Tune in at 16:00 London, 19:00 UAE

Swine Flu – a one-hour special

April 27th, 2009

A special edition of "connect the world" coming your way today. We are devoting the entire hour to a single threat that many fear could become the next global pandemic. As of writing, seven countries are struggling to contain an outbreak of swine flu - as new cases emerge by the hour. Ground zero is Mexico, where the health minister has confirmed that 149 people have died. While there are no deaths related to swine flu in any other country yet, there is a palpable and understandable sense of concern around the world as governments scramble to get their contingency plans in place should the WHO raise their level of pandemic alert. We'll be speaking to a top virologist in mexico city and asking how long the government there has known and could anything have been done before now to prevent the deaths and the fear. And i'll be talking to Liam Donaldson – the UK's chief medical officer, hot out of the latest cobra meeting about plans to contain any further spread should things get worse.
This is big and it's frightening. We want to hear from you – wherever you are in the world. Get connected and help us make the connections that matter....

Posted by
Filed under:  General
  1. Disminame

Yes, let's try to freak out people around the world. At least "the economy" isn't top news now. Or "the taliban" (as if there is an organized group like that) or "et cetera". For me, swine flu just makes me want to make cheap and obvious pun jokes.

Maybe I am wrong. We shall see in two weeks. If it's still news then, I concur... If I haven't died of swine flu in the meantime.

April 27, 2009 at 8:13 pm | Reply
  2. Martha Sim, Rio de Janeiro

A Chinese proverb warns,"If we do not change direction, we are likely to end up exactly where we are headed."

Thank you for connecting the world to me and changing my direction.

April 28, 2009 at 3:12 am | Reply
  3. Brother Tracy Gibson

I am very concerned about Dr. Sanjay Gupta being over used during the health problems in Mexico and the U.S. Are your editors thinking this through? He has to get his rest and chicken soup. I know I sound like an old lady, but that gentleman is a treasure to All Amerians, we all want him to remain healthy. PLEASE MAKE SURE HE IS GETTING REST AND STAYING IN MOSTLY SAFE PLACES DURING THE FLU EMPIDEMIC. The reporting on the subject has been gerat, but scary. Keep up the great work. Tanks.

Brother Tracy Gibson

Philadelphia & Delaware

April 28, 2009 at 6:46 am | Reply
  4. David Page

My mother purchased a airline ticket from Volaris.com on the 17th of this month, just prior to the out break becoming know to the public. I spent 2 hours on the phone with Volaris trying to cancel the ticket because clearly she should not be going to Mexico now. they would not help in anyway. she is 70 and was going to visit her mother and has a heart condition. does anyone know what i can do to help her? they realy doesnt seem right.

April 29, 2009 at 3:33 am | Reply
  5. Disminame

Are you serious, David P? Where in Mexico will she go? You see, most people who get so unfortunate to get the swine flu, heal perfectly with the right medicine, would it be that they would come to the UNLIKELY scenerio where they would get it anyway. Not the entire country of Mexico is flooded with the flu, k? ,,,Pff. I am still doing fine without a mouth cap...Hail me, the surviver!

April 29, 2009 at 10:38 pm | Reply