Tune in at 16:00 London, 19:00 UAE

Monday's Connector: Tim Hetherington

October 11th, 2010

Tim Hetherington is a British photographer and filmmaker responsible for some of the world's most beautiful and thought-provoking images.

Tim Hetherington is your Connector of the Day.
Tim Hetherington is your Connector of the Day.

Hetherington got his start as a photographer more than a decade ago and spent much of his early career working in west Africa where he documented some of the worst civil conflicts on the continent.

In places like Nigeria, Sierra Leone and Liberia, Hetherington shot images that ranged on topics from poverty to child soldiers.

In 2007, Hetherington won the World Press photo competition where his work photographing exhausted soldiers in Afghanistan earned him the prestigious prize.

The photo collection was also featured in "Vanity Fair."

Hetherington has also dabbled in film making and in 2010 he teamed up with writer Sebastian Junger to work on a documentary called "Restrepo" about his time in Afghanistan.

The pair went on to win the Grand Jury Prize for best documentary at the Sundance Film Festival.

Today, Hetherington is out with a new book called "'Infidel."

Here's your chance to have your questions answered by one of the most gifted film makers on the planet.

Please leave your questions for Hetherington below and of course you can also connect with the show by sending in your questions via Facebook www.facebook.com/cnnconnect and Twitter @BeckyCNN.

1. Elle

Your series on soldiers and the documentary _Restrepo_ looked at the war in Afghanistan during a time when most of the US media lost its focus on it. Do you think all media—journalism, specifically—has the responsibility and the duty to keep the public informed about life-and-death issues such as war, poverty, and disease? Indeed these are doom-and-gloom topics, but they are infinitely more important than say, fashion week or celebrity culture, which I find distracts the public from having to think. Where is the balance between coverage of "lifestyle" topics and relevant global issues?

Thank you for your great work.

October 11, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Reply
  2. Matej B. Farr

I saw your work about sleeping soldiers, which if I understand was presented as an art project. This new film, which I look forward to seeing, seems to be a clean cut documentary. Do you have your feet in both worlds at the same time, or was that just a one-time, more personal and subjective opportunity?

October 11, 2010 at 6:59 pm | Reply
  3. Jim Manico

You're a tall white guy with photo equipment running around in war zones. How do you manage your own safety? Have you ever taken risks to get a good shot that in hindsight you think were a bit crazy?

October 11, 2010 at 8:21 pm | Reply
  4. andrew

I want to do what you do.Where do I begin when I get out of school?

October 11, 2010 at 10:13 pm | Reply
  5. Xondra

How do you deal with the effects those images of war probably have on you?

October 12, 2010 at 12:11 am | Reply
  6. Jurgen R. Brul

Hello Tim Hetherington and CNN friends,

I would like an answer from Tim Hetherington on the following questions:

– How will you Improve the lives of photographers worldwide?

– Why do did you called your latest book Infidel?

– What can we expect from you in 2010?

I am awaiting Tim Hetherington’s replies.

Greetings,
    Jurgen R. Brul
    Hometown: Paramaribo
    Country: Suriname

October 12, 2010 at 12:41 am | Reply
  7. P.g. Mulvaney

Could you comment on the sort of gear you carry? I would presume you have professional cameras and lenses but I wonder if you can realistically carry around several thousand dollars worth of equipment in a third-world environment and still maintain any sort of credibility with the local populace, not to mention the risks of theft or damage. Is there some sort of trade off here? Digital vrs. film? Long lens(es)? Wide? How does one recharge camera batteries in the middle of a war? Do you ever carry or use a pocket camera? Tripod? Monopod?

Of course gear doesn't make great pictures, great photographers do. You are proof of that. And by-the-by, Mr. Junger is an amazing writer.

October 12, 2010 at 2:07 am | Reply
  8. Taylor Martyn

How do you interact with your 'subjects'? More importantly how do you do this in a place and with a people whom you do not share the same language and culture? Do you always travel with a translator/guide (blanking on term used for local set-up guy)? How do you go about finding the set-up guy? Is it always by referral from other journalist who have been there before you? I would think most journalist would be shy about sharing their contacts. How has that affected your work?

October 12, 2010 at 5:37 am | Reply
  9. Michael Falvella

I admire your passion. It is very risky but it shows the world things that they otherwise would not know of. Photography is something I enjoy doing very much. I am a science and geography teacher, so my pictures from the many countries I have travelled to really makes it enjoyable for the students in my classes. I am by no means a professional but I feel that I have an eye for good pictures and a way to take pictures that tell a story. My favorite pictures are ones that I took on my travels in Afghanistan, Central Asia and recently, pictures of the protest and rioting in Bangkok. Most of my pictures are of people and landscapes in peaceful surroundings but I also have the urge to go towards things that most people would run away from and to take pictures that can show the real story of something. My question is.....what advice do you have for me and anyone else who feels they have the potential to be a professional photographer? What are some of the best ways to get photos published and to be on the way to making photography a lifelong passion and career?

October 12, 2010 at 8:39 am | Reply
  10. Andre Moore

Most Americans are not familiar with the Metric system. Can reporters for our sake please use miles/feet along with kilometers etc? I think the American audience would have a better idea. Here in Alpharetta Georgia...our family has been watching closely. My wife's father was a miner and I know this is close to our hearts tonight! Great coverage CNN...keep up the awesome job!

October 13, 2010 at 7:59 am | Reply