Tune in at 16:00 London, 19:00 UAE

Does swine flu threat outweigh vaccine fears?

October 8th, 2009

A large-scale immunization program against swine flu has started in the United States with the vaccination of 68,000 New Yorkers while a similar campaign will also get under way in Beijing this week.

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/10/08/art_marti_vaccine_cnn.jpg caption="Brandon Marti, 13, receives a dose of the intranasal vaccine for the novel H1N1 flu Tuesday."]

In both cities priority will be given to children, who are deemed to be most at risk of catching the H1N1 virus, which has already killed more than 4,000 people among the 340,000 known to have been infected, according to the World Health Organization.

For 13-year-old Brandon Marti, the intranasal vaccine felt "good," "cold" and "watery" at the Children's Hospital at Montefiore in the Bronx, New York, on Tuesday.

Marti, among the first to get vaccinated against the novel H1N1 influenza virus this week, said he would tell his friends and classmates that "the swine flu vaccine is good, and protects me from getting the swine flu."

New York has received a shipment of 68,000 doses of the FluMist variety vaccine. This form was made available before the injectable kind because it was ready first, said Thomas Skinner, spokesperson for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Officials of the National Institutes of Health say that in clinical trials they have seen no serious side effects and that study subjects who have been immunized have generated a good response.

But some doctors have questioned if the vaccination program is really necessary for a virus that has mainly caused just mild symptoms, while some patients had asked if the vaccine had been sufficiently tested for safety. So do you believe the threat of swine flu outweighs any concerns about the vaccine? And would you get your child vaccinated? Leave your comment below.

Filed under:  General
  1. kate Douma

No, I do not at feel good about this vaccine. I am not sure that it has been tested enough and when I hear the amount of Doctors and other medical staff who are not will to be vaccinated it does encourage me in anyway to have this done. I still feel we need more info and also are we sure that this is the correction vaccination for the Swine flu??? Still too many questions to be answered

October 8, 2009 at 3:15 pm | Reply
  2. Marc Leclerc

Although it is terrible that 4,000 people have died from the H1N1 virus, we should question the logic of hurrying into a vaccination scheme of this type. I'm European but live in the Southern Hemisphere, and it wasn't any flu-related mayhem here! Don't panic folks, forget about the vaccine and enjoy life.

October 8, 2009 at 3:32 pm | Reply
  3. Paul

Vaccines have saved millions of lives. Smallpox, polio and other viral diseases have virtually dissappeared. Still, many irrational people refuse to have their children vaccinated.

I have heard all sorts of new-age arguments about how vaccines interfere with the body's energy flow, or weaken the body's immune system. Aside from annecdotal stories, I've read no scientific evidence to support their claims.

This flu could easily mutate into something much more dangerous in the coming months.

As soon as a vaccine is available near where I live, my family and I will all be vaccinated.

October 8, 2009 at 3:49 pm | Reply
  4. TruthForHumanity

Many people are becoming aware that the flu vaccines are not as safe as promoted by the drug companies and mass media. The vaccines contain thimerosal (mercury) and squalene (an adjuvant to "turbocharge" the active ingredients). The problem is these ingredients are coming under more scrutiny as being the cause of horrendous health complications when injected into people. Search engine these two components and you'll find some interesting information. Take the time and effort to inform yourselves before you roll up you sleeve and get jabbed.

Some of you will counter by saying that the CDC website states the new flu vaccine does not contain thimerisol (mercury) or adjuvants,
    so we should accept that as the truth. Here, it would be worthwhile to look at the govt.'s track record on divulging the truth:

FACT: The CDC approved use of Gardasil, the HPV vaccine. Now, we read stories that young women, previously healthy and vibrant, are dying or being permanently disabled because of receiving Gardasil shots.

FACT: Christie Whitman, top EPA administrator, announced on Sept. 18, 2001 that the air was safe to breath
    in NYC. Now, thousands of 9/11 first responders are sick, dying, or already dead because of what caustic materials they breathed in.
    But the govt. said it was safe. Now, they're saying it's safe again. Trust them, or trust your instincts.

October 8, 2009 at 4:13 pm | Reply
  5. Mark

Paul wrote that the virus could easily mutate into something more dangerous in the coming months. If so, the vaccine will be useless against the new strain. Sorry to rain on your parade. Still to many questions...

October 8, 2009 at 4:16 pm | Reply
  6. Eduardo Negreiros

Should the threat of the disease represent more concerns than the vaccine I would be in a terrible situation with the fact that it's not available to everyone, at least not yet.

October 8, 2009 at 4:33 pm | Reply
  7. Owen

Paul
    You hit the nail on the head. You said the flu could mutate – if it does it renders the vaccine useless. and in 1976 more people died from vaccine than actual flu. Do more homework your family is at risk. Squalene base vaccine look for links to anthrax vaccine given to american soldiers.

October 8, 2009 at 4:35 pm | Reply
  8. Pat

No I don't. The H1N1 flu is a non-issue. Media hype has made this a mountain out of a mole hill. The normal, yearly flu is many times more lethal and people think nothing of not getting immunized. That H1N1 can mutate into something as lethal as the Spanish flu of the last century is a possibility. However, ANY flu can do that. Getting immunized for the current version of H1N1 would not protect anyone from the mutated version because it WOULDN'T be the same virus.

The current hysteria is as ludicrous as the anti-immunization hysteria that has somehow canceled out rational thought. The internet is a great resource of information. However, it is also a great tool for the unethical to manipulate the uneducated.

October 8, 2009 at 4:44 pm | Reply
  9. Helen

@ Paul,
    this is exactly the point. If the virus mutates, the whole vaccine is absolutely useless- you'll be as exposed as before. And you don't even know whether the body reacts to the vaccine in a negative way, maybe not until 10 years after you get your shot.
    That is something that worries me more than getting the (still harmless for most people) swine flu.
    It was such a rush to create this vaccine, I don't want to know what was overlooked under pressure of time.

October 8, 2009 at 5:30 pm | Reply
  10. Justin

The only beneficiaries in this saga are the pharmaceutical companies and the media whores on their payroll. Why no mad rush to develop vaccines for more fatal diseases such as Malaria? Because their is no profit to be made from curing a poor person.

October 8, 2009 at 5:34 pm | Reply
  11. Peter

The vaccine is a hastely prepared variation on an older vaccine, and it has not been tested for even midterm effects. The older vaccine does contain squaline, a dangerous substance, so the new one most likely does too.
    There is no rationale for the massive campaign. Ask yourself who would aske for it if there hadn't been the hyped idea of the swine flu being dangerous ? It is not, and likely this campaign will do more harm than good, in several ways.
    It is irresponsable to just give yourself or your children a shot, without knowing what is in it and what it will do. Do your homework!

October 8, 2009 at 5:44 pm | Reply
  12. Bill Green

Threat of H1N1 is as real as it gets, but I think it is not ludicrous to be wary of a vaccination at this point. Sure, there have been scores dead and many times that infected across the globe, but comparisons to the plague are ridiculous.

If you want to get your family vaccinated, you have every right and are being more than safe about this issue. But I would have you remember that there is a high risk of becoming infected anyway with a mutable infection such as this. There are no guarantees. The vaccination is meant as a stopper to ONE strain of infection, the most common flu across the world. But as statistics show, flu vaccine is almost always two years late. I know this vaccine has been rushed through production to meet demand, but it cannot and should not be considered foolproof. I will not be getting vaccinated, even though I have prior conditions that would warrant it, and it is available at my university.

Why? Why would I put myself at risk of getting infected FROM this vaccine? Even in this mild dosage? I can't afford it at school. All I can do is try to be healthy: vitamins, washing my hands, healthy contact with others.

October 8, 2009 at 5:45 pm | Reply
  13. Herbys

I live in the southern hemisphere, and contrary to what others have claimed, disruption caused by Swine Flu here was significant. Shopping malls and restaurants were basically empty, cinemas and other such entertainment places were closed for the whole winter. Some might say that is a good thing, that outdoors life can't be a bad thing, but given that this was durign the winter, not having ANY opportunity of an indoors activity for about three months caused significant harm, even not counting those that actually got sick (and those who died).
    I don't know if the vaccine is actually well tested and safe, but if it is it is definitely a good idea to get it.

October 8, 2009 at 6:01 pm | Reply
  14. jon

don't get so worried its not that bad it mainly kills people with underlining conditions.

October 8, 2009 at 6:15 pm | Reply
  15. Istvan

Actually me and my family is going to pass this vaccine. The vaccine was rushed, wasn't tested as it's advertised. Although the conspiracy guys raised very good questions all over the planet. And when the people are intending to resist against the vaccine, some states or even some countries are intending to force people to get it or trying to sue people whose are even raising questions or have some question, because we're hurting the business of the manufacturers. This is all about business and the manufacturers, nor even the media, whose are assisting for this lie are don't even caring with our health at all. But it's our decision how we're living our lives and we're not going to be vaccinated. Period.

October 8, 2009 at 6:25 pm | Reply
  16. Christina

I agree with Kate regarding the R&D time-frame of this vaccine. Realistically speaking, we didn't even know this disease existed before March of this year, and by summer a vaccine was created.

Although there is no "medical" evidence, diseases mutate in the effort to fight off the vaccines we create. The vaccines for Small Pox and Polio were created after DECADES of studying the disease and finding the best way to combat it. This is why they work and these disease have virtually disappeared. However, remember that no disease will completely disappear.

In any event, your family will now be safe from the old disease but the mutated version will be more vicious and since you now have the disease in your body, you will be more susceptible to it. It's understandable that no one wants to get sick, nor die, from any disease. However, people die from diseases daily. The reason diseases are mutating so fast and hitting us so hard is because we have weakened immune systems since we don't give our bodies the chance to build up immunities.

Of the 4,000 casualties of this disease, many had preexisting conditions that weakened their immune system to the point where H1N1 was nearly impossible to fight off. To this point, the regular Flu strain is deadly because many of those who succumb to it have preexisting conditions such as respiratory issues, weak immune systems, and other health disparities. Inadequate care and lack of care also play a major role. If everyone had the luxury of "choosing" not to be vaccinated, and could be protected equally against this disease, then perhaps it wouldn't claim so many casualties

If your family is healthy, then your risk factor is low. Any choice is risky, but allowing researchers time to test this vaccine at least helps you ensure that you're not only protecting your family from the disease, but also the consequences of the vaccine.

October 8, 2009 at 6:37 pm | Reply
  17. Rashika El Ridi

I entirely agree with Justin

October 8, 2009 at 6:38 pm | Reply
  18. suzi

i think that the media only exaggerates this problem and are creating the panic among the people. I view this vaccine only as another business for pharmaceutical companies. Moreover,it could be even dangerous cuz this vaccine is not entirely safe. I have heard about people who got paralyzed after the vaccine against "ordinary" flu,so i dont wanna even think of the side effects of this new swine flu vaccine.

October 8, 2009 at 6:45 pm | Reply
  19. Moralis Harvey

I believe the vaccination outweighs the risk of swine flu. Although the symptoms are mild, bear in mind that people have died from it so it is a deadly disease. If it can be prevented, i would vaccinate my child.

October 8, 2009 at 6:56 pm | Reply
  20. Sergio

We aquired the Swine Flu from the pigs and now, with this vaccine the want to turn us into pigs, guienea pigs that is. Because we are being used to test this drug and we won't really know about the real side effects until a few years down the road, when it may be already too late.

October 8, 2009 at 8:07 pm | Reply
  21. Judy

This H1N1vaccine is being recommended for pregnant women. I have a 2 mo preg daughter and I'm highy discouraging her from getting it. The Dr said for her to, at least, get the regular seasonal one. She has never, before, taken a flu vaccine and really doesn't want to, but kind of afraid not to. I think it's risky to introduce any foreign substance to a developing fetus.

October 8, 2009 at 8:10 pm | Reply
  22. Danielle

Vitamin D3, i.e. sunlight: look it up. and look up how the lack of it highly correlates with every annual flu season and historic pandemic. I'm not a fan of taking supplements, but you can't get enough vitamin D3 from food. You need sun exposure or supplements for this one. And it's super cheap. D3 at Duane Reade was only 5 bucks for 100 capsules.

October 8, 2009 at 8:10 pm | Reply
  23. Rob

Bring it on. I've gotten the flu vaccine every year I can get one. The one year I missed (1992), I got the seasonal flu. No thanks. Yes, I got the 1976 swine flu vaccine. No adverse reaction. Ever. No, I don't work for a pharmaceutical or any related industry. Already got my seasonal for this year and am eagerly awaiting the H1N1. You do know that vaccines are developed differently now from 1976, right?

And no malaria vaccine because no profit in it? You're kidding right? There would be enormous profit in such a vaccine. The problem is two-fold: it's parasitic and it changes too rapidly (same reason we have no vaccine for the common cold; which would be HUGELY profitable...especially if it were annual like the seasonal flu...but I digress) and, second, the human immune response is complex and not yet fully understood. You can't make a vaccine if you don't know how to trigger the bodies responses correctly.

October 8, 2009 at 8:21 pm | Reply
  24. Doug

Unless I am a doctor why do you care what I or anyone else believes about the risks of swine flu? This is not a feeling issue!

October 8, 2009 at 8:30 pm | Reply
  25. Tanisa

This vaccine is fairly new and despite the fact that the tests showed few side effects, I beleive it's too soon to be sure about the long term effects of the vaccine. It came on the market too quickly.

October 8, 2009 at 9:04 pm | Reply
  26. Richard

Im currently suffering from Swine Flu in the U.K., the Swine Flu vaccination is rolling out from last week here too for young children then my age group (teens), even though Ive had Swine Flu im still having the vaccination no doubt about it, its essential.

October 8, 2009 at 9:10 pm | Reply
  27. Claes

Sweden is set to vaccinate the entire population starting Monday. Not all will take it of course, but polls show about 70% will, so it'll be some 6-7 million people getting the vaccine. Many hundreds of stations have been prepared with newly retired medical personel and dentists employed to pull it off. I'll get it, if nothing else so to irritate those who hear some rumors about side effects and go on like they have been let in on some big secret about how dangerous it really is to get the vaccine.

October 8, 2009 at 9:17 pm | Reply
  28. Terrence Deagle

Clinical Trials are carried out to ensure safety for the people receiving drugs and medicine (vaccine). According to the FDA , it takes from six to ten years to gain approval for a drug. However, since the WHO has deemed this H1N1 a code 5 emergency, under the National Emergency Act, these clinical trials can be by-passed and the government is no longer liable for any horrendous side effect that could happen.

So, to your answer your question, no, the swine flu does not outweigh the the risks of taking the vaccine and I would not want my child to take the vaccine under any circumstances. There's far too much government control into our lives these days.

October 8, 2009 at 9:32 pm | Reply
  29. Bill

I caught the swine flu in NZ. I was sick for three days and then nothing. Slightly more severe than ordinary flu, but hardly something to panic over.

Those above talking about people dying while they have underlying conditions are factually correct. Boost your immune system with plenty of garlic, fresh vegetables and enough meat etc and you will have a good chance of avoiding serious illness of any kind.

Those who have studied properly into vaccines and dont just listen to their countries respective health departments statistics know that vaccines generally dont work because they bypass the throat, which is where the bodies immune system is activated in normal infection. Many vaccine side-effects may be due to this phenomenon, as the body then encounters something directly in the bloodstream, when the immune system is inactive, causing it to attack incorrect cells. Ironically this first nasally administered vaccine may be somewhat effective. But only against this strain.

Did you know: When polio was 'cured', they changed the classification of several diseases, which previously listed millions of US cases as polio, to being listed as a meningitis strain? Simultaneous with the vaccine's release.

Research well if you like to judge others for not taking your choices of vaccination. And if you need scientific research on vaccines, check out pubmed. (online)

October 8, 2009 at 9:37 pm | Reply
  30. Mohammed

I have swine flu right now, and Im in Qatar. If this vaccine was available only 2 weeks ago, I would have taken it, and possibly would have not been infected. Nevertheless, swine flu is not that bad; just take your medicines and you will be fine.

October 8, 2009 at 9:38 pm | Reply
  31. Jay

Do the math. Only 1% of infected people die. But it is a convenient "weapon of mass distraction" away from the real problems we face...

October 8, 2009 at 9:53 pm | Reply
  32. Terry

Very strange sort of flu this one....Bird,Human and pig.
    Wonder how them three got mixed together?
    The companies and investors who are producing these vaccine stand to make Billions and dont forget , they have been granted immunity from any claims against any damages caused by this hurried vaccine.
    If i thought there was any danger from this flu, i`d take the jab but after a lot of research, i am worried for the people who will.

October 8, 2009 at 9:54 pm | Reply
  33. Terrry

Funny you should mention Christina that know body had heard of Swine flu since March 2009 becuase one Pharmacitical company had becuase the Patent the H1N1 one year ago. See Vaccine Patent Application US 2009/0060950 A1 . Which The company was involved in several controversies but a big one in 2009 mixing a lethal H5N1 avian flu virus was delivered to laboratories across Europe mixed with seasonal influenza vaccines... So ya.. i would say this just might be a money maker for them.

October 8, 2009 at 11:16 pm | Reply
  34. American

It is so sad that we cannot trust our own government when it comes to health protections. NO, I do not trust this vaccine or the honesty of the virus for that matter. This all seems to be part of some dirty scheme to make money or worse. CDC, FDA ... no longer hold trust. Only when medicine ceases being a FOR PROFIT industry will we have relief. So sad.

October 8, 2009 at 11:20 pm | Reply
  35. Tyler

You know, I'm only 13 years old. And even I realize that people blow this way out of proportion. The media ALWAYS needs a way to control the publics' thoughts and actions. If there was ever a day when nothing bad happened the media would kill themselves. They constantly look for ways to make the public live in fear because of all the things they say on the news, etc. It's so ridiculous. Why can't we live positive lives? I do realize that there are always going to be bad things happening and viruses spreading but c'mon! Why all the negative? It's just a flu. So it may be more deadly than others, but it's just like any other flu. You can die from a stomach flu or any oter flu so why is swine so exaggerated? Answer me that.

– Tyler of Chicago. Go Bears!

October 8, 2009 at 11:43 pm | Reply
  36. James from Australia

Noone has talked about the risk of vaccinations causing autism yet, especially if they contain the preservative called thimerosal which contains deadly Mercury. This debate is still raging.. I would caution you against giving it to small children...at least get educated before proceeding with vaccinations (of any type). .

October 9, 2009 at 12:16 am | Reply
  37. Colin

I have read some pretty grim reports about these vaccines and what they contain. My view on things are – if doctors and surgeons feel uncomfortable about taking the vaccination, then I am for sure.

For anyone contemplating accepting the vaccine, I would strongly recommend you do some research into the 1976 swine flu case where 40million Americans were given vaccinations. A lot of these people inherited a brain disorder called Guillain-Barre Syndrome (GBS) and died a horrible death from it. The main points were:

-More people died from the vaccination than from swine flu.
    -500 cases of GBS were detected.
    -The vaccine may have increased the risk of contracting GBS by eight times.
    -The vaccine was withdrawn after just ten weeks when the link with GBS became clear.
    -The US Government was forced to pay out millions of dollars to those affected.

I will certainly not be accepting any vaccination that may threaten my life, to line the pockets of the pharmaceuticals... I'm with Justin!

October 9, 2009 at 12:37 am | Reply
  38. Chris H

If it is not mandatory – I am not taking it. Not even for my children. We will continue to practice proper flu etiquette, Eat wholesome meals, stay away from the mucus building foods – like milk and cheese, take our vitamins etc. I don't trust that...............

October 9, 2009 at 12:47 am | Reply
  39. Cherry Bombay

The way people die from the vaccine is first your hands and feet are paralized, then it works its wa to your lungs.

do some research, people!

pre existing conditions? like drug interactions. legal drugs.

after the vaccines, the governments want to permantly rfid chip everyone that's had one. without, one, you would not be able to go in public,for one thing.

i'd rather kill myself, than die a painful death, with no dignity. how do you wipe your ass when your hands are paralized?

October 9, 2009 at 12:50 am | Reply
  40. Elizabeth

Well, I'm a nurse in the southeastern part of the US.....we've been hit hard not once, but twice by the H1N1 virus. I had it last month with a fever of 104.5, but other than bad chills and weakness....not too much different from the "regular flu". However, I notice that most of the people who say they're not going to get the H1N1 vaccine are educated, mostly medical people! I've been on the fence, but "supposedly" I'm now immune to it. That is until it mutates.....I feel most sorry for the schoolkids and teachers – they are suffering badly around here. From what I've seen, it would have been a good idea to just close schools until after Christmas. Perhaps homeschool or some other option? As for the CDC and our gov't.....they did a great job of scaring the daylights out of parents and children....but as of this date, still haven't gotten the H1N1 or Regular flu vaccines for kids out yet! Why bother now?! Most of them have had it......Ask the Pediatricians! Bad, bad planning. Too much rushing on this experimental vaccine. Despite the fact that my great-Aunt Martha died from the 1918 Spanish flu at only 17....... I think I'll pass on this one.

October 9, 2009 at 12:53 am | Reply
  41. Ken

Not quite sure which way to go as of yet. However, most of you have made good points. Vaccines have prevented thousands, maybe millions from devasting diseases. I beleive we all have to make our own decision and quit listening to everyone else, especially the manufacturers of the vaccine. Talk to your doctors, investigate other vaccines on the internet, and weigh your findings. As for me, I'm a little leary of anything that hasn't been properly tested. However, if this was a vaccine against AIDS, most of you would rush to get the vaccine. You see, it is the scare of the disease that scares us into taking the vaccine. Are you ready to risk your future because of the swine flu threat. I can't help but think about the movie, I AM LEGEND. HA!

October 9, 2009 at 2:10 am | Reply
  42. Tommy Frank

After reading all over the context, I do agree that this vaccine is not good enough to protect us. The trial is not effective yet. WHO didn't approve it yet for safety.

October 9, 2009 at 2:15 am | Reply
  43. Lizzie

The flu vaccine is very different from something like a polio vaccine. You get a polio vaccine once and you should have a lengthy if not life long immunity from the disease.

Every flu season companies manufacture a flu vaccine and every year it is different. It is made up of the top three or so strains that are causing the flu in other parts of the world in their flu season just passed. In that light, this flu vaccine hasn't been rushed through all that much more quickly than in any other year as far as I can tell.

The flu mutates fairly rapidly and no flu vaccine can offer full protection from getting the flu in the coming season. But since this particular strain does effect a younger demographic of people and has hit rather hard, I don't see any problem with more people getting the jab. It's personal choice really, nothing else and not worth all this fear-mongering over.

October 9, 2009 at 2:30 am | Reply
  44. Pedro

Vaccines for the normal flu is something that is routinely produced and handled and the swine flu vaccine shouldn´t that much different so i don´t understand the fuss about its safety. On the other hand, even though there were some deaths, the severity of the virus was really mild. All the closing of schools, malls, cines, etc were a precaution taken in a time that we really didn´t knew how much harm the virus could do. So, i think that it is also too much of an exageration of the need to vaccine everybody.... unless, we haven´t been told something about the virus or that this production/vaccination is really a world wide test of how to produce and vaccine a large population for any eventual appeareance of a more severe and contagious disease.

October 9, 2009 at 2:33 am | Reply
  45. Jack Virio

The fact that only 4,000 people have died from Swine Flu should be absolutely no cause for concerns, granted those who have lost loved ones are in my prayers. The average flu season will kill about 40,000 a year, and with local health agencies overwhelmed by their caseload they are only sub typing the flu to A, B, or C. From each of those you go into H/N factors ranging from 1 on H to 9 on the N. Without the definitive ability to say whether or not something is actual swine flu or not the CDC and WHO can't do their jobs, which are only hindered by all the media attention

October 9, 2009 at 3:16 am | Reply
  46. Chris

I am just curious when everyone commenting, including the media, became doctors? It is in no one's interest to create a dangerous vaccine. And, most doctors at major hospitals think people should get this vaccine. This vaccine is very similar to the regular flu vaccine. There is no extra technology, they just sped the process up. I am going to follow what the medical community thinks, as they are the ones trained to process this information. I am going to get it as soon as I can.

October 9, 2009 at 3:37 am | Reply
  47. Peter Wilhelmsson

Danielle is right. 5000 iu s a day of D3 gives much better protection, withóut the risks involved with vaccines. D3 was already studied in 1949 to give excellent protection against flu (Young GA. "Proc Soc Exp Biol Med" 1949 dec:72(3)695-697.) Learn from history : The 1976 mass vaccination of 40 million was a disaster leaving over 30 dead form vaccine and 500 paralyzed and lawsuites that promted the government to stop the program. Resist the propaganda from big pharma and government. They do not want you to know that your best protection is healthy lifestyle and added vitamins and probiotics. Do you really want a toxic coctail of mercury, aluminum and preservatives injected into your bloodstream? Finding a vaccine for every disease is taking our eyes off the ball of the real issues of supplying people with clean water, sanitation, healty foods and real wonderdrugs such as vitamin D3.

October 9, 2009 at 7:53 am | Reply
  48. consumedspirit

get her/him vaccinated (duh)
    Just don't overdo the vaccination...and erm
    i THINK you ask the wrong person...ask a doctor/expert in VACCINES maybe???? =S

October 12, 2009 at 12:50 am | Reply
  49. Lee

Give me a break. The H1N1 vaccine took the same amount of time to be made as the seasonal flu does...it wasn't rushed any faster it's just a different strain...just like every year there is a slightly different strain. If H1N1 completely mutates the vaccine would be ineffective; however a lot of the time there are minor mutations (which could make the disease more virulent/dangerous) and those that had the vaccine would still be protected.

October 14, 2009 at 1:52 am | Reply
  50. William

This is a tricky one. My wife is a nurse in Sweden and they want her to do it. And we have 4 children the oldest being 5. However true it may be that there are ‘harmful’ agents in the vaccine. Use your brain and be very careful about what you read online. There is a massive conspiracy against this vaccine and some extremely paranoid people out here. My concern is that roughly 50% of health workers in the UK do not want to be jabbed. However high risk people like pregnant women would be insane not to get this shot. Ask a doctor you trust what he/she thinks and do not believe idiots like Alex Jones. She will probably get the shot and we will hope and pray our children do not catch it. The WHO website is a good place to learn and if you are over 50 you do not need to do this unless you have some of the risks listed by WHO.

October 14, 2009 at 11:06 am | Reply
  51. L Cook

Regarding flu outbreaks, the only thing that has increased alarmingly this year is the amount of fear generated by the media regarding the flu. 40,000 to 70,000 people die each year in the US alone from typical strains of flu.

October 27, 2009 at 7:37 pm | Reply
  52. Allison Willie

Okay, so I could use some feedback on this whole issue. I am absolutely terrified to vaccinate myself or my two children with some of the side effects I've heard of from this H1N1 vaccine and the fact that there is no knowledge of what the long term effects could be. The regular flu, yes, we all got it, but this? I see kids dying on television every day now. It makes me cry, but is this a reason to rush out and get the vaccine? There has been a rise in hospitals as far as patients go, but I have to wonder with everyone so scared of catching the crap if anyone that gets a sniffle isn't rushing off to the ER. That's where the hysteria comes in. If it was a mandatory vaccine like the MMR and such that kids are required to have before they can even enroll in elementary school I may feel different. But those types of vaccines I remember receiving as a child as well. But I can't help but see these young children on tv and imagine if that was mine. I already lost my husband a few years back, the thought of something happening to one of our children brings me to tears. So what does a good parent do? I don't know. The doctor has told me who the vaccine is recommended for but didn't specifically say whether it was something we should do or not. My instincts say no, I don't trust this new vaccine but if it was me with a dying child I would die from the guilt of not getting it. What is the right choice?

October 28, 2009 at 4:04 am | Reply