Tune in at 16:00 London, 19:00 UAE

London Fashion Week: Quiz Burberry's Christopher Bailey

February 17th, 2011

Their checkered pattern is instantly identifiable around the world - it's a fact that fashion house Burberry is very proud of.

The British label was founded in the mid-19th century by 21-year-old Thomas Burberry as a store that sold outdoor garments and fabrics.

After establishing stores in London, the brand eventually evolved into a luxury label that focused heavily on developing it's tartan pattern on hand bags, outerwear and scarves.

Today, the company has sales worth more than $2 billion a year and has stores in North America, Asia, Australia and Europe.

Chief Creative Officer Christopher Bailey has helped to rejuvenate the historic company, recruiting younger stars to advertise the brand - most notable was Harry Potter's Emma Watson.

The company also has a strong social media presence on networking sites Facebook and Twitter.

During this year's London Fashion Week, Bailey will be tweeting throughout the week and Burberry are planning a very special event for the launch of their collection.

Here's a look at highlights for this year's London Fashion Week.

1. Jurgen R. Brul

Hello Christopher Bailey and CNN friends,

I would like an answer from Christopher Bailey on the following questions:

– How will the fashion house Burberry Improve our world?

– What can we expect from you in 2011?

I am awaiting Christopher Bailey’s replies.
    Greetings,
    Jurgen R. Brul
    Hometown: Paramaribo
    Nativity country: Suriname

February 20, 2011 at 9:22 pm | Reply
  2. Eva

Dear Mr. Bailey,

If a woman could only afford one piece from Burberry, what should it be?

Many thanks,
    Eva
    Rome, Italy

February 22, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Reply
  3. David Grant

Mr. Bailey

Would you consider a tribute showing via Burberry in honor of the Milanese designer Mila Schon's style and concept line? It could start as a regional tribute, possibly Milan where she had first entered the world of fashion and style in 1958.

February 22, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Reply
  4. David Grant

I have forgotten to include my location Madison Mississippi

David Grant

February 22, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Reply
  5. Isabel

Hello Christopher and CNN.

I'm a working mother and can't afford your products even though I love Burberry.

Is there room for Burberry to create such wonderful products for people like me who don't have thousands of dollars to spend?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Isabel
    Vancouver, BC
    Canada

February 22, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Reply
  6. Keira

I'd like to ask Mr. Bailey - how has this economic environment affected Burberry? If so, what measures have been taken to lessen the (potential) economic impact?

Thanks!!

Keira
    NY

February 22, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Reply
  7. david

hi christopher, what's the one piece you recommend/love from the men's fall/winter 2011 collection?

February 22, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Reply
  8. David J

Hello Christopher,

As someone who is fortunate enough to be able to purchase major fashion labels, I find myself going to Burberry far more than any other designer because of the consistency in your products. Besides the traditional, more conservative pieces that Burberry is famous for, I noticed on a recent trip to Rome that more radical, almost experimental articles were showing up in your collection, such as metal studded leather vests and pants. As a fan of the more traditional, checkered items, I am wondering what influenced you in designing those other pieces? Is this a new direction that the label is taking?

Thanks for your time.

P.S I love my new watch and dress shirt (both from Rome).

David
    Toronto, ON

February 22, 2011 at 7:29 pm | Reply
  9. Ivanhoe A. Scott

A few years ago when I visited South Korea briefly, I noticed an abundance of plaid. I saw men wearing multiple plaids simultaneously, but it wasn't just limited to clothing. A lot of products had plaid printed on them. I asked an acquaintance about this, and he said that it had to do with Koreans' love of Burberry and belief that it represents something high-class. What is your take on the explosion of plaid (at least, a few years ago) in Korea?

February 22, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Reply
  10. Ivanhoe A. Scott

Lincoln, Neb.

February 22, 2011 at 7:52 pm | Reply
  11. coco lee

hi chris
    a very nice commercial collection but the brand can double its worth by using talented haute couture designer pierre garroudi he can help to put more creativity in all sector of Burberry

February 22, 2011 at 9:25 pm | Reply
  12. coco lee

location is Manhattan NYC

February 22, 2011 at 9:26 pm | Reply
  13. Nwakaego Godfrey

Am a model 4rm nigeria i luv ur designs so much and will lky 2 be ur model pls.

February 22, 2011 at 10:23 pm | Reply
  14. Hugo

Hi Christopher
    What are you doing from your design end to prevent others from counterfeiting your product?
    Hugo

February 22, 2011 at 10:55 pm | Reply
  15. marie

What is the most popular or best burberry scent, there were two that i truly liked in the stores, and one i smelled on a woman, so what perfume are you best known for?

February 23, 2011 at 2:46 am | Reply
  16. Angela in Zurich

Yes, follow up to the "plaid" question: please talk about Asia, and how Burberry views that market, especially China. Why are these places becoming so important for luxury brands. THANKS.

February 23, 2011 at 11:19 am | Reply
  17. L. Hafra

Dear C. Bailey,

My question is that where have your ideas of Burberry Acoustic and Art of the Trench come from?
    I love this site and project, because with these Burberry isn't just a luxury brand. The Acoustic support a young, british and talented bands. And I like a music on fashion shows and your MusicMonday on Twitter too.

P.S. I congratulate for new womenswear f/w 2011, fantastic

L. Hafra
    Gyula, Hungary

February 23, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Reply
  18. Daimaru, Yasuhiko

Helle Mr Bailey

Here are my questions:

Are you interested in the BOP market?
    If yes, what kind of label do you create for them?

Cheers

Yasuhiko Daimaru
    Kawasaki
    Japan

February 23, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Reply
  19. Daimaru, Yasuhiko

Hello Mr Bailey
    Are you interested in the BOP market?
    If yes,you'd create a new label but what kind ?

February 23, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Reply
  20. Olga

Hello Christopher, I'd like to know:

a) Why was Burberry Prorsum for a long time shown during Milan fashion week, what made you decide to move the show to London and do you see it remaining there in the future? Many British designers like Stella McCartney or Alexander McQueen moved their show from London to Paris. Looks like Paris is everyone's dream.

b) Who is the Burberry client these days? Some years ago it would have been easy to define that person as someone wealthy but quite old fashioned. Now you have a young, almost couture-like approach to Burberry Prorsum, for the jet-setting celebrities; Burberry London representing the classics; Burberry Brit – for the young, cool and casually chic; and Burberry Sport – practical, comfortable and well, sporty. Virtually- anyone who can afford the brand can find something suitable for them. Is it easy or incredibly hard to be designing for such a vast potential clientele?

c) How do you feel about the pace of fashion these days: two main collections, cruise collections, pre-collections, special collections and all of this in every sub-brand of a fashion house. Isn't it too much? This is the pace at which high-street brands need to operate, to make up for lack of originality and quality. Is it really necessary for even the big Prêt-à-Porter brands to constantly have this race against time?

Hope you answer some of those,
    thank you!

February 23, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Reply
  21. Olga

P.S. From Estonia =)

February 23, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Reply
  22. Laszlo H.

Dear Christopher Bailey,

I think that the Burberry is the best luxury brand, and it's not just a brand. The Burberry Acoustic support a young, talented british bands.
    Where did the idea of Burberry Acoustic and Art of the Trench come from?

February 23, 2011 at 7:12 pm | Reply
  23. monsor

Hello Christopher Bailey and CNN friends,some people are complaining about your product that too costly and what are the achievements in their communities in places you establish your companies?I monsor will ask you that;what are the assistance you are doing from where you established?can you please find another techniques to improved your establishments in the whole world?I really love your designer,even I don,t have plenty of your designer.keep improving your businesses.

February 23, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Reply
  24. Ehimhen from Nigeria

Hello,
    My favorite pants are my black and beige Burberry- lovely! However, if I want to own one piece of Burberry handbag, what designer would you recommend?

February 24, 2011 at 12:59 am | Reply
  25. candy

Would want u 2 a branch in africa possible nigeria, coz here are more crazy bout ur designer. Thanx

February 24, 2011 at 10:57 am | Reply