Tune in at 16:00 London, 19:00 UAE

Do you look forward to your 100th birthday?

October 20th, 2009

LONDON, England - About half of the babies born in Western countries today will live until they are 100 years old, experts believe, but the challenge is to ensure they remain active throughout their old age.

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/10/20/art.ruth.afp.gi.jpg caption="The challenge is to ensure old people stay as fit as Brisbane centenarian Ruth Frith, seen competing at shot put during World Masters Games in Sydney this month."]

While most of us will live longer than our parents and grandparents, the aging population means that in the coming decades many more people will suffer from age-related conditions such as osteoarthritis, heart disease and chronic back pain. Obesity and increased physical activity also put more pressure on our joints, causing them to wear out faster.

We can’t turn the clock back of course, so scientists at Leeds University in northern England are spending more than $82 million over five years on a project that hopes to improve the quality of life for older people.

The scientists envisage that many of the body parts that flounder with age could be upgraded using own-grown tissues and more durable implants. This will mean artificial hips, knees and heart valves, for example, lasting far longer than the current 20-year typical lifespan.

“Our work is driven by the concept of 50 more years after 50 – that is, making our second 50 years of life as healthy, comfortable and active as our first, so we can enjoy a higher quality of life,” explains Professor John Fisher, who is an expert in artificial joints and tissue regeneration.

“We now have the technology available to do astonishing things, such as repairing the body by growing healthy new tissue through biological scaffolds and stem cell therapy. And a new generation of prosthetic hip and knee joints that last longer will avoid the need for further replacements."

Fisher says the center also hopes to gain a better understanding of degenerative diseases to allow for early diagnosis, rather than having to treat someone when they are already in crippling pain. “For example, we’re developing biosensor tools that can detect the presence of antibodies and proteins in the blood. All of these technologies will ultimately reduce suffering in patients through more timely interventions, shorter hospital stays and quicker recovery times.”

So how do you feel about this. Are you looking forward to your old age? Do you believe you will remain active? Send us your comments and we will try to use as many as possible in tonight’s show.

Posted by
Filed under:  General
  1. Nozar

Absolutely not. Why should I want to live beyond 100, or even 65? Enough seen of BBC's weather forecast, CNN'd News, and gone to Starbucks and shopped at M&S. What's new? The whole thing is the same. Everyday is just another repeat of another yesterday. All is variations on the same theme. I do not say this because I am pessimistic or tired of life, but that I have seen it, and that I absolutely do not expect a different day from yesterday, 20 or thirty years from now. I am 56.

October 20, 2009 at 12:54 pm | Reply
  2. Nicola

I think that for longer lives to be happy and fulfilling we need to think about restructuring our early lives not just in terms of health but in how we approach work and careers. I think if people could work fewer hours in ther youth, they would avoid mid-life burn-out, be more creative in their personal lives and perhaps achieve a sustainable work-life balance to take them through a longer life. I think if people want to work later into their lives they should be able to, but maybe part-time. I also think that the able elderly are a vast untapped source for volunteer work with children. Why not make it easier for retireees to come into schools and listen to little ones reading for example? There are some small attempts at this sort of thing going on, but I feel this is an area which could be expanded greatly for the benefit of all.

October 20, 2009 at 1:02 pm | Reply
  3. pablo

My goal is to live to 100. At the very least! I'm a runner and the only way I'll ever be able to place in the top three in my age group is to out live the other old geezers! So yes, I plan on living at least to 100. I exercise regularly and try to eat well.

October 20, 2009 at 1:14 pm | Reply
  4. Katie Malone

Frankly, I'd love to live forever.

October 20, 2009 at 1:24 pm | Reply
  5. Sylvia Al-Tamimi

I believe that every day is an opportunity to grow and learn. I love life with all its opportunities and challenges, and most definately look forward to living to be 100. In order for this to come to pass, however, it is crucial that I continue to believe that my life has worth, that I am important and that I can still contribute to someone else's life -even if I am 100 years old!

October 20, 2009 at 1:26 pm | Reply
  6. Someone

@Nozar: sorry dude that your life sucks,but you make it that way.No offense but there are many things you can do or see so you won't repeat those "yesterdays"

Tho i dont agree with Nozar,i really don't wanna live 100 yrs. Once you get to grow old enugh your health doesn't look so good. So what the point of struggling to get 100 with all those disease that can make you feel miserable?

October 20, 2009 at 1:36 pm | Reply
  7. Louise

I would love to live to be 100. There are so many things to learn in this world and new innovations appearing on the scene every day. Fortunately, older people will need to work, since younger people won't be numerous enough to support them. Thus, they will no longer be forced to remain isolated and inactive in homes across the world. Hopefully, as I grow older (I'm 65 currently.), there will be enough progress in the tissue degeneration, stem-cell regrowth, and pain control areas to help me enjoy my life to a greater extent. Observing the progress having been made over the past 10 years, I don't have any reason to believe that life beyond my 70 years will be very pleasant!

October 20, 2009 at 1:37 pm | Reply
  8. geo35

I agree with Nozar (I'm 62). Once past 55 or 60, it's pretty much 'Groundhog Day' over and over again, and on ever-weakening knees and with poorer eyesight, etc. If 'Science' can come up with some way to keep you physically fit into old age, great. But so far I'm not experiencing that and I've taken exquisitely good care of myself (22 years an organic vegan without any kind of junk in my system, and working from home at a creative job I love.) In time, the body just plain wears out.

October 20, 2009 at 1:48 pm | Reply
  9. John Elkass

Life and death are intertwined and are here for a purpose. We are born to die and we die because we're born. Thinking of this lets me ask myself this question: why are we born to die? Is there a purpose for this formula? Why are human beings not immortal? Why do we age and then die? While there's no tangible proof as yet, I surmise that we are born to die in order to fulfill a higher purpose. This purpose is what God promises – Paradise. So, if this is the case, why should we expand our life span if we strive for the higher motive which is Paradise? I am not a believer in the big bang! I believe in genesis and the creation through God. God had wanted us to be born and to die in order to test us for heaven. This transient life is created for this unique purpose. So, whether I live to be 65 or 105, the end result is the same: go to heaven or not. Consequently, isn't more feasible using whatever years we have before dying to achieve the higher motive? I certainly do think so. King David in his writing considered life like the wind; it goes with a blow. Nothing he said is worth it although he himself was the king and had all the wealth to have incessant fun. Yet, he pondered his life and came up with the conclusion that life is nothing without a motive. We came to this world naked and we leave it in the same way: Naked.

I challenge each and everyone to give me a better reason for life and death!!

October 20, 2009 at 1:53 pm | Reply
  10. joe

life won't change much after 50 so what's the point.. ?.. I certainly don't want to live past 60... that's enough for anyone.. just to the point where the body starts breaking down.. then some good drugs to keep you free f pain and boom.. end of life..

October 20, 2009 at 1:58 pm | Reply
  11. premnath alva

we should think of having a world peace corps to use the skills and
    knowledge of the golden oldies to help developing nations

October 20, 2009 at 2:06 pm | Reply
  12. Trisha Barton

I don't think I look forward to being 100. I am in mid 60s now. Treatment of seniors by teens, 20 and 30 year olds is not a wonderful experience. Even if their parents may have taught them otherwise. Medical systems in varying nations appears to slow down on health improvments as you get older. The mentality where I live is you're not old enough to repair this or your too old to reapir this. I have experienced it first hand. The system to support the 60-100 year olds needs to improve greatly. How people live their lives when they are younger definitley needs to adapt so that they will be ready to be older. Society's attitudes toward the elderly – whether they are fit or not fit – needs to see the elderly as a resource for many things not the least of which is life changes.

October 20, 2009 at 2:10 pm | Reply
  13. PRMOO

Living my 100 years in this world.. is my goal, so I put my trust in God, I take one day at a time, I eat good food, I eat fruits and drink much water every day. I take my regular physical exercise, I take my rest.
    I also see my Doctor for my medical appointment.... as when due. I am happy with my life, my family and I am also a woman of peace with all the members of my family and all the people and things around me on a daily living fulfilling the real life from God
    By God's grace I believe stronly that I will live my 100 years with my good health and remain active for the rest of my life, for life is good and old age is good.
    Thanks and have a great day.

October 20, 2009 at 2:18 pm | Reply
  14. Jonathan Kine

I hope I can live to 200 years old cause only the good die young.

October 20, 2009 at 2:20 pm | Reply
  15. sam sam

There is noting wrong in longer life. Say over 100 years. The most important is our state of health at anytime. The life has no meaning any more when you need to be fed and take to barth room daily. Moreso, the number of our years on earth does not really matter, the most important is what have we archeived? Can we left the World better than we met it? Do we left a good foot print for comming generation? How wil the world remembered you?
    Some people live for ever positively or negatively in the mind of people 100 years after their life span,. What will be your own potion?

October 20, 2009 at 2:21 pm | Reply
  16. Andreas

"I challenge each and everyone to give me a better reason for life and death!!"

Your reasoning is circular. You say we must die because we are born to die. You say there is a "purpose". A fallacy.

I don't know if we can live "forever", but then again why not? Why must we die? We have conquered and defeated so much of our nature that clinical immortality seems like a natural next target.

October 20, 2009 at 2:39 pm | Reply
  17. Joe

Wow, Nozar, we make many pharma products that may help you. Get out in the world. I can tell you after the last 20 years of work, domestic and international travel, at the ripe old age of 41 there is no way I could take in all the wonders of the planet and its inhabitants by the age of 65. Get off your butt. Leave your television. Don't go to Starbucks. I hope your life gets better than you have described and my family and I get to live to 100 happily and comfortably.

October 20, 2009 at 2:42 pm | Reply
  18. Nghia Nguyen

For those who are pessimistic about their old age, most often because they feel they find nothing new in life, I am sympathetic. But let's not forget that that is only their personal feelings. The world has 8 billion people with different feelings and no one feeling can represent others. But what I know is that there exist people who really want to live to 100, or 1000, because their lives are happy, because they can do something that they feel meaningful to them everyday. And these people do sympathize with those that are pessimistic. I don't know how the pessimistic people look at those optimistic, because luckily, I am not one of those unfortunate. It is not easy, or even is impossible in some cases to change the pessimistic view of some people, because their present lives are the consequence of their past, and nothing can be changed about the past, nor do they want to live long enough to care to change their future.

To the aggressive Mr. John Elkass, your challenge to everyone to give a better reason to life and death than yours, is only meaningful if you can prove that there IS a reason to life and death. Only after proving that there is a reason to life and death can you talk about your opinion on what that reason is. Else, anything you say is meaningless.

So, I challenge Mr. John Elkass to prove that there is a reason to life and death that is common to all humans (we dont care about your personal belief of God, etc.) Just write something pertaining to logic that proves that there is a reason to life and death

October 20, 2009 at 2:48 pm | Reply
  19. Nick O

There are far too many people on this planet without a plague of centenarians.

October 20, 2009 at 2:50 pm | Reply
  20. fabius

I am 72 and live in Europe and supplement my meagre pension by working via the Internet. My father died at 94 in an accident and he was pretty active to the end. I never have enough time to do all the things I want so another 28 years will be very welcome. I love mountains, climbing, swimming, scuba, reading, travel, etc. Just make sure my hips and knees can take the strain and you never know what I might do.

[I also like Monica Belucci]

October 20, 2009 at 2:57 pm | Reply
  21. Celestino Goncalves

For sure I'm going to live more than a 100. I,m 65 now and very active and working hard, because that is a pleasure for me. I wake up every day with joy and "live with passion". I survived with great honor a quadruple by pass surgery at 58 and got a prostate cancer cured 2 years ago. I'm doig aerobics,playing soccer, tennis and doing spinning and love to be in a gym, since I was 15. No drink nor smoke. For me life is made of moments, good or bad.

Celestino

October 20, 2009 at 3:07 pm | Reply
  22. Pops

I'm 108 and I also like Monica Belucci. LOL.

October 20, 2009 at 3:14 pm | Reply
  23. Menachem

NOZAR: What a pathetic outlook on life. I hope to live to be WELL over 100 and I'll love every minute of it.

October 20, 2009 at 3:33 pm | Reply
  24. Dee Kinck

I am 77 now and have no plans nor wishes to see 100. Enough¨is enough. Life is tough and old age tougher. I'm ready to go any time even though realitive healthy.

October 20, 2009 at 3:34 pm | Reply
  25. Javier

Most definitely, my goal all along has been to go hiking on my one hundredth b-day, sounds like a simple goal, but it is incredibly complex as it requires me to be in excellent shape and of course, it forces me to also seek for ways to maintain my standard of living as I age (I'm 53).

October 20, 2009 at 3:38 pm | Reply
  26. doug

The really hard part about living to an old age (besides keeping your health) is watching friends die. Also, having to find a new doctor because the one you used retired is bothersome.

October 20, 2009 at 3:40 pm | Reply
  27. Peg in Atlanta

After watching my mother, mother-in-law, father-in-law and parents and grandparents of friends slowly degenerate through their late eighties and nineties, no, I would not want my life to end that way. I am not afraid of death and I'm not afraid of dying. I don't want to wear a diaper that needs to be changed. I don't want to be in a nursing home, however top-rate, where staff calls me "honey" and rolls me where I do not wish to go. I don't want to try to speak and be unable to be understand, to try to hear and be unable to, to try to read and be too blind to, and I don't want to start losing my mind and not be able to do a thing about it. No, nothing I have seen so far shows me any reason to wish to extend my life beyond its useful phase – what age that will be, I do not know.

October 20, 2009 at 3:43 pm | Reply
  28. David H. Stern

Here in Israel on people's birthdays we wish them "Ad meah ve-esreem" ([May you live] till 120.) So for my sixtieth birthday I gave myself a "Halfway There" party. That was fun.

At 64 I entered the "Mister Israel (Masters Over 50)" bodybulding contest and took third place. That too was fun. (Secret: there were only three in the competition.)

I'll be 74 this month. Forty-six years to go. More fun coming.

October 20, 2009 at 4:19 pm | Reply
  29. James W. Hawkins

I am 65 years old now, and I would love to live to 100, as long as I can take care of myself without imposing on others. If I will be a burden, then I am ready for the next life.

October 20, 2009 at 4:29 pm | Reply
  30. Dwayn Smith

Yes,I am looking forward to a good long life.I am 30yrs at the moment and couldn't wait until I reached this age.Now I am trying to ensure that I get in some exercise,spend time with my wife and children and do the work that I know I will continue to enjoy doing for the rest of my life.I am not looking to retire at all.In fact I am looking to work smarter,not harder well into my old age.I believe this will keep me as a whole, healthy and active ensuring that I donot grow weary in my old age but rather sharp and vibrant! I am looking forward to living long and living well seeing my childrens children and enjoying the legacy that myself and my wife leave behind, one that we can both be proud of!
    DWAYN SMITH JOHANNESBURG SOUTH AFRICA

October 20, 2009 at 4:30 pm | Reply
  31. og warner

i really wouldnt want to live till im 100 years old, maybe 70s or 80s
    because what good would that be if i cant even move, run or even walk without struggling or breaking a hip.

October 20, 2009 at 4:30 pm | Reply
  32. No-name-Jane

Freddy Mercury said: "Who wants to live forever?" I'd like to reach 65, get my pension, live off the government for about 20 years, and then fall asleep one night and never open my eyes again. That still gives me 30 to do a few things I haven't had time to do....yet!!!

October 20, 2009 at 4:33 pm | Reply
  33. Omer

Life in itself is not the supreme value. It is quality of life that is the value. Next January I will be 33 and I'm gonna ask anyone who comes to wish me anything to pray for me that I will work until my dying day and be able to jog 10 km until the day I die. I don't want to win the lottery and do not wish myself comfort or rest. I wish I will work and Jog on my dying day, be it tomorrow or in 60 years.

October 20, 2009 at 4:37 pm | Reply
  34. JV Batangas, Philippines

I think I will reach 100. My grandma just celebrated her 96th birthday two weeks ago. My grandpa reached 92. To think that my family's genes are riddled with cancer, diabetes, hypertension, etc. is a mean feat for my folks. I am 28 and I think the future looks good for me. I just hope that I will be happy by then. New medications and maybe operations should move faster so the aging world will have centenarians who look and feel like in their 70s at least.

October 20, 2009 at 4:48 pm | Reply
  35. Pooja

i want to live a happy healthy fulfilling life, no matter how many years.
    its quality that matters and not quantity. i dont think of death as life is about living , enjoying anf making the most of every year, month, week, day, hour . . every moment.

October 20, 2009 at 5:00 pm | Reply
  36. Mathew D'Souza

It is time for all of us to remember that life and death is ultimately in the hands of God and not science. It is God who allows life to be created and where and into what family we are born is largely a matter of luck and circumstance. The graying of Western populations has brought in more challenges to an already overpopulated world, and further medical advances in prolonging life would only add to our problems. Already in the recession, the cost of medical coverage is being deemed inadequate. Try as we might, we cannot extend our lives one moment longer than it has been ordained by the Creator. What we can do is to aid our bodies by eating healthful foods and exercising regularly so that our brains and bodies are fitter and last longer as we age. It is the quality of life that matters, not the number of years we live. That is ultimately not up to us anyway.

October 20, 2009 at 5:10 pm | Reply
  37. Thomas Koshy

I am 63 years old of East Indian origin living in North East USA. My living parents are 93 and 87 in good health and will live to be 100. If so I plan to be alive and well at 110.

October 20, 2009 at 5:11 pm | Reply
  38. mariatere

si siempre la idea de vivir para siempre es la mejor, pero dificil y tambien dificil para vivirla realmente, quien quiere vivir mas que sus hijos o sus nietos, suponiendo que estos vivieran hasta los 190 años, ok pero sino con llegar un poquito mas lejos para vrlos mas grandes esta ok para mi. gracias.

October 20, 2009 at 5:12 pm | Reply
  39. Crystal Ooi

Ive never actually thought of that but i dont mind living till i am 100 as long as i am a healthy old woman. I would love to see changes in the world as time passes.
    LOL @ Doug.

October 20, 2009 at 5:20 pm | Reply
  40. Jilly

Yes, I want to live forever. The Bible says I can if I live as a meek and righteous one...one who follows God's laws as found in the Bible. Psalm 37:10, 11, 29

There are way too many things to accomplish here in a lifetime of even 100 years. Why would God give us a brain that thinks into forever and not allow us to live more than that?

Makes sense to me...

October 20, 2009 at 5:29 pm | Reply
  41. Gordon Ashlee

I think this sort of research is wonderful! As long as there is quality to life, I want it. Organ transplant, stem cells, artificial joints that last longer, bring it on! I'm a 54 year-young snowboarder and I plan to ride until I'm at least 85. As the great band Aerosmith put it so well into song, "Life's a Journey, Not a Destination". I'll continue my journey as long as I can. Live, Love, Laugh.

October 20, 2009 at 5:47 pm | Reply
  42. Amit

No way. I think I'd like to live upto 65-70 at the most while i can still remember the lyrics to my favorite rock songs and can enjoy my life and health. After a certain age, life just becomes monotonous and overbearing. I don't want to be dependent on anyone in my old age or be in a state where i cannot physically or mentally enjoy life. I want to go away with dignity and not suffer in my last few years. I think its important that we live a full life (travel the world, raise a wonderful family, make a name for yourself, enjoy your music and food) well before 60. If you cant do it by then, then i think you cant live life to the fullest after that.

So go out there and LIVE your life every single day!

October 20, 2009 at 5:49 pm | Reply
  43. Kelly

My Grandparents are in their 80s, one has Parkinson's and has wanted to die for years, the other is constantly going to the Doctor for a variety of issues. My Great Great Aunt died at 102, and didn't have a clue what was going on around her since she hit about 95.

So, No, I am not looking forward to turning 100. Just being alive for the sake of being alive isn't worth it. It takes a lot of medications and assistance to live that long. There are a handful of people who live that long vibrantly, but the majority end up alone in assisted living or nursing homes. I don't want to be one of them, but in the end I suppose it is all up to God.

October 20, 2009 at 5:52 pm | Reply
  44. Rafael

Only as long as I am healthy. Whatever amount of time, 60, 80 or 100, will be fine if it is actually living and not just surviving. I am in my 40's and relatively healthy but too many people I have seen decline and suffer too long. It's ok to go on to the next life and make room for others.

October 20, 2009 at 5:58 pm | Reply
  45. Blue Max

I know that it is my physical activity that is and will continue to contribute not just to the longevity of my life but to the richness of those days or years as well.
    My wife and I ride bicycles, not just to keep in shape and save gas but, because of the places all over the world that we have been able to visit and have yet to visit.
    All the while we are able to enjoy the local foods, in wide array and abundance, always burning more calories than we consume.
    We meet local people and travellers alike who are of similar minds and delighted to share time, space, and stories.
    Whether there is 1 more day, or 10,000, we must explore and marvel in the world around us, try and make it a little better place than the day before, but all the while, keep in motion to help make them happen.

October 20, 2009 at 6:02 pm | Reply
  46. Slrman

All of you anti-old people, why would we want you to live even another day. Your minds have already died, your bodies just don't know it yet. I'm 66 and am more fit and mentally active than most of this idiots.

October 20, 2009 at 6:03 pm | Reply
  47. Marky61

I'm a 48-year-old Canadian male. I try to take care of myself, but I have put on a lot of weight since I got married 14 years ago. I'm hoping to take some of it off now. I grew up with a smoker (dad) but never took up the habit, and they banned smoking in the workplace 20 years ago. I hope to see 100 years for this reason. I remember watching a film in school about a man who tried to kill himself by running to bring on a heart attack. It didn't happen, but he discovered he liked running. The film ended by showing the man running in a park. He was 90 years old.

October 20, 2009 at 6:16 pm | Reply
  48. DaveM

I look forward to a long life (100+). Both my parents lived past 90; I am 61 now and in good health; just changed jobs 2 years ago and I am doing something I really enjoy. I have a wife who loves me and I love her; great children and grandchildren. I don't want to work until I die (no matter how good the job is), because I look forward to doing things that don't have a monetary reward. If medical science continues to progress (and the costs don't go through the stratosphere), 100 in good health is my goal.

October 20, 2009 at 6:21 pm | Reply
  49. Alan Foster

Lots of thoughtful posts here; may you all live as long as you need to allow your dreams to come true.

October 20, 2009 at 6:43 pm | Reply
  50. Estela

Certainly yes, but only if the rest of our human kind has the same opportunity as I will have and no child if left to go to sleep hungry. Otherwise, life is no worth of be lived or witnessed.

October 20, 2009 at 6:48 pm | Reply
  51. francisco siqueiro

nowdays is posible. it just takes good food, good life and a great attitude about things and life...
    I m almost 50 and I still feel great on bicycles, skates, skis, walking. in kayaks, anything for fun.
    Whats 50 more ? hope I will be doing the same things I enjoy so much in this planet.
    wish me luck. thanks and the same for you.........

October 20, 2009 at 6:50 pm | Reply
  52. sally pello

Well I am very interested on how far i can go and what odds i can beat unlike my ancestors.. or even my parents> we have an amazing body, theres no way to appreciate it even more by living healthier and longer>

October 20, 2009 at 6:53 pm | Reply
  53. raoul

Very good coments about live up to 100 years.I,m 80 alread,start to work at de age 7 year up to 50...so,all my life I work,travel and travel to many,many places, speeking 5 diferent linguages,love gyrls all my life even today I have a lady "quarentona"my experiênce "dans la BELLE
    VIE"in all my life is graety,few people of age doing watt I,m doing...
    learn computers and "gadgets" at the of 70,s learn whit that nows
    more than me...if I live up to 100 years is OK...all I need is good health..
    I,m happy...

October 20, 2009 at 6:54 pm | Reply
  54. Mick McCuddin

Yes, I definitely look forward to living to 100, or beyond. At 75 I only suffer tolerable arthritis in my knuckles and occasional back pain. I swim across Pago Pago Bay every year on my birthday – weather permitting – and crew on our new double-hulled Samoan voyaging canoe. I believe a strong zest for life and active interest in world happenings is what keeps me young.

October 20, 2009 at 7:14 pm | Reply
  55. van acker

why waiting so long for going to heaven (or hell)?

October 20, 2009 at 7:31 pm | Reply
  56. Gart van Gennip

With people living to be 100+ years of age, with people working hard around the world to improve health care and lower child mortality rates, it is time to start taking overpopulation of the planet very seriously. If not, all this good news will eventually lead to disaster.

October 20, 2009 at 7:31 pm | Reply
  57. Penelope

yes – as long as my brain keeps functioning....

October 20, 2009 at 7:39 pm | Reply
  58. Andrew Doyle

I would like to live until 100, but only if i was still enjoying life. I`m 23 now and the whole culture of new medical advances and the easy access for most to gyms etc should hopefully lead to longer, happier , healthier , more relaxed living.

If i was in a healthy fit enough state so that i was not in pain every day, there would be plenty to enjoy in life, as long as you have a decent level of independence.

October 20, 2009 at 7:45 pm | Reply
  59. geo35

Studies of healthy populations among the very old reveal that the following are the things to do to achieve longevity:
    a) Eat a frugal diet and chew your food well!!!
    b) Exercise and get plenty of fresh air
    c) Choose a congenial occupation
    d) Develop a placid or easygoing personality; for some, this becomes easier after they eliminate animal products from their diet.
    e) Maintain a high level of personal hygiene
    f) Drink wholesome liquids – primarily still spring water, from glass bottles if you can get it
    g) Abstain from all forms of drugs, stimulants and sedatives
    h) Get plenty of rest
    i) Have regular daily bowel movements
    j) Live in a temperate climate
    k) Enjoy a reasonable sex life
    l) Get proper medical attention in case of illness

October 20, 2009 at 7:56 pm | Reply
  60. Aaron

Sign me up! I'd be more than happy to live forever.

October 20, 2009 at 8:01 pm | Reply
  61. carlos montes

FRANKLY NO. I already, at 81 have all those symptoms (inherited) back pain, bone clacking (La danse macabre by Saens saens) and having been retired, no one would hire me although I am a pianist and singer and the voice is still tinkle bells.
    I find myself bored, , having become my own house keeper i think of myself sometimes as the MAID|. COOKING, WASHING, IRONING ETC. BOORING°. True,if I can manage not to fall asleep liike an old fool, I´, trying to finish Proust (really too much of an effort) and I go through the N,Y.Times, CNN, my periodical here /excelsior) and walk the dog. but, if I´m going to look like the old lady on your picture, then i say, St. Peter, open up those gates and get me a suitable concert hall!.
    Carlos montes in hectic mexico city.

October 20, 2009 at 8:19 pm | Reply
  62. SILVIA

THERE IS NO WAY I WOULD LIKE TO LIVE TILL I'M 100. I'M 66 YEARS OLD ANA ALL I WANT IS TO LIVE AND DIE WITHOUT PAIN. REGRETTABLY I ALREADY HAVE SEVERAL DISEASES AND ALSO PAIN THAT DOESN'T ALLOW ME TO DO THINGS I WOULD LIKE TO DO. I CAN HARDLY WALK AND EVERY STEP IS ACCOMPANIED BY EXCRUCIATING PAIN. IT CAN ONLY GET WORSE, SO WHY SHOULD I WANT TO LIVE TILL I'M 100?NO WAY! I AM NOT AFRAID OF DEATH. MANY PEOPLE ARE AFRAID OF DEATH AND THAT'S THE REASON WHY THEY SAY THEY WANT TO LIVE SO LONG. ALL I WANT IS TO BE ABLE TO DIE WITH DIGNITY AND WITHOUT PAIN. I DON'T WANT TO BE HELD ALIVE WITH ARTIFICIAL MACHINES OR RESPIRATORS. I HAVE LIVED 66 YEARS, I DON'T HAVE TO DIE BUT I DON'T MIND DYING.

October 20, 2009 at 8:28 pm | Reply
  63. Dutch

You bet I'd love to see 100 yrs, if I could stay fit. I know my relatives might be gone and maybe some of my younger friends, even. But I want to see what advances are made in science, health, space, EVERYTHING! I've made my younger friends promise, if I die before they do, that when some stupendous discovery is made (a cure for cancer, alzheimers, life on other planets, etc) they will think of me, because I wanted to see it and didn't get to. I'm curious about all the natural world. I look back and think what has been accomplished in the last 100 yrs and it makes me wonder what will come in the next century. Maybe not all will be good, but neither was not all good in the last 100 yrs either.

October 20, 2009 at 8:50 pm | Reply
  64. ndinigwe

What?!! I am extremely disappointed. That doesn't satisfy my wishes. I was thinking 200years for a start!!! Please let them check their calculation less the punched 1 instead of 2

October 20, 2009 at 8:50 pm | Reply
  65. SharonInKorea

100!!!! HA! I am proud to be an American living in South Korea but I want to live to be 117 so I can see the Bicentennial Time Capsule buried in my hometown opened at the nation's Tricentennial celebration on July 4th, 2076. God bless America and hopefully me too so I can be there!

October 20, 2009 at 8:50 pm | Reply
  66. Angela Airey

Wonderful to read a POSITIVE view of aging. We don't have to succumb to deterioration of the flesh and bones, if we take an active responsibility and a permeating discernment of our lifestyles. For example, ACCEPT that as we age we need LESS food and take pleasure in being very much more careful about what passes your lips. Walk that much further to a really wonderful bakery to buy one tiny delectable tidbit rather than a box of ordinary fare. Choose your venue for savouring this delight with care. Make every morsel count. Then venture out to find your next worthy marathon reward. We simply have to make it our responsibility to live differently, to add humour, to change habits that no longer serve us. I often catch myself thinking, "If this were to be my very last day on earth, how would I enjoy it the most?" That's not a morbid thought, it's a gift of conscious living. What DO I do? I walk down to the beach and slow down enough to enjoy a setting sun that takes forty minutes of artistic magnificence to dip into the sea. In the dusk, I'm still standing there, mesmerized by the stark silhouettes of couples lingering, entranced, and I remember the days when I was fortunate in the same way. Then I come back to my tiny apartment and take a book out onto the balcony, turn up the fan to blow all of the mosquitoes out of my realm, and dig into a really good story. I finish with a prayer of gratitude for the peace and quiet that has filtered into my world of late: no babies squawking, no husband wanting cocoa stirred just so, and I am reminded of that quote about, 'to everything there is a season'. I eat less, I walk more, I make peaceful interludes much more of a partner in my day and the residue is that I am WAY HEALTHIER than I have ever been.

Find your own way to enhance your own health and stamina. Your body is life's gift. Enjoy caring for it!

October 20, 2009 at 8:51 pm | Reply
  67. Kevin

There is no escaping eternity, we will all eventually die and God is interested (as written in the Bible) on what is on the inside and what we have done with our lives and our response to God....we can't escape death

October 20, 2009 at 8:56 pm | Reply
  68. Ide Lehner

My great grandfather is 100 years old, my grandmother is 68 and they are strong, healthy and active. None of them use a cane and they walk everywhere,and they have all their teeth, and eat anything they want. With those genes in my blood, of course I am not worried about getting old. Keep in mind we eat Jalapeños in everyday meals. Spicy but good foods.

October 20, 2009 at 9:04 pm | Reply
  69. Noel T

I am 59 and regularly have testosterone implants to maintain health and restore testosterone levels to within the healthy range, while it has not improved sexual performance, it has reduced my waistline by 2 inches, given me more energy and reduced depression. The implants ensure a constant testosterone level which should assist in maintaining muscle mass and bone density. I have been consuming an average of 1 pint of regular milk a day all my life to keep calcium levels up, I have reduced coffee intake to 1 cup a day to assist with blood pressure control and my at rest heart rate is 58-62. I need to reduce my weight from 110kg (240 lbs) to around 90kg (200 lbs) as I am only 6 feet tall.

October 20, 2009 at 9:25 pm | Reply
  70. T. Bolton

The key to longevity is exercise. My grandfather began walking at the age of ninety five. He's now over a hundred and we have no idea where he is!

October 20, 2009 at 9:38 pm | Reply
  71. T. Bolton

The Good Book says that man was created to live forever Gen. 2:17! It all depends on our attitude. If we are attached to the Creator; take the present in our hands and let Him control the future there's no reason we can't live forever (If G-d wants) and enjoy every moment. Hey! Look at all the young, pretty, rich successful rock & movie stars that were miserable to death. Look at all the high school kids that do suicide. It's all in our heads. Think positively, look for meaning and joy and you'll find it forever!

October 20, 2009 at 9:47 pm | Reply
  72. dr André Kruger

It's not so much that people are getting older. The healthiest 100-year-olds are typically those who never needed, or used, modern medical intervention. There has always been centenarians, but the percentage that reaches 100 are now increasing as we reduce "excess mortality" due to treatable causes.

October 20, 2009 at 10:20 pm | Reply
  73. mike

what is the point living up to 100 when i may not even be able to move or even walk good . i wouldn't mind living up to 100 but the most people i see that live in Germany and that are 100 do not look so happy, that's why i am not looking forward to that 🙂

October 20, 2009 at 10:26 pm | Reply
  74. Ann Marten

Better health and mobility will bring greater independence and more possibilities for a high quality old age, BUT it must be in a context of the other things that contribute to quality of life. People need meaningful work, whether paid or volunteer; a stable income that allows them to do more than scrape by; family and community so they can have adequate social interaction, etc. An expensive 'robot', isolated and alone, with an inapproriate diet, only a TV for company and no way to get any needs met is not a resonable goal nor is it a good use of our health care resources. We must look at innovative living communities that most seniors can afford, more public health intervention and monitoring, and more transportation options so these miracle bodies can enjoy their ives. Too often our health care system values the whiz bang technical acheivements and leaves it at that. Let,s focus less on technology and more on the whole person in the community. And make sure there is a place for these people in the community.

October 20, 2009 at 10:34 pm | Reply
  75. Jon Robinson

I agree with Katie, you never know whats truly coming in the future, so why not be there to see it go down? And even though a life at 100 years old kind of seems bleak in this age, that doesn't necessarily mean that we wont develop the technology to overcome things such as aging, failure of the body, and weakened mental capabilities. In fact, these things are all being tackled, and it is only a matter of time. So if you hold on until then, surely there will be a way to live life in the same youthful lifestyle as someone decades younger. I'd love to be around forever.

October 21, 2009 at 12:51 am | Reply
  76. Kathi Casey

I think it's great that at least some of the focus of this study will be on early detection and prevention. I'm healthier now at age 57 than I was at 20 and I believe that we can all live healthier and longer lives without artificial knees, hips or other body parts. Louise Hay is there along with many other teachers and I plan to join them by taking care of my body, eating preventative foods, using my Osteoporosis prevention techniques as well as exercises that keep my heart healthy, simple stress busters that lower blood pressure, enhance sleep and more. I'm a wellness coach who trains Baby Boomers and we all plan to "age well"
    Kathi Casey, The Healthy Boomer Body Expert

October 21, 2009 at 2:04 am | Reply
  77. Paul

My goal is not to live the longest, but to live the fullest. Be it another 50 years or just 1, I hope to make them the best years of my life.

October 21, 2009 at 2:51 am | Reply
  78. Saa

Why would I want to live to be 100? So I can STILL be working - living paycheck to paycheck - and STILL be afraid to go to the doctor because I have a pre-existing condition?

If I am unfortunate enough to live that long, it would probably be in a tent or a dumpster somewhere.

No thanks. My retirement is my death and I look forward to it.

October 21, 2009 at 3:15 am | Reply
  79. Aleksey Levin

I cannot help wonderingwho will pay for these medical miracles. The retirees or the young people?

October 21, 2009 at 3:15 am | Reply
  80. alvan e mitchell

i think that you are on the right track. my mom just made 100 years on oct 8. she gave a 12 minute speech at her b/day celebration. there was no rambling, repeating of herself nor loss for words. she doesn't wear glasses, hearing aids, nor does she use a cane. she can thread a needle faster than me with my glasses and she can chase any kid and give them stiff competetion. she has no aches and pains. i attribute a lot of this to her love for walking and exercise in general, her vegan diet, her loving and forgiving spirit and her love for God. anyone i ask to guess her age has never said more than 78. she is a blessed inspiration to everyone she knows.

October 21, 2009 at 3:28 am | Reply
  81. D.E.Terry

The prospect of living to 100, ugly as a fried fog and feeble as a drunken baby, is not much appealing. We live in a social world. There is a great need, especially in America, to move older people off the stage and into the shadows. It is very clear that, in time, no one wants to hear what one has to say or respond to the best laid plans. Look at CNN as one example: the "experts" it brings forward to speak are almost always under forty, usually in their late twenties or early thirties. What is the value to anyone of having people hang around like living fossils, taking up space and eating too much food? I greatly enjoy those I know who have lived long and well, but I fear that, as a society, we are in no way ready to accept long life and support its meaning.

October 21, 2009 at 3:29 am | Reply
  82. BK

People who don't want to live that long are just uncreative. They also fail to realize that improvements in medical technology mean that people who are born around now may not even be old when they are 100.
    Don't forget, there was a time when 50 was an amazing age to reach.

October 21, 2009 at 3:38 am | Reply
  83. D.E.Terry

My father lived to be 88 and it was a great blessing to his family, and especially to me, but not so great for him, though he continued to enjoy what life offered him right up until the end. The value of long life depends, in no small part, on how one defines life and oneself. My dad had a simple, straight forward appreciation of life and was humble about himself and his role in the world to his core. I appreciated him completely, and perhaps increasingly, despite the enfeeblements of old age. If offered the choice (which is seldom presented), I would much prefer that my closest family not have to be witness to that gradual slide into the darkest corners of old age. While life can be prolonged, I am not at all certain that there is any real favor being offered by the medical profession and its best striving.

October 21, 2009 at 3:47 am | Reply
  84. DeAnna

Great-Grandma lived to be 105, at which point she retired from her full-time job. She left us six months later. Her baby brother passed on a few years later, at 103. Her eldest daughter was in her mid 90s, but she had a heart condition. She also just managed to finish her book. Just because you're old doesn't mean you have to be decrepit. I've always maintained the secret of Grandmother's long life was that she never stopped *living*, right up to the end. If you believe you can find or create something new in the world every day, there's a reason to keep getting out of bed, even as a devout believer (which they all were).

Why stop at 100? I'm shooting for 120. I want to go face down in my T-bone and make them ship my body home from the French riviera. I want them to be laughing so hard they can't cry. As long as I'm alive, why not LIVE?

October 21, 2009 at 4:10 am | Reply
  85. Brenda

I'm 53 and doing my best to eat healthy (became vegetarian four months ago) and exercise 3-5 times a week (stretches, weight bearing, treadmill, elliptical, and rowing machines). I want to be a healthy "old geezer" but am not really looking forward to living to 100 unless my mind's all here.

October 21, 2009 at 4:13 am | Reply
  86. randy

i am 65 years in decent shape maybe i will live to 75 thats it for
    who the hell wants to live to 100 you cant do anything you would just be a nusinance to everyone drop dead in your seventies possibly your eighties you will feel better

October 21, 2009 at 4:18 am | Reply
  87. Robert

Old age is supposed to be the golden years. For what I can see, chronic health problems, lack of financial freedom, and United State's citizens not treating the seniors with respect in which other countries treat there elderly, what's to look forward too?

October 21, 2009 at 4:19 am | Reply
  88. Jayjaybe

It would be interesting to see a survey that correlates desire to live until 100 versus the ages of the respondents.

For myself, a pre-baby boomer, I'll take what I can handle without assistance. After that, why bother? I don't need to make up for time misspent. Bells can't be unrung; good or tragedy are the texture of life. Enough will be enough at any time.

October 21, 2009 at 4:38 am | Reply
  89. Yvonne Bragg

I am 44 and fully expect to- and plan to live to be 100. I get regular check ups and am exercising daily and trying to control my genetically high cholesterol. I want to know how to keep my MIND from failing before my body! My mother is 78 and has early stages of Alzheimer's. They can replace parts of the body but not the mind quite yet!

October 21, 2009 at 4:49 am | Reply
  90. Elizabeth, Georgia

I will celebrate my 70th birthday in a little over two months, and I certainly hope to enjoy another thirty or more years of life! Although I "retired" from paid employment several years ago, I am actively engaged in volunteer work at least 25-30 hours per week and would like to continue this as long as possible. A great-grandfather, two grandparents, my mother, and many great-aunts, aunts, uncles, and cousins have lived well into their eighties and nineties. I hope to reach 100, at least!

October 21, 2009 at 5:01 am | Reply
  91. Sigh

I am 67 and in fairly good shape but I am not looking forward to getting much older, as most available medications may prevent you from getting worse with your health condition but certainly they do not cure you completely. Medicine because of its power and size receives too much credit for 'healing' people while in reality it does no such thing. In my opinion 90% of medications either have side effects or do nothing at all for poor old people at a great expense–a ripoff.

October 21, 2009 at 5:02 am | Reply
  92. Jan Koltun Titus

I'll probably live to highest old age; both of my parents were healthy until their eighties and their nutritional intake was skewed toward sugars and alcohol. I eat on the alkaline end of the available nutritional mix (See my blog at acidandalkaline.blogspot.com), get good exercise walking our dog, and have many interests.

October 21, 2009 at 5:15 am | Reply
  93. Jan Koltun Titus

Most certainly I look forward to my hundredth birthday, just 26 years ahead! I'll probably live to highest old age; both of my parents were healthy until their eighties and their nutritional intake was skewed toward sugars and alcohol. I eat on the alkaline end of the available nutritional mix (See my blog at acidandalkaline.blogspot.com), get good exercise walking our dog, and have many interests, including the growing, weaving, and selling of lavender.

October 21, 2009 at 5:27 am | Reply
  94. Rosemary Harper

Longeviety runs in my father's family. His one sister just died at the age of 106 yrs. She was fortunate to not have a weight problem. Still, she was careful about what she ate. She & her husband raised 4 happy & sucessful children. Although she had her share of disappointments & sorrows in her life, she always had a positive attitude toward life. She accentuated the positive, not the negayive. She was active most of her life, working as a nurse, after her children were well grown. She was interested in politics, social issues & above all, loved her family. Altho her hearing & eyesight deteriorated over the yrs., she had her mental faculties until she was 104.

October 21, 2009 at 5:28 am | Reply
  95. Enrique

I would love to live up to be a 100 years old. The only problem is how many of my friends and family will be there with me. I do not want to be alone...

October 21, 2009 at 6:00 am | Reply
  96. John

Oh my! Why not, life is very interesting and it is that mystery that would make me to live longer.

October 21, 2009 at 6:04 am | Reply
  97. Jack L. Crain

I believe that there will be a lot of very wealthy people who will live to be 100 and in good physical health with slow motion dementia. The poor will die younger as they do today but the disparity will be greater.

October 21, 2009 at 6:06 am | Reply
  98. HectorV

I want to live forever. So no, I have no plans on dying. My great grandmother lived to be 106. My grandmother is 95 and her older brother is 100 and her older sister is 97. None of them want to die. That is the one lesson that I have taken from them, you must want to live. I am having a great time living, why end it?

October 21, 2009 at 6:14 am | Reply
  99. Meekerman

I am 35. I not only hope to reach 100, but I plan on living to 1000 and beyond. The people who don't want to reach 100, what they don't realize is that life is going to be so much different in the coming decades. They are looking at life as it is now. Science and technology are on the verge of exploding exponentially that it will be difficult to keep up.

Being 100 in the year 2050 or even earlier will be completely different than living in a nursing home hooked up to fluids and hoses. We're going to advance in bio-medicine, nanotechnology and robotics that will make 100 year-olds feel like they're 30 again.

And what do you do with your time? Virtual reality will allow you to travel anywhere in the world from the comfort of your home. You not only will be able to visit London while staying in New York, but you could visit it as it was in the 1800s. You could stay on an island beach resort without the worry of sunburns, sand mites, sharks or dare I say ... other people.

If anyone reads what is happening in science and technology right now, they will start to believe that it will happen in the years to come. We have a computer in our cell phones that is so much faster than a more expensive desktop computer from ten years ago. Imagine what we'll have ten years from now since technology itself moves faster with each passing year. Imagine twenty years from now what we'll have.

Do I want to live forward to my 100th birthday? Ya darn skippy, I do.

October 21, 2009 at 7:21 am | Reply
  100. Diane

Living to be 100 would be nice as long as my husband is still alive and we are both in good shape.

October 21, 2009 at 7:43 am | Reply
  101. Thomas

If I live to be a 100?, I would want to be fit enough to enjoy it. The reality {now} is grim. I suggest a visit to a care home or a dementia ward and afterwards come back and write the same science article. I'm 53 now but my children have explicit instructions, {if I turn into a vegetable!} I do not want to cling on like a lot of old people seem to and I've made up my mind. However, if anyone does come up with a cure I'll be first in the queue.

October 21, 2009 at 8:18 am | Reply
  102. Greg

I hate to say but in the words of George Carlin, the human race is circling the drain.

100? Yeah, right.

With no animals left thanks to the gutless apathetic creeps who are destroying them all. A government that is no longer concealing it's facism, atleast in this country. ( Look at marijuanahempquotes.com and tell me if you think the government cares one iota what anyone thinks.) They don't care about you. At all. At All. At all.

Living to be 100 will ensure that you will witness hell on earth.

October 21, 2009 at 9:03 am | Reply
  103. Colleen

No. We'll all be broke. No way we safe enough the way things are to last that long and the government won't be able to. Some drastic changes will have to take place; the likes we have never ever seen before in order for all of us to be able to sustain ourselves that long and be happy. Health is one thing, but if you don't have a pot to pee in , what is the point?

October 21, 2009 at 11:15 am | Reply
  104. Thurnetra

If I live to be 100?, i would do lots of funny thing and i also stay to myself and dont go anywhere.

October 21, 2009 at 12:00 pm | Reply
  105. Diane R.

It would be nice to live to be 100 years old, that is if there are no complications with health. But I really don't think so.

October 21, 2009 at 12:20 pm | Reply
  106. Michelle T

I am 50 now, and hope to live for at least another 50! This is despite a damaged nerve in my left leg which leaves me in constant pain or d discomfort. I use prescription pain blockers and prescription Lidocaine medicated pads every day to keep the pain manageable (and I do have period without any pain). However, I'm hoping that pain management without drugs will evolve, so my liver/kidheny otger organs won't be destroued), I'm about to schedule a series of acupuncture treatments with my doctor so I hope that not only reduces my daily pain/disconfort but that it will help manage the pain so I can eventually stop using the pads and pills.

I am so happy to wake up every day, despite my pain. I don't let it define my life or stop be ffrom doing anything I want to do. Ju only regret is that I can't run anymore but I do speedwalking to stay in shape. Still get that adrenaline rush!

Life is wonderful and I want every second of it that I can get! I was 34 when my son was born, and I hope to live to be able to celebrate at least HIS 50th birthday!

October 21, 2009 at 12:23 pm | Reply
  107. Big Al

Nozar, you are not living life to its fullest. Guess what? Neither am I. At least not everyday. On some days, I may feel negative, but on most days, I feel positive because I choose to be positive.

If your life currently feels repetitive like a daily grind that is nothing but "same old crap, different day," there are ways around that. Get out more, get out of your home! Travel, ride a bike, go to the beach, meet new people who may likely bring something new to your life.

I personally know many people older than you who don't think their lives are a daily grind. These same people choose to live and I mean they choose on their own free will to live life to its fullest. The world does not come to you, it's the other way around.

October 21, 2009 at 12:34 pm | Reply
  108. Slrman

Michelle T. I had a similar problem with a disk that was swollen and pressing on my sciatic nerve. I was in constant pain for months and taking pain killers that eventually cause an esophageal ulcer.

Luckily, I found a neuro-surgeon here that was trained in an innovative, non-invasive surgery called nucleoplasty that cured me completely. Even better, I has the surgery performed in the morning ans 12 hours later, I was home in my own bed. That was in 2005 and I have not had one instant of pain since.

Please look up nucleoplasty and see if there are any surgeons in your area performing this. It was invented in São Paulo, Brazil and, at the time of my surgery was only available in Brazil and the UK. But that has surely changed by now.

Speaking briefly, this involves inserting a needle (it looked HUGE to me, but wasn't that big) and temporarily liquefying the disk material with radio waves and then sucking out the excess until it was no longer pressing on the nerve. Luckily, with the health care we have in Brazil, all of it, including the hospital, anesthesia, etc. was totally covered. I paid $0.00.

October 21, 2009 at 12:47 pm | Reply
  109. chad

So many depressed people. I think if you were to ask the question would you like to live to a 100 and stay age 30 you might get a better answer. People have stuck in there head that we must die. I suggest that aging and death is unnecessary. l would also conclude that it a disease that needs to be wiped out. I would love to live forever. We have all been brain washed. Yes I said it . We all have been brain washed. Thinking we must die and that there is some life after this. No wonder nobody's happy. If your lucky and a perfect person you might even get to live forever in this happy place called heaven with god or die with the devil. Wake up people. Be here now. Stop creating a illusion. We are the gods. We create this reality. We have the power, knowledge and imagination to create anything anything . Be free,let go and enjoy the truth. Peace

October 21, 2009 at 1:05 pm | Reply
  110. Auds

Yuck. No Thanks. I don't even think I'd want to live to 80, honestly. The only way I'd like to live past about 65/70 is if I had plenty of money to retire and vacation for the rest of my life.

October 21, 2009 at 1:13 pm | Reply
  111. Tricia

I'd love to live to be 100. My Aunt is 88 and she still drives, mows her own lawn, shops, cleans her house, paints, gardens and a lot of other things. I think how we age has a lot to do with our attitude towards life. My Aunt has never given up, tries to find the good in people, and enjoys every moment possible. That's what I'll try to do too. There's just so much to learn here – 77 years (or whatever the average is for a woman) just isn't enough. There are so many new discoveries made every year that can make aging better instead of painful, and getting old doesn't have to be lonely and boring either. Life is what WE make it. We have more control over our physical ailments and aging than we yet know. I'm here till it's time for a new journey, but I'm enjoying the education and want to stay a while to see what else I can learn. (I'm 46 and physically disabled...for now)

October 21, 2009 at 1:28 pm | Reply
  112. Lee

Here is the challenge. How much love can you show and how many people can you show such love to. The key to happiness in life at any age is always having someone around who loves you. And the best way to always have such love and caring given to you is by first being that type of person.

I have been through a period of physical and mental pain and deep despair in my life. The only thing that kept me going and wanting to live was the love of other people.

October 21, 2009 at 2:02 pm | Reply
  113. Lee

Followup to my last message...

We do an incredible diservice to our elders and ourselves when we put them away in a nursing home and forget about them. Our kids will do the same thing to us as we do to our elders.

October 21, 2009 at 2:10 pm | Reply
  114. bill

you all are depressing

October 21, 2009 at 2:11 pm | Reply
  115. Marlene

I feel sorry for those who are so unhappy and/or are so afraid of growing old that they don't want to live to 100.

Life is what you make it at any age. As long as I could be independent and not be a burden to anyone, I would want to live forever also! And yet, I have no fear of dying.

I think that seniors could contribute so much. I am 59. My mother lived to 92, her mother to 96. So, all-in-all, I have a fairly good chance.

I have always loved older people. When I was a little girl, I went around the neighborhood visiting all the old people. I sat and talked with them, and I had a great time learning stuff. That's what this world needs more of today. There are generation gaps everywhere but most of the cause is that the young people don't give the older ones a chance. I am not jealous of the young; I think they are great! Many people my age talk about them like they are worth nothing, so it goes both ways. There is good in everyone, sometimes just a bit deeper than most care to dig.

I do and plan to continue growing old gracefully. My body has changed, my skin is more wrinkled and my joints ache at times but I keep pushing. It beats the alternative.

October 21, 2009 at 2:19 pm | Reply
  116. SALY K

100? Not if I have Alzheimer's or Parkinson's-conditions I watched my parents deteriorate and die from-in their mid-80's. Also, not if I run out of money when I'm 80. Living in poverty and subsisting on oatmeal and tomato soup isn't my idea of living.

Oh, but I do want to see how my grandsons turn out. They have captured my heart and soul.

October 21, 2009 at 3:05 pm | Reply
  117. zivis

I'll take every day I can get, they just seem to be getting better all the time. I have a profession I can be (perhaps even increasingly) productive until I die. My wife and I continue to get closer over the years. I feel more proud of my sons every day (if science could give me enough time to raise some more I would). Money is getting easier even with the mess. I am not running out things to see and learn any time soon. If science and I can just hold my body together, what's not to love in life? Besides earth needs us to live long enough to start paying for our own damage; its the only way we have the incentive to take care of it.

October 21, 2009 at 3:26 pm | Reply
  118. ByHoyleByJove

My father is 95. He always loved to tell the story of being an 11 year old and having a gypsy tell him he'd live to 103. Now he hopes and prays she was wrong.

He can't see (macular degeneration), can't hear (even with aids), can't chew (false teeth won't stay in because of jaw deterioration), can't smell, and now can't walk. For someone who loved reading and watching or listening to the Chicago Cubs games his life isn't much anymore. He's ready to leave what is now hell on earth to him.

100 would not be bad if our bodies could be in decent shape but that's not the case for most.

October 21, 2009 at 3:28 pm | Reply
  119. Gazn Fagori

Groundhog day? There is enough on this planet that it would take several lifetimes to experience it all. You choose to make it repetitive. Get up off your butt and do something you've only thought about doing before.
    Live a day or 100 years – strive to make it count. Don't waste a moment. Help others.

October 21, 2009 at 3:51 pm | Reply
  120. Dan Schultz

I'm just saying – in 50 years the video games are going to be awesome. Having bonus time to kill at the same time will be doubly awesome.

October 21, 2009 at 3:52 pm | Reply
  121. joe

One hundred years seems less abundant, when I imagine how long I will be dead.

October 21, 2009 at 4:22 pm | Reply
  122. Jingo

God, I'm hoping I don't make it past 50 (I just turned 45)!! This world sucks and has from the minute I acheived self-awareness.

October 21, 2009 at 4:31 pm | Reply
  123. John

How can anyone hate life so much as to say "Every day is just a repeat of the last," and "No, I'd never want to live to be 100?" I love life, and would absolutely live forever if I could, no matter what the cost.

October 21, 2009 at 4:43 pm | Reply
  124. India Andrews

No way! I've had several elderly relatives and watching them gradually lose their independence because their bodies and minds slowly decay before their bodies finally go kaput was a peek into my future. I'd rather die suddenly while I'm still young enough to have enjoyed life, not when I'm 100 with a diaper strapped to my rear end, failling eyesight, failing hearing and dementia.

October 21, 2009 at 5:21 pm | Reply
  125. Lynne

I'm 63. Please God let me leave this Earth when I can't contribute one ounce of anything good to anyone.

October 21, 2009 at 6:36 pm | Reply
  126. reason

Life was pretty much the same for thousands of years. Look at how much life has changed in the past decade.

October 21, 2009 at 6:50 pm | Reply
  127. Steve

I'm with Meekerman, by the time I hit 100 life will be very different. Sure, if I'd be in pain and unable to do anything but sit around waiting to die, I wouldn't want to hang on, but that's not what this article is about. This is about having a quality life at 100 and beyond.

There are so many things right now that I haven't done that I'd want to do, not to mention all the things that will be possible in 100, 500, 1000 years. I don't want to miss out on all of that!

So fine, if you want to check out, just do it. Me, I'm in it for the long haul.

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying" - Woody Allen

"How's it going on your plan to live forever?" - "So far, so good!"

October 21, 2009 at 7:15 pm | Reply
  128. Louis

Great. Another 50 great, wonderful, incredible, beautiful, amazing, exciting years. Because that is what life is....

October 21, 2009 at 7:23 pm | Reply
  129. hajo

i want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and crying like the passengers in his car.

October 21, 2009 at 7:28 pm | Reply
  130. Dagobert II

I've read its all gonna end on 21 December 2012, but it would be interesting to make it at least to that date to see what happens.

What will quality of life be like should I make it to 100 years of age? How big will the government deficit be? How much of it will they try to get me to pay? Will a reliable cell phone or computer ever be developed?

I'm too realistic to be optimistic.

October 21, 2009 at 7:47 pm | Reply
  131. larry g

Live to be 100? Hell no! It all ends 2012.

October 21, 2009 at 8:59 pm | Reply
  132. Happy Today

I believe each day we live to see , is a true blessing. If we live our lives, looking forward to serving others and helping someone besides ourself, life can NEVER get old. We must live right and we must serve others. When we no longer wish to do either of these things, basically we are already dead.

October 21, 2009 at 9:01 pm | Reply
  133. Katalina

Hell yes I want to live to be 100! Isn't that what life is all about? Challenges.

October 21, 2009 at 9:02 pm | Reply
  134. Kevin

You are all missing the big picture...
    Just because you get older doesn't necessarily mean you're going to lose your mind, or end up needed 24 hour care... It all depends on what YOU do with your life... if you aren't in very good shape as you age or your perspective on life is far far far from optimistic, then clearly your body and mind will begin to decay before you die of natural causes! This article is about keeping yourself up and maintaining a healthy lifestyle so that when you do get older, you can enjoy your life.
    I would love to hit age 100, and if I do, I'm not planning on sitting around at home or in 'the home' all day being cared for by someone who more than likely doesn't care at all about me. I'm planning to still be out and about, though it may not be at my current pace, doing things I enjoy.

October 21, 2009 at 9:10 pm | Reply
  135. Susan

DeAnna:

Your comment is wonderful!! You know the secret of life!!!

October 21, 2009 at 9:25 pm | Reply
  136. Paul

I married someone ten years younger than me...I'm going to want the extra time!

October 21, 2009 at 9:43 pm | Reply
  137. Tracie in Bedford Ohio

My 8 year old son look at my husband last week and said "daddy I don't want to be 50 years old" when my husband asked him why he said that his answer was "you won't be alive when I am 50". It broke my husband heart who is 50 and I am 42 and we also have a 3 year old. Yes we have a need to live. I tease my husband and said "well' baby I might be here I'll just be 84".

October 21, 2009 at 10:01 pm | Reply
  138. Vikram

@ByHoyleByJove, truly agree with you.. living past 100 totally depends on the health.. I dont think people with age around 90 are enjoying their life.. they are just waiting for the time.. I've seen lot of older people living lonely life with no affection and caring when they really need those.. no one has time to look after their elder people in todays generation.. and life in 1900's was less advanced compared to today.. but I guess they had a clean, pure, hygienic life compared to today with healthy relationships..

nowadays everyone is worried about money and survival.. this wasn't the situation in the past.. animals are in extinct situation.. rich are getting richer poor are getting poorer.. increase in pollution and population day by day.. we are unable to control the global warming.. life has become so busy, many are finding very hard to spend time with their loved ones... deforestation due to growing population.. the effect of politics on common man.. in shorter its getting worse day after the day..

I may be sounding like a pessimist.. but this is what I've seen.. I'm 26, I'd like to live till 60..

sorry for my bad English..

October 21, 2009 at 10:10 pm | Reply
  139. Martin Rush

Most people who want to live to 100 are deluding themselves. Even with advances in medical technology, the vast majority of century-old folks will have multiple, major health problems, which will seriously degrade their quality of life. What is the point?

For those who can actually maintain a decent physical and mental state at age 100, I say: God bless you. For the rest of you centenarian-wannabes, I say: Watch out what you wish for.

Of course, in another decade or so, they'll probably be saying, "100 is the new 90."

October 21, 2009 at 10:20 pm | Reply
  140. Michael

I definitely want to live to be in my 80s, 90, because I see my family now, and I want to see how well we're doing in the future and I want to help get us there.

October 21, 2009 at 10:29 pm | Reply
  141. Sara

I cannot believe people would actually NOT want to live to be 100?! that is insane. You only get one life. When you're gone, think of it, you'll never exist again! why wouldn't you want to live a long life.
    I for one, want to live as long as I can.

October 21, 2009 at 10:35 pm | Reply
  142. Dave

I view each day as a gift from Gog and treat it as such. Pablo, ever hear of Jimmy Fixx?

October 21, 2009 at 10:51 pm | Reply
  143. The World

Life is wonder-filled if we wish it to be! The human aspects of life are the things that make life enjoyable and make life suck! We must rid the influence of politics, government, possession, and carelessness; so that we may all truly live our lives together in a world that is unlike any other. But the worst things in life are sometimes the best things for us.

October 21, 2009 at 11:21 pm | Reply
  144. ellgee

Unless I have maximum health as a 100 year old, there is no way I want to be 100. I think I'd just be a burden on others. I am fiercely independent now and can't imagine needing assistance to do simple things (like run an errand). Also, I love life but at some point I imagine that all the bad and ugliness in the world would be more than I would want to deal with.

October 21, 2009 at 11:25 pm | Reply
  145. Suzanne Achilles

No, I am not looking forward to my old age. I have recently become a caregiver for older women in an adult foster home environment. I see what age does to bodies; the limitations, forgetfulness, medications required, lack of interest, removal from reality through sleep, arthritic pain and loss of loved ones and loneliness. It is a real eye opener. Sure makes you realize what you are doing to your body that will cause difficulties when you get old.

October 22, 2009 at 12:17 am | Reply
  146. angie

If I could live to be a hundred and never age after 30, in any way, then YES. Otherwise, push me off a dang cliff. I do not want to live feeble and old.

October 22, 2009 at 12:58 am | Reply
  147. Kyle

I think the key to enjoying life is to live for today. The world is not a repeat day after day unless you make it so. Find enjoyment in the small pleaures in life (which is why young kids and old people are generally the happiest) and always find ways to try new things when the opportunity presents itself. I think Lynne and John's comments sum up my hopes for myself the best: I want to live for as long as I can contribute to any one in any way.

October 22, 2009 at 1:12 am | Reply
  148. bob caswell

I would love to live to be 100. I read The Blue Zones book, and believe diet, social, faith, exercise, and attitude will help me reach my goal.
    Why you ask
    1. I have 4 children and love them all. I have 27 grand children, 7 great grand children. I am the patriarch. I love to hear about them and some make me feel like I want to be around to see them marry and raise their own families.
    2. I feel great and have already experienced 9 lives of problems.
    3. I love being a Master Gardener and working in my garden.
    4. I love cooking and have won cooking contests, and love eating.
    5. One of my favorite activities is driving my 06 GT Mustang Convertible 5 speed for fun.
    6. I love to surf, ski, golf, garden, eat, exercise, and consulting work.
    I am 71 and still in the life is fun mode.
    7. I love my faith and very happy the missionaries found me.
    8. I am especially thankful for my heritage, especially my mother, she was like a feminine Jesus Christ.
    9. My goal is to write a book.

October 22, 2009 at 2:31 am | Reply
  149. John D

Live to or past 100? Why? I had never expected to live past 50. So, here I am at 59, unemployed, and sucking up what little money my wife earns. It sucks now, and I certainly do not wish to be doing this for 41 more years.
    Paging Dr. Kavorkian .....

October 22, 2009 at 7:06 pm | Reply
  150. Zuzana

I´d love to live until 120 and why not? My grandfather was almost 84 when he passed away (he was born in 1898) and he used to be heavy smoker at the time he had worked, my grandmother was almost 94 (she was born in 1907), when she passed away in a few weeks after the hard illness, my other grandmother was 95 at that time. Both of them were women, who survived two wars, had a hard life, the first one managed to finished university degree and had three children, the second one was hard working at farm and had 11 children.
    I am 40 and I still feel young, learning new things, keeping occupied in my life – so why shouldn´t I live until 120? 🙂
    Believe me, I would not have a problem to spent all that time reasonably and I think, even more of it.
    Just one remind I use to point out to my colleagues – two decades ago we didn´t know Internet and all other technologies and today we cannot imagine our work without them.
    I believe that technology progress will help us live longer – there are so many things we can learn and we can create.

October 23, 2009 at 12:26 pm | Reply
  151. Vilkas

If you want to live to be 100 or more, then you should have that right. Unless you are abducted by aliens. Then that would hinder any plan to live past 100.

October 23, 2009 at 7:17 pm | Reply
  152. saa

The people who live to be 100 and older will be causing great hardship and starvation on the young ones following. The world population is set to explode far beyond the Earth's capacity to feed them all. We're talking around 9 BILLION by 2040.

I wouldn't enjoy my extended years knowing that. I also don't fear death so much that I'd be that selfish to live so long while the Earth is in trouble due to overpopulation. I also don't want to see most of the animals we love and admire, like the African Lion, become extinct before the century is over - which is pretty much certain. And then there's the energy crisis and all the brutal pollution going on and on....

If you want to live that long, good luck sleeping well at night.

October 27, 2009 at 2:14 am | Reply
  153. Sharon

More and more role models of centenarians are being recognized in America as active, healthy, and even attractive (seriously). We should learn from these people who obviously have a clue about happy, healthy longevity right here in modern America. Take Elsa Brehm Hoffmann, for example, who turned 102 in October 2009 and went on a cruise with friends and her daughter Joan to celebrate! She is active and attractive, and makes people's jaws drop wherever she goes. She was on a Barbara Walters longevity special last year after ABC searched for 2 years to find the 5 best American centenarian role models. Now there is a book about Elsa's secrets to happy, helathy longevity, Elsa's Own Blue Zone. The website about her is ElsasOwnBlueZone.com (see the videos to be inspired!). No need to only look in primative cultures with simple choices for longevity tips - see how the pros do it within the joys and challenges of modern culture! You'll be wowed!

November 2, 2009 at 5:53 pm | Reply
  154. joseps

I just hope to be physically active everyday until I drop dead. Am 14 years retired and now am feeling more aches and pain in my joints daily . Try not to take pain killers daily. Currently active in the Senior Bowling League 3 days a week year round for the last 9 years. Do some volunteer ing. I still maw my lawn, drive my car everyday. Just painted my house. Babysit on demand. Meet old friend on regular basis. Am still assembling computers for my grandkids. The aches and pain is what worries me. But I keep going.

January 1, 2010 at 6:52 pm | Reply