Tune in at 16:00 London, 19:00 UAE

Monday's Connector: Bob Bradley

June 30th, 2010

American football coach, Bob Bradley is fresh off his team's tough defeat at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, but still maintains that he is proud for how his side have done.

Bob Bradley is your Connector of the Day.

Bob Bradley is your Connector of the Day.

The 52-year-old manager of the American national soccer team took the U.S. side unbeaten through the group stage matches with a win against Algeria and draws against England and Slovenia.

In the second round, the American team played a tough Ghana side and the game went into extra time with the Ghana team eventually claiming victory with a 1-2 win.

"I thought at 1-1 we had a chance, but we didn't have enough freshness against all of Ghana's power," Bradley said.

"We have a great squad. We're proud but also disappointed not to have gone further."

Bradley took over managing the team in December 2006 and quickly took his team to a number of wins in friendly matches against teams like Mexico.

In his first year as manager, Bradley took the U.S. side to an impressive record of 12 wins, one draw and five losses.

One of the highlight's for the U.S. side came in 2009 when the team finished in second place in the Confederations Cup. The Americans even managed to beat the world's number one ranked team and European champions, Spain.

1. Margery Guillen Chiapas, Mexico

I am an senior citizen and love soccer.You have done a great job coaching the U.S. team and I enjoy watching them play–who do you think will win the cup? I'm rooting for Spain.

June 30, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Reply
  2. Eric

I'm an American living in Germany. My son is 13 and is presently playing on the DFB all-star team in our region. He would like to spend his summer in the USA and visit a soccer camp not only to see how soccer is taught in America but also to improve his English. Which camp would you recommend he go to?

June 30, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Reply
  3. Daniel Ale

I am Brazilian and over here football is all!!! I mean the most loved sports over is football(soccer) over there,maybe thats why we are the best in this sport.I think that you are doing a great job over there but do you think that someday USA will win a such important tournament like the world cup? since the investment on football over there is so little? I mean in contrast to others countries?

June 30, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Reply
  4. Tyler, Blacksburg, VA

I had a few questions regarding the lineup for Ghana. First off, why was Onyewu benched the past few matches? Was it because of the injury? Also, was the decision to move Clark into the starting lineup based on the specific matchup against Ghana or was he showing something the days before?

June 30, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Reply
  5. Dan DeVilder

Hi Bob,

When did soccer become your passion? Also, do you and Michael ever "spar" over soccer tactics, or are you always on the same wave length?

Bob, I appreciate your contribution to making American soccer stronger–on many levels. I have followed it since living in Germany as a kid–tho I am American. After many decades of obscurity, I am excited to see signs of life in the States (re: soccer's popularity). You have been a big part of that. Thanks! The Confed Cup rocked, too! 🙂

June 30, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Reply
  6. Jonathan Moore

Coach, first of all, thank you so much for all that you did for the USA team in South Africa! You've given life to soccer in a country where it was desperately needed.

My question is what is the future of our squad? How many of our current players will still be able to play in 2014 (because of age)? Also, do you think we will see a lot of new talent on our team in 2014 because of all the exposure given this summer?

June 30, 2010 at 6:10 pm | Reply
  7. Efrain

Hello, I currently live in the Netherlands and everybody was proud and please to see the USA team get as far as they did. My question is...Your two strikers Altimore/Finley did not do much in the group stage or anything against Ghana, do you see the USA team bringing in others in the future (2014) to compete against the finest defenses from South America or European teams? Also, will the defense get stronger in the future too? Thanks

Efrain

June 30, 2010 at 6:49 pm | Reply
  8. Jurgen R. Brul

Hello Robert "Bob" Bradley and CNN friends,

I would like an answer from Robert Bradley on the following questions:
    – What needs to be done with America National Soccer Team in order to win 2010–11 CONCACAF Champions League?
    – What is your opinion on the referees decisions during the 2010 World Cup in South Africa?
    – Who will win the South Africa World Cup?
    – What can we expect from you in 2010?
    – How are you inspiring people all over the world to make our world a Better Healthier and Beautiful Place?

I am awaiting Robert "Bob" Bradley’s replies.

Greetings,
    Jurgen R. Brul
    Hometown: Paramaribo
    Country: Suriname

June 30, 2010 at 8:08 pm | Reply
  9. Omer B

Hello Mr. Bradley, I was just wondering what your strategy was by putting Jozy Altidore out in front? He is a strong aggressive player and even very fast once he gets going, however, he is not quick nor agile enough to make speedy clutch shots on goal which I thought would be a primary requirement for a player in his position on the field. Looking back, would you have changed the line up?

June 30, 2010 at 9:51 pm | Reply
  10. Omer B

Omer Bila, Turkey

June 30, 2010 at 9:54 pm | Reply
  11. Jean Paul, Valenciennes, France

I'm American of Italian mother living in France: of these three countries participating to the Wolrd Cup, I take great pride for the US team. They gave their heart and soul in every match, never giving up, their game was dynamic and fun to watch for all soccer lovers in the world.
    A few questions:
    1) what do you think about the controversial issue of introducing video replays to help the referees? Why do you think FIFA is so opposed? Have the many mistakes made in this World Cup further distanced Americans from this sport?
    2) the US is probably the only American country, together maybe with Canada, where soccer is not the most popular sport and, even worse, is considered a game for sissies (I would really like to see how many football players could stand 90 or more minutes of intense running...).
    According to you, Bob, what are the real reasons for this (historical, economical, cultural,etc)?

Keep up the excellent work: you have the support of all American soccer lovers around the globe.

June 30, 2010 at 10:05 pm | Reply
  12. Kimo

Coach Bradley,

For sometime many football critics have said that CONCACAF is a weak region in terms of the quality of the teams.

With Mexico and the US consistently qualifying for World Cups with little opposition do you think it would be a good idea to expand the federation and invite countries like Peru, Venezuela or Colombia to join?

June 30, 2010 at 10:50 pm | Reply
  13. Mike Gundlach

Coach
    In each game, there were several things evident, the defense was too slow, (and center defense was atrocious), the midfield lacked creativity, and the attack (not counting gift goals nor counter attacks) was one dimensional. Looking back what changes would you have made in either the 23 man roster or within your game specific starting lineups? As form and pace seemed to be a huge problem for us, especially in the Ghana match, what would you have done differently to prepare for the match? Finally, as goal scoring opportunities continued to be an issue both in quantity and finishing, what would you have done differently in prepping the team?

June 30, 2010 at 11:00 pm | Reply
  14. Miguel

Echoing past comments, kudos to you and the team. Been impressed with the progress U.S. soccer has made and looking forward to a U.S. World Cup win in my lifetime.

Question: did the team know that Bill Clinton was present? Did President Obama reach out to you and the team? How important is the support of top leaders in a team's performance on the field?

I'm trying to understand how influential winning the Cup would be in fueling national pride (like it does for so many other countries), and if so, what people leading the country can help in achieving that goal.

June 30, 2010 at 11:18 pm | Reply
  15. P.N. Oak

With all due respect I must say that first of all the USA must be encouraged with its own Olympic!!!...where American sports and activities like; Bungy Jumping, Roller Derby, Barrel Racing, Professional Wrestling, Line Dancing, Parent beating and ultimately killing, Hostage taking, Drug intake, Carjacking, Yard Sales, Garage Sales, "promote a republican," war mongering, siring children out of wedlock, pick-pocketing, "dealing in religion and god" and a host of other bizarre things should be the programs. By the way: "we ain't not them others...we are diffent!"

Another word: "Soccer is the game played in the US where they break each other's bones and rarely do the players use their feet...Football is a game in civilized societies."

July 1, 2010 at 1:00 am | Reply
  16. Adam Richter

I have coached soccer in Rochester, N.Y. for 30 years.
    My last 8 years of coaching “men’s Premier Division Team” In Rochester N.Y. league”, all of player’s consisted of college age players (between age 18 -25).
    Thru the years of coaching I had players from; Jamaica, Brazil, Germany, England, Poland, Canada, Italy and others.
    I still consider American born players that have roots with other parts of world, better players, their working ethic and determination is higher than some of Europeans or South Americans players.
    The big problem with American National level coaching is that the National team need to be nurtured for longer time that is given.
    Preparation for international competition or yet for World Cup is on another level!
    Team mates need to be able to understand each other in and out.
    Every movement on a soccer field must be like a clock work.
    Player were about on the field at all the time is crucial in the game of soccer.
    Example: You can compare this to a person playing instrument, perfection in playing the instrument at all the time is the key.
    You cannot build a team in a month time, they have to play as a team for at least 9 months or longer.
    “Then you can call them team”.
    Otherwise they are bunch of players playing pick-up game.
    The National level of USA soccer needs to be re-built. This is another issue.
    Sincerely
    Adam Richter

July 1, 2010 at 2:23 am | Reply
  17. Cian OSullivan

Coach Bradley,

Congrats on a great run.

What are your thoughts on the issues with referees. You had a few questionable calls against you causing issues with goals, and teams like Mexico, Australia, and England suffered from very questionable calls.
    How would you address this issue in a manner that could be repeated through most tiers of football? (i.e. not including expensive technology)

Cian from Kitchener Ontario, Canada.

July 1, 2010 at 2:58 am | Reply
  18. sergio cervantes

I just have one question for you, what are the chances for you to continue as manager for the United States in the years to come?

July 1, 2010 at 4:01 am | Reply
  19. Taylor

Hey Coach Bradley-
    I'm a very big fan of US soccer and have been since 2002. Thanks for all you've done for the sport in this country, couple of questions:
    -Are reports about your desire to come back as coach for another USA WC run accurate?
    -What compelled you to start Cherundolo over Spector? I personally thought Spector was the better option
    – What put Robbie Findley on the squad ahead of say, Brian Ching or Eddie Johnson? and why didn't Dempsey just start the games at forward?
    -When do you think Charlie Davies will come back? Possibly against Brazil in August? We missed him dearly this year in South Africa

Congratulations on topping the group for the first time since 1930! Good Luck in the future! I sure hope you get a contract extension, i honestly could not think of a better candidate to lead our team than you.

-Thanks,
    Taylor
    Austin, Texas, USA

July 1, 2010 at 4:44 am | Reply
  20. Michael from India

I admire the US Soccer team and their coach, they have performed extremely well and amazing. they need to play more in Europe to increase competitiveness.

Bob did a wonderful job. please continue this.

July 1, 2010 at 4:50 am | Reply
  21. Erich

I am a US/Swiss citizen living in Vevey, Switzerland.

Congrats to you and the entire US team! Will you remain coach (I hope so!) and could you come one day to switzerland for a training camp?

Erich

July 1, 2010 at 7:54 am | Reply
  22. John A. Morton

Hello Bob !

Congratulations for your job in the US Team Impressive!

Could you please give us your comment on video arbitrage, do you think it is necessary, and do you agree with Blater, that it should only be for the Goal line ?

July 1, 2010 at 8:02 am | Reply
  23. Ruth

Hi Coach Bradley! Thanks for doing a great job with our boys this World Cup! This run was something to be proud of!

I'm an American currently studying abroad in Finland and living in Germany for the summer. I played soccer for over 10 years back in the US, but the soccer culture there is nothing compared to what it's like in Europe. What can we do to raise awareness of the sport, and get more people involved stateside? Soccer is such a beautiful sport, and it'd be great to see more Americans get excited about it!

July 1, 2010 at 8:48 am | Reply
  24. Robert Kusumohadi

Could you ever imagine that Ghana would meet Spain in the final next week of this present World Cup Tournament?

July 1, 2010 at 9:03 am | Reply
  25. Robert Kusumohadi

Mr. Bradley, you and your players, did a great job indeed. Congratulations. This is not the end of the world. I'm sure USA will be world champion in 2014!

July 1, 2010 at 9:08 am | Reply
  26. numero

Iam a zambian wishing that USA today wins the world cup.
    do you think its possible in the near future.

July 1, 2010 at 10:37 am | Reply
  27. Morad

Bob, man.. you are one excellent coach!. The US team had the most die hard attitude and the best conditional training. obvious that lack of skill and experience finally caught up with them. I wonder if you were coaching a team like France or England how far you would have gone in the tournament given the abundance of talent there 2 teams have... still hats off to you and US. You made the US care about soccer and that's a HUGE step toward wining the WC hopefully soon...

July 1, 2010 at 10:44 am | Reply
  28. Jennifer

Hi Bob

Love U.S. Team and also your star players like Donovan and Tim too.

Many fancy Brazil to win the World Cup but I fancy Spain, though I support Gernany (always have). What are your thoughts?

Jennifer

July 1, 2010 at 10:45 am | Reply
  29. Jarett

Hi Coach Bradley,

First of all, I just wanted to congratulate you on what you were able to do with the team this World Cup. I know it might be a disappoint that you could not progress more, but I don't think the US matches up well against Ghana and would have needed more luck. That said, I think the team fell behind in one too many matches and the "late goal magic" had finally run out.

I am an American living in England (you can imagine how well that went down for the first match!) so I am able to keep up-to-date with all of the English players and a fair few of the European players as well. There are some Americans playing in England and Europe, but my question is: do you feel that more American footballers should be looking to play abroad? The MLS does not have a strong reputation (yet?) so the way I see players improving is moving to the stronger European leagues. Is anything done to promote the best American talent and try to get them to these better leagues or is it simply a question of scouting by the European clubs?

Best of luck in the future. I'm hoping for big things from the US over the next few years!! Again, well done in this World Cup even if it didn't meet all expectations.

Jarett

July 1, 2010 at 11:16 am | Reply
  30. Dae Hee Yun

Hello, I'm a 17-year-old student from South korea. I wonder if my poor english can be understand by native speaker;; but I got some question which it is a hot issue between lots of people in Korea.

Koreans also are impressed by USA team at the world cup. We say that USA soccer have been much more stronger than 8years ago at korea-japan worldcup and are saying that USA gonna be much more stronger as time goes.

Also some people says if America promotes more soccer popularity in the USA they surely will be one of the most powerful soccer team that any other countries in the world.

In detail , it means that what's gonna happen if the MLB, NHL, NFL, NBA players play soccer instead of other major sports in USA?

In Korea, soccer and baseball are the popular. however some soccer fans complain if baseball players who are fast and rapid did soccer maybe Korea will do much better in the global tournament. Acutally some soccer coaches have a same idea with them.

I do love soccer and I also do love other sports like baseball or basketball. but despite the popularity of soccer, Korea soccer league(K-league) isn't popular at all in Korea just like MLS in America. I think it is because baseball league has much more history than K-League like MLB in america.

I think without the populatiry to their own league to soccer,
    no nation could be the real storng team in the world cup.

How do you think about this issue?
    What should people do to activate soccer?
    How can football league be more promoted?
    If sportsman as gridders play soccer might be successful??

Thank you for reading my long~long(-_-;;) writing...

Good luck with USA soccer

July 1, 2010 at 11:26 am | Reply
  31. Katherine

I live in Budapest, Hungary but am from Cleveland, Ohio and had a great time watching the World Cup with my very international colleagues (from Germany, Australia, Korea, Japan, Serbia, everywhere!) and I spent a lot of time on Skype with play-by-play cheers and cries of despair with friends back in the US. It was great fun to watch, even if we left earlier than we hoped, thanks for the efforts of all of your staff and the team!

Do you regret any substitutions, or wish you had made some sooner?

How do you view the fact that we were scored upon early in several cases? What part of our early game is a little weaker than our competitors!

U-S-A! 🙂

July 1, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Reply
  32. ruben

All i want to say is that he's a heck of coach and one of the reason they not still playing the cup is because of the ugly job of the referee otherwise we were still rocking. coach bob deserve another shot and few new guys that really love soccer and this team that from the beginning is showing that regardless of the short time in this field US soccer team is showing the whole world that we can adapt and defeat like in any other field go Mr. Bob!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

July 1, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Reply
  33. DF

I watched almost every game the US played during your coaching career, and one thing that jumped out at me was this team's tendency to give up early goals and then to score late ones. Early goals were a particular problem in the World Cup, and eventually became our demise against Ghana.

My question is: why did this team give up so many early goals, and what can be done to stop this?

July 1, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Reply
  34. Keira

Hello!

My question for Coach Bradley is, would he ever consider coaching women, whether professionally or at the National Team level? Why or why not?

Thanks!

Keira
    NY

July 1, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Reply
  35. Luis Gonzalez

I'm guatemalan, but lived in US for aprox 20 years, I think americans should be proud of the development of the national team, they achive some many goals in very short time; hope in my country (Guatemala)
    the football soccer excecutives do the same or at least 50 % of the americans have done so far

July 2, 2010 at 11:25 pm | Reply
  36. YEMI OGUNDEIN

Hi Bob,

Just like the French Team refused to train during the World Cup, what would you if you were in the shoes of the French Coach, especially when you have your SON in the team?

July 3, 2010 at 9:03 pm | Reply
  37. Valentin Restrepo

From Colombia,
    Congratulation for the amazing display of Football and courage. USA team deserved more in the World Cup. A Vuvuzuela for the US!!!

My question. Are in the USA a good Junior division so the american team could improve even more his number of players? Are they American natives or there is still a great number of immigrants (son of) players?

Congratulations

July 5, 2010 at 6:03 am | Reply
  38. ††Phoenxz††Dark†

Its all right...
    ever get one chance more.

July 5, 2010 at 6:13 pm | Reply
  39. gentidedama

yes; Bradley!

July 6, 2010 at 7:35 am | Reply
  40. ELIASU MHAMMED

Hello i am Eliasu and need help for my football pls help me you are the only one that i heva

July 31, 2010 at 11:14 pm | Reply