Tune in at 16:00 London, 19:00 UAE

Have your say on the Olympics

September 30th, 2009

LONDON, England – Join presenter Becky Anderson and the Connect the World team this Thursday, Oct. 1, for another live post-show text chat - via Skype - with CNN viewers and Web users.

Join CNN’s Becky Anderson Thursday to discuss the cities hoping for Olympic glory.

This is your chance to connect directly with Becky and the team to discuss Thursday's show.

This week we will be looking at the global gathering of them all - the Olympic Games. In Copenhagen tomorrow the International Olympic Committee will choose from Chicago, Madrid, Rio de Janeiro and Tokyo to host the 2016 summer Olympic Games.

Who do you think deserves to see the torch lit in their city in seven years time? Is your hometown worthy of staging the Olympics? Which cities have never held the honor – but deserves their stab at sporting glory?

If you want to have your say then make sure you join in with Thursday’s chat.

The Connect the World live chat is powered by Skype and it’s free to sign up — all you need to take part is a Skype username.

Just click on the link from the Connect the World homepage.

If you have problems accessing the chat, please make sure you are using the latest version of Skype or check the Skype help pages.

Filed under:  General
  1. Ray S

Sorry to sound so negative, but the Olympic games are becoming more boring every time they are held. Frankly I would not miss them if they were never held again.

With that said, and since they are apparently so important to large numbers of people, then let's do something different and choose Tehran, Iran for the 2016 Summer Games. By then, one of the events could be the ballistic missile launch competition.

September 30, 2009 at 4:10 pm | Reply
  2. Ken L

It is South America's turn. Rio would be a great choice.

September 30, 2009 at 5:04 pm | Reply
  3. Curtis

Clever, Ray. Clever.

September 30, 2009 at 5:04 pm | Reply
  4. manmeetsfire

Dallas, Texas.

September 30, 2009 at 5:24 pm | Reply
  5. Monica Kowarick

Rio de Janeiro

September 30, 2009 at 5:33 pm | Reply
  6. Joao D'Alessandro

Hi Ken
    I disagree...
    The Olympics should be earned... not given. South America has a lot to improve on. I live down here and to be honest, no good would come out of it. I will explain. Corruption would eat most of the well needed money.
    There are a lot of things that should be done here first.
    What about an Olympic race to build more schools, hospitals and improve the quality of life of its citizens. Rio is a beautiful city with a lot of potencial to become a great Olympic host but not now. Not to make an illterate president famous. Not Bread and Circus no more. What people down here need is to be treated with respect from the elected officials. Look at what the CIA fact book has to say about Rio. Who would you believe? As much as it would make me proud to host the Olympic games in my country, right now I am ashamed as hell to have such a misery here. Most of the 180 millions of citizens here wouldn't benefit from it. If you ask around, they don't even know where and when the Olympics will be. So, I am in favor of cities where hospitals, transportation, safety, education are not an everyday problem. That should be a requirement to host such an event. Maybe it is not fair to say that but I will be very worried if Brazil wins... very!!!
    Google Rio around and see if you would like to come...

September 30, 2009 at 5:40 pm | Reply
  7. Erik

As someone who has lived for a few years in Chicago and is currently living in Rio De Janeiro, I say give Rio a whirl. The cariocas are pretty excited about it, plus it's a great place to visit.

The only downside is that the Olympians will have their own private beach in Barra, so the best action will probably occur off the field.

September 30, 2009 at 5:44 pm | Reply
  8. Raul

In La Paz, Bolivia, at 3600 MTS above sea level...

September 30, 2009 at 5:46 pm | Reply
  9. Megamix

I Agree with South America, in Olympic History the Games have been held on every pennisula more than 2-3 times, But never in South America. SO I agree with Ken L. South America should be given a chance to host the Olympics.

September 30, 2009 at 5:48 pm | Reply
  10. Carmen Luz

My choice would be Dallas or Houston, TX but obviously that is not an option.

My #1 Choice is Chicago
    Choice #2 Rio de Janeiro
    Choice #3 Madrid
    Choice #4 Tokyo

September 30, 2009 at 5:53 pm | Reply
  11. Ski

I am with Ray on this one. I think a better question would be why would any country like to host them. Athens built outstanding facilities for thier chance at the olympics, only for them to be left unused after the games left, and it seems that China has had a repeat of the same with birds nest.

Yeah I guess all eyes are on your city for a couple weeks but really after all that construction that dumped into a city to prepare it, what happens with all those facilities. No offense but I could think of allot better ways to waste money, for instance funding school programs. Maybe fixing the VA's problems. Is this really a top priority? Really?

September 30, 2009 at 5:57 pm | Reply
  12. Lucky

Tokyo!

September 30, 2009 at 6:01 pm | Reply
  13. Bob N

Laniel, Quebec, Canada. Wonderful place, lots of water and land, just needs a stadium. The Athletes can stay at Smith Bay Camp or Taggart Bay.

September 30, 2009 at 6:15 pm | Reply
  14. Ted P

I agree with Bob! Laniel is a beautiful spot with fantastic fishing!!

September 30, 2009 at 6:25 pm | Reply
  15. Erica

The cost for putting it on far out weighs any money a city might make. And it puts a bulls eye for crazies smack in the middle of it. Leave the US out of it please.

September 30, 2009 at 6:37 pm | Reply
  16. jleong

the games are redundant.

we have the world championship competitions in track and field, the most recent being held in Rome a couple of months back.

then we have the world series ( mlb and classic).

basketball, football (soccer), you name it, have their own "world cup".

abolishing the games will help cut carbon footprints.

September 30, 2009 at 6:40 pm | Reply
  17. Amber

I think it's up to the host to build structures that would be functional after the games. I live near Mexico City, and they still use their facilities. Plus the country still uses some of its systems it put in place for pollution control (obviously highly necessary – imagine the city without those measures in place!). So I think the Olympics can do a lot of good for a city, but only if the planners plan well for the long-term.

With that in mind, I could see Rio doing a lot to clean up and get the city together. But I agree that corruption is a problem (no less than Mexico though!). I'm a fan of a new country getting a crack at it – rather than repeating the Olympics in the US again or in Spain. I don't know Japan's history with the games.

September 30, 2009 at 6:43 pm | Reply
  18. Meggan

I think we should all be hoping for Chicago since the Olympics will provide tens of thousands of much-needed jobs and millions in much-needed revenue to the United States. This is an economic boon we should all be rooting for.

September 30, 2009 at 6:49 pm | Reply
  19. Moacir

João D'Alessandro must be Argentinian or Portuguese, if that is the case I understand him, and I am sorry for him.
    If Brazil is chosen there will be more oportunities for Hospitals, Schools and many other "good things" that can come with. Brazil's government is ready to work and improove the city to host the Olympics in a high standard.

September 30, 2009 at 6:51 pm | Reply
  20. Expert

Cairo, Egypt

September 30, 2009 at 6:53 pm | Reply
  21. davi silva

I agree with Joao D'Alessandro
    I was born and raised here , Rio is not the right place for this at the moment. Too much corruption, crime and poverty.

September 30, 2009 at 6:57 pm | Reply
  22. Nalin B. Trivedi

Chicago is the best choice.

September 30, 2009 at 7:03 pm | Reply
  23. mourad

for a change !!!!

first choice madrid !!!!
    second: RIO !!!!

September 30, 2009 at 7:05 pm | Reply
  24. André

All of these cities are in too hot area's USA has had far more then its share number of olympics. Next century they are up again, possibly.
    Brazil is too much a mess. So best would be Tokyo while certainly capable and it is a harbour city with plenty sea around.

September 30, 2009 at 7:06 pm | Reply
  25. KingChuck

CHI-TOWN got it going on!

September 30, 2009 at 7:07 pm | Reply
  26. marc

GOO RIOOOOO

September 30, 2009 at 7:09 pm | Reply
  27. Jero

It's time for South America. Rio de Janeiro is a great stage for the Olympics and for the world to meet and reconnect with South America.

September 30, 2009 at 7:14 pm | Reply
  28. peter drake

With regard to countries which are host candidates and are economically developing countries, would they not be better served by attending to their immediate challenges of housing the poor, improving infrastrucure etc. instead of squandering scarce resources on Games that will primarily benefit the least disadvantaged of society within these respective countries. So Tokyo and Chicago seem to be both good choices.

September 30, 2009 at 7:15 pm | Reply
  29. bwana

The Olympics are always blown up as being a money maker for the area involved; normally this is (massively) false advertising with major funds invested with no return. In most cases it takes years to recover the losses.

Let South America incur the losses. Chicago does not deserve this abuse! Obama supporting this cause directly doesn't do him justice.

Also, I don't see much value to the Olympics. Why would any country want to host them? The USA definitely doesn't need further losses!

September 30, 2009 at 7:16 pm | Reply
  30. Sean

Ski, you're missing the point a bit. It's hardly a waste of money when there's millions to be made in advertising, construction, catering, and so on.

The Olympics are pretty much the opposite of a "waste" actually. It's going to generate tons of revenue and jobs.

September 30, 2009 at 7:16 pm | Reply
  31. AnjelusX

It should be held somewhere interesting for a change, like.... Death Valley or Greenland, make them really have to work through punishing conditions...

Seriously though, it doesn't matter, people will watch it, pay money to go to it, and it will leave buildings created for one purpose to lie around and collect dust, doesn't matter where the result is the same, if those buildings were restructured using the proceeds for the benefit of the city/community/people then I might actually care.

September 30, 2009 at 7:21 pm | Reply
  32. Kestas

RIO – it is the turn of South America!

September 30, 2009 at 7:25 pm | Reply
  33. jerry

I'm for Chicago!

September 30, 2009 at 7:32 pm | Reply
  34. Tim

Chicago

September 30, 2009 at 7:32 pm | Reply
  35. Shreekant

Not in USA considering the past record (esp Atlanta which was a disaster).

September 30, 2009 at 7:33 pm | Reply
  36. marty

I agree with Joao. In addition I'd add that as we don't have sewage treatment facilities, our beaches are unsafe to swim in unless you have built up a tolerance to the e colie. Imagine, Ipanema has 5 kilometers of beachs, often more than 50,000 on the beach and 5 bathrooms. Rio in 2020!!! Chicago, my hometown, in 2016!!!

September 30, 2009 at 7:38 pm | Reply
  37. Jose Fiorotto

Rio have more than good facilities, and have many people friendly to receive the games.... Another vantage are the beautiful natural environments. Brazil is growing and this is correct moment for south america.

September 30, 2009 at 7:40 pm | Reply
  38. Steph

South America's turn? You mean, it's not the merits of the individual cities that matter most? Politicians will talk of the Games being a financial windfall, but they virtually always cost more than they take in. Brazil has many other, more important priorities, such as education, health, pollution, crime, etc.. They're already spending millions on soccer stadiums for the World Cup. Rio's infrastructure is a joke. They admitted that they have insufficient hotel capacity for the Olympics, and say they'll dock cruise ships (presumably in polluted Guanabara Bay, in an unsafe port area) to accommodate visitors. Guess where the sewage frm the ships would go? Maybe the marathon would go through the favelas: record times, since no one would want to fall behind.

September 30, 2009 at 7:49 pm | Reply
  39. Kona Mona

Well it is out of my understanding that why such a huge amount is spent on for such sporting event (i mean Olympic Games). A rough estimated cost of Athens Olympic soared over USB 11.6 Billions (source AFP) excluding infrastructure that was built or improved especially Olympic and total cost estimated more than USD 15.Billions. Similarly, China spent 450 Billion Yuan (eqv. of USD 65Billions) the most expensive Olympics ever organized. The money spent is 5 times more than Athens (source: Beijin Olympic Games Origanizing Group. if we calculate that around USD 80 Billions have been spent over a period of 8 years which is a huge sum of tax payers money (no matter who give this either IOC or hosting governments), question is that how could possibly we spent such a large amount for only few day as there are hundred of millions of destitute people who suffer from life threatening diseases, hunger, poverty, illiteracy, homelessness and several other issues. I believe that if this time games are given to which ever city, the government of respective city will spent incredibly a lot in keeping view of how exceptionally Chinese have arranged the 2008 Olympic games. The Olympic to be held in London 2012 are estimated to cost 9 billion pound which is a very large sum money. All such expenses are out of my understanding when the world is supper greater destitution and poverty. I'm in the favor of Olympic and such healthy events must held but spending to much money like crazy, it's absolutely a QUESTION MARK.

September 30, 2009 at 7:49 pm | Reply
  40. Xi

Tokyo, then the rest are tied.

September 30, 2009 at 7:54 pm | Reply
  41. Keira

If I had my druthers I'd have them in NYC. Why not? We already have a football stadium across the river (Giants Stadium) that seats 80K+, we have a tennis center that holds the US Open, baseball fields (oops, neither baseball or softball are Olympic sports anymore ) and Madison Square Garden, the world's most famous arena. The rest can easily be built. We have plenty of smaller venues that can house the gymnastic competitions, fencing, etc.

Having said that, I'd give my vote to Chicago. Being the realist that I am, I say it's between Chicago & Rio, but I truly hope Chicago gets it!!

September 30, 2009 at 7:54 pm | Reply
  42. o

capetown south africa ... after the world cup next year why not give africa another chance, a change for once.

September 30, 2009 at 8:06 pm | Reply
  43. Mike S

I think it should be in NYC. New York is the center of the world, so the world games should be there next.

Plus its my city 🙂

September 30, 2009 at 8:13 pm | Reply
  44. Luis

Sweet home Chicago!!!!

It is my kind of town.

September 30, 2009 at 8:16 pm | Reply
  45. juandiegomcc

I am for Chicago, Illinois

September 30, 2009 at 8:18 pm | Reply
  46. russia

i vote for russia... screw you all!

September 30, 2009 at 8:26 pm | Reply
  47. Nephtaly

First choice, Madrid
    Second choice, Rio

September 30, 2009 at 8:29 pm | Reply
  48. Kasper

Must say Rio – it is about time that this event (because that is what it is – nothing more, nothing less) goes to South America. Give the Olympics 2016 to Rio – and make some demands at the same time – so that it will be an event that also servs the city, the population and the well.being in Rio. Then it will be a success

September 30, 2009 at 8:42 pm | Reply
  49. Lewent

Wish Turkey was in the list. Since it's not, my vote goes for USA, Chicago.

September 30, 2009 at 8:44 pm | Reply
  50. Bob

Kabul, Afghanistan

September 30, 2009 at 8:52 pm | Reply
  51. Will

Rio. The US has too many problems right now. Let's focus on fixing our house before we decide to add-on a deck. Would you rather show off a home with plumbing problems or a house where everything works?

September 30, 2009 at 8:52 pm | Reply
  52. DeJuan Williams

I live in Rio de Janeiro and I love Brazil. Having said that, The olympics should not be held here.
    1. Corruption is too widespread and the money will NOT benefit the 200 million people who live here.
    2. Brazil has a Terrible record for providing Basic Health, Wealth, Education and Saftey to its citizens.
    3. For crying out loud... June, July and August is WINTER in Brazil. No place for the SUMMER OLYMPICS!!!
    4. I attended the Pan Am games here in Rio and it RAINED every day!!
    Not the kind of weather that produces any WORLD RECORDS!!

September 30, 2009 at 8:54 pm | Reply
  53. Aguiceu

Madridd!!

September 30, 2009 at 8:55 pm | Reply
  54. Will

(adding on to my last post)

On top of that, Europe had the Olympics in 2004, Asia in 2008. Europe is getting them again in 2012 with London. Let's kick it back to the Western Hemisphere (20 years after Atlanta) to a continent that's never hosted it before.

September 30, 2009 at 8:57 pm | Reply
  55. James thompson

RIO shoud win without a shadow of a doubt. It is about time a South American city held the games. Rio and Brazil certainly have the potential and necessary features to present a great show!

September 30, 2009 at 9:00 pm | Reply
  56. wally

I believe the right should be giving to Madrid after all its efforts and emotions built around it to be given the right for the 2012.Madrid is the best spot afterall of the four

September 30, 2009 at 9:07 pm | Reply
  57. Christian

Rio already has the Soccer WM 2014.
    2012 the Olympics will be in London which means the next one shouldn't be a European country. That leaves Tokyo and Chicago. And personally I would prefer Tokyo. At least they don't treat any foreigner visiting the country as potential criminal/terrorist (taking fingerprints, etc.)

September 30, 2009 at 9:09 pm | Reply
  58. Pat Reilly Schairer

I'd love to have it in Chicago. Great for Chicago. Great for the USA.
    Great for the world. Chicago is a whole different slice of America.
    I didn't expect to, but I fell in love with it.

September 30, 2009 at 9:15 pm | Reply
  59. Johnzinho

Winter Olympics in Rio, Summer Olympics in Oslo.

September 30, 2009 at 9:16 pm | Reply
  60. American in Brazil

I agree with what about everyone said. They are all valid points. In favor of having the Olympics in Rio are the beautiful NATURAL setting, and that Latin America has not hosted the Olympics in a very long time. It would seem that it is due, especially with some aspects of development.

However, Rio is not ready. We have the expression of to not put the cart in front of the course, and having the Olympics there would be doing that. I think that Joao D'Alessandro stated much of the issue very clearly. Furthermore, the PanAm games should serve as an example. They were 4 times, 400%, !!!! over budget, the place looked like a war zone full of military to "protect" while some local police were involved in crimes.

You can be sure that in Brazil there are many eyes looking at how to get money from the Olympics, many legitimate, but many, many, many simply thinking of how to get a piece of that money by any means possible.

In Rio's bid for the 2004 Olympics the Olympic committee said that Rio had shown how the Olympics would be good for Rio, but not how Rio would be good for the Olympics. While they have done a better job of appealing to the Olympic Committee, there focus is still on how it would be good for them.

I think the Olympics could be very good for Rio in the short run, but some risks coming to fruition, could cause great embarassment to many other Brazilians.

And lastly, but not least, the record of Brazil with respect to international kidnapping is horrible. Basically Brazil rarely returns children kidnapped from other countries per the Hague Convention. There are about 60 such cases between Brazil and US citizens now. They treat these cases like custody cases rather than crimes. The most famous case now is of Shaun Goldman.

So with the lack of basic human rights, respect for international law, are additional reasons not to have the Olympics in Rio.

I hope one day Rio will be complete in a way to host the Olympics in the Future, but are far from ready now.

September 30, 2009 at 9:24 pm | Reply
  61. bwana

Meggan says "... millions in much-needed revenue to the United States".

Show me a city that didn't go massively in debt hosting the Olympics! And added infrastructure that they didn't need and didn't get much use out of after all the hoopla... but still had to maintain for additional mega $$$'s.

September 30, 2009 at 9:34 pm | Reply
  62. Allen

Lagos...where everything happens

September 30, 2009 at 9:44 pm | Reply
  63. Peter with two e’s, one t, an r and one P

I love the Olympics. It makes small countries like e.g. Denmark feel that we can beat the whole world… sadly it’s only sports like badminton, trampoline, handball and things like that we can win. But it’s nice to know that our local news canals always make such a big fuss about it, and makes it look like we just won something important.. usually it’s only our neighbor countries like Norway and Sweden who hears about it, and it’s just because they lose the battles;-) Sorry neighbors we love you, we really do!!
    Anyhow – why only hold the Olympic Games one time every fourth year? Why not throw the party every year? One of Rio’s arguments is that it will create a whole new infrastructure and give a lift to the whole city and area. If we start in Johannesburg and work our way up, we could have a whole continent with subways, busses, trains and everything in just 53 years. Think about it!?

September 30, 2009 at 9:46 pm | Reply
  64. virginia

Very well put, João D`Alessandro I couldn´t agree with you more. Brasil has got a lot of problems to be solved – and to hold Olympic Games is certainly not one of them. Corruption is killing us. Let´s vote for Madrid ....God bless.

September 30, 2009 at 9:48 pm | Reply
  65. Greg Manigault

Although I am an American would love to see the olympics in Chicago I think Rio should have the olympics in 2016. South America has never hosted the games, and Brazil is an emerging economic force in the region. It is long overdue for South America to host the games. North America has hosted 3 or 4 Winter or Summer Games since 1980.

September 30, 2009 at 9:52 pm | Reply
  66. MASRY

CAIRO , EGYPT!!!!!!

September 30, 2009 at 9:55 pm | Reply
  67. João D'Alessandro

Hi,
    just to make sure. I am born and raised in Brazil.
    Do I want Brazil to host such events as World Cup and Olympic games?
    Hell Yes!!!
    But I have to be honest and face reality. Maybe the problems I see that are more important right now for Brazil to face are not the same problems my friend Moacir said before. But I don't know him and have to respect his opinion. Maybe he is one of the less than 5% rich enough in Brazil to live surrounded with bodyguards, private jets and armored bullet proof vehicles in Rio. Or maybe he is just needing something to feel proud of like hosting an Olympic Games. Who knows. while there are fellow citizens without proper medical care. As long as the state of corruption plagues our politicians and the violence reigns our city I see no reason to host such an event. I would be very proud if there were no other problem in our plates right now. I am sorry Moacir... I love Brazil more than I think I should for what Brazil has given me. But, its what I can do for my country that should matter. Its a show for those who like to pat themselves on the back. I really hope to one day have such a privilege but if anyone loves Brazil as much as they think they do, they should go to a public hospital, or school or to the police and they would see a lot of places where this money could be more efficiently spent.
    Let the games begin... =]

September 30, 2009 at 9:59 pm | Reply
  68. Ricardo

Moacir
    What the problem with someone being from Argentina?
    I don't know but your comment on João's citizenship sounds a lot like prejudice to me. Well done! What a great way to show how well we are going to receive the athletes from Argentina.
    I am sorry if it offended our neighbors. Not all Brazilians are like that.
    Attaboy!

September 30, 2009 at 10:08 pm | Reply
  69. advaita

MADRID

September 30, 2009 at 10:09 pm | Reply
  70. advaita

Madrid, just see the airport there an you know they can do it!

September 30, 2009 at 10:11 pm | Reply
  71. antony

in Gaza.

September 30, 2009 at 10:15 pm | Reply
  72. Spartan

Olympic games should always take place at the country that gave birth to them.Greece.

September 30, 2009 at 10:16 pm | Reply
  73. lappie

stop moving around, all olympics should be held in greece. its not like wimbeldon is held in a different place every time....

September 30, 2009 at 10:22 pm | Reply
  74. Robert

Olympic games make city go bust. Bejing could handle it because they are communist. Any other city in democratic world.. sure recipe for disaster.

September 30, 2009 at 10:23 pm | Reply
  75. Matheus Faria

I'm brazilian ans due to this, I want Rio to host the Olympics. But Rio is not the best choice in Brazil. The city is not ready. In my opinion, brazilian cities like Sao Paulo or Recife would be a better choice. Although, as Rio is the brazilian candidate, I choose it.

September 30, 2009 at 10:26 pm | Reply
  76. Eduardo

Anyplace but Madrid. We cant pay the bill

September 30, 2009 at 10:30 pm | Reply
  77. Forrest

Madrid, Spain

There was a rally the other day in the street of Madrid with such great enthusiasm, the citizens are aching for an opportunity to host a big event. I think it would give a great chance for visitors to see what a wonderful city it is.

September 30, 2009 at 10:31 pm | Reply
  78. Marcelo

What people don't know is that Rio ALREADY had its "chance", with the Pan Am Games in 2007. Back then, the same argument of the Games' "legacy" was used, like somehow a two-week party will chance the destiny of an entire civilization.

Those games were 4 times over budget, many of the promised facilities were not built (Marina da Gloria, subway to Barra, etc.), and the facilities that were built do not conform to Olympic standards , so brand-new ones will have to be constructed all over again - at taxpayer expense, of course.

By the way, Rio still had over 2,500 murders this year alone, as well as a summertime dengue fever epidemic - yes folks: surprisingly, badminton, table tennis and shot put competitions were unable to put an end to poverty, crime, deficient education and health care...

Please don't believe the marketing and heartstring-tugging that "South America deserves it". It will not serve the people of Brazil, only the vanity of a selected few. Rio 2016 would be another opportunity for massive-scale corruption - a sport in which our country unfortunately is consistently a gold medalist.

The only people rooting for Rio 2016 should be people in Chicago, Tokyo and Madrid - so they can get rid of the huge Olympic white elephant.

September 30, 2009 at 10:35 pm | Reply
  79. Andrew

Jerusalem all the way.

September 30, 2009 at 10:43 pm | Reply
  80. Godwin

North Pacific SubTropical Gyre!!!

September 30, 2009 at 10:56 pm | Reply
  81. Ray

As a resident of Tokyo for 12 years now, I can tell you that August is very unpleasant – hot and humid (by the way, it's typhoon season as well). And the kids are out on summer vacation. A great time to take a trip out of Japan, which is what I think I would do...

Reflecting several of the comments here, I remember that after the Nagano winter games in 1998, the place pretty much shut down. Whatever jobs were created were fleeting at best. I visited Barcelona in the year following those games and wandered around the Olympic site...like something out of a Star Trek film, alien and empty.

An appropriate metaphor to the Olympics might be building a 110-story skyscraper in the heart of New York for the purpose of hosting one big meeting, and then abandoning it. Is that really the best use of money that we can think of?

Here's a sensible solution, I think: Since the Olympics originated in Greece, why not hold the event in Athens every 4 years? That way the facilities could be used regularly, and no other city has to waste money and space on a one-shot deal (and since Athens just put its infrastructure in place 5 years ago, this is a perfect time to make this logical change).

Anyone with me on this?

September 30, 2009 at 11:03 pm | Reply
  82. P. L. Robertson

McMurdo Sound

September 30, 2009 at 11:08 pm | Reply
  83. Pepe

MADRID!!! The 92 Olympics in Barcelona were the best ever.

September 30, 2009 at 11:17 pm | Reply
  84. David Mulberg

Chicago most corrupt

I vote fpr Rio as best place to visit

Give them a chance

also best place would be LA if Chicago gets it La would not be able to host 2020 games

September 30, 2009 at 11:20 pm | Reply
  85. Scott

Tokyo, hands down!! I have run the Tokyo Marathon three times and I can not tell you the incredible level of support and participation the citizens put forth—it is the world's best marathon. I think the people of Tokyo will and already have embraced 2016 with a full effort, visiting fans will not be disappointed. As for infrastructure, there will be no need to recreate Tokyo for this event, simply set aside a few resources (yes, the city is that big). Facilities, support, and a marked lack of corruption—how could it not be Tokyo.

September 30, 2009 at 11:23 pm | Reply
  86. Lucio

Chicago should get them

September 30, 2009 at 11:28 pm | Reply
  87. Carioca

I live in Rio, but I don't want olympics held here. I am worried about safety of athletes and tourists in this town of extreme violence and corrupt police force. Traffic is chaotic and littering is generalized even in noble touristic areas. Poverty dominates this city surrounded by beautiful nature and ever growing slums as well.

September 30, 2009 at 11:32 pm | Reply
  88. Lucio

Madrid, 3 olympic games in Europe , no WAY

September 30, 2009 at 11:33 pm | Reply
  89. K

I would have liked to have seen the Balto-Wash games like they tried a couple years ago. Baltimore-Washington has the public transport, would have the facilities.

If South America was not so messed up now I would have said that to be the first pick given it has never been there, but sadly it is too bogged down with way too many issues, and that is sad.

September 30, 2009 at 11:37 pm | Reply
  90. leigh

I live in Vancouver – it's a nightmare that I don't even wish upon Americans let alone a beautiful history-rich S.A. nation. No residents should endure the past 5 years that we have. Our city has been decimated, the IOC dicates the requirements and both our local and Provincial governments are running huge deficits that we are left with. If you live in a bidding city or surrounding area hope and pray you don't get it.
    The Olympic cash-cow is no longer a reality – do your research.
    Vancouver is forever ruined and our city is going to be overrun for a month with dithering tourists and broadcasters.

September 30, 2009 at 11:45 pm | Reply
  91. ale

seattle

September 30, 2009 at 11:49 pm | Reply
  92. amir khan

Rome-Italy

September 30, 2009 at 11:55 pm | Reply
  93. Joshua

Lived in Chicago, and living in Madrid.

The US has had it all too often.

I vote:

#1 – Madrid
    #2 – Tokyo
    #3 – Chicago
    #4 – Rio (friends say corruption and crime is way too rampant at this time.)

October 1, 2009 at 12:00 am | Reply
  94. Chris

As an American who resides in Tokyo and has visited all but one of the 4 cities in quesiton(Havnt been to Rio), I'd say Tokyo is the best spot. The people here are not too keen on the olympics, but the effort that has already been put into wooing the vote towards Tokyo by the government has been extensive.

In addition, its been more than 40 years since Japan has seen the summer Olympics(1964), where as Spain and the US have had appearances in the past 20 years.(Barcelona in 1992 and Atlanta in 1996)

While Rio seems as if it would be a good place to hold the olympics on the surface, Brazil has too many other problems that need tackling first. The crime rate and corruption rate for the continent of South America, as well as brazil in general is very high. Much too high for an international event of this magnitude to be held there in my opinion. Not to say it would be impossible, but I think its still a decade or so away from being able to safely hold the olympics.

Also, Christian, Japan not only fingerprints(both hands index fingers) all incoming foreigners, it also takes a photo of said individual, even if you have residency here. Its not a very foreigner friendly nation once you get past the shallow initial kindness.(which is all that is really needed for the olympics as its only a short term event.)

October 1, 2009 at 12:27 am | Reply
  95. Rod

Brazil is currently preparing for the Fifa World Cup 2014 and will be more than prepared to host the Olympic Games in 2016. Brazil is the full on expression of sport!

October 1, 2009 at 12:29 am | Reply
  96. Eric

I think there are a lot of underlying issues to look at when considering where an event like this should be held.

Firstly, who would be willing to put the most effort into creating an amazing spectacle and possibly bringing back/withstanding an epic Olympic sentiment. It would have to be held in a culture that would be extremely *proud* to hold such an event, and has the resources/dedication to show the world what their country is capable of hosting.

Secondly, in our current economic situation it's important to look at which economies would, upon being stimulated financially on a national level, enhance the global economy even minutely through being put on the spotlight (tourism).

As I come from very near Chicago, am currently in Japan, and studied Spanish, I don't really have too much bias either way. I'd really like to put Chicago at #1; however, I feel that Tokyo would definitely make the Olympics a much larger spectacle than we could ever fathom. Go Tokyo!

Kona, it's not possible to tear money from the hands of the rich, might as well get some entertainment out of their massive bank funds.

October 1, 2009 at 12:30 am | Reply
  97. MJ parakeet

1 tokyo!!!
    2 rio de janeiro or chicago!!
    3 madrid!

October 1, 2009 at 12:35 am | Reply
  98. michael j. heavey

Cidade Maravillosa ( wonderful city): RIO DE JANEIRO

It is time to give a chance to South America, and Rio is the city, no doubt.

Brasil, regardless of its problems is a growing economy, and sooner o later will become a first world country.

Housing Olimpic games is part of the path to a modern country.

No US cities in the near future, give the chance to others.....

October 1, 2009 at 12:42 am | Reply
  99. Juan

If only we had portable Olympic mini-cities (so we could pack up after the Olympics, and carry to another location each Olympic year)- that would save a lot of money.
    For those of you who are under the false impression that hosting the Olympics in your country would kindle an economic boom by providing jobs, infrastructure, etc. sorry to say but it does not work that way in reality. It's true that it provides jobs, and causes the government to spend on roads, accommodation facilities and other infrastructure but where does the revenue come from?! The sales of Olympic tickets and other tourist services hardly generates enough revenue to cover the initial cost footed by the government. After the 2 weeks are over, the Olympic facilities (buildings, etc) just lie there to collect dust, adding insult to injury! Why then would we wish this potential source of loss on a country struggling to develop itself in the current state of the global economy??

If you'd ask me, I'd say let the Olympic torch to go to the country with the strongest balance sheet (or with the most amount of disposable income)- Olympic 2016 decision accountants needed!

October 1, 2009 at 12:47 am | Reply
  100. Tony Otis

Tokyo, Tokyo, 東京!!!!

October 1, 2009 at 12:47 am | Reply
  101. Law

I still remember the Beijing Olympic game last year, it is very impressing. I think we need to give chance to the new face. Let's choose Rio

October 1, 2009 at 12:51 am | Reply
  102. Megan

Actually Christian, as of....2007 I believe (for sure within the past 5 years anyway), Japan DOES take both fingerprints AND photos of all incoming foreigners. In addition, if you can't provide details about where you plan to stay, they have the right to hold you for questioning at the airport. Though I hate to say it in this blunt way, Japan is an extremely xenophobic society, it's just that most of it is under the surface. As a foreigner living in Japan I have first-hand experience of this. The Japanese are at LEAST as wary of foreigners as Americans, if not moreso, the only difference is that in Japan a police officer can tell you're foreign by looking at you. And 90% of the time he's right. That's just the reality.

Having said that, I would love to see either Tokyo or Chicago win it!

October 1, 2009 at 12:53 am | Reply
  103. Jean

DURBAN, South Africa!

October 1, 2009 at 12:54 am | Reply
  104. JW

i am studying in Rio right now. they have advertisements everywhere for the olympics, but no cariocas really talk about the olympics or anything. i too think that there is too much corruption in the city. the crime here is overwhelming. foreigners are constantly at risk of being mugged at knife and gun point, even by the children. a lot of policemen (not all) will find any reason to take your money too. first they need to take care of the crime and corruption. in the favelas there are kids around the age of 14 carrying around assualt weapons, and there are sometimes "wars" between the bope and gangs. i think safety is absolutely needed for any city wanting to host the olympics, due to all the visitors. all things aside, rio is a beautiful city, and Brasil is definitely up and coming in the internationally community. i just dont think, from my personal viewpoint, that they are quite ready to host the games. but definitely in the near future.

October 1, 2009 at 1:08 am | Reply
  105. David

CHICAGO!

October 1, 2009 at 1:13 am | Reply
  106. Steve

The Olympics bring international focus and pressure on a country, to present the best they can do on the world stage. The country can spend very little, or a lot, but they must spend it in a way that benefits the country in the end. To limit the commercialization of the Olympic games, I would choose the poorest candidate, but one that has the greatest incentives in improving the life of its citizenry. You can deduce the one I mean.

October 1, 2009 at 1:14 am | Reply
  107. Lucas

Pyongyan

October 1, 2009 at 1:27 am | Reply
  108. Tatiana

RIO DE JANEIRO!!!!!

October 1, 2009 at 1:29 am | Reply
  109. coffeejoe

Rio
    As an American living in Brazil, I think it could be the location that would do the most good for the most people. Chicago is a great town but Rio could finally wake up with World Cup then the Olympics.
    Corruption and Favelas are Brasilian facts of life these events may just help get rid of.
    Watch the wallet

October 1, 2009 at 1:49 am | Reply
  110. Ana Luisa

Rio!! It is about time that Latin America gets the olympics. The Panamerican games in Rio in 2007 were very succesful and safe. it is a great opportunity to help Rio improve. It also creates a lot of jobs and revenue (tourism, etc). And by the way, it is very warm in Rio in august even though it is technically "winter". I went to the beach almost everyday this July

October 1, 2009 at 1:50 am | Reply
  111. NO WAY USA

The Olympics should NOT be held in Chicago!

I'm a US Citizen and I'm also tired of having the Olympics in the United States. Japan seems like a much better choice.

We always win the most medals, we try to be humble, but with the crazy media coverage from NBC it always seems like people want to shout "we're # 1", when that is not always the case.

Chicago is a horrible venue for the Olympics and I couldn't even imagine it being held there.

My personal opinion is that, the Olympics shouldn't even be held in the country that won the most medals from the previous Olympics. That should be part of the rules when making the decision on where an Olympics should be held.

Tokyo seems like the best choice. Let's go to Japan!

Kino-watakusan nomisugita-ne?

October 1, 2009 at 2:04 am | Reply
  112. Julia

Madrid! Having visited three of the bidding cities I find Madrid the much interesting, alive and friendliest. The cariocas are gorgeous and also friendly, but the crime and corruption there is a turn down for me. And although I loved Chicaco, I find it cold, uninviting and crime riddled.
    I would love to see my city host the olympics, but I don't think that will ever happen, as I live in a small Caribbean island.

October 1, 2009 at 2:14 am | Reply
  113. Eduardo

Yes, in RIO, Brazil : The Future is Now!!!!

October 1, 2009 at 2:42 am | Reply
  114. meach

corrupt olymic officials freeloading with corrupt politicians to select countries for the olympics. Then a significant number of drug using athletes. Like Ray, I'm also very bored with it all. Put it back in Athens, Greece and revert back to the original handful of events (with clothes on, please!). Synchronised swimming might be fun for a few people, but it isn't olympic. I won't list the hundreds of other silly sports.

Athens! Without global commercialisation!

October 1, 2009 at 2:45 am | Reply
  115. Creighton

Christian–

Just FYI, Japan fingerprints every foreign national entering the country and their justice system is much harsher and stricter on foreigners than that of the US as well. I don't count that as a mark against the Tokyo bid or for the others (although I'd love to see Chicago get the Games), but please figure out if what you're saying has any basis in reality before spitting out an opinion. I guess this is the internet though...

October 1, 2009 at 2:52 am | Reply
  116. Hing

Oh dear!! Let's give USA a break, they are on every page of daily news. Haven't we had enough from the lot? It's time to hear it for Rio in 2016.

October 1, 2009 at 2:53 am | Reply
  117. Magar

Its Tokyo.

October 1, 2009 at 2:56 am | Reply
  118. Thorny

America has seen the Olympics enough times in the last 100 years. I think its time for other countties to give it a go. The olympics seems to be just doing its same rountine of a few countries. Personaly I think possibly:
    Tokyo
    South Africa
    New Zealand

October 1, 2009 at 3:01 am | Reply
  119. LEE DOYLE

DO AWAY WITH THE OLYMPICS ALTOGETHER. TOO EXPENSIVE AND HAVE OUTLASTED THEIR INTENDED PURPOSE. SO MUCH CORRUPTION IN THESE GAMES NOW.

October 1, 2009 at 3:01 am | Reply
  120. Tim Story

It should be in Dallas/Ft. Worth Texas. It is the 4rth largest metropolitan area in the US. It also holds the largest amount of corporate headquarters. Sponsers for the olympics will be way easier to get.

If its done in South America, Rio is the place. But, nowhere in South America is really any good for it.

Chicago is a gangland

Madrid and Tokyo are just fine

October 1, 2009 at 3:02 am | Reply
  121. Peter A

I would love to see the Olympics in Chicago.

October 1, 2009 at 3:04 am | Reply
  122. Ravi

Sydney

October 1, 2009 at 3:05 am | Reply
  123. aug

bendigo, in australia

October 1, 2009 at 3:09 am | Reply
  124. FSH

Rio de Janiero and or Madrid-- something different and entertaining at least. And in the future they can hold it in some exotic place we never hear much about, like in africa or uzbekistan or something... give some other country a shot OTHER THAN europe or america you know....

October 1, 2009 at 3:15 am | Reply
  125. Khalil Ghulmiyyah

Beirut, Lebanon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 1, 2009 at 3:19 am | Reply
  126. Sharu

Why have the Olympics in just one city anyway? If this truly is the global era, have a Global Olympics. Decentralization would cut down on costs, especially security and infrastructure, and if planned intelligently, there could be two straight weeks of literally around-the-clock sports. The Opening and Closing Ceremonies could be held simultaneously at different locations around the world and streamed live over the internet.

October 1, 2009 at 3:21 am | Reply
  127. bro wheng

new zealand

October 1, 2009 at 3:32 am | Reply
  128. Roxanna

I have to agree with some of the comments here about the costs associated with the olympics- seeing the beijing olympics and its wow- stunner of an opening ceremony, trying to out match that will take many a pretty penny, which can be used in helping those who need it, which is waht we ought to do at this point of our economy and also I happen to live in Dallas and although there is the cowboys stadium which is BIG and all that, there is too many problems up in here and not enough space to support an event of THAT magnitude – houston can be a better place. but to put it bluntly, after that chicago video of that kid that came out i wouldn't hold the games there.... lord knows the mega fight that could erupt.. i shudder to think about it.... so yeah... hold it in a cool place , like Rio or madrid and then in like Cairo, Africa, etc;

October 1, 2009 at 3:34 am | Reply
  129. Luis Moreno

Well Chicago just lost its chances with the murder of the teenager, and similar things happen everyday in Rio, so I have to say Madrid. Besides I think they have earned it since they have already gotten social priorities, like free healthcare, out of the way.

October 1, 2009 at 3:35 am | Reply
  130. Dirk

I lived in Rio and Chicago as well and I'll go with Chicago. Though South America has never hosted an Olympics, with Chicago in the picture I'll go with them. Not many bigger sports cities in the world and has a better international mixture of people. Great City to host a Olympics

October 1, 2009 at 3:40 am | Reply
  131. Victor

I live here in Tokyo. And, I could not think of a better place to host the Olympics than here in Tokyo. Tokyo is a beautiful modern city with all the amenities. And, it is a safe city with really nice people. The infrastructure is already in place here. Tokyo is more technologically advanced than any other city in the world!

October 1, 2009 at 3:44 am | Reply
  132. Carl

Spain had it recently and as did europe.
    Beijing had 2008 so that should rule Japan out plus the bid has little support back home.
    Rio??? are you kidding me South America is not ready for the Olympics and it may never be.

Give it to Chicago it's America's turn

October 1, 2009 at 3:44 am | Reply
  133. Ricardo

Everyone is talking about the fact that South American has never hosted the Olympics, well neither does South East Asia or Africa, so are we giving the games to countries just because they have never hosted them before?

And Mexico hosted the Olympics before and this country is part of Latin America, so it's not really that the region has never got them, we are just conviniently ignoring the most common term (Latin America) and using South America instead so we can say the region has never got them.

And most importantly Brazil will have the World Cup in 2014, which is as if not more important than the Olympics so there is no need to make decisiones based on pity

October 1, 2009 at 3:45 am | Reply
  134. Lux Ferre

Ray S: "Sorry to sound so negative" but you are probably not that into sports so your opinion is worthless. The Olympics is always awesome!

jleong: You want to cut carbon footprints, do it in your own life first; don't blame the world's greatest sporting event.

Expert & MASRY: Cairo, are you kidding us? Thousands of tourists in a country where militants try to kill tourists? That's really bright. Hosni Mubarak is a dictator ruling a fake democracy where non-Muslims have few rights.

Keira & Mike S: NYC is a crowded, polluted nightmare which only New Yorkers think is the centre of the world. It's actually the centre of the Thievery Corporation of America: Wall Street.

russia: Oh yeah, let's give the Olympics to another repressive nation. It was travesty enough to let evil China have the Olympics in the first place. Both Russia and China have enormous chunks of territory which have indigenous populations itching to free themselves from the control of White Russians and Han Chinese respectively. Both of these countries should not be allowed to host the Olympics until their usurping ways have been checked, i.e. the freedom of Dagestan and Tibet.

October 1, 2009 at 3:50 am | Reply
  135. Zach

Mogadishu

October 1, 2009 at 4:09 am | Reply
  136. Sam

Look, the US, in recent history, had LA and Atlanta. Putting one more games in the US would be too much. Period. The idea that Pierre de Coubertin had, when he re-instated the games, was for everybody to participate. 3 games in the US over a 25 years spam or so would be ridiculous. I love Obama but Rio should be next. And I disagree with some comments I read above: "the city needs to have a ready infrastruture to welcome the games". If it was so, then it would always be the same who get to organize. Organizing the game is a fantastic way to give a boost to countries who desperatly need it. Rio would be a spectacular place to have the game. The rio Bay has to be the most beautiful on earth. Organizing the games will contribute to cleaning Rio of some of its violence and drug lords.

October 1, 2009 at 4:16 am | Reply
  137. Charlie

Bwana says : "Show me a city that didn’t go massively in debt hosting the Olympics! And added infrastructure that they didn’t need and didn’t get much use out of after all the hoopla… but still had to maintain for additional mega $$$’s".

How about Sydney, Australia, host of the 2000 games? The facilities are used for practically every major sporting event in Eastern Australia and the city made a fortune with associated revenue. Please don't show your ignorance, the Olympics are a fantastic drawcard for any host city if it is managed properly.

Go Rio!

October 1, 2009 at 4:28 am | Reply
  138. Ruel

Rio – should be their turn this time. No summer olympics have been held in South America.

October 1, 2009 at 4:28 am | Reply
  139. Gogo

Tokyo! Tokyo! Tokyo!

October 1, 2009 at 4:55 am | Reply
  140. John

Let me ask you all this question. Why only the devloped countries get the oppertunity to organise the Games. why not a 3rd world country or a developing country

October 1, 2009 at 4:58 am | Reply
  141. S

Hey Manmeetsfire I live in Dallas and thougfh I relize they Olympics are presitgous I"m not sure Dallas is ready for them, theat being sai I got to vote for Rio then a different parts of the world the Middle East or Africa shold be given a chance

October 1, 2009 at 5:04 am | Reply
  142. IOC president

Madrid, no doubts.

October 1, 2009 at 5:13 am | Reply
  143. Accountant

I think tokyo will do just fine. It'l be great symbolism of humanity if games will be held in that tech city. it will emphasize the point that amidst the spur of robotics, nothing can match the skill, grace, talent and beauty of a human body. Go Tokyo 2016!

October 1, 2009 at 5:14 am | Reply
  144. John

You haven't been to Japan recently, Christian, have you? They also fingerprint foreigners, albeit in a more polite way.

October 1, 2009 at 5:30 am | Reply
  145. Jazeel

Well, it would be great for any country to host 2016 Olympics, should they meet the correct requirements at this era of crisies in all forms. Our hope and support is for the most appropriate choice on this coming Friday. Of course its a glorious event to take place at any given city. We support the best decision.

October 1, 2009 at 5:30 am | Reply
  146. AFP

Auckland, New Zealand

October 1, 2009 at 5:31 am | Reply
  147. Neeraj

Chicago! I have spent couple of years in Chicago and I think it is would be a very good host to the Olympics. The facilities are superior and above all summers in Chicago are more beautiful than any other city in States. So I vote for Chicago.

October 1, 2009 at 5:32 am | Reply
  148. AW

Speaking as a Chicago native who lives in Tokyo, I am throwing all of my support to Rio di Janeiro.

October 1, 2009 at 5:44 am | Reply
  149. Vinod

#1. Singapore
    #2. Australia.

October 1, 2009 at 5:50 am | Reply
  150. William W

I am in favour of Rio de Janero. It has never been held in South America and its a global event. I clearly do not want Chicago – too many times in America.

October 1, 2009 at 6:16 am | Reply
  151. Brian

Tokyo! The greatest city in the world!

October 1, 2009 at 6:25 am | Reply
  152. Blake the Snake

Gotta go with Chicago! What can be better than the greatest city in the world hosting the greatest athletes in the world.

October 1, 2009 at 6:42 am | Reply
  153. Lewis

They should come to Harare, Zimbabwe. Wonderful city, wonderful country and wonderful people.

October 1, 2009 at 6:44 am | Reply
  154. Erik

Tokyo- most of the facilities are built, it's compact, and there's no doubt it would be the most eco-friendly/technologically advanced Olympics given the four choices. The IOC might be cautious of Tokyo's lack of public support, but 1) public support would rise once the games are confirmed, 2) the IOC loved EVERYTHING else about the prospect of Tokyo. It's safe, compact, high-tech, excellent infrastructure... have you ever heard of a non-effecient Japanese thing (beyond their politics)?!

October 1, 2009 at 6:56 am | Reply
  155. Anna

Istanbul, Turkey!

October 1, 2009 at 7:07 am | Reply
  156. Ourania Katsikari

Athens – it was one of the most fun-filled, well organized and happy events. Athens is the home of the olympics and that is where they should return. A world fund should be put in place to assist with up keep of athletic venues.

Besides the millions of dollars being spent on this event by the various countries could be better spent on schools, hospitals etc.

If the Olympics had a home base then just the upkeep would be required.

October 1, 2009 at 7:37 am | Reply
  157. World traveler

Kasper September 30th, 2009 2042 GMT

With that attitude, you should be denied ANY goodwill type event. Everyone is focusing on the money and not the spirit. Yes inevitably money is involved and the deciding factor, but not what this is all about. ANYONE who thinks you can "make demands" while recieving a GIFT.......doesn't deserve ANYTHING that is meant to be GOODWILL.

October 1, 2009 at 7:41 am | Reply
  158. Alex

Definitely Tokyo 2016, it doesn't have the appeal of mr Obama and Oprah, but it would definitely be the best candidate for the best games. it will have the best infrastructure, top technology/ecology and the Japanese are renowned for their hospitality. also it will bring the games back to scale after the Beijing games that were characterised by a sea of co-ordinated people. all the ratings have put Tokyo consistently on the top of the list with its only problem the lack of enthusiasm from the citizens. but that always changes after the games are awarded to a city

i dont think the USA has anything to offer to the games at this point. we have seen the atlanta games 13 years ago and i doubt there is anything the rest of the planet needs to see from Chicago.

Madrid shouldn't follow another European capital on the roster and the Barcelona games were held recently enough.

Rio is just a fluke bid, with its crime rate and massive infrastructure problems it wont get the games though it would be the most culturaly fresh for the Olympic movement

October 1, 2009 at 7:56 am | Reply
  159. Derrick

SOUTH AFRICA!!!!!!

October 1, 2009 at 8:31 am | Reply
  160. Robert Gerrits

Latin America derserves the Olympics, and especially Brazil.
    It is the rising power in this region, without violencing human rights like China
    It must be exciting to see the Olympics there

October 1, 2009 at 8:31 am | Reply
  161. expresatecontigo

Madrid!

October 1, 2009 at 8:40 am | Reply
  162. Ryan

1. Rio
    2.Tokyo
    3. Madrid
    4. Chicago

I'm 32 years old. In my lifetime the US has already had 4 olympics (2 summer, 2 winter). They are the host way too often considering how many countries make up this earth. South America has never hosted a games, so I say give them a shot.

Oh, by the way, Christian is wrong. Japan certainly does "treat any foreigner visiting the country as potential criminal/terrorist (taking fingerprints, etc.)". I should know because I live there and have to get fingerprinted and photographed every time I come back from a trip.

October 1, 2009 at 9:00 am | Reply
  163. USA PANDA

From my 7 years in China (and viewing the effect of the BJ Olympics), I can tell you the Olympics is a good reason for me to avoid whatever city gets it for 2 years before and after. The Olympic Games = Needless/wasteful construction and overpriced hotels.

October 1, 2009 at 9:08 am | Reply
  164. ~L~

I think any of you that say Chicago have to be really not thinking with your heads or are just as corrupt as the rest of things are these days. Let another Country be the host and enjoy the honor, but if America is honored then give the pride to some place that can use the economy boost. Not some place that has been in the news for all kinds of crazy corrupt things, plus how wrong does it just look for a President to be trying to better his own backyard when he is suppose to care about so many more places. Places that are in more need. This is like a joke reading what you say here, almost like you had to have staff write because no one else cared to take the time or no one else would speak the truth. Also if you must put it in the state of Illinois, then what about down south where the farms are, or even near where the Governor has a home but never uses because he must be in the middle of the city, as if it is all of Illinois. What about that?

October 1, 2009 at 12:44 pm | Reply
  165. Priscilla

In my opinion, Rio de Janeiro would be a great choice to land the Olympics. It is about time to bring the games to the South America, after all, this event not only have the participation of athletes from all over the world but it should also should happens in different countries all over the wolrd. Moreover, it would be an opportunity to bring investments to the development of less priviledged comunities.

October 1, 2009 at 2:54 pm | Reply
  166. Angela

Rio de Janeiro is the best place for the Olympics, that is my choice, if it were to be in the U.S.A. Chicago is by far not the ideal place, try another state maybe New York or better yet Dallas, Texas.

October 1, 2009 at 4:52 pm | Reply
  167. Sarang

US, Spain and Japan have hosted the Olympics. So now it is time to think beyond these countries. I am sure Rio will host best games than Beijing.

October 1, 2009 at 5:14 pm | Reply
  168. henrique

i'm from brazil, and lived here my entire life!
    rio is not ready, and wont be ready by 2016!
    For most of you guys who dont know, the world cup of 2014 will be held here, and it wont be ready!!
    the politics only care about making money and stealing from the population!
    south america isn't ready!

October 1, 2009 at 6:44 pm | Reply
  169. Steve

I live in Brazil but don't think Rio is ready. Plus, more importantly, few people seem to remember that the Olympics are virtually always a drain on the resources of the host country, and Brazil has so many other pressing needs, including education, housing, health, sanitation and, critical to Rio, public safety. Politicians would love to have the games, to in part divert peoples' attention away from the many problems the politicians aren't solving. South America's turn? Isn't it supposed to be which city could do the best job? Rio is not that city.

October 1, 2009 at 7:22 pm | Reply
  170. henrique

impressed, i doubt that you actually care about the security of others, who does that its the government!!!not us!i repeat, if AFRICA can do a good world cup why Brazil cant?this disagreement of brazilians shows that the lack of good will among us (mainly in politics,education and sports) is the cause of all our corruption.

October 1, 2009 at 7:24 pm | Reply
  171. Per Bak

Hello from Copenhagen, Denmark
    We are hosting the IOC commitee here in Copenhagen, Denmark these days and welcome all the representatives from the 4 remarkable cities. The winner will be difficult to find, as each city has a splendid offer.
    Best of luck to you all, and come pay a visit to our beautiful city.

October 1, 2009 at 7:42 pm | Reply
  172. Michael

I agree. It is the the time of South America and Rio's bid should be the winner. Brazil has shown it has a solid economic base to back the bid. The world has changed, countries such as Brazil are playing an increasingly important role in the world and the Olympics need to reflect this new workd dynamics. Let the games start in Rio!

October 1, 2009 at 8:06 pm | Reply
  173. Brunno

Go RIO ! Go Brazil ! Go South america!!!

October 1, 2009 at 8:18 pm | Reply
  174. MARCUS

RRRRRRIIIIIIIIIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    BRAAZIIILLLLLLLLL

October 1, 2009 at 8:43 pm | Reply
  175. MARCOS

BRAZIL, RIO BEST FOR THE OLYMPICS

October 1, 2009 at 8:52 pm | Reply
  176. Fabiano

Rio de Janeiro!!!

October 1, 2009 at 9:00 pm | Reply
  177. Alex

It's important to understand that the Games are made – philosophically at least – to embrace people from all over the world. Yes, I know, there's a lot of commercial interest in it, but take a better look at the recent past to see that the Games (Summer) are highly concentrated in developed countries: North America (6 times) and Europe (18 times). If we consider how many times the Games had crossed the Equator line the situation gets worse: only twice – and in a developed country: Australia (Melbourne 1956 and Sydney 2000).

Get real: if there's a real chance to grow the Olympic Spirit IOC must choose a new destiny to it: as it was demonstrated in China (2008) and South Korea (1988). It's time to believe in a country that has a lot of problems to solve, but have had a huge jump over a lot of them in less than 10 years and must be one of the near-future leaders: Brazil.

Brazil must be recognized as a equal partner and no more with the prejudicial downlooking as before. Rio is its best expression in Culture, Nature, People and Attitude. If any other city be chosen, 2016 will be just another Games to these Countries. But for Brazil is a chance to make it better – and different – for its citizens and for the rest of the world.

Believe in it. Games in Rio will surprise positively the entire world.

From a swedish living in Rio since 1996.

October 1, 2009 at 9:01 pm | Reply