Tune in at 16:00 London, 19:00 UAE

Wednesday's Connector of the Day: Tori Amos

December 8th, 2009

The title of the latest album from Tori Amos – "Midwinter Graces" may sound festive, but it is not a Christmas record.

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/12/08/amos.story.gi.jpg

="Acclaimed pianist and songwriter Tori Amos. "]

Released to coincide with the winter solstice, this collection of songs celebrates the pagan festival.

Much of the album finds Amos reworking and expanding on the traditional Christmas carol, for example “What Child, Nowell” and “A Silent Night With You”

Daughter of a Methodist minister, religion is a common theme in Amos’ work. Her 1994 record “God” was Amos' response to patriarchy and the repression of women through religion.

Noted for the emotionally intensity she puts into her performances, Amos has spent a lifetime exploring god, sexuality and feminism in her lyrics.

She was at the forefront of a number of female singer songwriters in the early 1990s, achieving recognition for songs like “Cornflake Girl” and “A Sorta Fairytale”.

Herself a victim of sexual assault Amos co-founded the Rape Abuse and Incest National Network (RAINN) – a toll-free help line in the U.S. connecting callers with their local rape crisis center in1994. By 2006, RAINN had received its one millionth caller and is now the largest anti-sexual assault organization in the United States.

A social commentator and activist, Amos is the perfect antidote to the anodyne offerings which currently clog up the charts.

Send your questions to Tori Amos and we’ll put the best of them to her on Wednesday’s show.

1. Greg

A Sorta Fairytale had a fundamental impact on my life. A die-hard metal fan, when my girlfriend at the time played it for me it woke me up to other deeply moving music. My question would be – do you (Tori) think that what happened to you is something that you can truly get beyond in life, and move to having a successful loving relationship with someone else, or is it haunting to the point that it prevents you from living a normal life? What do you consider to be necessary to at least allow happiness and trust back in?

December 8, 2009 at 11:45 pm | Reply
  2. Donald

The name of the second song was "A Sorta Fairytale." Just fyi.

December 9, 2009 at 12:04 am | Reply
  3. Nalinesh Arun

Is God a female? Does your god have a name? Would you know anything about a goddess worshipped 30,000 years ago called Tara by many cultures?
    You are the best – pity they made just the one of you.

December 9, 2009 at 12:14 am | Reply
  4. Roxanne

the song was called "A Sorta Fairytale" not "A Kinda Fairytale"

December 9, 2009 at 12:16 am | Reply
  5. Your Mom

You so cooooooooooooooool

December 9, 2009 at 1:04 am | Reply
  6. Garfield Bolt

Hey Tori,

I don't have a question – Just wanted to say Love you! Love you! Love you!

GB

December 9, 2009 at 1:38 am | Reply
  7. k

hi tori! i'm so glad you're coming out with another album!

December 9, 2009 at 1:52 am | Reply
  8. Ben

Hello Tori,
    I've been a fan of yours for years, and your music was my soundtrack 20 years ago when I backpacked around the world. In recent years though, your music has evolved towards more orchestration and away from the raw emotion and musicality of your earlier albums. I believe this has been noted by many of your fans. What are your thoughts on this, and do you think there may be a revisiting of the stripped down early days?
    Thanks, Ben

December 9, 2009 at 3:03 am | Reply
  9. Diane Kahn

I can only think that the world will become a much more difficult place to grow up in ... and that things are not getting/will not get easier. Since Tori has a very young daughter, what does she feel is the most important thing to teach her to survive in it especially since she is female?

December 9, 2009 at 4:21 am | Reply
  10. Sam

The song title is "A Sorta Fairytale" , one quick fact check would have prevented the error.

December 9, 2009 at 4:21 am | Reply
  11. Brian

Hi, Tori! I'd be very curious to know what music you are listening to these days and perhaps which artists or pieces specifically influenced your latest record. Thanks!

December 9, 2009 at 4:24 am | Reply
  12. Dr RatstaR

I love you Tori, will you marry me?

Dr RatstaR

December 9, 2009 at 5:32 am | Reply
  13. scherif

I would like to say to Tori that i love her music & would like to know the process she goes through while writing a song. Do the words dictate the mood of the music or is its just the inspiration of the moment?

December 9, 2009 at 9:03 am | Reply
  14. franklin O

i love the connector of the day with so much phantasy, infact if i will have her to be my girlfriend for life i cross my heart for real. thanks connector of the day, i will love to be connected to cnn to meet u.

December 9, 2009 at 1:08 pm | Reply
  15. franklin O

HI TORI, I LOVE TO COMMENT ON SCHERIF COMMENT. THANKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS,U ARE TALENTED.

December 9, 2009 at 1:19 pm | Reply
  16. mary

hi tori just want to say your music has been a part of my life for a long time now. I don't have a question or anything though, just wanted to say hi, and tell you I have been a long time fan.

December 9, 2009 at 2:47 pm | Reply
  17. Merwick Atikpo

Hi Tori,
    I want to know, your father being a Methodist Minister and yourself a circular singer now singing love, sex and others full of profane stuff, don't you think all those who saw you grow in a christian home fell they've been let down by your switch from living a ministers daugther kind of life to sing what exactly your dad might have preached against?

December 9, 2009 at 3:17 pm | Reply
  18. Jennifer

With all the touring you've been doing, are you looking forward to some "down time" for the holidays?

December 9, 2009 at 3:19 pm | Reply
  19. kate

LOVE U TORI!!!!!!!!!

December 9, 2009 at 7:49 pm | Reply
  20. Hamilton

Hi tori,
    Do you think there is a new movement of spiritual awakening regarding mother nature ?

December 9, 2009 at 9:17 pm | Reply
  21. T'na

I love your view of God and the male/female aspects. I have a 4 year old that is very curious about God and death – as a fellow mom, how have you explained this to your daughter? How do you explain that life is never-ending?

December 9, 2009 at 9:35 pm | Reply
  22. Andrew Harvey

Do people often recognize you in Cornwall or in the USA? Or are you able to get away with keeping a low profile in public?

December 9, 2009 at 11:45 pm | Reply