned. Is there really an argument for torture of these animals?

June 8, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Reply
  23. sharif

I live in Spain, and have been for over 6 years, and I can tell you that the Catalans are using this as a purely political issue for to have more autonomy from Madrid. Its a form of art in Spain, that has been around for 800 years. To you it´s barbaric but remember we Americans jump on top of a bull to dominate it which here is demeaning to the animal. It's one of those things that if you have not been exposed to you can never understand. I personally don't watch it, but get where they come from. IMHO

June 8, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Reply
  24. Nick

YES, DEFINITELY!!! IT SHOULD BE BANNED ALL OVER WHERE IT STILL EXISTS.

June 8, 2010 at 5:35 pm | Reply
  25. Randall

This unfair and cruelty to animals NEEDS TO BE STOPPED!

Real macho men...the bull is barbed in known muscle groups so the idiot with the cape knows which way it can – and cannot turn.

This is torture for entertainment and is just wrong!

June 8, 2010 at 5:38 pm | Reply
  26. JV

I hope everyone opposed to bullfighting also recognize that animals used for food are generally abused for the duration of their life and slaughtered in a painful manner. At least the bulls only suffer for a short while. Why not ban it all? Or better yet, apply a consistent set of rules regarding what a person is allowed to do to an animal without strange and arbitrary designations of some animals as more "worthy" of care, because of their similarity to us, perceived "cuteness", that we happen to think of them as food vs. non-food, or aren't forced to watch their suffering? Or we could keep being irrational, and protecting the dolphin, gorilla, bull, and baby, and killing the pig, cow, and chicken (pig being smarter than the bull and baby, by the way).

June 8, 2010 at 5:42 pm | Reply
  27. FV

Bull fights ar NOT A SPORT!!! They are a celabration of courage, stamina, elegance. Those who only see a bull getting hurt don´t want or can not see the other part of thiscelebration. Yes, the bull usually dies, yes it may suffer some but the bull has a fighting chance to give a good fight and LIVE!!!

June 8, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Reply
  28. urbancritter

Why protect bullfighting but ban cockfighting and dog fighting? They're all blood sports that involve cruel and egregious treatment of an animal by inappropriately exploiting fight instincts (and in the case of the dogs, by taking advantage of the animal's deep loyalty and desire to please).

Culture does not excuse cruelty – Spain and other bull fighting countries would do well to showcase their evolution by turning away from these relics of a less enlightened time, and by promoting more interesting and humane aspects of their heritage.

June 8, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Reply
  29. Judas Priest Fan

Of course it should be banned.

June 8, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Reply
  30. Huistano Zamarripa

This is one of the many calamities Spain and its ancient and current stupid King and Queen have given the world. This is a despicable practice full of cruelty to animals.
    Of course it should be banned. But again, economic interests are surely behind it. Dead to bullfighters!!!

June 8, 2010 at 5:59 pm | Reply
  31. urbancritter

@JV, @Traditionalist, and @Ryan – I also support a ban on the institutionalized cruelty that is the backbone of our meat and dairy industries – in my opinion, if you really care about a more humane world without cruelty to animals (plus you want to be healthier AND help save the planet while you're at it), GO VEGAN 🙂 I don't miss animal products at all and I feel better for putting my anti cruelty money where my mouth is.

June 8, 2010 at 6:01 pm | Reply
  32. gipsy

If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men.
    – Francis of Assisi

How is it, we even have to ask ourselves this question?

June 8, 2010 at 6:03 pm | Reply
  33. mary ann wuebker

Yes. Period. It's amazing that we consider ourselves civilized while still harming and killing other beings for entertainment.

June 8, 2010 at 6:06 pm | Reply
  34. Jurgen R. Brul

Hello CNN friends,

In order to Protect the Matador’s or Torero’s Health,
    the tradition of bullfighting should be banned!
    The lovers of the traditional bullfighting can live
    their heart out in bullfighting software games!

Advice
    Let us Now Connect to make our world
    a Better Healthier and Beautiful World
    for You and for Me!

Greetings,
    Jurgen R. Brul
    Hometown: Paramaribo
    Country: Suriname
    Latin-American

June 8, 2010 at 6:09 pm | Reply
  35. Joanita Pinto

If it's being called a SPORT, humans should be poked with a few of those arrows and left in a ring with a bull.

Because the animals are at our mercy, is it O.K. for us to carry out this sick game. How can people sit there and watch the pain and suffering the animal has to undergo just to give cheap thrills to mentally unstabilized people in this day and age goes to show we have not evolved into the superior being we are supposed to be.

Age-old tradition ?? why did the romans stop gladiators then?

BAN IT BEFORE WE GET CURSED SOME MORE. THE WRATH OF GOD IS NOT FAR OFF.

June 8, 2010 at 6:09 pm | Reply
  36. CHARLES S. GEBER

Sixty Three years ago on are homeymoon to Mexico City we went to the BullFights. We had great seats down front. In the begin of first fight the bull was on the other side of the arena and it was fascinating to watch as the fight progressed the Bull and Matador moved to our side of the arena. Now we could see the Blood r all over the Bull from the picks stuck in him. At this point my wife and I left in disgust.From that day to this I say NO TO BULLFIGHTING IT IS ANIMAL TORTURE
    Charles S.

June 8, 2010 at 6:09 pm | Reply
  37. Nostromo45

Have lived in Spain for 38 years. In my first few weeks I went to a few corridas out of curiosity.
    Agreed, it's an age-old tradition. However, being barbaric to an animal only shows up the barbarian who is carrying it out. The same as when Roman Gladiators had to kill each other, and the watching crowd just loved to see the blood roll.
    Here in Spain – especially in Cataluña – there is also the toro de fuego, where material on the animal's horns is set alight, and the poor beast runs amok, to the joy of the crowd. Pitiful beasts – the crowd I mean.
    And in a village near here, in their local fiesta, they hang up live chickens on a cable, and young lads gallop up at full speed and grab the bird so as to yank its head off.
    It is about time Spain stopped living in the lower Middle Ages.

June 8, 2010 at 6:12 pm | Reply
  38. Helene Unland

Bullfighting is cruel and should have been banned long ago. Its one "tradition" that should not be allowed to continue. Making animals suffer is no sport.

June 8, 2010 at 6:19 pm | Reply
  39. Connie Lee

Any sport that abuses an animal should be banned.

June 8, 2010 at 6:26 pm | Reply
  40. David

I think it is cruel but the cattle are treated in this terrible way in some parts of the world like the Americas with the big huge cow factories.

Should they not be banned as well the cow factories/battery farms?

Bullfighting is still on TV in Spain, I saw a fight on Telemadrid on Saturday night last.

How come they can't do the fights like in Portugal?

June 8, 2010 at 6:26 pm | Reply
  41. iuli

Sacrificing virgins used to be tradition too...female genitalea mutilation still is. Does that mean we should preserve it just because it is tradition? Get a brain.

June 8, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Reply
  42. Dan

I'm just a bull, but my short answer would be "yes".

June 8, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Reply
  43. Robert McAndrew

It is an absolutely barbaric act which should be banned everywhere...a totally ignorant and cowardly act. The people who engage in, support and/or admire bullfighting and a disgrace to the human species. Ban it, now !

June 8, 2010 at 6:32 pm | Reply
  44. Jennifer

If you animal rights activists are trying to ban our seal hunt in Canada because it's cruel and barbaric, then, the bullfighting should also be banned. At least we kill the animal outright and use it for food, clothing, etc. In Spain they torture before they kill, in Portugal don't they just torture? I stand to be corrected. I'm very happy to see that people are finally standing up for the bulls and hopefully something will be done about it.

June 8, 2010 at 6:44 pm | Reply
  45. Erik

Since it's a Spanish tradition, only the opinion of Spaniards should be taken into consideration. Everyone else is just an armchair activist.

June 8, 2010 at 6:45 pm | Reply
  46. Rafael Reynal

In Argentina, where I reside, is was banned in the early XIX Century. Though you still have it in other Latin American countries like Mexico, Venezuela, etc. I am glad that now a region of Spain is starting to do so. In my opinion, bullfighting is the worst kind of spectacle (show or entertainment) that you can have. Still on my view, there is nothing to be learned from it. Just a horrible display of human arrogance and pure animal cruelty. I find it sick and sickening. A cultural trait that I could never share with other fellow Spaniards (in ancestry) and Latin Americans.

June 8, 2010 at 6:45 pm | Reply
  47. Monix

YES absolutely.
    Don't people have better things to do then watching a defenseless animal getting stabbed to death?

June 8, 2010 at 6:48 pm | Reply
  48. Rony

I support a complete ban on bull fighting

June 8, 2010 at 6:53 pm | Reply
  49. ashley

Until you set foot into their country, what right do you have over traditions there?........ Did you know some of these very animals are raised in the U.S. ? (and are much better treated than the meat you put on your plate) So, in fact, you actually take part in this, you just never knew you did......... Until everyone can stop eating that Rib-Eye or Porterhouse, can we focus on much important issues-- such as putting an end to wars that kill people and coming up with ways to better help our Earth? - which in turn, would help every living creature living on this planet !!!

June 8, 2010 at 7:00 pm | Reply
  50. Pat Schinners

Bullfighting is a heartless and discusting sport and should be banned!!!!!!

June 8, 2010 at 7:00 pm | Reply
  51. LM

I love Spain but I detest bullfighting. The ritualistic killing of an animal in front an audience is not art. It is simply cruelty and it's high time it followed other inhumane customs in the dustbin of history. Killing an animal in front an audience is not an acceptable form of entertainment for me. There are situations where humanely killing an animal under anesthesia (generally a mouse) is morally justifiable (think of cancer research). Those situations are heavily regulated in civilized countries and are not performances for paying audiences. Inflicting any unnecessary pain on any vertebrate animal in the course of medical research is illegal in the US and Europe. As for the claims of hypocrisy leveled against meat eaters by bullfighting defenders: those who eat bovine meat (I don't, because it's unhealthy and because I object to the conditions in which factory farms keep their animals), CAN at least insist on organic farming and humane slaughter, and use their purchasing power to to affect farming practices and policy.
    Bullfighting has no such regulations, and it is plainly cruel.
    Bulls are "picados" with sharp barbs on their shoulders before the bullfight. During a bullfight they are in constant pain and slowly bleed until they are too tired to fight and the matador (which is Spanish for "killer") can kill them safely. Years ago, I wanted to see for myself what the argument is all about and I watched a bullfight. I left disgusted and I would never repeat the experience. The "artistry" was lost on me, and I do love real art. As for the importance of tradition, why don't we resume public hangings or the public burning of heretics at the stake in front of audiences? That was tradition too, for centuries.

June 8, 2010 at 7:07 pm | Reply
  52. Patricia

I will never visit Spain because of the bullfighting.
    This "sport and tradition" is cruel and the animals suffer.

June 8, 2010 at 7:09 pm | Reply
  53. grlkarachi

Absolutely YES... how can people enjoy that? Barbaric and completely idiotic!

June 8, 2010 at 7:13 pm | Reply
  54. Bear

Maybe if we had world peace, eliminated poverty and hunger, found a cure for HIV, cancer and about 1,000 other diseases, and stopped destroying/consuming irreplaceable natural resources I would give a crap about killing some bulls. Until then....Bullfighting is AWESOME!!!

June 8, 2010 at 7:15 pm | Reply
  55. Jasmine

I am in Spain right now completing a study abroad and will be attending my first bull fight on Sunday. I understand how this sport is seen as cruel to animals however this part of what defines Spain's history. Bullfighting has been around for centuries and to ban it would take away from so many aspects of the Spanish culture.

June 8, 2010 at 7:25 pm | Reply
  56. MO

This is Barbaric and should be banned everywhere. Mankind seems to think that they have to always prove something by force and power which inflicts constant suffering. I believe that ANY type of animal suffering SHOULD BE STOPPED WORLDWIDE and we have to start somewhere. If we want to continue to eat meat, then for heavens sake are we too STUPID to find a humane way to keep animals from suffering to accomplish it? With today's technology? That's the problem. Too many want to be Top Dog in this world. Well why don't you supporters and active participants of all this henious and inhumane treatement of animals be the top dog in one of those crates crammed full of helpless dogs being abused by the workers waiting to slaughter you for the next people meal (u deserve it).

June 8, 2010 at 7:30 pm | Reply
  57. Tonymanx

Maybe this is cruel at some level but lets introduce a comparison for the sake of perspective. There isn't anything as cruel to animals as animals themselves! The lion tearing the guts out of a live deer, poison snakes inflicting slow painful deaths, crocs waiting for a thirsty mammal and then drowning them as they struggle in terror. What about your precious pet cat that literally tortures to death the mice. There are birds that peck out the eyes of new born lambs. Then there are our human actions to other creatures like fish that are caught and dragged up and left to suffocate - how cruel is that? There are many examples of this kind of thing. That bull is probably very well feed and looked after before its fighting death. Not too bad compared to some other animals' fate.

June 8, 2010 at 7:33 pm | Reply
  58. Euz

To all ignorant americans who wrote here in favor of banning the bullfights.
    Let me start by saying that before exposing your opinions about another country's culture, you should be informed and educated about it to actually have any right to make comments.
    Second, bullfighting has never been about torturing an animal or watching a matador being mangled by the bull, the real objective though is too long to explain at this space so let's say you are all ignorant and proud of it.
    Third, for the hypocrit enviromentalists, without bullfights this particular race of bulls would become extinct in a few years, since such an animal is naturally designed to charge head on with killing intent, they would be a danger in open fields and their meat isn't commercial so a banning would send another spicies into oblivion.
    Fourth, no one who enjoys this event has ever forced anyone to watch it or critized anyone for disliking it so please let us enjoy it peacefully while you invade other countries.

June 8, 2010 at 7:33 pm | Reply
  59. Sito Minhanco

Bullfighting is more than just animal torture. In Spain, supporting or not bullfighting is actually a political statement. Let´s say you live in central or southern Spain and your a right-wing, catholic, conservative, Spanish nationalist (remember former PM Aznar?): then you´ll probably be quite in favour of this "sport".

Now, ask somebody from Northern Spain: let´s say a Basque priest or syndicalist, Catalonian teacher or a Galician fish farmer...generally, they´ll find disgust in bullfighting. Just take any left-wing college student from any Spanish university, same answer: "Toros No".

Surprisingly, the 87-year-old conservative Galician politician Manuel Fraga, a former minister of the Franco regime, said of bullfighting "You just can´t treat cattle like that", quoting his own grandmother.

June 8, 2010 at 7:37 pm | Reply
  60. Joy Williams

There should be no joy in the agony and slaughter of a living creature. We are no longer at the Coliseum

June 8, 2010 at 7:42 pm | Reply
  61. crew

Stop killing animals, for food or for entertainment. We will automatically stop being violent towards other human beings too. I believe that everyone who is violent towards humans, they were first violent to animals. Thats how it all started.

June 8, 2010 at 7:46 pm | Reply
  62. BJB

La corrida – sí señor!!!

Immediately after taken from the recinto, the bull is butchered by hand (not in a factory) and the meat is delivered to local purveyors and restaurants the same day. But it's not really about the meat, it's about the mythology. Man's dominion

UFC/full contact fighting, Perdue chicken farms – still not sure how we feel about cruelty in the USA!? Suggest you watch Food, Inc. and let's talk some more animal rights reform nonsense.

@JV, Traditionalist, Sharif – you folks have it dialed in!

@Jeff Myre – please keep your word – do NOT come to Spain – nobody here would like your attitude.

And for all you tongue-cluckers – until you have sat at least one of six toros in a corrida (not on TV) or read "On Bullfighting" by A.L. Kennedy – please stop posting on this topic, of which you know (next to) nothing.

June 8, 2010 at 7:47 pm | Reply
  63. Ricardo

The people who applaud the goring of a fellow human being are even worse than those who applaud the goring of a bull. I attended one bullfight, and did not like it; so now I don't watch it. It doesn't mean I think it should be banned. Honestly, after seeing the Food, Inc. and King Corn documentaries, I think feedlots should be banned in America. Those things are heinous and way more inhumane than bullfighting.

June 8, 2010 at 7:50 pm | Reply
  64. Miguel

It is said that the IQ of an animal is that of a 2 to 3 years old human being. I just wonder what the reaction would be towards people that show up to watch a "babyfighter". Bullfighting puts us human beings into a very degrading level.

June 8, 2010 at 7:51 pm | Reply
  65. daniel

Bullfighting is not a sport; it's a cultural expression of man's courage and superiority that dates from the Roman era. If you open any newspaper in Spain, you will not find information about bullfights in the sports section; rather, it will be in the culture section. By saying this, however, I do not mean to justify it. I also think it's time has come and gone.

June 8, 2010 at 7:51 pm | Reply
  66. Rena de Beer

Yes, I totally support, that bullfighting should stop, because it's
    cruel and inhumane. The first and the last time I saw it, I was so
    shocked that I screamed and my boyfriend and I left.

June 8, 2010 at 7:53 pm | Reply
  67. Aura Cruzate

Such incredible cruelty to an animal for the entertainment of drunk people is a disgrace and in no way should be called "ART" or "TRADITION". Spain (and lating American countries who still allow this) are a shame to humanity. People everywhere should mobilize so that this blood sport is banned once and for all. DEFINETELY should have been banned a long time ago.

June 8, 2010 at 7:58 pm | Reply
  68. CBrooks

The difference, JV, is that the death of a dolphin or a pig is not treated as entertainment, or a spectator 'sport', Yes, there are issues with the treatment of animals destined for the food chain, and that rightly needs to be addressed in the appropriate places, but there is no way any sane person can compare the issue of food production with the killing of animals for sport.

I'm sure nobody here is arguing that animals should never be killed, period, just that putting them in a ring to be sliced, impaled, tortured and, eventually dispatched by some bloodthirsty human in the name of 'entertainment' – and for heaven's sake, sometimes even CHILDREN – while hundreds look on, is anything but sporting or entertaining, except to the sick people who consider the death of a living creature by human hands 'artistic' or in anyway watchable. The death of an animal for human enjoyment is never EVER justified.

Just because something is a tradition, that doesn't make it right.

June 8, 2010 at 8:10 pm | Reply
  69. Bullfighting is cruelty

Without doubt bullfighting is cruelty and should be banned. If preserving customs is that important, then we should continue human sacrifices too, because it used to be part of culture in some societies. I don't think anything that is cruel to be worthwile being preserved as "culture"

June 8, 2010 at 8:11 pm | Reply
  70. Kelly

Seems to me like the tourists are the problem. I too am guilty of attending once, not knowing just how horrific it would be, and nearly everyone there was a tourist as well. I've only met a few Spaniards (and I'ved been living here 3 years) who have attended a bullfight. I imagine this has much less to do with keeping tradition and much more to do with getting money. Spain used to have a tradition where they threw a live goat off a tall building, but they didn't let that tradition stop them from being logical.

June 8, 2010 at 8:13 pm | Reply
  71. Jose Vera

im from meixco, and i watch bullfighthing on cable tv when i have the chance, bullfighthing its many things exept a barbarinc thing, i suggets you to watch natgeo "Taboo" show about bullfighthing, they do a great analisis about what really is, if you dont understand bullfighthing, you dont understand life itself, the point of it its to give the bull a cahnce to live, and from time to time some bulls are so brave, that their life is forgiven, and they return to live a life that cows in meat plants can only dream, and when that happnes its the maximun price for the bullfighter, bulls in the plazas have a million times better life than any cow before going to a meat plant, great food, medical treatment, great space to run, its an art, that very few can do, and yes at the end the bull is processed for the meat, wich its the beast cow meat available

June 8, 2010 at 8:13 pm | Reply
  72. Joel

Yes it most definitely should. It's unbeliveble that still in the twenty first century we still have to see this kind of cruelty against animals. How would the bullfigthers fell if it was the other way around.

June 8, 2010 at 8:14 pm | Reply
  73. suzy diamond

YES, ban it already. This is the YEAR 2010. It's so barbaric!! Don't understand killing animals for "SPORT." These countries in Europe need to get with the times. Animal cruelty should not be tolerated no matter where it occurs. Times are different. It's not the early 1900's. This is not longer a necessity.

June 8, 2010 at 8:15 pm | Reply
  74. JDQ

The days when such savagery was acceptable are over. We've moved beyond bear baiting and other forms of animal torture and tradition or not, bullfighting is animal torture – period.

June 8, 2010 at 8:15 pm | Reply
  75. Andre

I don't understand these people... The bulls are created specially for dying in the arena, just like cows and chickens are created for dying to feed us. There is no difference. Why should it be banned? It hurts your eyes? Don't watch it.

"but it's cruelty to animals!!". Well, you don't see the way they kill pigs in the slaughterhouse, it's way worse than killing a bull in bullfighting. And at the end of the day, you just enjoy your pig steak with a nice drink, and you don't even think about the pigs dying. Not even I think about that, i just don't care, they serve only to feed me, just like the bulls serve to entertain me.

June 8, 2010 at 8:17 pm | Reply
  76. Anne Thompson

There is no argument here....
    this is the barbaric torture and abuse of a living animal. The bull is always the looser, this sadistic spectacle should have beeen banned long ago!

June 8, 2010 at 8:21 pm | Reply
  77. Fiadna, Toulouse France

Bullfighting should be banned as is cockfighting and foxhunting in many countries. Why can`t the Spanish adopt the approach of the French Camargue bull games which outlaw the killing of the bull? Are we just trying to return to and gloat in our gladiator past!!!!!

June 8, 2010 at 8:22 pm | Reply
  78. Leo

I think the solution is simple: ban bullfighting, of course. And for those who still crave for bloody shows, reinstate gladiator fights. Let former matadors kill and mutilate each other. I think there will be very few complaints.

June 8, 2010 at 8:26 pm | Reply
  79. TRex

Must be banned. The poor animals.

June 8, 2010 at 8:30 pm | Reply
  80. Oleo

Just went to one 4 days ago and it was awesome as it felt like I had stepped way back in time. Keep tradition alive.

June 8, 2010 at 8:31 pm | Reply
  81. Sarah

Well said JV. I totally agree.

But maybe a ban on bull fighting will at least bring some attention to the issue of acceptable animal treatment in other countries. Putting a stop to an age old tradition because its truly a form of torture is a great way to say to the rest of the world that a significant amount of people are not willing to stand for this kind of animal cruelty. Its a step in the right direction.

June 8, 2010 at 8:34 pm | Reply
  82. Aura Cruzate

JUST BECAUSE there are "other" forms of animal cruelty, such as factory farming, doesn't mean that bull fights should continue to go on. That is the weakest and a stupid argument. ALL forms of unnecessary animal cruelty should be stopped.

June 8, 2010 at 8:43 pm | Reply
  83. Franco

I can see both sides and it can be very controversial, bullfighting is a tradition that's spread all over Latinamerica, too. It hasn't been only Spanish for many centuries, some people will have to stop travelling all around America but the US and Canada mainly.

One more thing, whenever people think and start wishing for a human being to die (rather than an animal) we need to think there is something wrong with that person (or society?)

Time to time...

June 8, 2010 at 8:44 pm | Reply
  84. Rosa

IT SHOULD ABSOLUTELY BE BANNED!!!!

June 8, 2010 at 8:44 pm | Reply
  85. Caleb

How is this any different then slaughtering an animal at an abattoir, so you say it removes the animal of dignity its a bull for goodness sake how can it really have dignity.
    I lived in Barcelona for 7 years, I went to a few Bullfighting matches (events) whatever you want to call it. A friend invited me so I went along I didn't find it disgusting or wrong though everybody is entitled to there own opinion.
    For those of you who don't know the carcass of the bull is usually or at least traditionally given to a local soup kitchen or the like so its not as if no good comes from this.
    I don't think that you should judge somebody's traditions if you haven't lived or grown up there.
    Finally to those of you wishing the matadors get gored how does that make you any better then them I would rather see a bull die then see a human being bleed out on the ground from being gored by a bull.

June 8, 2010 at 8:46 pm | Reply
  86. Guarena

i'm sorry but you can't just sum this art form as black and white... it really isn't like that... and it's not as easy as saying that it takes away from the bull's dignity when this art form is all about that, having the bull show what it is as an entirely beautiful creature... i'm against banning bullfighting anywhere in the world. i mean, it's really difficult to explain to most north americans who haven't been to a bullfight (sorry for the generalization) what this art form is and how it's prepared and done, it's a whole science and ritual, both cultural and economic. freedom of speech is all good and well, but you can't really have a strong argument or feeling towards this if you haven't done some research... oh, and by the way... it's scientifically proven that the bull does not endure any state of pain or suffering other than the "puyazo" that is given to him on the second quarter of the event (taken from "la fiesta, 1. el toro, el torero y su entorno" and "las rutas del toro en andalucia"... far from that, that's really what these bulls are made for, i mean, they're not wild animals that are captured... they are made by man as an experiment for it's one and only purpose, to fight the way they do... look, i'm more than happy to discuss this with anyone and to give out information towards this in a more upscale form... my email is guarena.luis@gmail.com for any of you who are interested in more information... would you rather see your dinner plate win it's life and gain fame or have it boxed up somewhere until it's fat enough, have it hanged and cut it's throat opened, stored in some freezer for six months then served to you... these animal live in royalty their entire lives until they're old enough to be taken to a plaza... they're not trained and they never even see men, they live in huge lands out in the free...

p.s.: not all bull's die, they get to win their lives and live in a great piece of land for themselves and have a bunch of cows so they can mate for the rest of their lives...

June 8, 2010 at 8:46 pm | Reply
  87. Marc, UK

I'm all for a ban on this so-called "sport" too, but how many of you meat-eaters are aware of just how much suffering the animals you eat must endure before they are then slaughtered?

Kosher slaughtering where the animal's throat is cut and it is left to slowly bleed to death is among the worst IMO.

June 8, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Reply
  88. patricia myers

I see no honor or dignaty in this so called sport! Its cruel and violant and should be banned!!

June 8, 2010 at 8:57 pm | Reply
  89. Jeff

As someone who has been to a bullfight (didn't much care for it, not that I though it was cruel, just kinda boring, I feel the same about it as I do football), I say keep it. If the people of Spain decide they want to get rid of it, fine, that is their decision. I'm not gonna sit in my chair in America and try and tell the Spaniards to get rid of a part of their culture.

As far as all the cruelty and suffering in the world goes, this is a complete non-issue for me. I always find it funny how people can get more attached to the plight of an animal over the suffering of other people...

June 8, 2010 at 9:00 pm | Reply
  90. Franco

I must add that bullfighting has a very strong cultural component and you may say that it is another excuse, but it's true. Mainly, people in big cities grow in a different culture (even in the same country), what I am saying is, as time goes on the tradition will get weaker and weaker and finally die away. It is inappropiate to try and stomp on another's people cutures even if you are convinced of the contrary. It will only get you further away from that people.

What are you going to do? Hopefully you are not going to put bullfigthing societies in reservations or go and smash their cultures like conquistadores but probably give a reliable example, like stop hunting sports, fish suffer when they are taking out of the water, ban weapons so students at universities and other people do not become targets of some kind of "crazy sport".

June 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm | Reply
  91. Rick

Sanctions should be put on countries that allow this barbaric tradition.
    The torturing and slaying of a bull in the middle of an arena is far away from being fun.

June 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm | Reply
  92. Ashley

Yes, bullfighting should be banned.

Tradition should never trump compassion.

June 8, 2010 at 9:03 pm | Reply
  93. David

Mixed feeling I have here. On one hand I am totally against animal cruelty, on the other hand bullfighting is a unique culture of Spain. Is there any alternative that we could have to reduce the killing of the animal by changing the way human plays this sport ?

June 8, 2010 at 9:03 pm | Reply
  94. Paul

I say do not ban it. But change it to be a real man's sport. If these matadors want to be macho take away their sword, let him use any weapon he can fashion with his bare hands, then you will have yourself a fight, clean and fair. I would pay to see that.

June 8, 2010 at 9:05 pm | Reply
  95. Carrie

Bull fighting is no better than gladiator fighting or throwing Christians to lions. Unnecessary violence is always wrong.

June 8, 2010 at 9:05 pm | Reply
  96. Vada

Any cruelty should be banned.
    It's rather obvious isn't it ? Dear Homo sapiens sapiens and as we claim "intelligent"...

Yeah, but what would happen with the fantastic world then.....

June 8, 2010 at 9:06 pm | Reply
  97. Mo

It should definitely be banned! Anytime I hear of a person or animal (any living creature) being 'ganged' up on, it makes my stomach turn a bit. I do understand of different cultures and different times, but barbaric rituals are something to read about not act upon, otherwise we would still be supporting human sacrafices to the Gods.

June 8, 2010 at 9:07 pm | Reply
  98. RC

It ABSOLUTELY should be banned. It's blatant animal torture and it's a "sport" for cowards.

June 8, 2010 at 9:09 pm | Reply
  99. Karen

Just because it is a tradition does not mean it is correct, ethical or should continue. Having slaves used to be a "tradition" in many families.

We, as a society, need to realize that just because animals don't speak to us does not mean they are dumb, have no feelings or should be exploited. Apply that same logic to a retarded child. Would you exploit someone who is mentally impaired just because they don't know any better?

We need to be more progressive in the ways we view animals. We can start by outlawing bullfighting.

June 8, 2010 at 9:09 pm | Reply
  100. RK ALLEMAN

Yes, by all means; but you might also think about banning the culture. This brutality of theirs, along with cockfighting, and the rest of the heinous machismo nonsense these apparently dickless wonders do for entertainment, it all points to a fouled circuit in their nature. They need to be retrained. Meanwhile, sure, let's save the animals, but consider one other option: use the bullfighters, themselves, as the target. I'll even donate those weapons the pansies use to stab the bull.

June 8, 2010 at 9:14 pm | Reply
  101. gemmunt

My very favourite videos are when the bull wins.Just like the one where the horn came out of the bull killer's mouth. Wonderful....

June 8, 2010 at 9:15 pm | Reply
  102. Ashley

Bullfighting is shameful and cruel. It isn't a 'sport', it's a coward's game in which the bulls never have a chance (they enter doomed, and are deprived of a fair chance to even fight back by being beaten and weakened with laxatives for days in advance). Everyone I've ever known who has actually witnessed a bullfight is against them now.

June 8, 2010 at 9:17 pm | Reply
  103. J Pujol

Just because something has become a tradition does not automatically make it right. Thankfully we as humans have the possibility of changing our point of view over time, thereby making possible actual changes in our actions, our ways of life. This could be called "progress"! The act of slowly killing an animal is an act of torture. Putting it on display as something to be admired and praised for is sick. Let's show more respect for living beings and put this barbaric tradition behind us.

June 8, 2010 at 9:18 pm | Reply
  104. Joel Bartlett

Yes, absolutely it should be banned!

June 8, 2010 at 9:18 pm | Reply
  105. Susan

They should stop using bulls and start tormenting people volunteers... WHAT!!!? No volunteers!? Surprise! The bulls sure didn't put their hands up either!!

June 8, 2010 at 9:18 pm | Reply
  106. Jerry Friedman

With a world full of violence, I don't see how anyone can support this bloodshed especially against an innocent victim. The bulls should not be punished for not being born human. Teach peace by example: leave them alone.

June 8, 2010 at 9:20 pm | Reply
  107. KT

Absolutely, no question.

June 8, 2010 at 9:21 pm | Reply
  108. Sly Sweeny

Bullfighting should end,its a barbaric,cruel,unfair,sick,sadistic act to a animal,the people that support this and say this is art,to me i just can't understand their thinkiing.
    Spain please get real,have a heart....
    PLEASE!!!!!

June 8, 2010 at 9:27 pm | Reply
  109. carmen4thepets

YES, DEFINITELY!!! IT SHOULD BE BANNED ALL OVER WHERE IT STILL EXISTS.

June 8, 2010 at 9:27 pm | Reply
  110. Heather M.

What kind of question is, "Should bullfighting be banned?" That's like asking if murder and rape should be illegal. Yes, an activity that causes animals pain and and suffering shhould obviously be banned!

June 8, 2010 at 9:33 pm | Reply
  111. harry W

Not only should bull fighting; excuse me bull torturing, should cease, but any activity whereby animals are displayed, forced to do acts for the pleasure of other humans.
    This spectacle is sickening and its a plight on any civilization.

Yes Bullfighting should cease.

Unfortunately its good economics for those in the field and they are going to lobby hard not to ban this spectacle. The same holds true for dog racing, horse racing, cock fighting, dog fights, etc. When it involves money it is hard to eliminate.

June 8, 2010 at 9:33 pm | Reply
  112. Evelyn Seed

Must be banned! quickly & in Colombia too

June 8, 2010 at 9:35 pm | Reply
  113. Summer Sun

Yes, it should be banned, as should cockfighting. Barbaric traditions that cannot be justified. My reasons for the ban have already been posted in several comments already.

June 8, 2010 at 9:35 pm | Reply
  114. realtalk

If the issue here is animal cruelty, we should take a good look at the way cows, chickens, and pigs are treated before we move on to the bulls. These "farm" animals live lives of complete suffering as opposed to the bull which lives a pampered life before being killed in a centuries old "tradition". Sure, lets ban bullfighting, but lets ban treating poultry, cattle, and pork like complete sh*t first if ofcourse,.....animal cruelty is your concern.

Killing is killing regardless of whether its for food or entertainment. Im not opposed to it at all as long as the animal is treated in a respectable way (which the bull is during its life, and the farm animals aren't). If we are gonna address animal cruelty, lets be serious and address it on a broader level. I dont wanna be a hypocrite who cries for the banning of bullfighting before chowing on my nice steak from a cow that lived a horrible life.

June 8, 2010 at 9:42 pm | Reply
  115. harry W

Its true that we humnas eat meat, and yes slaughter houses are not pleasant arenas. The problem here is that I believe that as the top members of the food chain do understand the difference between rasing animal as food and killing an animal as a sport.

Regardless that the bull is butchered by hand machine etc. It is still a brute tortured act to kill any animal for sport.
    Those who continue to believe that bullfighting is a tradition are those who will continue to torture animals for pleasure that is the nature of humans. However, those who believe that it is torture will continue to lobby for those so called sports to be elimninated.
    Having stated that, we should also focus our attention to how animals are being killed for food. I have no idea how its done, however, if they suffer, then there has to be a better method to their demise that reduces suffering.
    It is a tough ethical debate about food chain, but it is not no brainer concerning the killing of animals for pleasure. That must end.

June 8, 2010 at 9:44 pm | Reply
  116. Mary Tuohy

I can't understand how anyone could see the torture of an animal as entertainment or sport. I cannot understand why this has not been banned a long time ago.

June 8, 2010 at 9:44 pm | Reply
  117. Elizabeth

Tradition? Heritage? Culture? No way!!! Bullfighting is a savage attempt to kill an animal and there is no cultural quality to it. Ban it!

June 8, 2010 at 9:44 pm | Reply
  118. Toby

Bullfighting should be banned on the grounds of ethics.

June 8, 2010 at 9:47 pm | Reply
  119. John

Of course it should be banned. The Spanish people are so good at sports (Contador, Nadal, Gasol, the whole football team...) they don't need this. Let's make it a thing of the past.
    And to all the Spanish people who read this: I wish you luck in the upcoming World Cup... U R the best!

June 8, 2010 at 9:47 pm | Reply
  120. Yumil

It's such ugly and unfair spectacle than it's amazing people actually like it. Who enjoys a lynching????

June 8, 2010 at 9:51 pm | Reply
  121. Al

I always like seeing a matador cop a nice sharp bull horn up the rear. The cowards call it bull fighting by weakening the animal by draining so much of its blood. Then after the torture they kill it. Matadors are gayer than salsa dancers.

June 8, 2010 at 9:52 pm | Reply
  122. Arien

Please BAN bullfighting. That's what I always say. I am from Mexico, and when I was little, my grandparents took me almost every Sunday to watch animal torture. Not only are the bulls tortured and killed, the humans end up hurt! Why this is in any way some sort of sport or tradition, I don't know. We should have gladiators kill each other off as well, no?

June 8, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Reply
  123. Chris Bloor

The Spanish are a barbaric nation. This has been evidenced by their past when catholic soldiers butchered innocents wherever they went. It is continued today in this sub-human animal torture that causes the rest of the world to look upon Spain with disgust and disdain.

June 8, 2010 at 9:57 pm | Reply
  124. Jill Holt

Yes, it should definitely be banned. I don't understand how subjecting animals to such pain could be considered entertainment. It's barbaric.

June 8, 2010 at 10:04 pm | Reply
  125. Christalyn S

I think bull fighting should be modified. We don't allow cock fights, because of the negative effects it has on the animal. I imagine that we can modify bull fights to preserve the tradition without continuing to harm the animal.

June 8, 2010 at 10:06 pm | Reply
  126. Wendy

Good idea, Leo!

There is nothing manly about dressing up in gold lame and sequins and murdering a living creature who has no other option than to stay in the arena and be killed. There is also a town in Spain where the people light a bulls' horns on fire and laugh at him as he runs through town – scared to death and on fire. Is there a compassion gene missing in parts of Spain?

Bull fighting is a hideous "event" that has nothing to do with any form of sport.

I would love to go to Spain – I travel quite a bit – but I will NOT go to a country that allows this to continue.

June 8, 2010 at 10:09 pm | Reply
  127. joe

Please BAN ..BAN ASAP ....NEED TO BAN QUICK ..ANIMAL NEED SOME RESPECT

June 8, 2010 at 10:09 pm | Reply
  128. J J Abrams

We are worried about bullfighting? Give me a break. This is no different than netting fish, raising hogs for slaughter, commercial chicken production. If you know anything about Corriente bulls, they like being put in aggressive situations. We should be focused on fixing real issues, that are much much bigger than bullfighting–get a life people!

June 8, 2010 at 10:13 pm | Reply
  129. Adam

"....age-old tradition is something that needs to be preserved"

Tradition: The process of doing something today purely because you did it yesterday.

June 8, 2010 at 10:14 pm | Reply
  130. Lanuza

A bib, big YES from Spain. Shame on my fellow countrymen who defend this cruel and barbaric FIESTA

June 8, 2010 at 10:14 pm | Reply
  131. Dani

I'm spanish and I have to say that I hate bullfights, I think we should ban it. Indeed in the north part of spain there are no so much bullfights (only few), but in the south it's a stupid tradition.

Not all spanish ppl thinks that bullfights are well. Young people, almost of the north of Spain thinks as me. I hope they ban it, but please, don't say stupid things as "I'll never travel to Spain", becase we're not animal killers, only the idiots that support that violence to animals are idiots.

June 8, 2010 at 10:14 pm | Reply
  132. Alejandra Luther

It's barbaric! This should be banned

June 8, 2010 at 10:18 pm | Reply
  133. Silvia

Yes, it should be banned. I am sure no human would appreciate been treated like that in the name of "tradition". No excuses to create suffering.

June 8, 2010 at 10:19 pm | Reply
  134. Elliot

I'm confused – why is the repeated taunting and stabbing of a living creature, howevever cleverly done, entertainment. Have we all become Hanibal Lecters?

June 8, 2010 at 10:20 pm | Reply
  135. Charles

Humans that participate in it are savages, and the rest of the humanity should be ashamed of not being able to stop it.

June 8, 2010 at 10:30 pm | Reply
  136. Jose A. Mari Mutt

I can't understand how one can be against bull fighting and cock fightIng but in favor of boxing.

June 8, 2010 at 10:33 pm | Reply
  137. Chelsea

Bullfighting should be banned around the world, just like whaling and animals used in circuses. It's so mess up. find another way to entertain yourself. I wish every one was vegan, then the world wouldn't be going down the drain :'-(

June 8, 2010 at 10:33 pm | Reply
  138. josef

'Tradition', 'Culture', 'Art' are not supportive arguments. There are many cruelties that need to be addressed in the world and no body is suggesting that bullfighting is necessarily the worst of them. But it is public. It is one that is in-our-face. A cruelty for the purposes of entertainment.

We can no longer claim ignorance as a defence for cruelty against 'others'. The time has come for humankind to radically redefine its relationship with the non-humans we share the planet with and it will start with those injustices and agonies most visible.

We way we 'use' non-human animals in all industries has got to be re-considered. The outcry against the 'art' of bullfighting is a sign of the times. It is a cry out by people, some of whom are deeply committed to animal rights and others who are only just coming to see the changes that are taking place, calling for the eradication of animal suffering for our pleasure.

And this is what bullfighting and a great deal of meat eating, animal testing, fur wearing, animal entertainment is ... for our pleasure. It is no longer the 'need' it once was and that lack of necessity must inform our choices. To cause suffering for our pleasure is utterly unconscionable. It is barbaric.

Thanks for the posts people. Some awesome stuff up here.

June 8, 2010 at 10:34 pm | Reply
  139. GW

Only those who hate animals would support this. I was taken to a fight when I was a kid. It was in Madrid and it was horrible. The bulls were slowly tortured and I can still remember their bright red blood running down their necks as they were repeatedly stabbed by men on horses. One bull had blood coming out of his or her nose and mouth and fell to his or her knees. The sword was "misplaced" so the poor animal died slowly and painfully. It was sick and I was on the floor of the arena; 12-years-old and crying. Now I think the fighters and fans should get a taste of their own medicine.

June 8, 2010 at 10:36 pm | Reply
  140. jorge durao - portugal

Sadly, in my own country still these barbarian episodes are happenning. Even recently, the Portuguese National "Culture" Counsel was eager to create a "Fiesta Brava" department in order to preserve some of our cultural jewels (????!!!!). For these bullfighting supporters, what's their oppinion about the christians massacres in the roman arenas ? Face reality and please, step forward two thousand years.

June 8, 2010 at 10:39 pm | Reply
  141. André

So now it is all right to kill animals behind big walls (abbatoirs or slaughterhouses) but not where they can work up a bit of Endorphins to ease the pain?

Go visit a game park and see how herbivores have always been killed by carnivores.. how those cute little lions play those cute little Wildebeest to death..

Anyone who is against bullfighting should never even consider eating the flesh of dead animals. Then one could consider their arguments. Otherwise, they are just hipocrits.

June 8, 2010 at 10:55 pm | Reply
  142. Tech-Geek

I think if it were just the bull verses the Bullfighter, without any of the lances stuck in it's back, it would be fare.

June 8, 2010 at 11:00 pm | Reply
  143. luisa

Why?????
    First you should be worried about human rights, hunger, poverty,exploitation of human beings, pointless wars, people being kept in inhumane conditions, damage to the environment, lack of financial control ..... shall I go on???????
    Leave bullfighting to those who like it and who keep wild bulls from extinction. You're not forced to watch a bullfight, right? So very politely I say: mind your own business and worry about the real stuff!

June 8, 2010 at 11:05 pm | Reply
  144. Rastaman

Yes ban it. It's cruel and steals our humanity and innocence of our kids. Watching a bull stabbed to death is only fun to a madman.

June 8, 2010 at 11:06 pm | Reply
  145. Orville

Freedom of choice? Well, I don't remember anyone asking the bull. It seems like he doesn't know what's up until he gets the business end of a sword.

Let's see: the animal is run around the rings by a guy with full advantage until the bull runs out of steam and is entirely frustrated and tired. At that point the guy takes advantages of that weakness and proceeds to slaughter the animal in front of the crowd.

I fail to see the "sport" in this. There is no "skill" involved to speak of and the result (a dead animal) is the goal.

I say let's put this behind us and move on. It's not a sport, it is a public slaughter of an innocent animal. There is no "sport" in that.

June 8, 2010 at 11:07 pm | Reply
  146. Mod

NO – this is a long time tradition in Spain as well as in Mexico. Horse racing is cruel to horses here in America.

June 8, 2010 at 11:16 pm | Reply
  147. Rakesh

I agree this is cruel but only a vegetarian (or vegan) can rightfully ask bull fighting to be banned.
    Other meat eaters don't have the moral authority to ask for the ban under the name of animal cruelty.

I seen some comments of people differentiating killing animals for soprt and food. That's hypocritical. Look at the viral Ohio Animal Farm cruelty video. First do something about it, as your activism could help millions or billions of animals. Spend your outrage on millions than hundreds of bulls.

Atleast the bullfigting bull got some chance of getting even. Factory farms are shame on human kind. Help the animals in factory farms, they will thank you.

June 8, 2010 at 11:20 pm | Reply
  148. martin

I'm glad everybody gets it. The only pleasure animals should be used for is for our tongues not entertainment!

btw plz only eat factory farmed meat! Killing happy live stock is just wrong!

I'm mean really u guys! You get upset about Bullfighting and 90% of you guys will have meat with your next meal! Seriously?

It's the year 2010 ban Bullfighting! Go Veg!

June 8, 2010 at 11:21 pm | Reply
  149. Dubiousguy

If you haven't seen it in real life in Spain then you can't really comment on whether it should happen or not. Spaniards regard this as not just sport, but more like an art form. I was completely against it until I saw it in real life and wholeheartedly support it now.

June 8, 2010 at 11:22 pm | Reply
  150. LESLIE

Yes, it should be banned, there is no need for this suffering to animals, the sport does not exhibit any great athleticism on the part of the bullfighter, a more fair sport is boxing where the odds are even, VERY cruel and stupid "sport".

June 8, 2010 at 11:28 pm | Reply
  151. Carlos Navarro MD

Bullfigthing is a cultural tradition for more than 400 years in Spain, France, Mexico and other latinoamerican countries. Ignorance may create a false repudy against this tradition. The care that involves preserving the bull`s raze, the care for the pregnant cows, the care for the newborn calfs, the early youngsters as well as the main bull are amaizing, the money spent in that care too. The bull will have the opportunity to figth and even hurt or kill the man in front; also survice to procreate if is oustanding. DO NOT PERMIT TO IGNORANCE SUPRESS SUCH AN IMPORTANT CULTURE, not to mention thousend of people who lives economically around this culture.

June 8, 2010 at 11:31 pm | Reply
  152. Guillermo

Yes it should, what kind or archaic sport is that. Having fun wth torturing of an animal.

June 8, 2010 at 11:37 pm | Reply
  153. Renee

Do any of you eat meat?
    If so, why do you care about some bull?

June 8, 2010 at 11:43 pm | Reply
  154. katy

please, please ban bullfighting

June 8, 2010 at 11:45 pm | Reply
  155. Nicolas Uribe

As an animal rights activist, it is difficult for me to speak of bullfighting without resorting to profanities. It's time for Spain to enter the 20th century (and that's no misprint). For those who crave blood, there's lots of land mines that need to be cleared here in my home country (Colombia). I personally will provide each bullfighting enthusiast with a pick and shovel, and show him where to dig.

June 8, 2010 at 11:47 pm | Reply
  156. Joseph

I do agree it should be banned. But to be consistent, shouldn't all hunting and fishing for sport be banned as well?

June 8, 2010 at 11:50 pm | Reply
  157. Awake

The year is 2010 – we are already harming plenty other living entities on this planet. To willfully attach a cow in a stadium to the pleasure of others makes me sick.

It's time to grow up.

June 8, 2010 at 11:58 pm | Reply
  158. Carol Lynn Reins

Bullfighting? it's not an even playing field; the bull is trapped with no way out, it's being gored and slowly bleeding to death, getting weaker until the 'hero', the man of the hour, in his ornate costume and his erotic movements, puts finishes to the ' kill' in an orchestrated dance to the cheers of the mob. His reward ,besides groupies, is the bulls ear. Wow!

June 8, 2010 at 11:58 pm | Reply
  159. Dennis

Its a disgusting barbaric old fashion totally useless inhumane slaughter of a defenseless animal.

Spain – National sport or not, it is not right.

June 9, 2010 at 12:05 am | Reply
  160. Bertrand

I think bullfighting is wrong and should be banned from a moral perspective. However morality is not the only criterion, what about blood lust and violence and spectacle, I like these. I enjoy boxing all the better when there is a knockout and I enjoy hunting and fishing as well. I like blood guts and gore, moral or not and what I like is important, so to hell with morality and bring on the bullfighting! But then I have never seen a bullfight so perhaps my cupidity would be offended in any case, as even when I hunt I am the most "moral" hunter I know.

June 9, 2010 at 12:07 am | Reply
  161. Malcolm Bell

It was superbly gratifying to see the matador being gored through the throat last week....finally score one for the bull. I can just see all the high fives going around in "bull-heaven" or maybe even a standing wave.

June 9, 2010 at 12:13 am | Reply
  162. ian stevenson

i have been to dozens of bullfights & love the spectacle as that is all it is really bad luck for the bull i have also a few thousand really great photos of corrida fantastic

June 9, 2010 at 12:14 am | Reply
  163. Brandon

I went to my first ever bullfight recently in Las Ventas, Madrid. I was absolutely disgusted and in awe after one bull, so much that I was forced to watch a second because I was frozen for the intermission, which is the only time you can leave.

I even counted ten men versus one bull in one moment, which is rarely depicted or even mentioned. Secondly, the bull defending itself is no justification for the torture that ensues, as the bulls do not sign contracts.

The fact that this still remains a question, whether to ban bullfighting, is disturbing to say the least.

June 9, 2010 at 12:16 am | Reply
  164. Pipo Koeien

I, Main-land European living in Spain for some years, believe this is over within the next (10) years.

Why:
    Because the level of education is (slowly) rising in Spain (after Franco).
    And:
    "The European Union is spending £30 million per year to support Spanish bullfights, which will kill at least 40,000 bulls this year. The EU has also renovated bullrings and is being urged by the Spanish government to recognise bullfighting as representative of Europe's cultural heritage."

Without European money this was long gone.

June 9, 2010 at 12:18 am | Reply
  165. CC

I live in the Basque region of France where this is also done all summer long. Every town has an arena and a fete during the summer. Its the highlight of the year and I find it really offensive. When I try to argue with the people here they say its tradition. Well the gladiators were tradition too but we became civilized and realized how cruel this was. The coridas should stop too. How fun can it be to be to go watch the slow death of an animal? And, the animal is locked in a tiny, hot dark room to get them extra angry before the fight.

June 9, 2010 at 12:21 am | Reply
  166. hC

ban ban ban!

June 9, 2010 at 12:21 am | Reply
  167. T. Salvato

Yes it should be banned and people supporting it reported to the local mental health clinic.

June 9, 2010 at 12:22 am | Reply
  168. Robert Caine

Bullfighting is nothing more than animal cruelty. People always find the argument that activities involving cruelty to animals is part of their tradition or culture. How can we place more import on tradition when the pain and suffering of innocent animals is at stake? Personally, I oppose all animal cruelty: hunting, fishing, laboratory animal testing, meat eating, bullfighting, and all other activities that exploit, torture, and kill animals. What does the continuation of animal abuse say about our species? Historically, we have fought sexism, rascism, agism, homophobia, and now, we must address the oppression of our non-human fellow earthlings...

June 9, 2010 at 12:27 am | Reply
  169. Rullens Phillip

If bull fighting is banned, there will be no more steak on he dinner table.

June 9, 2010 at 12:42 am | Reply
  170. Annette

Bullfighting is not about macho men trying to prove themselves in front of a bull like I read in some comments. It is much more than that, it is an artistic depicture of life itself. Man confronting its fears and its animal nature. Falling down and getting up over and over. It is about passion, dedication, patience and perseverance. No wonder it has inspired so many works of art and quite a few of our expressions. To understand it you have to understand life itself. Bullfighters dedicate their life to it for what it means to them, even if it isn't an easy path. And until our nature is such it should not be banned.

June 9, 2010 at 12:44 am | Reply
  171. catalans and bull fighting..(there is NO bull fighting in catalunya)

right, like the other guy said...the catalans are chumps and they are using this just for political fodder against madrid..

in catalunya...esp barcelona...turists are treated worse than the bulls..by the catalans and the moors...

THERE IS NO BULL FIGHTING IN CATALUNYA!! I LIVED THERE 8 YEARS... it was already banned there...

catalans are the worse people in spain and greece...and morroco..

June 9, 2010 at 12:46 am | Reply
  172. Mel

It would be fine as a "sport," but if it has to culminate in killing the bull, I say "ban it!"

June 9, 2010 at 12:52 am | Reply
  173. huxley

I have been to a bull fight in MEXICO. Didnt;t like it and walked out.

June 9, 2010 at 12:56 am | Reply
  174. Dave

The craziest thing I have ever read here was the comment " Banning it doesn't infringe on anyone's 'freedom of speech' or 'freedom of choice' " I wonder what exactley is the meaning of freedom to some people?

June 9, 2010 at 1:01 am | Reply
  175. Carlos

One thing yes it is Cruel but muslims eat Halal Meat for of you who dont know what that means the animals have to bleed to death until they can be eaten by a cut in throat. They dont give them a Instantaious death. Surly stop that! FIRST! More animals suffer awfully in total because of these ways adopted by Muslims i dont care of you Muslims who think its allowed it should not be allowed! Britain has allowed it but it should be banned, fox hunting was more civilised than that, one shot dead. End of. Oh and fox's they used to eat all the farm animals and there were alot of foxes therefore fox hunting was a tradition too.

Bull fighting well first of all, its not exactly a sport, its been there for many years its a tradition every year. There are more than 150,000 people in spain who favour it. Bull fighting is very skillful when you watch it and dangerous. Only Few men would stand infront of one. They are Huge.

This ban will never happen no matter what the people say. Especially with unemployment. Theses bull fights require alot of people (a chain of people infact) to make it happen and with 25% Unemployment in spain already it definately wont happen any time soon. If the goverment was to take it up and consider it there would be alot of protests because its been around for many years.

Yes it is quite cruel but those bulls are especially bred to go in the ring. Which although still sounds cruel its what they are made to do. And stopping this system will inflict with many businesses.

June 9, 2010 at 1:06 am | Reply
  176. Ann

It should be banned long time ago.
    What's the fun in watching a bull being killed in front of your eyes.

June 9, 2010 at 1:07 am | Reply
  177. Lee

It just reminds me of gladiators of ancient times. Its definitely cruel and should not be allowed to continue in this age and time. Some traditions are best kept as part of history, like the gladiators.

June 9, 2010 at 1:07 am | Reply
  178. Omar, Riverside, California

The problem here is that this story is taken from another country and their culture.
    For one thing I do not agree with animal activist. Why? Because they are mostly hypocritical about what they are saying. No animal cruelty but wear shoes made of leather. or belts. etc..

Next It is not your right to put down anothers cultural beliefs. You can voice that you do not like it but callnig it barbaric is the same as calling boxing barbaric or american footbal. Should those be banned as well?

As for animal cruelty you folks have no clue. Animals that are bread for sport are treated better than the animals that are bread for food.

In my opinion which is my right to voice as is your right to voice your opinion. Bullfighting should be preserved as the culture who ones it has a right to it.
    I personally am sick of all the self rightious freaks out there that consider it their business to tell other countries and the peoples of those countries how to run their lives and what should be preserved of their cultural heritage.

June 9, 2010 at 1:15 am | Reply
  179. noi

If a freedom of choice is the main idea of keeping the bull fighting, then a matador should not use any kind of weapon to fight the bull.

June 9, 2010 at 1:22 am | Reply
  180. Omar

Its a shame that it isn't banned as we move into the second decade of the second millenia.This so called "sport" sounds like a sport from the medieval era or the roman times, its strange that it is still legal in one of the most respected countries with a great heritage and value. I am ALWAYS on the bull's side. As sadistic as this may sound, I become filled with joy when a bull gores one of the inhumane humans in the arena. Teaches them a lesson, don't mess with nature.
    And for Luis Corrales the president of the "Platform for the Defence of Bullfighting" who says its freedom of speech and choice, please note thay me stabbing you or shooting you in the face is also freedom of choice, so for God's sake, choose another argument and try to make it reasonable.

June 9, 2010 at 1:25 am | Reply
  181. Marie

Under the banner of “tradition” (and what a pitiful excuse that word is) atrocities and injustices are committed every day all over the world and they all stem from man’s greed and cruelty. Since we cannot discuss all the world’s cruelties and injustices here and now and we’re talking about a specific kind of cruelty: “bullkilling” (the term “bullfighting” entails at least an even chance of success for both participants which this is obviously not), let’s get rid of this particular tradition which is at best, an atrocity and an insult to everything that is good in human beings. A tradition is merely a habit started by someone and followed by many but if a habit is wrong, why keep repeating it just because it’s a “tradition”? Hey Mr King Juan Carlos, why not have some balls and make a decree to stop these barbarous killings? If you did, it would at least justify your job!

Marie

June 9, 2010 at 1:33 am | Reply
  182. Paola Lyon

Shame on the EU for not making the abolition of bullfighting a condition for Spain's entry.
    There is no excuse for such a barbaric tradition which should have been eliminated a long time ago if Spain wants to call itself a "civilized country"
    Anybody who thinks of it as entertainment is nothing but a sadist and should be in treatment.

June 9, 2010 at 1:43 am | Reply
  183. martin

Ban bull fighting in Spain then we should ban sport hunitng in America as well nobody needs to be out killing deer, moose, bear ect..
    But then we would have no need of guns and we really can't have that can we as the gun lobby would be up in arms about that.

June 9, 2010 at 1:44 am | Reply
  184. Robert

Bullfighting is utterly cruel and should be banned. The idea of even referring to it as a "sport" is absurd... a spectacle perhaps. For such abject cruelty to an animal to serve as "entertainment" degrades us as a society and certainly is degrading to the bulls.

Comparing bullfighting to the slaughterhouses overlooks some key points... animal slaughter for harvesting meat takes place very quickly, and the process is not on display for "entertainment" whereas bullfighting prolongs the suffering of the animal for "entertainment." Why don't they call it "bull torture"?

June 9, 2010 at 1:47 am | Reply
  185. Alice Natividad

I agree with those who are saying "why isn't it banned yet?"

This has no place in a "now-civilized-society"

June 9, 2010 at 1:53 am | Reply
  186. ann

Definitely,
    Has anyone ever asked a bull how he enjoys it. It is Brutal, and quite an Ignorant sport...

June 9, 2010 at 1:56 am | Reply
  187. don't bully me anymore !

slowly killing a terrified animal just for fun, is not worthwhile. other bloodsports like dogfights are also banned and so should bullfights. civilised people enjoy soccer or another game in their weekend, not the sadistic killing of an animal.

June 9, 2010 at 2:01 am | Reply
  188. v ramage

Hit the wrong button. No I don't think that it should be banned.

June 9, 2010 at 2:07 am | Reply
  189. dsanch

Bullfighting is cruel, inhumane, and barbaric. How is the torture and slow death of an animal art? How can a supposedly modern society even accept such a practice in its midst? That the majority of the Spanish population still supports such a thing is precisely the reason I will not spend a dime to go to that country. And to those who claim it is part of their culture and their history...the Romans use to kill people for sport in the Colisseum. Should modern Italians claim that it is ok to continue doing so as it is part of their cultural history?

June 9, 2010 at 2:16 am | Reply
  190. clara

BULLFIGHTING is arcane and driven by testosterone. It can
    end today and only a few would notice something had gone away.
    And yes- it is about freedom of choice. Freedom for all living creatures
    to have the ability to have and lead a natural life. Free from distress,
    abuse, cruelty and premature [murder] and death. These rights
    should seem self evident for all living creatures and shouldn't be
    reserved for only the most dominant and narrcistic of species.
    Animal rights is not about letting a chimp vote, its about
    letting all creatures live life to the fullest. If that threatens you
    – you are the problem.

June 9, 2010 at 2:39 am | Reply
  191. Andrew

Why are you doing this to the bulls? 😦

June 9, 2010 at 3:11 am | Reply
  192. Yatsina

Of course it should be banned! it is a cruel disgusting activity, it's not even a sport!

June 9, 2010 at 5:48 am | Reply
  193. Abhinav

Honestly!!! Why the hell are we debating about this! The amount of suffering and pain these bulls go through for entertainment is just ridiculous, there is no doubt that bull fighting should be banned.
    Those of you who think bullfighting is part of the spanish CULTURE, surely need to consult lexicons and do a bit of research. Just because a few disturbed idiots thought it was entertaining, bullfighting cannot be classified as spanish culture.

In India we have been trying to convince the authorities that Animal Sacrifice has never been part of our culture and it should be banned.

I guess its the same story around the globe. Animal abuse has become a serious concern everywhere. Please save lives and STOP being so cruel....

June 9, 2010 at 7:11 am | Reply
  194. fayna

I'm a Spaniard and I really think bullfighting should be banned. I'm -as many others- ashamed of this horrible tradition and I strongly believe that Spain is a XXI century country where there's no place for this bloody show. It is not an sport and neither is a cultural event; it is only the public torture of a sentient animal, something that should be banned, no matter how old the tradition is. Most of the Spaniards are against bullfighting and the ones who support it are usually related to extreme right wing ideology. I really hope we can banned it in Catalonia, and then, in the rest of Spain.

June 9, 2010 at 7:36 am | Reply
  195. Giovanna

Excellent report.. Can we also see the debate by the League Against Cruel Sports and Countryside Alliance representatives.. that followed this report. It was good .. Would like to watch it again to see the countryside alliance bloke car crash his poor arguments

June 9, 2010 at 7:45 am | Reply
  196. sher moore

I find it extremely worrying that people should get pleasure out of watching an animal suffer. In fact I find it horrific, but it does explain why things are so very wrong with our society and where we should look if we want to better this society which is based on feeling stronger by crushing others and inflicting pain – on others of course. Compassion and interior generosity are our only weapons if we fight for improvement.
    As for the 'tradition' theory, and also that of 'culture' , all I can say is: infibulation is one of the world's oldest traditions. Does that make it right?

June 9, 2010 at 8:11 am | Reply
  197. Eva ramos alcolea

Bullfighting is a shame for a big part off Catalonian society. We don't want this cruel traditions. There's a lot off cruel customs left by the way because people becames conscious off pain and understands that some traditions are good but some others insults our dignity as humans off our time.

June 9, 2010 at 8:27 am | Reply
  198. Vegan-chick

Bullfighting should absolutely be banned, and not just in Catalonia. It is cruel and barbaric and the bulls are horrifically tortured before and during the fight. Tradition can NEVER be a justification for animal cruelty.

June 9, 2010 at 8:30 am | Reply
  199. Ariadna

I am from Catalonia, Spain, signed this petition and helped looking for people signing it. It is a shame for us, all Catalan and Spanish people, to have such a blood show as part of our entertainment. Children grow thinking animals are a toy to play with and even torture it as they see this behaviour in the adults. Last month a little cow was beaten up until death by teenagers during a show in a small village here. Are we to blame these kids that have grown up so wrong? This is our fault, as society, and the only way to change it is by humanizing our relationships with animals and banning bullfighting.

June 9, 2010 at 8:30 am | Reply
  200. nupy

Ryan I agree with you about the way are the other animals treated for food, but at least nobody is making an entertaiment show with it.

But it is simply not right teach suffering and death to a child as if it was football.

Besides, give an animal a good life is not an excuse to do whatever we like with it.

And I don´t know if you kwon anything about how the animal doesn`t see any light or food for two das before it is released in the "Arena"... and other things to make sure the fight is not fair...

Ryan June 8th, 2010 4:38 pm ET

June 9, 2010 at 8:43 am | Reply
  201. carlos arillo

of course, bullfighting in spain is a cultural shame. we should stop this barbaric and senseless cruelty against animals.

June 9, 2010 at 9:20 am | Reply
  202. Laura

"Freedom of choice"?? So if i choose that i want to kill a person, i can do it, according to this argument. Animals are living creatures, as well as we are, not things that we can use to have fun with.

June 9, 2010 at 10:04 am | Reply
  203. Lorena

It´s a shame that in xxi century, we are still doing this barbaric thing!!! And when i think that is people paying money to see this... is so sad. We don´t owe the animals, we don´t owe the world!!! we are just guests, and this is our behavior... what a pitty!! what a shame!!!

June 9, 2010 at 11:11 am | Reply
  204. Guillermo Campos

I was born in Spain. I was raised in Spain. I've always lived in Spain. And I could never stop being ashamed of the land I'm living in.
    Spain has been a country with a very poor cultural level in comparison with many EU country members. When I was a kid, it was legal to broadcast bullfighting. I remember being shocked by the images shown on the TV whenever an atrocious bullkilling was perpetrated. I never could stand that. Fortunately, some restrictions have been carried out, and no more bullfighting is broadcast outside from watershed hours. This means Spain began, though in a very shy tempo, the path of social and cultural evolution. Now the time has arrived to demonstrate Spain can, at last, perform a true and practical development for the sake of animals, as well as for the sake of people.
    Ban the anti-cultural and barbaric bullfighting practices, each one of its many shapes.

June 9, 2010 at 11:18 am | Reply
  205. Maribel Alvarez

Of course it must be banned not only in Spain but in the whole world! It is a barbaric and cruel tradition that makes all Spanish people feel ashamed about the way we treat animals in our country
    The bull choosed to be send to bullfighting will be prematurely separated from his family and tested with bloody methods. He would live 4 or 5 years in a males flock , with his natural instincs repressed. He will finish his short life injured, drained, carved up. There's no reason to keep on this barbarism cruelty, which in addition is helped with million of euros coming from the European Union.

June 9, 2010 at 11:52 am | Reply
  206. Ariadna

Guillermo Campos, I totally agree with you. Myself too, as a kid, was shocked by the images in the telly and returned to me as nightmares for years.

June 9, 2010 at 11:52 am | Reply
  207. Miguel

These idiots who want to ban bullfighting are stupid, and need to worry about kids,not how a cow looses its dignity. It's part of our culture, and a tradition for milenia,if they don't like it don't watch it. Besides that bull gets sold at the market after wards,so they need to stop trying to control what we do,watch, and the way we think. If you don't like it in Spain get the hell out of here,and take your views with you.

June 9, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Reply
  208. Marcia

This barbaric torture needs to end. When did we all decide that it was entertainment or sport to support murdering life?

June 9, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Reply
  209. Manuel

It should: history nor culture don't justify the suffering of the bulls.

June 9, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Reply
  210. lanuza

For Guillermo Campos:

The Spanish national TV network (TVE-Public Co.) does not broadcast bullfights anymore but other TV Stations do. For instance, Telemadrid, the public channel of the Madrid region every weekend in spring-summer offers this barbaric show in the middle of the evening. Besides, after the proposal in the Catalan parliament to ban "corridas" in Cataluña, Madrid (ruled by the rightest, almost extreme right, PARTIDO POPULAR,) has declared bullfighting a tradition of cultural interest to be protected by the public institutions. With two cojones..... Shame on them.

June 9, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Reply
  211. Miguel

I say ban all these idiots trying to deball Spain. You rape your bunnies some were else, if you're ashamed of your country or want it to be like another country then move out you stupid morons. Now I'm going to enjoy a medium rare steak in all of the ARATS name.

June 9, 2010 at 4:06 pm | Reply
  212. Karlyn

What a waste to continue this bloodly "sport"

June 9, 2010 at 6:51 pm | Reply
  213. Eureka Morrison

Of course bull fighitng must be banned! Anyone who disagrees is on his/her way to hell. For their is no place in God's SPACE for humans who inflict cruelty on animals, for whatever reason, and that includes bloody cultural (or rather lack of 'culture') sports / fiestas!

June 9, 2010 at 9:01 pm | Reply
  214. Luis Miguel Perez

I am sorry to inform all of you that, if it wasn't for the art of fighting bulls, the species known as Bos Taurus Africanus or Brave Bull, would simply be extinct. True this tradition that dates back 2,000 years is a bloody spectacle, but it is an industry in which many people live from, same as butchers, chicken farms, etc.

Banning it or not is an endless debate. We as humans ultimately make the final decision to support or not support this spectacle and thus going to see it in person or via TV, or never seeing it at all. But banning this spectacle runs the risk of what most animal rights activists fear the most: extinction of the race altogether.

June 9, 2010 at 11:45 pm | Reply
  215. Rachael Pahl

We're ten years into the 20th century and senseless people still cannot find it in themsleves to understand why bullfighting is outdated nonetheless morally wrong. It's disgusting. This has gone way too far and needs to stop.

June 10, 2010 at 2:23 am | Reply
  216. john

Years of evolution have done nothing to these people. Bullfighting is savage.

June 10, 2010 at 4:12 am | Reply
  217. Pam

It's incomprehensible that in the 21st century, this question is still being asked.

Any spectacle in which horrific cruelty is inflicted on animals for "entertainment" has absolutely no place in a civilised society.

My dictionary defines "sadism" as "a perversion in which pleasure is obtained by inflicting or watching cruelty"........sounds like an accurate description of bullfighting.

June 10, 2010 at 10:55 am | Reply
  218. Mike

Bullfighting is not sport! Whoever said it was? Hemingway knew, so why do people like Gervais not know? They want to ban something they know nothing about. More socialist ignorance
    It is the Spanish culture, which is why the Catalans want to ban it. They do not want anything in Catalonia that is associated with Spain. They couldn't care less about cruelty. I've seen them outside of the bullrings...Rentamob as usual, hired for the occasion.
    If you want to read about the day's corrida in the paper, you will find it in Culture section, not the Sports section. If you like it or not, please learn that simple fact.

June 10, 2010 at 11:05 am | Reply
  219. Carmen

I born and live in Spain, and the bullfighting is a shame for me...

June 10, 2010 at 11:17 am | Reply
  220. Belen

Thanks! I'm from Catalonia and I love the animals.
    Spain it's crazy.

June 10, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Reply
  221. Spaniard

Hello everyone,

I´m a spaniard who thinks (i´m not the only one here) that bullfighting should be banned. I feel ashamed everytime that somebody link my procedence with this carnage...

I Hope that all the goverments from another countries make pressure to our leaders to stop this.

June 10, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Reply
  222. Nerea

I'm Spanish, and I can say that bullfighting is not in my culture.
    Yes, the bull lives a good life, but we dont torture our kitties because they had a great life at our home, do we?
    The suffering of an animal is not a show and it should obviously be banned.
    The majority of the people who support bullfighting are aged 60+.
    Those are the ones that still think that women should stay at home and take care of the babies while she cooks for her beloved husband. We don't pay attention to what they say on that matter, so we shouldn't what they say about that stupid so-called tradition, which has already been banned in the past.
    Anyway, from here I can say that Spain is not bullfightings, paella, lazyness and ole ole at all. There are many good things here, but as they saw in the past that this was what attracted tourism, they stick to them.
    It is really sad that people who think about themselves as intelligents believe on these prejudices.

June 10, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Reply
  223. Nuria

I'm against this torture. And yeah this represents spain... but is torture a good representation of it? I don't think so.

June 10, 2010 at 7:15 pm | Reply
  224. nick_clark

I'm spanish, and I TOTALLY AGAINST this barbarism. ABOLITION NOW!

Greetings from Spain.

June 10, 2010 at 10:14 pm | Reply
  225. bib1608

Look closely at images of the bullring, it was 4/5 empty of the opening of the season in Barcelona...

June 11, 2010 at 9:49 am | Reply
  226. Chris Cooper

Yes, all forms of torture-tainment should be banned.
    Violence against animals encourages violence against people, it debases society as a whole. just look at the number of domestic violence incidents in Spain, Mexico and Colombia. All 3 countries have the bullfighting torture-tainment tradition. however over 70 percent of the people in spain are aginst it and want it banned. It´s a business which is subsidised by the government. Without government approval it would have died out decades ago.

June 11, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Reply
  227. cristina

I'm spanish, from Barcelona. Never been at the "corrida" but don't understand why should be banned. Bullfighting can evolve to a "non-death" show, for example. Bullfighting is not worse than feeding and killing animals for feeding, whose lives are hell from the very first minute. What about zoos, or circus?

Besides, this is not a question of animal rights. What politicians are working on is abolition of a "spanish sign" in Catalonia, as many others, walking on the indepency path.

Bullfighting in catalonia is very small. Smaller than the repecussion of the political debate. We don't need to ban. We need to educate our society into respect, animal and human rights, etc. and bullfighting as any other cruel shows will disappear with time... Until then, just don't go. As most of us, catalans, do.

June 18, 2010 at 10:20 am | Reply
  228. Craig

So much hipocracy on here with everyone wanting to ban this. I'm certainly not a bullfighting fan and think it's pretty disgusting myself, but why are a certain segment of the population trying to control what another segments does. Don't watch it if you don't want to. As has been mentioned, animals bred to be killed like pigs, chickens, cows, etc are treated in much more "inhumane" ways, but there is not as much outrage.

A lot of sentiment has been expressed about how it's horrible to find it entertaining to see a bull killed in such a manner. Then I take a look at the top box office movies and I see this horror/gore fest movies that make lots of money. People finding entertainment in other people being mutilated and such. Even though it's not real, it sure looks it but there's not much outrage over that either.

Some people find blood entertaining, some don't. Not everyone is the same and people don't need to force their morals/views on other segments of the population.

June 19, 2010 at 7:13 pm | Reply
  229. ruben

Yessssss it should be this is century 21 and we still watching how a narcissus stab a innocence animal how do you call the type of people that like to watch blood running oh masochism this is just irrational and cruel.

June 20, 2010 at 1:24 am | Reply
  230. Dave

Fighting bulls are so fierce that they cannot be used for any other purpose. They would be prohibitively expensive to keep without the ability to be sold for fights. If bullfighting is banned there is no reason to have that breed of bull for any reason. The entire strain will disappear. How would that "protect" the bulls?

July 27, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Reply
  231. Al

I hope those people that oppose bullfighting are also avid opponents of abortion (the killing of the unborn) as abortion is even more cruel than bullfighting.
    Let's work on saving the people first then we can worry about the animals.
    I suppose the supporters of bullfighting could call it "pro-choice", eh?
    Either way, people should get their priorities straight regarding life on earth.
    People come first, then the rest.

July 28, 2010 at 8:57 pm | Reply
  232. shabana

When i first heard of bullfighting i never knew that torturing and killing of the bulls was part of it untill recently. I have not been able to sleep since. How has this ever been allowed??? What kind of people would torture a helpless animal for entertainment???

We need to do something to stop this barbaric blood sport!!!!!

I pray to god that all people involved in the torture of these animals have the same happen to them. Only then will they realise what suffering they have been causing these poor bulls. Please read the real facts about bullfighting. These bulls have been tortured for weeks before they are even bought in to the ring!!!!!!

July 29, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Reply