Tune in at 16:00 London, 19:00 UAE

Controversial priest Alberto Cutie takes your questions

February 22nd, 2011

His story is controversial and it's got many people talking.

Father Alberto Cutie caused a stir in 2009 when he was pictured kissing a woman on the beach while serving as a priest in the Roman Catholic Church.

Soon after the pictures surfaced he decided to leave the Catholic Church and marry the woman he says he fell in love with.

No stranger to publicity, the American-Cuban had already gained popularity as the first priest to host a secular television and radio talk show; he was even dubbed ‘Father Oprah’ by many of his followers for his sound relationship advice.

Now almost two years later, he is married with a child, and is serving in the Episcopal Church.

Father Cutié recently released a candid memoir, which he says reflects the devastating struggle between upholding his sacred promises as a priest and falling in love.

His story has, unsurprisingly, stirred the age-old debate about celibacy in the priesthood.

What do you want to ask Father Cutié? Leave your questions for him below, and do tell us where you are writing in from.

1. Keira

I'd like to ask Father Cutie the following: Why is the Catholic Church (and to a lesser extent the Evangelical Church) so resistant to change? Wouldn't they attract a bigger flock if they were more flexible w/ their ways?

Thanks!

Keira
    NY

February 22, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Reply
  2. Joyceelaine

Have you ever regretted leaving the Catholic church?

February 22, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Reply
  3. Anne

I've always been curious about how Hispanic Catholics adapt to Anglicanism - and many seem to do so quite well, not really seeing any difference between the two faiths (I'm speaking about lay people I know) - given the prominent role Mary has for Hispanic Catholics and how, at least in "white" Episcopalian churches I've attended, she doesn't seem to have much of a role at all. Does Mary have more prominence in the Hispanic Episcopal Church?

February 22, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Reply
  4. Pacifica

Fr. Cutie, why should anybody believe a liar such as you? Not only did you live a lie by pretending to be a faithful Catholic priest for years, but you recently lied when you were on “The View.” In an effort to make the celibacy rule sound stupid, you said “eating too much” and some other infractions were violations of the celibacy rule. If a priest eats too much, he commits the sin of gluttony. If he has sex, he commits the sin of impurity. If he marries (and only if he marries), he violates the celibacy rule.

February 22, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Reply
  5. Keith

Fr. Cutie,
    When you first admitted the relationship, you said that you did not want to become "the anti-celibacy priest." Some would say that with the views you've presented in your book and media appearances, you have indeed become that priest. How do you respond to those opinions?

Keith, Cleveland

February 22, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Reply
  6. Ettasek Eyong

Your story is very annoying> Why did you marry this woman only after pictures of you kissing her surfaced. I think celibacy is a choice and this priest was groomed for 7 years he of all people should not ligh his candle at both ends. Fornication , deceit?????

February 22, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Reply
  7. Jurgen Brul

Hello Alberto Cutie and CNN friends,

I would like an answer from Alberto Cutie on the following questions:

– How will you, how accept the Holy Spirit in your heart, Improve Safe Sex Worldwide between other Holy Spirits and Virgin Mary’s?

– What can we expect from you in 2011?

I am awaiting Alberto Cutie’s replies.
    Greetings,
    Jurgen R. Brul
    Hometown: Paramaribo
    Nativity country: Suriname

February 24, 2011 at 12:16 am | Reply
  8. Betty

Why have you chosen to remain in the public eye?

February 24, 2011 at 2:55 am | Reply
  9. Maria

Mr. Cutie,

I know two priest (Ireland and Washington State) who left the priesthood by asking for a dispensation, waited for it to be granted, both married a divorced Catholic women in the Catholic church and is now active as a reader and RCIA teacher. One's wife is a Eucharistic minister and active in the parishes. Why the sensationalizm to do what others have done before you? I do not think the general public realizes there are options for priests to leave the priesthood, which happens, and they are not captives.

February 25, 2011 at 3:48 am | Reply
  10. zena

Greetings Father Cutie

Did you ever question that what your Roman Catholic Faith taught
    you was not Biblical? Priests always married in the Katholikos Church
    of The Bble. * The Greek Church of the Septugint and Greek New Testament)
    I can't find anywhere where a rabbi ( priest ( Greek Orthodox Katholikos
    Priest ) nor any other priest should not marry.In fact it just states the opposite.
    Why would you still say you didn't want to be the only Anti Celibate Preist?
    There are Non Celiebate Preists ( Eastern Priests) etc The Celibacy Rule is not Biblical.
    IC XC NIKA
    Zena

February 25, 2011 at 9:08 am | Reply
  11. Mari Tineo

Well I am reading your book right now and all I can say is your story sounds a lot like minds. Now I can diffidently relate to your dilemma. Give me some advise in how to deal with this?? Help??

March 4, 2011 at 2:45 am | Reply
  12. David

Dear Mr. Cutie:

Wether you know it or not, you are still a priest in the order of Melchisidech of the Catholic Church. I think it was unwise of you to leave the Catholic Church and go to the Episcopal Church. The Episcopal Church is pro-abortion, pro-homosexual and radical feminist sham. It's ironic that very Catholic-minded clergy are coming into the Catholic Church because of how they feel of the current crisis of ordaining women lesbians as priests.

The simple thing you could have done is ask to leave the priesthood and your current wife could have seeked an annulment then you could have remained in the church and moved of to a more remote location from the public.

My personal opinion of your downfall was that your Father Oprah show rubbed elbows with the world and that as we know that Jesus said the world will hate us if we follow him. You tried to reconcile that but it cannot be. It's just like reconciling Satan and Jesus. We know that will never happen because Satan is evil, The Enemy and he is damned.

I pray for you and family that you will one day return to the True Church Christ founded 2,000 years ago.

God Bless.

March 8, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Reply
  13. Mary Esparza

I am not sure what to call you! As a devote Catholic. I was born and raised a Catholic. I am having a hard time with what you did. AS you should know a priest is a different person than the rest of us. I have and I known several good and honest men that beleive in what they are doing. You on the other hand I feel like your a game show host. My question is simply.... Why did you ever become a priest in the first place? If you supposedly know all these religious men that are priest turn them in. We need to clean house. You sir you did what you did and I just wish you would just simply keep your opinions to yourself. You are a true liar and believe me if I can get someone in the church to back up a petition against you. I will make sure that your book Dilemma never sees the light of day. Sir your a grown man take your licks like a grown up and quite trying to manipulate everyone. You have successed with your new church.

March 9, 2011 at 6:34 am | Reply
  14. Alex Mah

Dear soccer and tennis fans,
    The reason I love Lionel Messi as the greatest footballer of his generation is not singly because of his consistent soccer skills, it is also his humble and friendly character; if you want me to match similar character of other players, there is the world's No. 2 tennis player Reger Federer who comes into this category. We need to encourage players also to demonstrate such attitude as well.

Alex
    Taiwan (ROC)

March 10, 2011 at 1:41 am | Reply
  15. ron mcloughlin

In these days of gross pedophilia, anything to take our minds off these monster priests, Father Cutie, a real cutie too, is simply irresistible.As a young seminarian I remember a very handsome priest who was relived of his duties for having an affair(s) with the women parishioners. He was even more handsome than Fr. Cutie and resiliently dynamic.

March 17, 2011 at 4:37 am | Reply
  16. Philomena Carolan

I don't agree with how Fr. Cutie has acted with the situation but, can understand and have total sympathy for both of them, many people are criticising him all ends up, I wonder how many people who are criticising him and have secrets to hide themselves? It is usually the way.

It is the Pope who is the problem actually, has no one heard of all of the scandals in the catholic church, the Pope claims that celibacy is a "Gift from God" or a "Sign of Faith", and yet he talks to a doctor to try and stop abortion, as a life starts form the moment of conception.

That is the only thing I agree with the Pope on, fighting against abortion but, a married couple cannot start a life between them through celibacy so why does the Pope contradict himself has anyone asked themselves that question? Does the pope have something to hide and that is why he reacts the way he does so don't go criticising Fr. Cutie if you want answers I suggest you should question the Pope but not even he knows what he is talking about, I think that stupid, irrisponsible man should be forced to step down he is wrecking the church and you all complain about that one priest, he loves his wife and has never and never will abuse children, the pope has done nothing about that so, ask him the questions.

May 8, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Reply