Tune in at 16:00 London, 19:00 UAE

Live from Abu Dhabiย Connect the World takes you on a journey across continents, investigating the stories that are changing our world.

Quiz Japanese rock group X Japan

June 28th, 2011

They're the biggest band to ever come out of Japan and they've even sold more albums than the Beatles, Rolling Stones and Bruce Springsteen combined in Japan.

X Japan is the most successful musical export from the country and they've sold more than 21 million albums and singles worldwide.

The band is so popular that they were even invited to compose a song for the Emperor of Japan in 1999.

One of the band members, Yoshiki Hayashi even has his own line of race cars, jewellery, sunglasses, clothes and even fragrances.

The band is currently touring Europe and this is your chance to have your questions answered by this legendary band.

Please leave your questions below and be sure to include where you're writing from.

1. Riz

You have a lot of fans in Southeast Asia, such as Malaysia and Singapore. Based on the fan club website, you seem to have a solid fanbase in Indonesia, one of the world's most populous countries with a large percentage of young population, who are your primary targets for potential market. Are you planning to expand your fanbase in the region, especially by performing there in the near future?

June 28, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Reply
  2. Jordan Dunnuck

Yoshiki and X Japan!

This is Jordan Dunnuck from Virginia in North America! I was at your show in New York City and it was the highlight of my life! The band as a whole has served as an enormous inspiration in my life. I have two big questions: One, when will X Japan come back to North America?? And two, can fans expect anything of the superband S.K.I.N. this year?

Much love from North America!

WE ARE!!!

June 28, 2011 at 9:16 pm | Reply
  3. Jessica

What is the best part about being reunited and touring/recording as a band? Are there any particular memories that stand out in your mind since the reunion?

June 28, 2011 at 11:56 pm | Reply
  4. Mae

Do you think that something is missed or changed in new songs because of hide's absence on main guitar?

Love you guys! Why don't you finally come where I'm currently writing these questions (Italy)? ๐Ÿ™‚

xoxo

June 29, 2011 at 12:39 am | Reply
  5. Muzaffar bhat

The real band in japan i like it

June 29, 2011 at 12:49 am | Reply
  6. Jared

I'm writing from LaGrange, Georgia in America.

Questions....

1) Why doesn't hide have a member profile on the site?
    2) Why don't you play the old songs like Rose of Pain? Is it because Taiji's bass is too hard for Heath (because we all know Taiji was amazing)? Does Taiji own the music or what? The original Rose of Pain was the BEST!
    3) Will X Japan ever come to Atlanta? ๐Ÿ˜ฆ
    4) How come Pata's never shown? ๐Ÿ˜ฆ He's sooooooo EPIC. ๐Ÿ™‚ Love you, Pata. Everything you play turns to gold. Also, I'm a huge fan of Ra:IN!
    5) How come Sugizo completely drowns out Pata now? X Japan used to have such great harmony...hide and Pata were the BEST together. And, I'm sure Pata could sound great with Sugizo, too, but Sugizo just seems to play everything now, and Pata gets nothing.
    6) How come Pata gets all the easy stuff now? He's such an amazing guitarist. ๐Ÿ™‚
    7) Heath, your solo stuff is really good. ๐Ÿ™‚ How come we can't hear that style in X? Taiji was VERY prominent in his playing.
    8) Toshi, this isn't a question....I just love you. โ™ฅ
    9) Sugizo...Love you, too. ๐Ÿ™‚ I think you have really great messages in your music. Will you bring more violin to X Japan?
    10) Yoshiki....You're just my idol. Genius. I could write a book with everything I want to ask you. ๐Ÿ˜„ I really love your classical piano stuff...Without You classical is one of the best things I've ever heard (the other being Art of Life, of course. Not the simplified twelve-minute thing. The REAL Art of Life....Is it bad that I listen to that just about every day?)
    11) Pata, everyone else cut their hair... But, you didn't. Why? (Not that I want it cut or anything. Your hair is actually very similar to mine....so ROCK ON! XD)
    12) Heath, I wanted your calendar, but it's sold out. ๐Ÿ˜ฆ
    13) Yoshiki, how long had you studied English when you were writing the original songs? Because it was very poetic–as if you had a better grasp on English than most native speakers.
    14) What's the favorite show you guys have ever played?
    15) Is X going for a more mainstream sound now for marketing reasons? I'm not saying it's bad or anything, but "Born to Be Free" is a far cry from the old stuff. It just sounds...common. X's uniqueness is what has always made the band. Don't change!!!
    16) Oh. ToshI, I really like when you scream live. ๐Ÿ˜„ ๐Ÿ˜„
    17) Yoshiki, when you speak in Japanese your voice sounds normal, but in English, it's so light! Why? It's not a bad thing!! I'm just wondering. Sounds like you're trying to be sexy. Hahaha
    18) Do you guys know what Taiji's doing now-a-days? Are y'all still friends? Keep in touch? People say Taiji left because of musical differences...but, if he did, what was he wanting to play? Anyway, if you're in touch with Taiji, tell him I love him, too. ๐Ÿ™‚
    19) Do you like the band Versailles? Because, they sure like you guys. I listened to their songs one day, and I was like...That's "Silent Jealousy!!!" That's "Endless Rain!!!" I was surprised, because their guitars are very similar to yours. Some are almost the exact same. Gosh..I know you guys are the best and influenced just about the rest of them...But, there's a limit to how much you borrow.
    20) What is a hopeful message for all your fans?
    21) Oh! Reading this, I sound like a Taiji fanatic. I mean, I love Taiji, but I love Heath, too!
    22) Are you guys growing your hair again? It looks longer now.
    23) What's your favorite song you've created? I think I read ToshI's was "Tears," but I'm not sure if that's correct.
    24) How long is X Japan going to be active? Will this be the last album, or do you guys plan on more?
    25) I live, breathe, sleep, eat, dream X!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

June 29, 2011 at 1:20 am | Reply
  7. Jazzy

Am fron Nigeria,my question is : as a group what major challanges have u faced together.and i just wanna say dat x ur mad strings got me feeling it, just saying dat i feel u all my trials.

June 29, 2011 at 2:11 am | Reply
  8. Calvin Chong

X-Japan, please tour Asia, please come to Singapore, you guys have a lot of fans here ๏ผผ(*ยดโ–ฝ`)๏ผ

June 29, 2011 at 4:48 am | Reply
  9. Jacob Castillo

X JAPAN!!!

Why since your first reunion concert, do you play Art of Life in two separate parts?

From North America

WE ARE X!!!

June 29, 2011 at 7:08 am | Reply
  10. Danny

Hi I'm from Australia.

My question is:

Will the werewolf JADE PV be released in full?

Thank you & have a killer tour!

June 29, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Reply
  11. Ryushi

Will you be coming back to the UK soon? I wasn't able to buy tickets before it sold out.

June 29, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Reply
  12. Mike G. Los

The new single Jade seems to be a showcase of all of X's styles and Born to be Free definitely has more of a pop rock, almost Muse-vibe to it. Will we see a return to the band's more epic, symphonic rock roots. Perhaps in the upcoming album?

Also I would just like to add, Rose of Pain rearranged with Sugizo on violin for the lead guitar part would be amazing.

June 30, 2011 at 12:31 am | Reply
  13. Mike G. (cont.)

- Also, it's Mike G. from Los Angeles, CA

June 30, 2011 at 12:33 am | Reply
  14. romix

How is the new album coming along? Will you tour north America soon again? I just downloaded "Jade." It's awesome! I love that guitar solo part!! Toshi's vocal is amazing, too. I love you guys so much. -from Seattle, WA

June 30, 2011 at 7:02 am | Reply
  15. Lorena

From Mexico, DF.

Why you chose drums as your other main instrument in the band seeing you do also play the guitar?

June 30, 2011 at 10:57 pm | Reply
  16. Anne A. Chicago

Greetings, Yoshiki and X Japan!

My friends and I in Chicago, New York and Toronto want to help you conquer North America! How can we get you over here??

Also, the violin introduction in Kurenai is a lovely touch. Now I think you should create a special reggae version with Ziggy Marley for sale to benefit Yoshiki Foundation. Jah Love KURENAI!!!

In memoriam, Hide: "Ars longa, vita brevis"

July 2, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Reply
  17. Evan Seth

From California

1) Will you play a show in Los Angeles again? I was at your show at the Wiltern and absolutely loved it... I want to be at the stage this time!

2) Yoshiki, how do you feel when you stage dive? You've been doing it a lot lately, since the LA show last year, and I'm kind of worried for you every time you do it because something could go wrong and we could lose you... I'd like to know what you get from it ๐Ÿ™‚

3) When will the album be on sale?

4) Toshi, you don't have to answer this if it's too personal, but how have you been doing? I know how hard it is to escape such a life as the one that trapped you for a bit, and you have given me a lot of inspiration and others. Do you still plan to share your story?

5) How are you all still so sexy!!! Seriously all of you are so sexy, you especially Yoshiki โค

6) Are Without You, IV, and Jade a trilogy memorial of hide?

July 4, 2011 at 11:31 am | Reply
  18. George F Cheng

When you first started X, there were quite a few doubters, proclaiming X/X Japan will never make it in the music industry. Now X Japan is on iconic status in Japan, and the band's popularity is spreading overseas.

How does it feel to prove all the doubters in your early days wrong, turning them from doubters to believers?

– George

July 4, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Reply
  19. Nancy G.

From Boston, Massachusetts USA

1- X Japan is finally conquering the music spectrum worldwide. What do you feel has been the biggest challenge when it comes to trying to acomplish worldwide recognition?

2- If you could tour with any other musical act in the world, who would it be and why?

3- This question is specifically for Heath, because I play bass as well and he's my all time favorite bassist and a huge inspiration! Heath, what do you feel is the most difficult X Japan song to play on bass and also, what do you think of female bass players? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thank you!! We Are X!!!!!!!!!!! \m/

July 4, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Reply
  20. Karen

Hi Yoshiki – This is Karen from North Carolina. X Japan fans are so passionate not only because of your amazing music but also because of your unmatched history. I was so touched to read about all of your struggles and triumph in the biography "Yoshiki". I was always a fan, but after reading that I became a devoted fanatic and I think it is a story that needs to be shared with fans around the world. Do you have a plan to translate it into English and perhaps even other languages? Can you share one of the most memorable stories behind a song?

I love how we get to experience dream becoming reality with you guys. I've never been to any other shows that made me feel such raw emotions where the band and fans from around the world laugh, cry, and rock out together as one. It is just so beautiful. When will you be back to tour U.S. again? Have you considered selling backstage passes so more fans get a chance to meet you guys?

July 4, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Reply
  21. Vickie Jackson

From France,

I just wanna know if you plan to come back in France .. For any show .. ?

I missed you as soon as I left Le Zenith on Friday .. We would love it if you come back ! ( as all fans in the whole world haha )

July 4, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Reply
  22. Weedeggs

My question is: will you change songs from the World Tour setlist between cities? And also, will you start playing older songs as well?

Thanks.

July 4, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Reply
  23. Montse Polanco

Hi yoshiki and X JAPAN!
    I wonder ... would like to try Mexican food? because I am Mexican and Mexican food and Japanese food are completely different and like to know the sights of Mexico? because they are also completely different (LOL)
    but more importantly, would like to know Mexican culture? and because fans are so excited about his arrival?

And is all
    Adios!//Bye!//ใ•ใ‚ˆใ†ใชใ‚‰

July 4, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Reply
  24. Hivenfour

Hi from Spain!

of the new songs in the album, there will be any fast and crazy? well, or fast and catchy ๐Ÿ˜€ (with solos XD)

thx. WE ARE X!!!!

July 4, 2011 at 8:53 pm | Reply
  25. Alexis

First of all... Yoshiki, I have to say that if your dream was to love the music and make people dream with your music .. You got it. Because there is nothing more fulfilling to hear every note that comes from your heart.

Is possible to see X Japan in Spain? What are your feelings of European tour?

And.. Do you want play music with me? (I had to try it.. haha)

We Are X! Spain is X!

July 4, 2011 at 9:04 pm | Reply
  26. Grecia Atencio

Hello to all members of X JAPAN !
    Im from venezuela .
    my question is
    What do you opine about the xfan's who travel to another country just to hear and see a xjapan performance ?.
    Venezuela Loves you !!
    WERE ARE X !

July 4, 2011 at 9:14 pm | Reply
  27. Silvia

Hi from Barcelona, Spain

This past months spanish fans have been quite active in twitter, YOSHIKI said he wanted to come to Spain, posted a link to our blog, spain was the only country where JADE got a nยบ1 in the rock iTunes charts, lots of spanish fans went to the diferent concerts from the european tour and the conference in the japan expo, a spanish flag was visible in the paris concert, and YOSHIKI even picked two spanish flags in the utrecht live. Spanish fans are now excited about it and are hoping for a concert during the next european tour.

What are your thoughts about it?

Another question:

I was one of the passangers of the X-Train from London to Paris.How come you joined us? it was very surprised to know you were taking the same train ahaha

July 5, 2011 at 12:10 am | Reply
  28. Jordi

Hello from Spain Yoshiki! May I ask you some questions?

First one is if there's anything from your career that you regret doing and also how do you make it to work with the band? Is it all based in LA or both LA and Japan?

Also, I'd like to know if you will ever compose songs with a more political meaning, I know most of your songs are about love, life and death but with your great talent as a lyricist it would be great to see you writing something else.

We are X!

PS: Will you come to Spain? Haha

July 5, 2011 at 12:21 am | Reply
  29. Jonti

Hey! WE ARE X!

Could you ever come to Sweden to perform some day?

Also, will you hold any more lives in Japan except the summer Sonic this year? When will you announce it?

Love you X! You are the best!

July 5, 2011 at 1:51 am | Reply
  30. Yanuardila

Hi Yoshiki, straight to the question:

– You did "X JAPAN with TAIJI" Live in Yokohama last year, can fans expect something like that again sometimes in the future? will you guys do another Live with TAIJI and play a lot of old songs, like something from Vanishing Vision, etc?

– What do you think about (fans) bootlegs ? You know that there are many X-Freaks who come to X concert, record the show, n then share/ trade it with other fans trough out the world via Internet (or even, they record it just for personal use only). How do you think about it? considering even X JAPAN had released an official bootleg album 'Live in HOKKAIDO'... give us your opinion n thoughts about it

actually I got some more question, but suddenly I forget it... so, I think these two is (maybe) enough. please answer it, regards

July 5, 2011 at 5:45 am | Reply
  31. Yanuardila

Aah, I forget... I'm from Indonesia

We are X !

July 5, 2011 at 5:48 am | Reply
  32. Volucre

Hello from New York.

Yoshiki-san, I've listened to an early version of Art of Life called End of the World, which ends with your piano solo. In the first part of the song, you wrote, "I don't want to let my emotions get out." When you added the ending later, you wrote, "I just want to let my emotions get out." You composed Tears soon after, didn't you?

My question is, how did you decide to rename End of the World to Art of Life, and to add an ending–where piano and drums were finally playing at the same time?

July 13, 2011 at 5:27 am | Reply