Tune in at 16:00 London, 19:00 UAE

Quiz adventurer Ranulph Fiennes

February 2nd, 2011

Ranulph Fiennes is one of the most well-known modern-day adventurers and even at the age of sixty-six he hasn't slowed down a bit.

The British born and educated Fiennes grew up in South Africa until the age of 12 before moving back to England to attend the exclusive boarding school, Eton College.

After completing his secondary education, Fiennes joined the British army and served for eight years, including a stint on the counter-insurgency service.

Fiennes however is best known for becoming the first person to visit the north and south poles completely by surface and was also the first person to cross Antarctica by foot.

Despite being a passionate explorer and adventurer, Fiennes has always had a fear of heights.

Even so, Fiennes successfully reached the summit of Mount Everest in 2009 becoming the oldest person ever to do so. He was 65 years old.

Here's your chance to have your questions answered by one of the most well-known adventurers on the planet.

Please leave your questions for Fiennes below and be sure to include where you're writing from.

1. Chris

How did you prepare for such an ascent? and would you ever want to achieve such a feat again?

February 2, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Reply
  2. Ragnar Rand

Mr. Fiennes, could you please describe your general day-to-day fitness training regime? In other words, do you lift weights, jog, swim, do yoga when not exploring? How often per week? Thank you for taking the time to answer. Best wishes to you on your next adventure.

February 2, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Reply
  3. Alisher

Dear Mr. Fiennes,
    I always dream of adventures and goung around the planet, but there is always something to restrain me from that. No matter what it looks like every time I know my enemy – it is fear.
    How can I overcome my fears?
    Thank you.
    Kind regards,

Alisher Abdullaev
    Tashkent, Uzbekistan

February 2, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Reply
  4. louise

Is there one adventure that really stands out in your mind above the rest?

February 2, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Reply
  5. Jurgen Brul

Hello Ranulph Fiennes and CNN friends,

I would like an answer from Ranulph Fiennes on the following questions:

– How are going to Improve our world?

– What can we expect from you in 2011?

I am awaiting Ranulph Fiennes’ replies.

Greetings,
    Jurgen R. Brul
    Hometown: Paramaribo
    Nativity country: Suriname

February 7, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Reply
  6. Abdul

Hello! How did u think our world would be a better world

February 8, 2011 at 11:18 pm | Reply
  7. Mark Robinson

Hi Ran,
    Many thanks for your inspirational book "fit for life", I'm now 2 stone lighter and a lot fitter!
    My question is, for your next challenge have you considered doing the Bob Graham Round?
    It's close to home and right up your street being a mountain/fell running event.
    I'm sure you are equal to this challenge.
    Best wishes, Mark

March 2, 2011 at 9:01 pm | Reply
  8. CS

Dear Mr. Fiennes,
    These last years, I’ve been focusing almost exclusively on my career. After some time, I have realized that I need to change my life style. However, it is not easy at all…I don’t know how to break the mental limits in which I’m stuck in. Can you give me any advice to achieve my purpose?

Thank you very much.

Best wishes,

CS

April 2, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Reply
  9. Paula

Hi Ran,

I'm Paula from Barcelona (Spain).

I would like to ask you how did you feel when you reached the summit of Mount Everest knowing you were the oldest person to do so. Which was the first thought you had up there?

Best whises,

Paula

April 4, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Reply
  10. Roger

Mr. Fiennes,

What inspires you to do this? What is your main goal?

What was your best experience?

I'm sure that you have some anecdotes, would be nice to share some of them ... 🙂

Best wishes,

Roger (from CATALONIA-BARCELONA)

April 8, 2011 at 9:41 am | Reply
  11. Marc Gutierrez

Mr. Fiennes, i'd like to know which was your best experience related to your adventures and the worst and also how did you solve this last situation. Thank you for your time

Marc Gutierrez
    Terrassa, Spain

April 10, 2011 at 9:52 pm | Reply
  12. Núria

Hola Ranulph!
    I'm from Terrassa, a city near Barcelona, Spain, and I'd like to ask you from where do you get so much energy, because despite being in your sixties, you have the strength of a young guy in his twenties!

April 15, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Reply