Tune in at 16:00 London, 19:00 UAE

Are the Drug Cartels Killing Mexican Tourism?

March 28th, 2011

With the white sandy beaches of Acapulco to the night life of Cancun just some of the places attracting so many tourists to Mexico, is the threat of violence putting them off?

Every year millions of tourists come to Mexico, with many coming for the beautiful weather and cheap prices. This brought in almost $12 billion last year, which shows just how important tourism and the jobs it creates are to the economy.

However, drug-related violence in Mexico continues to plague the country, with more than thirty five thousand people killed since 2006. President Calderon deployed more than 40,000 troops and federal police to the worst-affected states to try and put an end to this problem.

Tune in tonight as CNN’s Rafael Romo looks at how the drug violence has affected Acapulco, once the destination of choice for people on spring break.

We want to hear from you on this subject. Are you going to Acapulco? Are you worried about your safety? What can the government do to attract tourists to this once idyllic coastal town?

Share your stories with us and be sure to say where you’re writing from.

1. cahuacan

Legalize drugs and get rid of the problem

March 28, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Reply
  2. Robert Adams

I am not going to Alcapulco for Spring Break ( I never take vacation then) I am not much of a beach person. But I am going to be going to Mexico City over Memorial Day and the following week. While I am concerned about random violence and petty theft, I want to explore the area now while I have the chance. If the situation was as bad in Mexico City as it is around Monterry, Jaurez or Tiajuana , I wouldn't be going.

March 29, 2011 at 9:58 am | Reply
  3. Maureen Webster

I am President of the Mexico Vacation Awareness Organization. This is a non profit organization formed after the tragic death of my 22 year old son Nolan Webster in Cancun Mexico. To read his story and stories of many other "victims" go to:

March 29, 2011 at 11:04 pm | Reply
  4. Angela

I do not plan on going to Acapulco but I am planning a destination wedding in Cancun in October and I am pretty upset with all the violence that is on the news. I keep hearing from family and friends that I am crazy for having my wedding there and lots of people are hesitant to come because of it. Does anyone think there is a real threat?

April 4, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Reply
  5. vacaciones en cancun en hoteles bahia principe

Wonderful web site. A lot of useful information here. I am sending it to several buddies ans also sharing in delicious. And obviously, thanks to your effort!

March 15, 2013 at 7:44 pm | Reply
  6. ofertas de hoteles ultima hora bahia principe1ofertas 2x1 en hoteles bahia principe

You can definitely see your enthusiasm within the paintings you write. The sector hopes for more passionate writers such as you who aren't afraid to mention how they believe. At all times follow your heart.

April 27, 2013 at 9:37 pm | Reply
  7. mira que bonito

I am really impressed together with your writing abilities as well as with the format in your weblog. Is this a paid subject or did you modify it your self? Either way keep up the nice high quality writing, it's rare to peer a great blog like this one nowadays..

April 29, 2013 at 9:52 pm | Reply