Tune in at 16:00 London, 19:00 UAE

Monday's Connector: Ricky Martin

November 9th, 2010
Ricky Martin signs copies of his new book.

Ricky Martin signs copies of his new book.

Non-Spanish speakers may not know it was Latin boy-band Menudo that first launched Ricky Martin to stardom. Menudo was an extremely popular pop band in Latin America in the 80’s and the  prelude to Backstreet Boys, Boyzone and the boy band wave of the 90’s.

After Menudo Ricky Martin went on to musical theatre in Mexico City, act in American soap opera General Hospital and launch a successful Spanish-language pop-music career.

In the mid 90’s Martin shifted music styles, moving away from ballads to upbeat Latin pop fusion with songs like Maria. Martin had the hit 1998 FIFA World Cup song "The Cup of Life" / "La Copa de la Vida.” This helped position Martin for his worldwide English smash hit Livin' la Vida Loca.

As his fame increased so did focus in his personal life. He dated Mexican model Rebeca de Alba, but rumors about Martin’s sexuality continued. Earlier this year he came out as a gay, through a post on his website.

And now he’s delving into his personal life in a new book called “Me.” He talks about the women and men in his life, becoming a father to twin boys and the ups and a relationship with an unknown boyfriend.

So now that Ricky Martin is opening up about his personal life, what do you want to ask him?

1. Charly

Has there been any backlash from your fans now that you have come out of the closet? My feeling is that even though were in 2010, times have not changed and there is less understanding in the world when it comes to sexual preference.

Charly
    Zurich

November 9, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Reply
  2. Iris

Hi Ricky:

I've been a fan of yours since you were in the Menudo group and I loved you and I still do not only because you are a very handsome man (all due respect) but your songs are amazing you are a great singer, dancer and I can tell that you are a very nice person without even meeting you. I wish I can truly meet you in person and give you a great hug and kiss and always remember to keep it real and no matter what anyone says about you its all about keeping all of your fans happy with your songs and taking care of your twins and congratulations I know you are a great father! Mucho amor y carino and please email me a line or two and like I said I wish I can truly meet you in person. Peace and Love!!!

November 9, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Reply
  3. ivan

Will you marry your partner one day? If so, which state or country will you get married? and why do you choose this place?

November 9, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Reply
  4. Edith

To Charly
    do you really live in Zurich??? Or maybe rather in the USA?

November 9, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Reply
  5. iamsoumya

Hey Ricky,

I am an Indian and I think that my country has had an huge influence on you. What did you learn from your visit here?

November 9, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Reply
  6. Bradley

My husband Pedro is also Latin American and he says that there is still a strong stigma against gays in Latin culture. Do you agree? If so, what do you think are the best ways we can respond to it?

November 9, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Reply
  7. carmenpaun

How do you feel you are perceived as a gay dad of twins?

November 9, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Reply
  8. John

What made you decide to make stopping child trafficking the principle cause that you support? Keep up this important work!

November 9, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Reply
  9. Wahdat

I am impressed by the love and care you give to the poor countries. Do you have any plans for Afghanistan's children who have suffered the most?

November 9, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Reply
  10. Anon

Have you had authentic heterosexual preferences before, if so when did they become homosexual? Also, what faith (if any) do you ascribe to?

Anon

November 9, 2010 at 4:58 pm | Reply
  11. Fabian

Hi Ricky,
    I personally believe that people should judge an artist for his/her performance instead of who he/she is sleeping with.....
    I make part of those who like your music and dancing skills.
    As a Latin man living in the US, I have been targeted as a "MEXICAN" without being from Mexico ! and questioned about the cultural acting lifestyle ( which means the proxemics to others and PDA, which are very common in our Latin World)
    Right now I'm in a Same Sex relationship, I love my partner...so does my family !! and he has experienced the most warming and accepting family and friends around us.

Even though my parents have accepted and respect the fact of my personal preference.....
    I see my mother keeps seeing my beloved one (partner,husband, boyfriend/ whatever) as just a friend....

What was the main reason you had when choosing to be a father ?

Gracias Ricky y Viva Puerto Rico.....y sus FRUTOS !!

November 9, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Reply
  12. Mikey

I am so proud of Ricky Martin. It took alot of courage to come out. Most people wont be able to understand what it is to be gay and living in the closet. He is a role model to alot of guys like me. I love you so much. All the best with your family and career.

November 9, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Reply
  13. Josef

Hello Ricky,
    Do you support gay marriage? and do you think you will one day like to be married?

November 9, 2010 at 5:21 pm | Reply
  14. Charlotte

Your music is so fun! I've always liked dancing to it and you are extremely talented. I'm just amazed at how you kept your private life under cover for so long. How do you do that being so much in the public eye most of the time? Do stars like you have total power over how much you appear in the news and what the news says about you? Lives of superstars are always very interesting to us "normals". Big hug to you and I hope things continue to go good for you.

November 9, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Reply
  15. Michael

Dear Ricky,

First off, congratulations on coming out – I know personally that this is a big and difficult step, and bravo for you for doing so. My question is, as a gay man in the public eye, did you feel more pressure from the public as to whether to come out or stay in the closet? Or did you feel similar or greater pressure from those in your personal life?

November 9, 2010 at 6:37 pm | Reply
  16. Cynthia Kerr

What has been the most life-altering moment since you became a father to your twin boys?

November 9, 2010 at 6:40 pm | Reply
  17. Chris

Hi Ricky,

I want to applaud you for coming out, but I'm wondering what it was like for you being a gay man and being marketed as a sex symbol for women. Did you have second thoughts while making videos or writing lyrics, or were you merely feeling the industry pressure to appear "straight?"

November 9, 2010 at 6:44 pm | Reply
  18. Lio

Got your eye on any big screen projects?

November 9, 2010 at 7:08 pm | Reply
  19. Edgar

Hi Ricky.
    Greetings from Venezuela

RIcky, How see you the reaction about you declaration of sexual orentation? and Where go to Venezuela?.

November 9, 2010 at 7:38 pm | Reply
  20. Patrick Wanis PhD

Ricky did it now because he is trying to approve and accept himself and we are all trying to do the same thing whether we are straight or whether we are gay.

Being a Human Behavior Expert, I find that most of my clients are ultimately trying to accept themselves and they’re trying to get to the place – in fact, what I help them to do is to get to the place of believing and understanding and realizing that they are good enough, that they are okay, that “You are worthy. You are special. There is nothing wrong with you.” Every one of us has a subconscious belief that “I’m not good enough. There’s something wrong with me. It was my fault. I am to blame. I don’t deserve love.”

November 9, 2010 at 7:38 pm | Reply
  21. Edgar

Hi Ricky.
    Greetings from Venezuela

RIcky, How see your the reaction about you declaration of sexual orentation? and, When will go to Venezuela?

November 9, 2010 at 7:39 pm | Reply
  22. Jurgen R. Brul

Hello Ricky Martin and CNN friends,

I would like an answer from Ricky Martin on the following questions:

– How will the realization of the Unión de Naciones Suramericanas((UNaSur) Englisch: Union of South American Nations) in 2019, which is based upon the European Union model including a common currency, parliament and passport, Improve the mission of the Ricky Martin Foundation?

– What can we expect from you in 2011?

I am awaiting Ricky Martin’s replies.

Greetings,
    Jurgen R. Brul
    Hometown: Paramaribo
    Country: Suriname

November 9, 2010 at 7:40 pm | Reply
  23. Carla

When are you coming to Canada? I love you!!!

November 9, 2010 at 7:47 pm | Reply
  24. Annie Pasq

Hi Ricky, your honesty and passion for life and human rights is something to admire. What is your recommendation to parents who might suspect that their son or daughter is homosexual or lesbian? And how is the best possible way, in your view, to deal with young men and women who might be in a haze about their sexual attraction.

God Bless!

November 9, 2010 at 8:53 pm | Reply
  25. Michael

Why did it take you so long to come out? What finally prompted the big decision?

November 9, 2010 at 10:34 pm | Reply
  26. Carlos

Wennnass Ricky! How are you doing? I was just wondering what do you do in your free time, and what keeps you going in life. Because I can imagine the pressure from publicity is very stressful so how do you release it all/ cope with life.

Thanks for your time. Have a nice day and I hope life plans out well for you 🙂

November 9, 2010 at 10:50 pm | Reply
  27. Martha

I am your fan since your Menudo days, and will always be. I knew the special relationship you had with your late grandmother, who was a Pharmacy School professor. I was just wondering....did you ever tell her that you were gay? Was it important to you to let her know? Thanks for answering and a big hug for you!

November 9, 2010 at 11:52 pm | Reply
  28. Shimo

HIS LIFE IS HIS AND WHAT HE DOES IS HIS BUSINESS AND NONE OF MINE. I wish him happiness with his career and family, just like anyone else living, and he is no different except he sings and earns more money,

So everybody from SHIMO–happiness for you the rest of your lives is my wish!!!

November 10, 2010 at 12:26 am | Reply
  29. rume

Hi Ricky,greetings from Guyana South America. good luck and god bless!

November 10, 2010 at 12:55 am | Reply
  30. wlademar

ricky,
    it is a century that i admired you most until that time you revealed your true personality and that is the most ever part of being a fan of you that i am ver much PROUD of you... when will be the time you will settling down.thanks

November 10, 2010 at 2:15 am | Reply
  31. carole

Mr Ricky Martin, have been a fan of your songs. Thanks for those inspiring moments with your timeless songs. My view is that , be who you are and not who you are not, be truthful to yourself and to others ,esp your fans, and this itself gives you full liberation to yourself and to us, knowing the true truth of things that were beyond your control and your wishes or choice.
    As fan, hope you are happy and love yourself more than ever and as fan, we support and love you more for being sincere and truthful, at least we know who you exactly are, and you know who exactly you ARE.<3

November 10, 2010 at 3:15 am | Reply
  32. Keira

Hola,

I'd like to ask Ricky the following: What do you miss most about Puerto Rico? What is the one thing from the island that you take with you wherever you go??

P.S. I remember Menudo quite well, in fact, I went to Ricky's 1st concert as a member of the band on a 3 King's Day back in the 80's *did I just date myself??*

Gracias,

Keira
    NY (via Caguas, PR)

November 10, 2010 at 4:21 am | Reply
  33. Gary Kirk

Ricky, I'd like to know if you have any plans on releasing a new album. Your music is great and you are a brilliant and talented artist. Please don't stop making music!

November 10, 2010 at 5:30 am | Reply
  34. Johnny

Ricky –

Do you ever wonder about the future sexual orientation of your boys?

November 10, 2010 at 6:01 am | Reply
  35. Adriana

Hola Ricky,

I am a big fan of yours here in Israel. When are you coming to visit us? Buena suerte!

Adriana

November 10, 2010 at 6:14 am | Reply
  36. Lucia

Hola Ricky,
    Ever since I was a child I listened to your music. I grew up listening to you and it was almost like growing up with you.
    Your coming out was very inspiring and I hope that you share that with others. Now I have a couple of questions for you.
    What are you plans for the future? Do you have any plans on helping LBGT Latino youth?
    What are your thoughts of the current situation in Puerto Rico in terms of the LBGT youth?
    Thanks!
    I look forward to hearing your reply!
    Cuidate!

November 10, 2010 at 6:22 am | Reply
  37. Madalina

I love your music, I used to have my room filled with posters, haha, some time ago though, I wish I could see more of you on TV and around, its a pitty to leave the stage to people who don't know how to use it. All my love!

November 10, 2010 at 8:43 am | Reply
  38. E and C

Hi Ricky,

My wife and I love you and would like for you to pick up music again. What are the odds of new music from you and your great team of writers?

E and C

November 10, 2010 at 8:43 am | Reply
  39. chashi.

dear ricky,in the midst of all this my question is just how do you maintain your balance?i pray and hope while you are still leaving you find peace .Am not a beliver of bisexual i just belive we feed it because of the void that lies deep inside each human being which cannot be satisfied externally.Good luck with the twins.
    still a fan.
    God bless and give you clarity!

November 10, 2010 at 10:17 am | Reply
  40. Andrew

I am watching you now in Seoul. What a beautiful man, It makes me smile to see your free and happy and truly yourself.

November 10, 2010 at 10:43 am | Reply
  41. Andrew

Did your decision to not come out come from advise saying it would effect your career?

November 10, 2010 at 10:44 am | Reply
  42. Nicolaine

Ricky Martin,

You are the best.

Nicolaine (Curacao)

November 10, 2010 at 11:39 am | Reply
  43. me

not really a question but a compliment
    you are an amazing person and wonderful Humanitarian and that is all that matters ... all the best to you and your family

November 10, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Reply
  44. ada

do you think that your sexual orientation has an adverse effect on your career?

November 10, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Reply
  45. Carolyn

Dear Ricky, I'm just curious about what has inspired your practise of spirituality and meditation? Has your chosen spiritual path been influencial in your finding of self-acceptance?

Will you continue to make reggaeton influenced music in the future? I really like your collaborations and feel the songs didn't take off as they deserved.

With much love always, Carolyn

November 10, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Reply
  46. Charly

To Edith: Yes, I really live in Zürich – why do you ask?

November 10, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Reply
  47. Victor

Do you hope your twin children are gay too?

November 10, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Reply
  48. lalabae

Dear Ricky,

I am sad, there are a lot of nice women there, maybe you have not found her yet?

One more thing, I feel that it's not fair for the children not to have a mother as their guidance, blame the medical technology for this!! Poor children!!

November 10, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Reply
  49. Nina

Hi Martin
    It was such a great shock to know that you are
    gay. You are such a great musician why do you have to choose to be this(gay). Remember the song you sang with Christina Aguillera such a beautiful song. Please find a beautiful girl to spend your life with not a man please.

November 22, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Reply
  50. Yossi menora

Were you certain about your sexuality before livin la Vidal loca?

November 22, 2010 at 9:16 pm | Reply