Tune in at 16:00 London, 19:00 UAE

Infertility treatment in China

August 11th, 2009

What's your view of the boom in infertility treatment in China - a country with an official "one child" policy? Let us know your thoughts. You can read Emily Chang' story here and you can get the full story with your feedback on Connect The World on CNNI tonight. All week Connect the World is reporting on fertility issues around the globe, and we want to hear your thoughts.

Posted by
Filed under:  General
  1. CF

There are enough people in China (and in the rest of the world) as it is. If people (not only in China, but anywhere else) can't conceive naturally, it's Nature's way of saying it's just not for them. We don't need more people.

August 11, 2009 at 1:42 pm | Reply
  2. Toomuchcoffeelady

Childlessness, while a legitimate life choice, is not the right choice for everyone. Nor is adoption a remotely easy or affordable process. If a fertility-challenged couple of any nationality wants children and has the means to get fertility treatments (and to **support** those children, Octomom I'm talking to you), good luck to them!

August 11, 2009 at 1:44 pm | Reply
  3. rob

So Chinese are worried about making more Chinese ? I think India needs to wake up and attack this problem as well. I live in a country with a population of 4 million people, and no one here is concerned about the " race" disappearing off the face of the earth. The real question is, how do we stop mass production of humans in terrible developing conditions, who come only to find a way to survive, and begin a sustainable ( by the chinese gov, lets disregard the planet of course ) reproduction of citizens who come to serve way to progress and a human worthy lifestyle.

August 11, 2009 at 4:50 pm | Reply
  4. Toomuchcoffeelady

@Rob: The real question is, how do we stop mass production of humans in terrible developing conditions, who come only to find a way to survive, and begin a sustainable ( by the chinese gov, lets disregard the planet of course ) reproduction of citizens who come to serve way to progress and a human worthy lifestyle.

This is my point. If a couple has the means to afford fertility treatment, chances are that is a result of their being productive citizens with good careers and strong financial portfolios who will produce and raise the same.

August 11, 2009 at 5:01 pm | Reply
  5. Toomuchcoffeelady

@CF If people (not only in China, but anywhere else) can’t conceive naturally, it’s Nature’s way of saying it’s just not for them.

Uhh... my body does not produce or synthesize insulin naturally; without diabetes medication, I wouldn't be here. Are you saying that's Nature's way of saying I should not be alive?

August 11, 2009 at 5:03 pm | Reply
  6. nicola

I am not a supporter of established religon so my opinion is completely independant of these groups, but I am against the fertility treatments, it reminds me too much of "brave new world" and I wonder how far this science will go and if in the future it maybe considered that all children should be created this way. If you physically cant have a child then why not adopt their are millions desperately needing a home, why does it have to be genetically yours, what is the difference if you raise and love a child, a mother or father is really defined by the fact that they raise the child, not contributed sperm or eggs.

August 11, 2009 at 5:25 pm | Reply
  7. Ing P Daub

In early times the pharao-priests teached us how to organize our life and work and society. In the middle ages kings and emperors took over, and since the centuries of science and industry the producers ("you can buy my cars in every color, if it is black" said Ford). Later trade and marketing gave us the lead which products we should buy and what was going to be the latest "style". After the last big war consumer choices, consumer rights and consumer organizations were the newest developments in the history of mankind. And now we are in the 21st century of maturity! The human being as an individuality with his/her own freedom to choose and own responsibility, also for the world as a whole! Where we learned thinking ourselves since the Greek philosophers, where we learned as citizens to organize human societies since the Romans and the French Revolution, as consumers we are now in the middle of the down-to-earth economy, including all its problems today! As Joseph Beuys the great artist and teacher in art said: WE are the revolution! (Title of the great exposition in Berlin this year). According to the problem of fertility the Chinese people is one of the oldest and wisest of the whole world and knew about reincarnation long before the people in "modern" Europe! Only from that wider view on the history of mankind we can understand that the world is overcrowded now because everybody was eager to be on earth in these highly interesting time! Despite all discussions we are going now to a lower level of world population as a logic next development in history as a living process. I think!

Peter Daub
    consumer360.org

August 11, 2009 at 6:26 pm | Reply
  8. Steve

Fertility treatment is self supporting – If someone needs fertility treatment then genetically their offspring have a greater chance of also needing it, sustaining the market for the treatment and compromising the survivability of our race from an evolutionary perspective.

But tits no worse than keeping people alive who would otherwise naturally die as the person with diabetes pointed out, and I don't know anyone who would wish that diabetics die out, if so goodbye a large part of our population and our loved ones ;-).

August 11, 2009 at 6:38 pm | Reply
  9. SuzannD

@Nicola. "If you physically cant have a child then why not adopt"
    If only things were so simple. Adoption is a tortuous, intrusive, stressful, multi-year process with no guarantee of success. Not for everyone.
    Also: "why does it have to be genetically yours". Many couples become fertility tourists to access donor eggs or sperm, as they can't acces them in their home countries. In this case their children are partially or not genetically related to them. So this isn't just obsessing about having your own genetic children.
    Assisted reproduction technology (ART) is an ethically and technically complex area. The debate would be more interesting if people were even a little better informed (Wiki is a good start).

August 11, 2009 at 6:49 pm | Reply
  10. Ronald

@Nicola: adoption, where I live, is now limited to a very select number of countries, out of which you can only adopt either children that are disabled, or children that are older and usually severely traumatized. There is a huge shortage of children that can be adopted. This is now reaching the point that (Dutch) people can no longer adopt male children out of China and hardly any female children. There was even a discussion of stopping adoptions from China and the USA altogether because they could be adopted locally.

Most children that are still available for adoption are malnourished or treated as some sort of items instead of children, increasing the chance of emotional problems later on. And the chances you're adopting a kid from a parent that has been smoking and drinking heavily during pregnancy – or was doing heroine or crack – are rather high. Another issue is that during the birth of a baby, and a few days after, the baby releases feromones that trigger a bonding between parent and baby. This really helps to develop a family bond. With adopted kids you can still bond, but it won't get the feromone booster package.

In my circle of acquintances there have been 2 families adopting children. One couple divorced over the trouble that resulted from adopting a kid with severe mental disorders that only became apparent a few months after adoption. It wreaked havoc on the mental stability of their existing child. The other couple has had a rough time, but after the second child (out of the USA) finally got a definite gender (lots of surgery), it should go better. Lovely kid, but it's in for a very rough ride later on in life.

All in all, I'd rather take my chances with a fertility clinic.

August 11, 2009 at 8:24 pm | Reply
  11. JD

@ CF:
    Suppose you have a medical condition that makes you terminally ill in a few months if not treated, say mamarian cancer for instance. What is nature telling us? Do we as a society devote resources to raise awareness so you can address your medical issue on time? Or should we take on the "opportunity" to do with you and the many others with similar medical condition. What do you think now?

August 11, 2009 at 8:37 pm | Reply
  12. Beau

I'm not really sure what the point of this topic is. Most of all the above comments are unintelligible, however, this comment really sticks out:

'how do we stop mass production of humans in terrible developing conditions'

I'm not quite sure what is even meant by 'terrible developing conditions.' Does that mean that conditions are getting worse or that the country is developing and that fact is terrible? But even more importantly, who are we to stop production of humans? Wouldn't it be more productive to encourage the types of developments that naturally lower the rate of child birth?

W.W. Rostow, for one, theorized that as populations become more industrially developed and move away from agrarian means, thus needing less labor to tend the fields, they naturally produce less offspring. It makes sense that the more developed, urban and educated a society is the less likely they will be to have many children. If you are a subsistence farmer and you don't own modern machinery you will need lots of help. Children are your cheap labor, to put it harshly. If you are a white collar worker living in an urban dwelling a family of six is not so beneficial. China is now going through a modernization of agriculture and the city populations are swelling. This coupled with much needed government social welfare programs and sex education will bring birth rates down more, for lack of a better word, organically. However, the government now has in place a rather strict and encompassing one child policy so I again ask, what is this topic really driving at?

I would guess that many people seeing China as a Communist country, note the big 'C', assume that it operates a socialist system. In fact, America, Canada and much of Europe is far more socialist than China in that we provide basic social welfare programs – such as medicare, medicaid, food stamps, and even homeless shelters and soup kitchens, etc. – of which China does not. Without these systems of welfare focusing on the well being of citizens a nation can not develop into the exemplar that you all believe your countries to be – I'm looking at you New Zealand Rob.

So before you cast aspersions and throw out opinions I suggest a bit more contemplation and research. Though China is a prominent country it is a developing country and I would strongly argue against its conditions being terrible. It is a lovely country with great diversity, geographically speaking. Perhaps, in opposition to what one commenter suggests, you should all do a bit more research beyond Wikipedia. Try traveling or at least watch some History, Discovery and PBS programs. You might be surprised to find out the world is much more complex and quite a bit different than what you have imagined.

August 11, 2009 at 9:00 pm | Reply
  13. r

The Irony is that Americains go to china every year by the thousands to adopt children who, for the most part, are girls. I doubt the cost for a domestic chinese adoption is high or even close to the cost of IVF.

As far as the time it takes I would think its about the same as the adoption process and in the end adoption is guaranteed and IVF isn't. The cost is nearly the same but there are agencies that have sliding scales for those who wish to adopt and there are some tax deductions for adoptive families. Adoption is certainly the answer for both the couple who want a family and those concerned with over population.

August 12, 2009 at 1:10 am | Reply
  14. Muthyavan.

In the last one hundred years scientist have successfully introduced globally a better way of new variety of healthier crops and cattle's with increased yields to feed the increasing wold populations. All these days religions and international think tanks were silent about these global healthier developments. Now in most of the scientifically advanced countries not only in China fertility research and child birth are medically controlled, but at a price. We all dint bother so much all these days about these advanced medical researches, why now bother when peoples are trying to control the quality and quantity of human birth in some parts of the world?.

August 12, 2009 at 1:00 pm | Reply
  15. Achukwu Achukwu

This report shows how "related" the people of the world are. Infertility is also problem that is better discussed in bedrooms rather than T.V over here in Africa.

August 19, 2009 at 1:43 pm | Reply
  16. Rima

some people say he is compassionless terrorist!
    why should we have compassion for him?
    well_shouldn`t we be better than him ?
    after all i heard about his
    release, ihave A feeling that some people are badly trying to be worse than him (when it goes about compassion)!

August 24, 2009 at 9:42 pm | Reply
  17. Hysteroscopy in Greece

Dr. Thanos Paraschos, medical director and head of emBIO, is a highly trained and experienced reproductive specialist who combines a compassionate approach to infertility issues for couples, combined with the newest fertility treatments and procedures around the world. "We have treated thousands of patients around the world," says Dr. Paraschos. "Our focus is to pay special attention to the needs of each of our couples and individuals and offer them the best treatments and options to fit their needs."

EmBIO’s facilities and staff offer comprehensive treatments in advanced fertility services that offer hope for couples experiencing a variety of fertility issues, both female and male based. Medical care in Greece is quality-based and offers high-tech and high quality facilities, clinics, hospitals and treatment centers. Greece, with thousands of years of history as the birthplace of modern medicine, certainly knows how to practice advanced medical technologies and take advantage of their potential.

Thanks for everything, I'm so glad that I spoke to you and found such a wonderful infertility treatment. If you need to visit this hospital then feel free here: 1.303.578.0719, info@placidway.com

August 10, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Reply
  18. Corner Cabinet `

the service charge of fertility clinics is quite high but the results are well worth the price"~:

October 11, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Reply
  19. Natural Treatments :

fertility clinics are getting more and more clients these days coz people are getting married at older age~-*

October 22, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Reply
  20. Sarah

Hello everyone – I hope this is a good place to say this given I am at my wits end. My name is Sarah and my husband and I have been trying (unsuccessfully) to conceive for almost four years now and have been through much together through our lives. I have experienced two miscarriages and several different doctors in an attempt to conceive our first child.

My husband is 31 and I am 29 years old and following my first signs of pregnancy which I identified really early at around 3 weeks, our baby unfortunately did not make it past the first month. In our second pregnancy, the hospital for some unknown reason did not take a blood test to verify the pregnancy. I was visited at home by the local nurse and on each occasion in light of our previous miscarriage I asked again for a blood test to confirm all was well.

Despite them not doing a blood test I insisted upon an ultrasound as I just had to know everything was ok – the ultrasound confirmed something I think we both already felt that the baby again didn't make it. As you can imagine we were both devastated (again). The doctors told us I had a problem with my uterus, and the uterus walls were abnormally thick, which it was assumed was causing the problem – we were told to persevere...

So we continued to try and recently I fell pregnant for the third time. I experienced bleeding for almost 1 month straight and the doctors could not really give me any answers why I was bleeding and simply conducted routine blood work to ensure I wasn't loosing too much blood and a brief check to look for any abnormalities. A little while later, you guessed it the baby passed. This time I was given more information from the doctors whom suggested there is the potential that my body does not produce sufficient amounts of the progesterone hormone to stay pregnant in addition to the thick wall of my uterus.

As you can imagine both my husband and I are exhausted and so want to have a baby but are determined – there are some procedures I can undergo apparently and also some drugs which can help with the hormone levels but I am really at my wits end. I regularly scour the internet looking for answers to my questions and recently came across this site (http://www.conceptionadvice.co.cc) which seems to show some good success stories, I will try anything at the moment, has anyone here heard about this or tried the course? I am running out of options (although we continue to try) and would appreciate any help anyone can provide to us.

November 18, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Reply
  21. Styrofoam Sheets

fertility clinics these days are very advanced and of course this can only mean higher success rates on birth .;"

December 13, 2010 at 5:24 am | Reply
  22. Mae

Infertility is such a hard trial couples have to go through. Personally, I think infertility is caused by our unhealthy eating habits, especially due to factory farming and the abundance of corn made products. Poor China couples that cannot conceive. Even if we have an abundance of people in the world, every responsible adult that wants to have kids should be able to. http://www.successfullyslimmer.com

January 6, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Reply
  23. Tommie Figgs

Fertility clinics are staffed medical clinics that assist couples, and sometimes individuals, who want to become parents but for medical reasons have been unable to achieve this goal via the natural course. Clinics apply a number of diagnosis tests and sometimes very advanced medical treatments to obtain the desired conceptions and pregnancies.,

Find out about our web page too
    <,http://www.healthmedicinecentral.com/persistent-sore-throat/