Tune in at 16:00 London, 19:00 UAE

Wizards versus vampires

December 2nd, 2009

Filming on the final two parts of the massively successful Harry Potter series is close to wrapping up in Hertfordshire, UK.

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/12/02/twilight.art.jpg caption="Will the Twilight Saga eclipse Harry Potter as the biggest teen film franchise? "]

The final movie of the seventh J.K. Rowling book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, is a two-part film, whose first instalment is due to be released in November 2010.

Broadcasters have just gotten their first peak at the upcoming mega-hit.

And so the young global superstars borne from the Harry Potter movie franchise – Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint – are looking towards a Harry Potter-less future after a decade growing up together on screen.

But what of the legions of Harry Potter fans around the world? Deathly Hallows broke sales records as the fastest-selling book ever, selling 15 million copies in its first 24 hours.

Where do they find a home now?

At the same time that Harry Potter winds down its amazing run in all medium – print, film and merchandising knock-offs – another mega-series is taking shape: Stephanie Meyer’s Twilight saga about repressed teenage love between a vampire and his high school sweetheart.

The second instalment in the American romantic fantasy film series, “The Twilight Saga: New Moon ,” broke box-office records this November as the biggest single day domestic gross at $72.7 million.

Like the Harry Potter franchise, Meyers’ books are instant best-sellers; the films instant super-hits. The film’s smouldering young British star, Robert Pattinson, has already graced magazine covers. Legions of screaming young girls follow him wherever he appears.

Is Twilight the new Harry Potter?

Can Harry Potter fans transition from wizards to vampires? Will Twilight continue the path blazed by Harry? Or is it just not the same thing?

Filed under:  General
  1. Rebecca

Harry Potter is greater than Twilight!!!! First of all the Potter series has been around much longer than Twilight, therefore it has a larger and more devoted fan base. Second, Twilight is just a mere fad that everyone has become obsessed with, which means sooner or later the fad will die because everyone will become sick and tired of hearing about it.

Don't get me wrong I read all of the books before everyone was obsessed with them, and I thought the books were ok. However, the books were no where near Harry Potter status. Stephanie Meyer wrote a mindless love story where J. K. Rowling wrote and epic tale of good verses evil. And Rowling created the Wizarding World which was no easy feat. Meyer may have created her own Vampire mythology but she did not create another complex world like Rowling did. Without Harry Potter no one would have known who Robert Pattinson was, and he might not have been cast into the role of Edward. So Twihard fans bask in your glory while you can because when the next two Harry Potter films come out they are going to break your oh so precious records.

December 2, 2009 at 2:33 pm | Reply
  2. Tina Marie Brown

So not the same thing! The Potter series was entrenched in a real story, with a villian we could hate, a flawed by loveable hero, and a plethora of interesting side stories. You can't possibly follow that up with angsty, irritating, sparkly vampires.

December 2, 2009 at 2:47 pm | Reply
  3. Steve

Harry Potter for sure! If I want to read about blood-suckers, I'll just log onto this website and check out whats going on on Capitol Hill.

December 2, 2009 at 3:00 pm | Reply
  4. Michael Marascio

Harry Potter

December 2, 2009 at 3:01 pm | Reply
  5. Edward

I think Rebecca (above) said it all, but I'll add something. Comparing Twilight to Harry Potter is like comparing Taylor Swift to Dolly Parton. Being popular for a short while isn't the same as being a legend.

The HP story is amazing in its inventiveness and complexity, and will appeal to anyone who doesn't automatically turn down childrens' or fantasy books (i.e. people without imagination). 20 years from now you may read the books to your children and still enjoy them.

I haven't read Twilight, but I've seen the 2 movies and my wife read the books and told me about them. Teen girls seem to love the tone (and the 2 male lead actors), the rest goes to see the movies only out of curiosity. In a few year's time the people who love Twilight now won't understand why.

December 2, 2009 at 3:03 pm | Reply
  6. reni

You can't compare. Harry Potter is an outstanding movie

December 2, 2009 at 3:18 pm | Reply
  7. dutch guy

Harry Potter requires far more fantasy whilst reading.

But being a Harry Potter fan myself...I must say: I saw Twilight 8x times in two weeks. Because the movie is highly addictive, also because of its music score.

December 2, 2009 at 3:20 pm | Reply
  8. rams

harry poter is a star

December 2, 2009 at 3:23 pm | Reply
  9. Hoya

Harry Potter > Twilight.

December 2, 2009 at 3:37 pm | Reply
  10. Rebecca

On second thought,

I really did enjoy the first two movies in the twilight saga. Although there are only four book in the series I really enjoyed how it didn't seem so fake and unrealistic like the Harry Potter series. Come on, seriously? A school for wizards.

While Dan Radcliffe is an amazing actor he is still a young boy and Robert Pattison has been around before him and did not make his debut for Harry Potter

Overall, Harry Potter will be a decade long fad then disappear, so will Twilight but hey, that's what authors are for!

December 2, 2009 at 3:47 pm | Reply
  11. dudette

Harry Potter and Twilight are completely different series, and to compare the two just doesn't make any sense. While both are fantasy fiction stories and have been huge successes, Harry Potter is essentially a coming of tale story, while Twilight is a romance story. Harry Potter is a well-thought out, detailed story, I mean you can tell J.K. Rowling really thought out this whole story and had a plan and gave her characters closure, while Twilight, no offense to its fans, seems really haphazard. I mean I do like Twilight, but the other 3 books were awfully painful to read. No real storyline or development.

December 2, 2009 at 3:54 pm | Reply
  12. Filipe

Harry Potter > Twilight

December 2, 2009 at 3:59 pm | Reply
  13. HJP

Harry Potter is definitely the better story. Whereas HP was an epic adventure about good and evil, friends, and the different ways of coping with death, Twilight is knocking women back to the dark ages in a story where the main character cannot function if she doesn't have a man in her life. This is what teenagers are reading? Is that healthy? Probably not.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the only reason Twilight received such a huge reader-base so quickly is because the HP fan-base felt lost and empty after the final book came out.

Twilight is a fad that will be over when the final movie comes out, whereas Harry Potter will prove to be a classic like LotR.

December 2, 2009 at 4:12 pm | Reply
  14. Kiki

I think that it is worth mentioning ( and both the fan bases will kill me for this) that neither of these book series are particularly original or well written. Despite this I have read all of the books in both of the series and seen the movies and I enjoyed them all. But the strength of both of these series is how easy they are read and how entertaining they are. This gives both of the series a great chance at continuing to hold onto the fans. However I doubt that either of these series will have the staying power of something like Lord of the Rings or The Chronicles of Narnia since they lack the complexity that can hold the fans for long periods of time.

December 2, 2009 at 4:25 pm | Reply
  15. PennyJig

Wizards. Give me Harry Potter any day.

December 2, 2009 at 4:42 pm | Reply
  16. Carolyn

Twilight by a LONG shot! Twilight is more of a Girl Movie and Harry Potter seems to be more of a Boy Movie.

December 2, 2009 at 4:45 pm | Reply
  17. Sh

Potter, no doubt.

December 2, 2009 at 5:26 pm | Reply
  18. Elke

I prefer vampires, but not the twilight kind.
    I believe that twilight really screwed the whole vampire idea up.
    Way to go Meyer.

December 2, 2009 at 5:29 pm | Reply
  19. Amee

I love them both equally the same. . . .

On one hand we have star-crossed lovers working against all odds to conquer what stands between them, to deliver "true love's kiss."

On the other hand, we have a struggling young wizard who is trying to save "his people," by sacrificing himself. A true hero.

Take a ponder on that! 🙂

December 2, 2009 at 5:32 pm | Reply
  20. Anne

Harry Potter is preferable to Twilight, but mainly because the messages within the books are much better for young adults to be exposed to.

Having read both sets of books, I can say that the Harry Potter world, while extremely fantastical, is based on teaching others that good can prevail over evil. They are novels of hope.

What does Twilight teach? I personally believe Meyer sets feminism back. Bella is not a strong female character. She has no goals in life other than to die for Edward. She practically starves and nearly kills herself when he leaves her. She even rejects the idea of applying or going to college because she believes there is no reason – she only wants to be with Edward, why does she need a college degree? Is that what we really want our 15 year old girls to be reading?

The love story idea is charming. But I would feel much more comfortable with these books celebrity if they portrayed a strong feminine character, who, while in love, can also take care of herself and knows that one man isn't the center of the universe.

December 2, 2009 at 5:45 pm | Reply
  21. Kate

Of course wizards, especially the Harry Potter series. There's no doubt , that Meyer is not such a good writer as Rowling, her book series about vampires revolve around love, what is quite boring after some time. Unfortunately there is a big demand for romances nowadays , but this doesn't change the fact, that the Potter series is the best ever 🙂 – this will always last and fancy for Meyer's books will eventually pass...

December 2, 2009 at 6:08 pm | Reply
  22. Natasha

I agree, The Twilight saga is a fad that will die off after the final movie is released, whereas Harry Potter will be read to children for generations. I grew up reading Harry Potter. Twilight just doesn't interest me whatsoever. If I want vampires, I will stick to Dracula, True Blood and Interview With A Vampire.

December 2, 2009 at 6:09 pm | Reply
  23. Jacqueline

As a long time Harry Potter fan. My first reaction was "HARRY POTTER". But to be honest I will have to give Twilight a chance. The two genres are different, so that makes a difference. in who likes and who dislikes. But be fair and be honest. From this die hard Harry Potter fan. We have room for another delightful love saga.

December 2, 2009 at 6:15 pm | Reply
  24. Sarah

Harry Potter for sure! At least JK Rowling can actually write. Reading Stephenie Meyer's books is just painful. It's hard to believe that English is actually her first language. The Harry Potter story has better plot and character development – you can tell that Rowling actually put some thought into how the story was going to end while she was writing. Harry Potter is just better literature. Symbolism, biblical allusions, parallels to current and historical events – all of these contribute to the greater overarching theme of good overcoming evil. With Twilight, what you see is what you get: it's a story about a girl falling in love with a vampire. There's no depth.

December 2, 2009 at 6:32 pm | Reply
  25. Kunle Olufowobi

I LOVE VAMPIRE 🙂

December 2, 2009 at 6:34 pm | Reply
  26. Luis

No. Twilight's fan base is mainly girls who read it due to its love-ish story and that's why it was has been successful but it wont be enough to make the kind of following that HP series have. But it could still break some records.

December 2, 2009 at 8:09 pm | Reply
  27. Zainab

I totally agree with Elke. Twilight really screwed up the entire vampire myth. Vampires sparkling in sunlight?? Seriously? The whole fascination with vampires is because they are nocturnal...need I say more? How I miss Ann Rice...

I'd root for the Harry Potter franchise any day any time. 10 years from now, people will still be talking about Harry Potter, and it will be a classic which is more than I can say for the Twilight saga. I personally feel Hollywood and the American media has been pushing Twilight down our throats...because the Twilight saga has no real plot. The reviews for New Moon are less than savory...Bella's lines involve a lot of almost incomprehensible stuttering and monosyllabic dialogues...oh I could go on and on. To sum it up, Harry Potter has a wider fan base than Twilight whose fan base is just a sub-section of teenage girls.

December 2, 2009 at 11:58 pm | Reply
  28. Mo

I am a teenager who has read all the books in the Twilight Saga. They are not the best books I have ever read and I do believe that her writing skill are weaker then some. That did not stop me from loving the series though. I am a hopeless romantic who can't help but fall in love with characters and plot of Twilight. On the other hand I have tried to read the Harry Potter series and I just could not get into it. It could be that I was to young or that the "magic" aspect didn't appeal to me. Who Knows.

That is what I love about books. They can be perceived differently by different people. It creates healthy opinions and great conversation! As a teenage girl I must say that Twilight is still my favorite.=)

December 3, 2009 at 1:30 am | Reply