Tune in at 16:00 London, 19:00 UAE

Wednesday's Connector: Stephen Fry

September 12th, 2010

He is one of the most recognizable names in not only Britain, but in the rest of the world - it's a claim that comedian and cultural commentator Stephen Fry isn't afraid to embrace.

Stephen Fry is your Connector of the Day.

Stephen Fry is your Connector of the Day.

Fry first came to the attention of the public back in 1982 when he appeared alongside fellow actors Emma Thompson and Hugh Laurie in the Cambridge Footlights Revue presentation of "The Cellar Tapes."

After co-starring with Laurie, who is today known for his role in the television series "House," the pair began to star in a number of comedy acts together and the couple soon became known as "Fry and Laurie."

In 1986, the BBC gave the duo their own television sketch show called "A Bit of Fry and Laurie" that spanned four series and was hugely successful.

During the 1990s, Fry starred in a number of television shows and in films including, "Wilde" and "I.Q."

It wasn't until 2003 however that Fry became a national treasure in the United Kingdom with the launch of his show called "QI"

The panel game show became one of the most watched television series and is still running.

While Fry has become a sensation on both the silver screen and small screen, he has also developed a huge following online.

Stephen Fry has one of the most popular Twitter profiles on social media and is well-known for his cheeky updates.

Today, Fry is working on the second volume of his autobiography.

Here's your chance to quiz comedian and social commentator, Stephen Fry.

Please leave your questions below and be sure to include where you're writing from.

You can also send in your questions via Twitter to @BeckyCNN.

1. Xan

Stephen, how do you manage to be so awesome?

Thank you.

September 12, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Reply
  2. Rick Lightstone

Dear Stephen,

We would absolutely love to have you in our store for a book signing / talk . Perhaps sometime in 2011 ?

Regards ,

Rick Lightstone
    PR Director
    The American Book Center ( http://www.abc.nl )
    Amsterdam
    Netherlands

Note : We have been voted by the press as one of the top ten best independent bookstores in the world

September 12, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Reply
  3. Allen Miller

Hello Stephen:

Always enjoyed your work and sense of humour. Any chance you will be bringing it and make a series in Canada in the future ? You actually stepped over the border in your "in America" series but the population was rather sparse in that area. Maybe you could pay a real visit and highlight the good, the bad and wierd aspects my home country. Actually I am a Brit as well so I enjoy the best of both worlds.

All the best

Allen

September 12, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Reply
  4. Allison Smith

Hi I'm from Baltimore, MD and was wondering– Does it get annoying that so many of the questions people ask you relate to Hugh Laurie (like this one)?

September 12, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Reply
  5. Morten Målmand

Loved you in the Blackadder series and especially as General Melchett.

– Looks at map
    "God is a barren featureless desert out there!"
    ...."The-e-e other side Sir"
    – Turns map over

Just brilliant

September 12, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Reply
  6. Edward

Dear Mr. Fry,

What thing made you laugh most in the last couple of days?

September 12, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Reply
  7. pooberidoo

how did you become so awesome???

September 12, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Reply
  8. Lord Beardsley

What is your favorite small act of daily rebellion?

September 12, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Reply
  9. John Nemo

Descartes (famously) said "cogito ergo sum." How do you prove your own existence to yourself?

September 12, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Reply
  10. Katie

My husband and I discussed it about a year ago and decided that you were on the of the top things we missed about living in the UK. We loved that, at pretty much any hour of the day, we could find you on our TV or in our bookstores. We'd like it to be that way in the States as well so if it involves you moving here, so be it! So when will you be coming to the States? (It doesn't mean you have to be "Steve" instead of Stephen!)

September 12, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Reply
  11. Magda Papanikolaou

You are known to openly supprt gay rights, since you are openly homosexual yourself. Where do you stand on gays being able to adopt?
    Magda, Greece

September 12, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Reply
  12. Dave Horne

I always liked Fly and remember his portrayal of Oscar Wilde in the film Wilde.

September 12, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Reply
  13. Chris in London

Do you see yourself as an heir to those decadent writers and entertainers of the London scene such as Oscar Wilde, Noel Coward, Hugh Beaumont?

September 12, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Reply
  14. Frank Funicello

Dear Mr. Fry:

You being such a literary and erudite person with a fabulous vocabulary, how do you justify your use of the downsized language on social media such as Twitter?

Thank you.

Frank from Heidelberg, Germany

September 12, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Reply
  15. Matt Williston

Stephen,
    Thanks for the years of entertainment. How could we convince you to bring a show like "A Bit of Fry & Laurie" to this side of the pond? Lord knows we could use some intelligent humor to offset all the reality TV.

Matt Williston
    {San Antonio, Texas}

September 12, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Reply
  16. Scott Bartner

Dear Mr. Fry,

I'm an artist writing from Maastricht, The Netherlands. I'm a fan of your work in Blackadder and a Bit of Fry and Laurie. I'm interested to know what gives you greater satisfaction, writing or acting?

Kind regards,

Scott Bartner

September 12, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Reply
  17. Chris in London

According to Baldrick in Blackadder Goes Forth, in which you starred, the first world war was started by a guy named Archie Duke who shot an osterich because he was hungry. How do you think that stacks up as a cause for war compared with the causes for our current wars?

September 12, 2010 at 5:35 pm | Reply
  18. Peter

You're a super technology fan, author and I'd guess have read quite a bit, so I'm wondering if you've tried Amazon's Kindle and if so what you think of it?

September 12, 2010 at 6:06 pm | Reply
  19. Hugh Meagher

Given Brittians post war foreign policy of alignment with and been alied to the united states of america, did Tony Blair have any choice but to invade Iraq with the US?

September 12, 2010 at 6:07 pm | Reply
  20. Saby

Dear Mr Fry,

I am writing from Jakarta Indonesia and am a huge fan of yours. Everything from Black Adder, A bit of Fry and Laurie, the Cambridge Footlight stuff , QI, Comic Relief, the travel documentaries, the article on Apple,etc. ...God Bless Youtube.

What do you think of how British humour is going ? Will we see a renaissance of clever, witty humour such as Fawlty Towers and yours or is it going more the low brow way of Little Britain? If so why ?

Cheers!!..

Saby

September 12, 2010 at 6:08 pm | Reply
  21. Marko

Nothing to ask Mr. Fry, he was great as General Melchett.

September 12, 2010 at 6:44 pm | Reply
  22. Mikkel in Norway

Hi Stephen,

Among your many endeavours, you have on occasion debated or conversed with people of religious conviction.

Logically, the atheist rejection of non-conditional belief implies that religious people are deluded. How do you approach these conversations in order to avoid this potentially offensive premise?

Can one reconcile tolerance with orthodoxy (non-conditional truth claims) and/or rationale (conditional truth claims)?

Very best regards,

Mikkel Mowinckel,
    Asker, Just-Outside-Of-Oslo, Norway

September 12, 2010 at 6:49 pm | Reply
  23. a Truster.

Stephen Fry,

Paul says in Romans that "there shall be tribulation and distress upon every soul of man who works evil".
    How do you manage to live through times of tribulation and distress?

September 12, 2010 at 6:50 pm | Reply
  24. r

Hi Stephen,

Oscar wilde was a controversial yet extremely likable, talented individual in his day. When taking on the role in Wilde, was it difficult on an emotional level to go through the motions of his downfall, heartbreak etc.. considering that you your self are a prolific, talented, extremely likable and openly homosexual man? Personally I think you did the most amazing job and no one else could have played that role.

in admiration, R.

September 12, 2010 at 7:02 pm | Reply
  25. bimbogumbo

Q: Do you believe in love at first sight?

Miguel,
    Bristol, UK

September 12, 2010 at 7:29 pm | Reply
  26. Stephen Eaton

Dear Stephen,

Could you please explain to this narrow minded world " That if the whole North Pole melted, then the water level around the world would not raise at all, as it is all floating ice and would not occupy any more volume in the water than it already does"

Thankyou, from one Stephen to another.

September 12, 2010 at 7:30 pm | Reply
  27. Dragan Lukic

Mr Fry, when you look back at your past, has your fame and fortune ever taken a turn again you? Friend, family, or lifestyle wise.

September 12, 2010 at 7:34 pm | Reply
  28. Marcia Huntington

Mr. Fry
    Not sure why no one is mentioning Wooster and Jeeves... I really enjoyed that show (borrowed from the library and so, many years after the show was aired) and thought you and Mr. Laurie did a fabulous job in those roles. I also watched a few skits on A Bit of Fry and Laurie and really enjoyed the one with the man at the jail house talking to the officer and he says that his name is ...some crazy sound and eventually you punch him in the face. Hilarious! I also liked the one with the literary critic talking and talking some intellectual gibberish. It was so much fun!

My question for you is: did you miss doing Wooster and Jeeves? The costumes were fantastic as well as filming at all of those beautiful country homes. Not to mention your role as the hero in each episode?

Lastly, I'd like to say thank you for blessing us with your sense of humor.

Sincerely,
    Marcia Huntington

September 12, 2010 at 8:04 pm | Reply
  29. Lord Beardsley

What is your favorite act of daily rebellion...was my question, but I forgot to say where I am located...
    Oops, F.Y.I I'm an American living in Brussels, Belgium.

September 12, 2010 at 8:26 pm | Reply
  30. Denis Pajtak

Hi!
    What is he one (movie or television based) project Steven Fry would like to sink his teeth into but simply hasn't had the opportunity so far?
    In connection with that, would you say you are a comedy actor and happy with that moniker or does a part of you yearn for more dramatic roles?
    Thanks!
    Denis

September 12, 2010 at 8:29 pm | Reply
  31. Seire

Hi there,
    If you could invite 7 people dead or alive to a dinner party at your house, who would you invite?
    Thanks,
    PS you are on my list!

September 12, 2010 at 8:49 pm | Reply
  32. Seire

Hi there,
    Im writing from Co Galway in Ireland.
    If you could invite 7 people dead or alive to your house for a dinner party , who wold you invite?
    Thanks
    PS you are my list!

September 12, 2010 at 8:51 pm | Reply
  33. linda

Hi Stephen,

I'm from the US and would've loved to see your show "In America" but they never aired in my area. Was it shown in the US or was it about America for British tv? Will we ever get to see it here? On DVD perhaps?

September 12, 2010 at 10:26 pm | Reply
  34. Alina

Dear Stephen,

One recurrent idea in Oscar Wilde's short stories is that very precious gifts, which require extreme sacrifice on the part of the giver, often pass unnoticed or are misunderstood by those who receive them (e.g. The Nightingale and the Rose, The Happy Prince).

I have two questions: what is generosity for you? and: why do you think we so often fail to notice or grasp the true value of the gifts bestowed on us?

Alina (Romania)

September 12, 2010 at 11:25 pm | Reply
  35. Suze

Hi, Mr. Fry (from New Hampshire, USA.)

This is a three-part question for you.

A. What is your favorite color?

B. Have you ever secretly dressed up in girly frocks and referred to yourself as 'Susan'?

C. Have you ever read the recently translated Gospel of Judas that completely turns the story of Jesus' crucifixion around, stating that Jesus favored Judas above the other disciples and asked Judas to follow his instructions in order to release Jesus' soul from it's earthly prison?

P.S. The first two questions were just a way to warm you up for the biggie question.

P.P.S. I love you.

September 12, 2010 at 11:44 pm | Reply
  36. curious

How much do you get paid for *continually* plugging Apple products?

September 13, 2010 at 12:01 am | Reply
  37. Jeanne

Stephen-

Purchased Jeeves & Wooster complete set & enjoy it often. Brings back some great memories for me since I am now a widow & my husband & I used to enjoy it together the first time around.

Wondering if there is any possibility of our getting to see the documentary on you & Hugh here in the US. (NY State) Hope so.

September 13, 2010 at 12:40 am | Reply
  38. Melanie

Dear Mr Fry

I thoroughly enjoyed your documentary on bipolar disease. As the parent of a bi-polar adult son, how can I best support him? What should I avoid?

Thank you.

September 13, 2010 at 1:15 am | Reply
  39. Chris Young

"The Red Hat of Pat-Ferrick!"

Hi Stephen, excellent work all round. A mainstay of British comedy and cornerstone of British TV with QI. Legend.

Question : It couldn't ever be possible that Fry and Laurie do another series, could it? Could it? Perhaps ... it could. Or could it. Goodnight.

Chris Young, orig. Scotland, now Japan

September 13, 2010 at 2:12 am | Reply
  40. David

Dear Mr. Fry,

Will there ever be a sequel to P.G. Wodehouse's much acclaimed Jeeves and Wooster?

September 13, 2010 at 2:43 am | Reply
  41. Matt

Hello fellow rationalist.

September 13, 2010 at 3:24 am | Reply
  42. Alex Hall

Mr. Fry,

Your narration of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and LittleBigPlanet have brightened my life as well as the lives of countless other fans.

Just thought you should know.

-Alex H.

September 13, 2010 at 3:33 am | Reply
  43. R Job

Dear Mr Fry,
    To what extent are you a liberal, and to what extent are you a conservative?

September 13, 2010 at 4:44 am | Reply
  44. JesusNeedsABreak

Where do you get your kababs and do you use the white sauce or the Thai chilli or both?

September 13, 2010 at 4:52 am | Reply
  45. Julie Treacy

Hi Stephen
    Do you have any political aspirations and if so would you ever consider offering yourself up for election?
    Thanks Julie

September 13, 2010 at 5:28 am | Reply
  46. Algie Moncrieff

Dear Stephen,
    I am extremely alarmed by the concept of the operating theatre. I do not want to discover at some time in the future that Richard III is performing brain surgery on my girl-friend.
    My serious question is: don't you agree that comedy for the most part is a defence mechanism for people to avoid confronting their fears? I know it is in my case.

September 13, 2010 at 5:45 am | Reply
  47. Algie Moncrieff

Dear Stephen,
    Algie Moncrieff, The Isle of Wight

September 13, 2010 at 5:53 am | Reply
  48. Neil

Stephen -

You always seem to feature on people's fantasy dinner table lists - and rightly so. Your wit and intellect would be a credit to any gathering. But who would you least like to be around a dinner table with - and why?

Yours in admiration,

Neil

September 13, 2010 at 5:56 am | Reply
  49. Bill Mcdonald

Dear Stephen,
    I like you have long rubbed shoulders with the famous and powerful. I once had a long conversation on a train with Colonel Gaddafi's personal Pilates instructor who later went on to be his Minister for Agriculture.
    But seriously, when you gave a lecture at Winchester College 20 years ago you said that the formula for comedy fundamentally lies in the breaking of expectations. Would you care to elaborate?
    Bill Jones, Winchester

September 13, 2010 at 6:08 am | Reply
  50. barry gee

Several years ago, you and a group of like-minded Jewish-British personalities (including Harold Pinter and Steven Berkoff), established a Jewish association that would present a more liberal image of Jewry worldwide, particularly in the USA, where Jewish people are represented by large well-funded lobby groups that support Israel first, often to the cost of non-Israeli interests. Those American flag-bearers for Israel (and Zionism) distort the true concerns and needs of Jews throughout the world and their dominant voice needs to be challenged. What has happened to your group? Were and are you able to do anything? Have you and your associates been silenced by the backers of the ADL and other supporters of Likud, Zionism and Israel's very dangerous current Foreign Minister?

September 13, 2010 at 6:12 am | Reply
  51. NIck

Hi Stephen,
    2 quick questions:
    1) Will you be back on Bones?
    2) Just because obviously I dont know and you have huge brain, what is a "Snookie"?

Nick.

September 13, 2010 at 6:27 am | Reply
  52. marcos p

So....why 42? perhaps more importantly, will you ever tell us?

September 13, 2010 at 6:56 am | Reply
  53. Dexter VanDango

Could you please stop your friend Hugh Lurie from driving up the cost of American health care with all those expensive tests he runs to no avail before getting a flash of insight unrelated to any previous test? It has become most tedious. Man-handle him back to Old Blighty and put him to something less repetitive and predictable – you could call it Laurie & Fry this time.

September 13, 2010 at 7:21 am | Reply
  54. Delphine

I've just one question; i was just curious if you like "The Royle Family "as well... and isn't it brilliant tv that we unfortunatly see not much.

Thank you.

September 13, 2010 at 7:30 am | Reply
  55. Jolanda

Dear Stephen,
    I love your books, especially the novels. The humour, the gentle insights into human nature and just simply the fact that you know how to weave a memorable story. These days you seem mostly busy with television, so I'd like to know if there's any chance we'll see a new novel or perhaps a collection of short stories?

September 13, 2010 at 7:32 am | Reply
  56. Dexter VanDango

Forgot to say I'm writing from Copenhagen, the Zircon of the Baltic.

September 13, 2010 at 7:49 am | Reply
  57. Dianah

I'm as pleased as Punch to see another volume in your autobiography coming out, but will you be writing any more novels? I have fond memories of being stared at by disapproving elderly women on a train because I was reading "The Liar" and literally lol-ing. Great stuff!

Dianah
    Kent, OH

September 13, 2010 at 8:05 am | Reply
  58. Michael

What's it like living with Bender? Does his constant partying cut into your Leela time?

September 13, 2010 at 8:38 am | Reply
  59. Romy

Hi Stephen,

is there any chance that we might see you playing a patient/doctor/former boyfriend etc. on House md?

Love,

Romy (Germany)

September 13, 2010 at 9:08 am | Reply
  60. Jonas

If you had been a genius at math as well, do you think your life and career would have been significantly different ?

Donald Trefusis fan

September 13, 2010 at 9:27 am | Reply
  61. Danny

Hello mr. Fry.

I am an atheist. In discussions and conversations, I am very happy to point out all of the faults and dangers of religion.
    I have a problem about Islam, though – Should you hold back with criticism of a religion, when so many of it's followers are having a difficult time as minorities in a western country... And at the same time: am I a coward for not daring to criticise one religion in public, but at the same time really go after the ones that are (probably) safer to aproach?

Thanks for QI,
    Danny, Denmark

September 13, 2010 at 9:29 am | Reply
  62. greg

Why are so many people superstitious? Is it fear of death?

greg – England

September 13, 2010 at 10:10 am | Reply
  63. nmdissident

I'm writing from Houston, Texas and actually have three questions:

Will you ever appear on House with Hugh Laurie?

If distance lends perspective, how do you see American intellect? Rising? Falling? Holding steady?

What is your opinion regarding our continued reliance on the death penalty?

September 13, 2010 at 10:24 am | Reply
  64. Jonas

Donald Trefusis fan (Sweden)

September 13, 2010 at 10:34 am | Reply
  65. Michelle

Hello Stephen!

I have to say, that I love your show QI. It is fantastic. Living in Canada though, I have to watch it all online, piecemeal. Any chance of you "putting in a word" to get it onto BBC Canada or any other Canadian broadcaster??

Much appreciated!
    Michelle
    North Bay, Ontario

September 13, 2010 at 10:40 am | Reply
  66. Robert Fulton

Dear Mr. Fry,

Have also been diagnosed with BPS and an IQ of around 150. Am curious to know how you deal with things when you are perceived as "manic" and yet just having a damn good idea. Once people know you are diagnosed, then every idea you have is either racing thoughts or mania. I don't believe this, but how have you been able to overcome this? Just saying, "don't listen to them" does not work. We have to live in a community. I would appreciate any insight.

Thank you.

September 13, 2010 at 11:09 am | Reply
  67. Brad

Hi Stephen

I have often wondered why the speed of light always measures the same (in a vacuum) no matter what speed the observer.

This is described by Einstein's theories of relativity.

One thing bothers me in particular and that is what would be the measured speed of light relative to another photon if travelling in say the opposite direction and what effect would that have on time for the observing photon?

Regards
    Brad

September 13, 2010 at 11:49 am | Reply
  68. Rhys Job

Hello Stephen,

To what extent are you a liberal, and to what extent are you a conservative?

All the best
    Rhys Job
    Great Britain, Bristol.

September 13, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Reply
  69. Stephen Thomas

What are your views on your role / freedom as an icon in the "Society of the Spectacle" Debord

September 13, 2010 at 12:20 pm | Reply
  70. Stephen Thomas

Dear Stephen

Stephen (UK)

September 13, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Reply
  71. rlh

dear steven fry,

why have you never messaged me on grindr?

September 13, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Reply
  72. AC

Hi Stephen,

I read Moab is My Washpot earlier this year and thought it was just wonderful, so I'm really looking forward to The Fry Chronicles. Do you have any idea when it will be available in the U.S., and whether you'll be doing any book signings here?

Best wishes,
    AC (New York, NY)

September 13, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Reply
  73. DMT

Hello Stephen,

Please insist to the powers that be, QI must be broadcast in Canada. I grow tired of having to strain my eyes to watch it on YouTube.

It's the funniest and most informative on the TV.

Thanks

September 14, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Reply
  74. H.M. Stiller

Dear Stephen,

I am in love with almost every thing you say and do.

I can't help but wonder, however, why you're still such an enthusiastic MacHead. With all the stories about its censorship of apps and inciting the police raid of Jason Chen's home, Apple Inc. seems more and more to me like a force working against internet freedom. How can you justify sticking by them?

Oh, and when's the next time you're coming to New York so I and every other Anglophilic geek in the metro area can stalk you? (note to police/bodyguards: jk).

H.M.Stiller
    W.Babylon, NY

September 15, 2010 at 2:36 am | Reply
  75. Jurgen R. Brul

Hello Stephen Fry and CNN friends,

I would like an answer from Stephen Fry on the following questions:

– What needs be done to Improve the Education rate in Entertainment Industry, so that there is Education for ALL?

– What needs to be done to make Entertainment Industry more attractive for Investors?

– What can we expect from you in the coming years?

I am looking forward to hear from Stephen Fry.

Greetings,
    Jurgen R. Brul
    Hometown: Paramaribo
    Country: Suriname

September 15, 2010 at 6:36 pm | Reply
  76. Peter - Belgium

Hi mister Fry,

about your collaborative work with Hugh (Laurie), how did the absurd and the funny come to life? Why did it end and do you envision another collaboration in the future?

September 15, 2010 at 7:59 pm | Reply
  77. rosalie

Hate to be tiresome, as you hear this all the time, but your genius truly astonishes me anew with each book, film, television & radio series you present. Can you tell us about your new svelte physique? You look, as we here say in Manhattan, absolutely mahvelous.

September 15, 2010 at 9:58 pm | Reply
  78. Jesse

Dear Uncle Stephen

I hear through the grape vine that you and hugh might be doing another final season of fry and laurie and if so will it come out on dvd so the people aaround the world love you and hugh as much as i do can put it with our collections?

September 27, 2010 at 10:48 pm | Reply