Tune in at 16:00 London, 19:00 UAE

Your chance to quiz teen adventurer Jessica Watson

February 17th, 2011

Holding the title of successfully sailing around the world is not an easy title, but imagine being the youngest person to ever do it as well.

Australian teen Jessica Watson departed Sydney on October 18, 2009 and headed eastbound across the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic and then the Indian Ocean.

While on the journey, Jessica encountered difficult weather conditions and on several occasions found herself in a battle against the ocean.

In May 2010, some eight months later, Jessica became the youngest person to sail around the world non-stop and unassisted.

Here's your chance to have your questions answered by this young adventurer.

Please leave your questions below and be sure to include where you're writing from.

1. Carol Mosier

Feb. 17, 2011 8:38 AM

Hi, Jessica!

Just wondered if you ever wrote any personal notes to your family, or friends, while you were at sea, that you gave them, after your return, as a remembrance of your trip? Or, maybe even give them something that you had taken along with you . . . for them to have as a souvenir of your record-breaking circumnavigation? (Similar to what some of the astronauts do when they return from their space voyage.) If so, can you share with us what you did?

Carol Florida U.S.A.

February 17, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Reply
  2. Peet (South Africa)

What's next?

February 17, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Reply
  3. Heikki

What was the most amazing or wonderous thing you saw on your journey around the world?

February 17, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Reply
  4. Edward

Peet from South Africa just asked the question I wanted to ask, so I'll just rephrase it:

What will you do next to top this?

February 17, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Reply
  5. sue bevins

Hi Jessica. I am in awe of your courage. I was wondering how being in a vast dark ocean in a teaspoon informed your opinions on such things as the universe,religion, god and the meaning of life. I am much older than you and have had many flip flops on such things over the years. I would imagine that experiences such as yours, which require amazing faith and courage, would have a profound effect? Have you read 'the life of pi'? Thank you Jessica, you are an inspiration. Sue in Sacramento Ca USA

February 17, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Reply
  6. Joe Catman

As much as you can, please walk us through a "typical" day on the seas. How much down time did you have? Did you have any amenities? Like, did you have a laptop and movies?

February 17, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Reply
  7. WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

so beautiful.

February 17, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Reply
  8. Rose (New Zealand)

Your 4 knock-downs in the South Atlantic – on page 230 of your book True Spirit, you say that your life-raft had broken out of it's lashings in the cockpit and that you had managed to get it below. A couple of questions – how much does the life-raft weigh (vs your weight), what are it's dimensions, and how do those measurements compare to the companion way entry, as I understand you had your bottom washboards permanently fastened in? Which knock-down caused the life raft to break free, and having got it below, had you been able to lash it down or was it "floating free" in subsequent knock-downs? What was the sea state and wind conditions while you were "rescuing" it? Also, how did you get it back out into the cockpit after it had all settled down!

February 17, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Reply
  9. Rose (New Zealand)

And another question – when are you coming to New Zealand?

February 17, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Reply
  10. Ann ( Australia)

I would love to know how much your satellite phone bill and internet bill was for the journey, even though part of it may hav been provided by sponsors. Well done

February 18, 2011 at 2:48 am | Reply
  11. Rose (New Zealand)

Well this has been a "waste" of a day. I picked up my copy of True Spirit to check out the page reference for my previous question and have spent the day reading it all over again! and I now have another question – again something you glossed over very very lightly in your blog and book, but a time in your voyage that caused a great deal of concern to those following you – your run down the west coast of Tasmania on a very nasty lee shore. How large was the weather window when you decided to make the run for it? What day / time and under what conditions did you start – did you anticipate the break, and how long did it actually take you. Obviously there was a delay in advising that you had made the run for it, but the distance you had to cover in the available weather window – you must have had the pedal to the metal to get to the corner, if one can call it pedal to the metal in a 6 kts pink boat! Did you ever think that you might not get around? Thanks for answering all my questions (I hope ;>)

February 18, 2011 at 6:56 am | Reply
  12. Jack (Canada)

Beloved Skipper, I am in awe of your courage. Could you comment on your battle south along the west coast of Tasmania?

For what you did you broke the record: for who you are, you have a place in the hearts of people all over the world.

February 20, 2011 at 3:08 am | Reply
  13. Jurgen R. Brul

Hello Jessica Watson and CNN friends,

I would like an answer from Jessica Watson on the following questions:

– How will your Pacific Ocean, Atlantic and Indian Ocean journey Improve our world?

– What can we expect from you in 2011?

I am awaiting Jessica Watson’s replies.
    Greetings,
    Jurgen R. Brul
    Hometown: Paramaribo
    Nativity country: Suriname

February 20, 2011 at 9:30 pm | Reply
  14. Ed Daniel

I know you enoy hiking and backpacking, and while I am a boater (both sail and power) and hiker/backpacker I have done nothing approaching hat you have done, sailing around the word. However, I had a natural affinity to what you were doing and could not understand why until I saw the portion of your video where you talked about the simplicity of being out here. It reminded me of my backbacking days. Do you find a similarity of experiences between bachpacking and sailing regarding the simplicity?

February 21, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Reply
  15. Mark Watland

Hi Jess,
    I have two questions. I know that you'll be sailing in the Mini-Fastnet with Scott and you've talked about doing your first Sydney to Hobart race and possibly the Mini-Transat.
    1.) Can you tell us who the crew of your first Sydney to Hobart will
    include, or are you going to keep us in suspense?
    2.) Are there any other trans-ocean races that you are currently
    considering sailing in?

Mark
    (SaltyDog from Seattle, WA)

February 22, 2011 at 8:42 pm | Reply
  16. c thompson

hi, this is a repeat of questions already asked, but would you give in more detail the west coast of tasmania portion of your journey. thanks

March 5, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Reply
  17. Olayemi Olabode

What a wonderful task the lass has overcame..........congratulation for the record made.

March 10, 2011 at 9:04 pm | Reply
  18. IFEANYI .M. DURU

all those days, weeks, months what were you eating and who kept you company at the course of the journey?

March 10, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Reply
  19. Franklin

Please Jessica, with what did you sail, ship or is there any other means? What were you eating during that period of 8months? Please answer me with every sincerity

March 10, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Reply
  20. Lawrence

Jessy. What came over u, to make u take such decision? Secondly did u think about the risks involved?

March 10, 2011 at 9:33 pm | Reply