Tune in at 16:00 London, 19:00 UAE

Solar Eclipse

July 21st, 2009

The longest total solar eclipse this century begins just hours from now, sweeping east across China and into the Pacific Ocean. Millions of sky gazers across the region are looking for the best spots to catch six minutes and 39 seconds of darkness (iffy weather permitting) and scientists will be hoping to capture crucial data as the stunning phenomenon unfolds. But not all of us are fascinated by the experience. Since time began, solar eclipses have been associated with bad luck. Nearly ten percent of respondents to a CNN.com quick poll today said they find the whole experience "freaky". So, will you be watching, and if so where? Are you excited, or just a little scared?

Help us Connect the World at 9p London time – email me at connecttheworld@cnn.com or leave a comment below. We'll do our best to share as many of your thoughts – superstitious or not – on air!

Posted by
Filed under:  General
  1. mariatere

no de ninguna manera me pone freek, mas bien me agradan, no me dan miedo, solo que de alguna manera siempre cambia el clima no se por que sera. ni me interesa lo bueno es mantener el misterio. pero no me pasa nada.solo me gustan. gracias.

July 21, 2009 at 6:23 pm | Reply
  2. nirupama

I'm so excited about the solar eclipse. Since i stay in the south eastern part of India i guess i can only see a partial eclipse. Many Indians are superstitious regarding this phenomenon and i already have got instructions from my mom not to eat anything or venture out of the house till the eclipse ends.
    But i'm all set to watch the eclipse (really hope the weather permits as it had rained yesterday morning) .

July 21, 2009 at 6:39 pm | Reply
  3. Hans Muecke

I was able to live thru the eclipse in germany 1999. It was amazing (even though it was overcast), but it also gave me a weird scary feeling. It tought me that without the sun ... we will die.

July 21, 2009 at 6:49 pm | Reply
  4. Shandana Said

I wasn't bothered until I decided to click one of the main articles listed on the front of the Yahoo website this morning. It was all about the many predictions that link this eclipse to war, natural disasters and impending turmoil for the Earth. That was enough to get me startled. But the article also did say that during the eclipse is a good time to spend in prayer. That was a more comforting thought.

July 21, 2009 at 7:33 pm | Reply
  5. mastersoftrivia

Solar eclipse (whether partial or total) are always a treat for the eyes and senses. http://bit.ly/SolarEclipse

July 21, 2009 at 7:54 pm | Reply
  6. sunny morales

No i'm not scared. Its up to God. God is in control! What ever happens, its gona happen. If nothing happens, well thats its whats going to happen...nothing! People enjoy this Solar eclipse!

July 21, 2009 at 11:00 pm | Reply
  7. German

I only hope my nightmare does not come true, i had a dream yesterday that a big quake followed the eclipse.... other than that I'm very exited, bad thing that in California we wont get a glimpse of the eclipse.

July 21, 2009 at 11:49 pm | Reply
  8. Pagan

I think there is a pagan in everyone of us. We are in awe at nature's great mysteries even if we have explanations now. The Sun is our provider and sustainer and science has only proved it further. An eclipse serves to remind us of our eternal ties with nature, Being a nature worshipper is the most natural thing to be.

July 22, 2009 at 2:15 am | Reply
  9. Ibu David

There is no need for anyone to be freaked out by just a few minutes of total or partial darkness, although its abnormal there are other more freaky abnormalities and i believe its just part of nature.

July 22, 2009 at 8:11 am | Reply