Tune in at 16:00 London, 19:00 UAE

Friday's Connector of the Day: Barry Manilow

February 4th, 2010

Barry Manilow has been a music icon for nearly four decades and still hasn't missed a beat.

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/02/03/barry.blog.gi.jpg caption ="Barry Manilow has entertained audiences for decades."]

The well known singer-songwriter is most famous for his wide range of songs - from "Mandy" to "Copacabana" - and his very unique stage presence.

Born in America, Manilow has worked with artists including Bette Midler, Dionne Warwick and Rosemary Clooney.

In 1978, Manilow had five of his albums simultaneously on the best-selling charts and he has a number of awards including two Grammy's, three American Music Awards and two Emmys.

Manilow has just released his 16th record titled "Greatest Love Songs of All Time" which is available now.

Here's your chance to ask Barry Manilow your questions.

Do you want to know how he's survived on the stage for so long? Who his favorite musicians of today are?

Please post your questions below.

1. Lucia

Barry Manilow you are a wonderful singer, your new album is fantastic, and you have a huge fan club abroad, would you come to perfomer some concerts in Brazil, please?

February 4, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Reply
  2. Laura

Barry, I have been trying to find out the answer for this, awhile now. I'm sure it's been answered before, and I may have missed it somewhere-
    In the song, Could It Be Magic, when you say, 'sweet Melissa', was this, just a random name that you chose for the song, or, were you speaking of Melissa Manchester? Thank you oodles.

February 4, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Reply
  3. ellen

Dear Barry,

You always say do thing for the doing without being attached to the results, always follow you heart when you make decisions and don't ever give up your dreams. I have alwasy clung to that advice you have given me over the years and it has always worked out beautifully in the end.With that being said, I was wondering if you have ever wavered from tha advice yourself and been attached to the results, or have your heart fighting with your brain and have your brain win in the end, and is there a dream that you have that you have given up on ? I hope not. :)Thank you so much for everything. I will always hold those 3 lessons in my heart and mind. God bless you.
    with all my love & respect,
    Ellen

February 4, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Reply
  4. Maria

Hi Barry,

Being a newbie fan, what keeps you motivated to continue with the music and entertaining?
    Thanks, love Maria x

PS: Are you coming back to England anytime soon?

February 4, 2010 at 6:21 pm | Reply
  5. Cecilia

Dear Barry,

I have been a big, big, big fan of yours all my life. I literally grew up with your music and the lyrics motivated me when I was learning English. I was in the front row when you gave a concert in Mexico City and wonder if you are ever coming back – I'm not sure if I'll ever make it to Las Vegas although money and visa are not the problem. Is there any way I can send you a letter and perhaps a painting (I'm an artist although not a professional one).

Regards, Cecilia

February 4, 2010 at 6:51 pm | Reply
  6. ambrose anyebe

as an artist, where do u source your inspiration? and what can i do so as 2 impact my world positively in a massive way as the likes of yourself?

February 4, 2010 at 6:55 pm | Reply
  7. Chinedu steven

When did u join music industry,(2)what is d source of ur inspiration.

February 4, 2010 at 6:56 pm | Reply
  8. Isabella

Barry,
    Can you enlighten myself and others as to what songs are in the "VAULT". Seems to be differing opinions as to whose (your originals/covers) songs are stored in the vault. Could enlghten us? Thanks and CONGRATULATIONS on your latest trip down the road to success.

February 4, 2010 at 7:00 pm | Reply
  9. YBA

Hi Barry – I've got two for you:

Why is it such a big deal for a musician that their creations not be 'commercial'? What does 'commercial' even mean and why is it such a four-letter word?

You've heard for years about how your music has affected peoples' lives. What is the line (or is there a line?) between a flattering description of the effect your music has had, and being saddled with a responsibility you didn't sign on for, or is otherwise just really inappropriate?

February 4, 2010 at 7:12 pm | Reply
  10. sonia mollet

Hi Barry!
    Been a fan now for 27yrs and have seen you several times in concert! I would like to know how you wind down after a concert? do you find it hard to sleep? Just curious, you know, in this world we live in with several people who have insomnia and rely on prescripts or sleeping pills and such..

Your greatest fan,
    Sonia

February 4, 2010 at 7:13 pm | Reply
  11. Mandi K.

Hello,

I have heard many stories as to what your song, "Mandi" was about... can you tell me what it was about!!! Some of the rumors I heard made my 4th grade year rough! ha ha

Thank you!!

February 4, 2010 at 7:13 pm | Reply
  12. Bishop Eburue

hi barry, i like ur song its full of creativity & i love creativity. Especially ur album. keep it up for it is highly educative & the massage their in is well understood. How can it get to me?(ur album). May GOD be with you always. love you.

February 4, 2010 at 7:18 pm | Reply
  13. fibrowitch

Oh my, so many questions I would love to ask him.

1- Are we going to get an album of original music any time soon. Yes I get the cover albums, but I do so miss hearing you sing your own compositions.

2- Considering your respect for music, your years of studying piano and musical theory, what are your feeling about the use of auto tune and lip syncing in concerts. I remember how mad you were about MV, and how you used your fan club magazine to unmask another lip syncing group.

3- Many musicians today use the internet to connect with fans, Have you ever considered blogging, or twitter to connect with your fans? Perhaps give those of us starved for new music a chance to hear a few things that might not make Clive Davis happy, but would make our day?

February 4, 2010 at 7:38 pm | Reply
  14. Sherri

Now that you have released the Decades cds and now the Greatest Love Songs of All Time. Will you break away from this and record a cd of original material ? If so when will it be released?
    Thanks,
    Sherri

February 4, 2010 at 7:55 pm | Reply
  15. Pam

I was lucky enough to meet you in September before your Hilton show. You even danced with me, and it was a moment I shall never forget. I forgot, however, to ask you about the status of Harmony. I would love to hear it is upcoming for the next season on Broadway. Please say it is!!!

Love you....forever and a day,

Pam

February 4, 2010 at 8:17 pm | Reply
  16. Ray

Hi Barry,

When I was 5 or 6 years old my parents took me to see you perform at Sun-City in South Africa. Later that night we were eating dinner and you were there too – I was urged to get your autograph which you kindly provided.

My Q....What were your thoughts on Sun-City and South Africa in general in the 1980's?

Ray

February 4, 2010 at 8:29 pm | Reply
  17. Kitty Piper

Hi Barry,

You have covered so many different styles of music in your recording career. Have you ever thought about writing, arranging and recording an entire cd of classically inspired Manilow music (i.e. Chopin inspired "Could It Be Magic," Rachmaninoff inspired "If I Should Love Again," etc) in the styles of Bach, Brahms, Haydn, Mozart and other classical composers?

Much thanks,

Kitty

February 4, 2010 at 8:45 pm | Reply
  18. Dennis

Lucky to catch you on RR`s show and to hear you SING!
    Very few classy singers like you today!
    Thanks so much.

February 4, 2010 at 8:56 pm | Reply
  19. Amy

Barry,

Have your plans to bring Harmony to Broadway been abandoned, or is there still hope we'll get to see your name in lights on the Great White Way?

Amy

February 4, 2010 at 8:56 pm | Reply
  20. Sheila Vinson

Hi Barry...

First of all Congratulations on the new CD and your new gig at the Paris. You truly are one of the brightest of bright lights in the Music industry. Now that you truly are a "seasoned veteran" in the industry. What is the biggest difference that you see in the music industry now as opposed to when you first started and/or what is the biggest difference in yourself as a musician now than when you first started years ago.

All the best with the new show and I hope to see you really soon. Take great care.

Sheila

February 4, 2010 at 8:59 pm | Reply
  21. Mario

Esteemed Barry,

I have several recordings and concerts from you which I have the pleasure to enjoy with my wife. Being 34 and my wife 27, your performances always are timeless to us and leave us longing for another one.
    Thank you! you're the one who writes the songs that makes us sing to another wedding anniversary each year!
    God bless you.

Mario Bautista
    (Guatemala)

February 4, 2010 at 9:00 pm | Reply
  22. Tetusi Masiko

Hello
    I retired at 59 years old.
    I heard your many songs so far.
    I respect that You are playing an active part in most famous artist for many years.
    I continue hearing your song from now on.
    Tetusi Masiko
    Thanks

February 4, 2010 at 9:01 pm | Reply
  23. Helen Rohe

Barry, I just want to say thank you for all the beautiful music you have brought into our lives. Your music has brought me through some of the darkest times of my life. My question is this; when you are down and feeling blue what lifts you up and gets you going again? I love your new album. May God bless you and keep you in good health.

February 4, 2010 at 9:39 pm | Reply
  24. Alanne

Barry: Congratulations on your wonderful career and your newest CD. You have recorded and performed duets with many great musicians. Who is still on your list of "I want to perform/record with ... ?"

February 4, 2010 at 9:55 pm | Reply
  25. Jack H

Hi Barry,

If memory serves me right, I remember hearing you in a recent interview you do not enjoy food. Recently another friend of mine said the same of her mom and I thought of you. Can you elaborate on your position of eating/food?

February 4, 2010 at 10:10 pm | Reply
  26. Kimberly Allison

In a word – HARMONY?

Kudos to you on all the work you are doing focusing the attention onto the tragic state of affairs of the music programs in schools. (MANILOW MUSIC PROJECT)

Along that same train of thought –

Being around these talented young people – have you ever stopped to wonder – What type of father would I have been? Could I have balanced the career and fatherhood? Do I feel I have missed anything in my life by NOT having children?

All my love, Kimberly

February 4, 2010 at 10:19 pm | Reply
  27. Brandon

Barry, I was exposed to your music through my parents' vinyl collections as I grew up in the 80's; I've been a closet fan ever since. As a musician, I've been most fond of your songwriting and arranging, you do some chordal stuff that is just outstanding (When October Goes, wow.) However – your albums in the past decade since Here At the Mayflower seem to be largely new recordings of old songs with very little new arranging or writing. I just wondered if I might look forward to anything wonderfully new from your pen and not just your voice?

Also, thank you for giving me and my piano a song for every possible romantic situation.

February 4, 2010 at 10:30 pm | Reply
  28. Gessika Rovario-Cole

My nine year old, Samantha (a third-generation fan), has two questions for you.

What's your favorite wild animal?

I'm glad you like Lady Gaga. I like her too...have you ever had a chance to meet her?

Thank you.

Gessi & Sammy

February 4, 2010 at 11:08 pm | Reply
  29. Linda

Hello Barry,
    With all the time your on the road, writing and concerts what do you for hobbies?

Congrats on your long & prosperious as a singer.
    Linda

February 4, 2010 at 11:34 pm | Reply
  30. Okpapi Osigbemhe

hi Barry,
    your songs are very inspirational, i just hope u dont give up the good work very soon.

much love.

February 4, 2010 at 11:42 pm | Reply
  31. Michelle

Hi Barry...
    I've been a fan for 35 years.
    While I love the cover songs you've been doing the last five years, I really miss hearing YOUR music.
    I heard you speak once about working on a project called "15 Minutes". is that still in the works, or is their any original music from you in the works and can you tell us about it?
    Thanks!

February 4, 2010 at 11:52 pm | Reply
  32. Tiffiny

After all of these years, does it ever surprise you how faithful and enthusiastic your fans still are?

(I, myself am a life-long fan! I just saw you in Chicago in Dec.)
    Tiffiny – Sleepy Hollow, IL

February 4, 2010 at 11:58 pm | Reply
  33. Linda

Hi Barry,

Thanks for the years of music that moves the soul!
    Wondering if you have ever considered recording Somewhere Over the Rainbow. It think that song with your arrangement and your voice would be awesome.

February 5, 2010 at 12:02 am | Reply
  34. Jonathan

Hi Barry,

What do you think is the most memorable and dramatic concert you ever held? If there is a lot, name a few. Thanks and more power!

February 5, 2010 at 12:32 am | Reply
  35. Dawn, Mesa Arizona

Hi Barry,

What songs didn't make it on the Greatest Love Songs of All Time CD that you would love to do if the opportunity presents itself?

Dawn

February 5, 2010 at 12:36 am | Reply
  36. Annie Lian

Hi Barry,

Just want to know if you ever forget the words to a song while you are singing it?!

February 5, 2010 at 12:43 am | Reply
  37. Maggie

HI Barry....as valentines day approaches, I am wondering if there is a special someone in your life?

February 5, 2010 at 12:49 am | Reply
  38. Martha

Barry~

When you first step onstage and the spotlight illuminates you, is your
    heart racing (like ours) and do you still get butterflies or is that a thing of the past? Congratulations on your newest cd and keep making beautiful music....no one does it like YOU!

A long-time fan~
    Martha

February 5, 2010 at 12:50 am | Reply
  39. mallene

hi barry...am from philippines, i was a kid when i hear your songs ever and over on the radio....and i memorize it by heart.....often wonder how u have been doing in ur career and personal life.......ur songs just touches my soul in many ways...wish i can hear u talk and just like ordinary friends...

be safe!
    mallene

February 5, 2010 at 1:31 am | Reply
  40. Sandra Hansen

You seem to be so happy with your carreer choice and love the music so much, you have commented many times that your music is your life. But is there anything in life you wish you hadn't missed out on, and if you could, would you go back and change anything to try and have that one thing in your life now? Whether it be a person, a place, a thing, or a moment. Thanks for your time and especially thanks for music and the enjoyment and peace it has brought to so many.

February 5, 2010 at 2:50 am | Reply
  41. Uduojie ose fr NIGERIA

Hi barry, i am young so i wudnt say i heard ur music in d 80s, ur musics are lovely. My Q is, In ur music COPACABANA is it a music slang & if it is not were did u get it from cos it LOVELY. Thanx

February 5, 2010 at 3:34 am | Reply
  42. Rose

Barry
    I have been loving Manilow TV they are fantastic shows. I was wondering if your music videos from the early years might be put on a DVD?? You know the ones. Some kinf ofFriend, lets Hang On, Pleas Dont be Scared..etc...etc....I can almost guarantee this will fly of the shelves....so do think it might be possible some day???? oh and 1 more wuestion....are you planning on a sequel to Sweet Life any time soon?????

Thanks
    Always and forever...Forever and a Day

February 5, 2010 at 3:51 am | Reply
  43. Gail Van Bergen

Barry:

Since your career is now technically entering its 5th decade (Really! Think about it – 70's, 80's, 90's, 2000's, 2010's), I was wondering if you would revisit each decade and let us know: 1) What one thing are you most proud of accomplishing from each decade? and 2) If you could change something from each decade, what would it be?

A fun/strange note about the Paris that I'll bet you didn't know – they run tapes of bad "pick-up lines" in the public restrooms – first in English and then translated into French. (See what you're missing?) It would be a hoot if you would pick one and use it at some point during your new show!

Best of health to you this year –
    Gail

February 5, 2010 at 4:13 am | Reply
  44. Bashorun

Am a Nigerian i realy enjoy listening 2 ur music,how do cope wt piracy.

February 5, 2010 at 4:29 am | Reply
  45. Diane Howitt

Barry, Any chance as to coming down here ( Australia) this year or next year 2011. I would love for you to tour here again.
    Love Diane.

February 5, 2010 at 4:37 am | Reply
  46. Dana

Barry, my friends and I have followed you for many years and I wanted to know what gives you inspiriations to write a song.
    Thank you for all that you have wrote and sung.

February 5, 2010 at 4:45 am | Reply
  47. May McNicol

Hi Barry I"m writing from Adelaide Australia.

I've seen your concerts 3 times (UK. Adelaide and Iast one in L Vegas). After dancing whole night in Vegas at your concert, I now require a knee replacement but it was worth it and the orthopaedic surgeon thought it was hillarious. Coming back in January to Vegas (with new knee) and hope you are still performing so I can see yet another of your brilliant shows. My husband loves you too. Going out to buy the new CD today. All the best, x

February 5, 2010 at 5:23 am | Reply
  48. Brian Au

Dear Barry,

Why don't you change your name to Harry Manjello?

Yours Truly,
    Brian Au of Manassas, Virgninia

February 5, 2010 at 5:27 am | Reply
  49. Dave W. in Portland, OR

The question that's been hanging for 25+ years from Billy Crystal (as Fenando Lamas) when Barry failed to appear on Saturday Night Live in 1980-something: "So, tell me Barry, what is it like to be trapped as a prisoner in the castle of love?"

February 5, 2010 at 5:52 am | Reply
  50. simon

Dear Barry, Is it true you were Bette Midler's backup pianist once? What's story? BTW, Even Now is still such a great song and Copacabana always makes me want to boogie!

February 5, 2010 at 6:29 am | Reply
  51. Mark

Dear Barry
    I grew up in with your music and continued even when my peers regarded you uncool.

Now as a parent with a teenage daughter and pre-teen son, they are discovering the beauty of 'their dad's music' thanks to the TV series Glee.

Is there any chance of you letting Glee access to your music.

I have no doubt that this will open your music to a whole new generation.

Keep making the whole world sing Barry

Mark from Singapore

February 5, 2010 at 6:36 am | Reply
  52. Mel Gibson

Dude, who cuts your hair?

February 5, 2010 at 7:21 am | Reply
  53. emmanuel c. salcedo

Hi Barry,

I am one of your fanatic fans in Davao City, Philippines. I really love your songs especially "Weekend New England" and Mandy.

Please make a schedule concert in Davao City, Philippines. It is one of the best City in the Philippines.

Manny

February 5, 2010 at 7:34 am | Reply
  54. emmanuel c. salcedo

Manny

February 5, 2010 at 7:35 am | Reply
  55. Jack

Barry Manilow II was my first LP in 1974! I was a budding pianist and you were a great inspiration. I was wondering: so many people have covered your music – what are some of your favorite covers of your own music?

And do you still have beagles?

February 5, 2010 at 7:41 am | Reply
  56. Mona

Hi Barry:

I am from India and have heard many of your songs and love them too. Will you be performing in India ever?

– Mona

February 5, 2010 at 7:46 am | Reply
  57. Ebenezer onyekere

Dear bary i lik som of ur albulms

February 5, 2010 at 8:29 am | Reply
  58. Joanne

Hi Barry,

Congratulations on all your recent successes with the new CD and appearances. You are finally being widely recognised and honoured by many institutions whose lives you have touched with your generosity.
    My question is: When you put together an album do you deliberately work with a theme or does it just happen to turn out that way: for example The Greatest Songs of the Seventies shouts out friendship to me and the 1980 Barry Manilow album is full of hope?
    It's a question I've been wondering about for some time!

Can't wait for the Paris!! Good luck on opening night.

Joanne

February 5, 2010 at 8:46 am | Reply
  59. Diane

Hello Barry, Will you marry me----pleassssssssssse

February 5, 2010 at 9:37 am | Reply
  60. Marlen Y. Apostol

Dear Barry,

I am one of your die hard fans here in General Santos City, Southern Philippines since I was in high school.

I have a few questions for you?

1.) Do you have any plans of having a concert here in the Philippines? If yes, when and where? I hope you will include Gensan.

2.) The messages of your songs are very powerful...Where do derive such tender emotions?

For me, you are the best male performer of my lifetime. I look forward to your new recordings. All the best and God bless.

Best regards,

Leng

February 5, 2010 at 9:41 am | Reply
  61. Rach

I'm an avid fan. Will you be performing again in the Philippines?

February 5, 2010 at 10:03 am | Reply
  62. Vusi Mlungwana

wow what a long and graet journy. I went n got your cd today and your music is wonderfull but you never came South Africa?

February 5, 2010 at 11:32 am | Reply
  63. Heloisa

Hi Barry!

I am also from Brazil, and I would love you to come sing here.
    Any possibility?

Thanks

February 5, 2010 at 11:36 am | Reply
  64. Brenda Meskunas

If you could perform somewhere in the world where you have never been, where would it be?

February 5, 2010 at 11:47 am | Reply
  65. Jason Mashak

Barry, your album 2:00am Paradise Café is on my list of top jazz albums - it's a direction you should continue to explore, as you've a strong gift for weaving melodic constructions into a complex whole. Encore!

February 5, 2010 at 12:04 pm | Reply
  66. Meg

Hi Barry,

I, like many others on this forum, grew up with your music, and still enjoy listening to it today. There is something timeless about it that makes it so fun to listen to, even now (no pun intended!).

However, music has changed quite a bit in the last decades, and has become something that, it seems to me, has to be packaged, processed and sold. This commercialism overshadows the importance and creativity of the music itself. There are many artists still making great music today, who show imagination and real talent, but these are usually veteran artists with an established reputation, who may have more influence over the music that gets recorded. However, there are many more who are only singing what their record companies tell them to sing, purely for the sake of profit.

So my question to you is: do you think the "golden age" of music is over, or do you think the music industry may be able to save itself from its own cannabalistic commercialism? And then, the more difficult question: how?

Best Regards,
    Meg

February 5, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Reply
  67. Sue

As a mature artist, do you feel a responsibility to share music that younger people may not have been exposed to? Do you think the public is ready to accept original music from you or is it only your fan base that will accept original projects?

February 5, 2010 at 12:27 pm | Reply
  68. Bardsbabe

Mr. Manilow,

I have been a fan all my life, your music I still enjoy and sing along with and have passed the love of your music to my child. Myself and other members of my family would like to know if you will ever do a concert date in Iowa or Minnesota in the not so distant future?

February 5, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Reply
  69. Diane Bisesti

Hi Barry,
    Enjoyed being in the audience at the QVC show. Love the new cd, especially the harmony on Nevertheless. (takes me way back).

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? Hopefully, still making your beautiful music! I can't imagine you not doing so.

Good Luck at the Paris and I hope to see you there again soon!!

Love,
    Diane

p.s. the french lesson in the rest room is hilarious!

February 5, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Reply
  70. Luis

Why, Barry, why?

February 5, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Reply
  71. Uche Ernest

Dear Barry you have been a very big fan to me i whant to let you no that i have been listening to you music for a long time & i want you to countinously makening pround with your songs.thanks uche ernest

February 5, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Reply
  72. Sharon

I notice that, except for your own voice on one song, you didn't use any background singers on the new CD. Was this a conscious decision from the get go, or did you try to use background singers and decide that wasn't working? Thank you for taking these lovely, classic songs and breathing new life into them, the lush arrangements and orchestration lend an entirely new dimension to them.

February 5, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Reply
  73. Debbie

Barry, I've been a fan of yours for over 30 years having grown up in the States. Now I live in Israel. I suggest you come on a trip to Israel to connect with your Jewish roots and see our beautiful country.
    Also I think you should do a concert here. Any chance of that happening???

February 5, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Reply
  74. Jack

Where is your favorite place to perform live? Smoky clubs, outdoor pavillons, concert halls, stadia with huge crowds...?

February 5, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Reply
  75. CHRISTINE

hello from greece.what can i say but a very big thankyou for my peersonal 63 yrs of listening to your great voice.,not likely that im going to get another 63 b
    ut ill still be listening for as long as i can.thanks and stay well

February 5, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Reply
  76. Patty Sánchez from Mexico

My Dear Barry: First of all I thank God that you exist. i'm 47 and I've got all your music with be since your first album.Thanks for being with me during my teenager years, my wedding and divorce.Eventhough I couldn't afford to assit to your concert in Mexico some friends of mine got for me the t-shirt of this concert with your "thanks" message printed on it. I keep it very deeply, among my treasures.
    Could you please consider making a CD with Barry White's music ? You two are my favorite singers and I would love to have you two "toghether" someway. I apoligize for my English I know it´'s very bad.
    Thank you for everything Barry M. , ....Thank you very much¡

February 5, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Reply
  77. pinky

hi Barry
    do you have a dog at the moment?
    can you write something for two beloved furry friends whom i lost recently? im still grieving over them.
    their names are Sandy and Choco.
    thank you.

February 5, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Reply
  78. Deby

Barry, just how did you get to be so awesome? I love your music!

February 5, 2010 at 4:06 pm | Reply
  79. cindy bentley

please please stop smoking.

February 5, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Reply
  80. mary

Hi Barry,
    I love your new cd. Thank you.

mary

February 5, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Reply
  81. MICKYG.

My love,Barry.

I was 12 yrs old when your music touched my heart i did no knew inglish but there was a deep feeling everytime i hear you songs i was happy, and excited ,30 years have pass and i still feel the same.
    I saw you in atlantic city first row ofcorse! few years ago and give you flowers, did not get to kiss your cheeck that is okay. My boyfriend at that time was so happy for me that he took my back to see you again next day and i have the same exact feeling over again,It was great!!

Question do you ever feel this way for someone that you really dont even know ?and who is it?

I love you but soul to soul only, will love a hug from you before i die!!
    please.

February 5, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Reply
  82. Donna Abrams

Hello Barry!

You once told a story about Frank Sinatra saying to the press about you "He's next!" Who do you think will be "next"? Who do you think will still bring in the crowds when he or she performs in Las Vegas in 2040?

Come back to do a show in New York City ... we miss you here!

Best wishes,
    Donna Abrams

February 5, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Reply
  83. Gregor

Mr Manilow,

I'd be interested in knowing whether you take formal singing classes or do other exercises (which?) to keep your voice in form.
    Best regards
    Gregor Heinrich
    (currently residing in Mexico)

February 5, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Reply
  84. ladylynnel

Hi Barry, congrats on your new Las Vegas show. I have loved your music for quit some time. Saw you on the Jonathan Ross show and you are amazing. It's great to see so many entertainers, who are baby boomers and slightly older, still going strong today. What's the secret to your success (sorry if this has been asked before)?

February 5, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Reply
  85. paula

barry
    i have always loved "Mandy" it is such a poetic song, did u write it and if so what inspired you?

February 5, 2010 at 5:36 pm | Reply
  86. Cathy

Mr. Manilow, Do you have any idea how many people you make smile every day when one of your songs comes on in a mall, office, restaurant, or radio? I surely hope you do! Your talent has lifted my heart, soothed my spirit and put a song in my heart. Thank you!

February 5, 2010 at 5:40 pm | Reply
  87. Ana

Barry,

As someone who has been listenning to your songs my whole life through and enjoyed each and every beat of them all I've got only one question for you: What are the most desirable dreams you have? And if you dream your songs or they just come to you when you are most inspired or like most artists when you are going through some tough times?

And always remember: Life IS a beach, like a Copa pitch!!

Love,

Ana

February 5, 2010 at 5:49 pm | Reply
  88. Wendy Dresser

Hi Barry -

Hope this finds you doing well.

The new CD is absolutely wonderful...especially the bonus CD, which was kind of like going on a little musical journey with you...from the very beginning, the middle (the 1980's) and the present. Thank you for sharing that with us.

I was just wondering...How is the other CD that you are working on...15 minutes...coming along?

Take care - Wendy Dresser

February 5, 2010 at 5:51 pm | Reply
  89. Rozanne T. Petrycki

Good Day Barry!

When you are asked by people what is your favorite song, you usually say that it's "Could It Be Magic" which I must firmly agree is mine,

Now, of all the albums/cd's that you have made, which of THOSE is your favorite?

My ALL-TIME Favorite is "Scores.."

Thank you!

Love,

Rozanne.

February 5, 2010 at 6:01 pm | Reply
  90. Michael Dubowski

You look awesome. Do you hit the weight room or do you do aerobics and tai chi? Keep it up!

February 5, 2010 at 7:31 pm | Reply
  91. Paul Fortune

Barry,
    I've seen you twice in concert-once in Hong Kong and once in LA-
    when are you coming back to HK,
    and the real question is:
    Which of your own top 40 singles are your ten personal favourites?
    Thnx-
    Paul
    🙂

February 5, 2010 at 7:46 pm | Reply
  92. Max- you know who

Barry,
    It's been a long time you have been over the pond in Europe. exclude the UK, of course..
    Lots of european fans ask us why don't you come over for 2 or 3 shows. For instance in the Netherlands. Is there any change??
    Max.

February 5, 2010 at 7:47 pm | Reply
  93. Tracy T

Hi Barry!

Congratulations on the success of your latest CD. As usual, your selections got me digging through my collection of sheet music, and researching a couple tunes I didn't know. I always learn something new from you. I just wish the CD's liner notes had carried the copyright dates of ALL the songs, not just "When You Were Sweet Sixteen," to show the breadth of the decades of popular music you encompassed on this album.. And I wish your media interviews would point out that these "greatest" love songs were written by some of the greatest COMPOSERS ever as well. And Barry, I think YOU are a great composer too, and I love playing YOUR music on my piano, I have for 35 years! But some of your works aren't available in sheet music...is there any hope of getting the score to "Harmony", the "Mayflower" songs, or even the adorable "Christmas Is Just Around the Corner", in sheet music form? I would love to have these songs and many others previously unpublished. Thank you. See you soon!

February 5, 2010 at 8:30 pm | Reply
  94. kristian in Finland

Welcome visiting to Finland.

Your best song is MANDY and my best friends doughter is MANDY too. I put your song during her birthday and that song really made it BIRTHDAY for the girl.

Best regards and God blessings

February 5, 2010 at 8:42 pm | Reply
  95. Linda K.

Barry
    Will we ever get to hear the rest of the songs you wrote with Johnny Mercer someday?

February 5, 2010 at 8:46 pm | Reply
  96. Robert

Have you ever felt discriminated against?

February 5, 2010 at 8:57 pm | Reply
  97. Gillian

Hi Barry,

Thank you for all the years of beautiful music you have given us. Your music helps me "make it through the rain."

Do you still keep a journal and if so do you write it the old fashioned way on paper or do you use a computer now?

Also after owning beagles in the past why did you then switch to Lab's?

See you at the Paris in May.

Wishing you Health and Happiness always.
    Love Gillian

February 5, 2010 at 9:07 pm | Reply
  98. LauraAnn Millard

Barry, Since Episode #4 received such great reviews and it would be a perfect compliment to the Music and Passion DVD, would you consider making that one particular Episode into a DVD. Would make a killing and everyone would buy it. We all love it. Please consider. Thanks for listening. LA

February 6, 2010 at 1:29 am | Reply
  99. karen Shegogue

Hi Barry, I have been a fan since the 70's and you are an inspiration to me and so many others. I have been to Vegas to see your shows when you performed at the Hilton. Barry, your music has ment so much to me and has made such an impact in my life. I am looking forward to seeing you at the Paris in May. I want to congratulate you on your new CD and the great success. I would like to ask if you have heard anything more about Harmony? , it seems like it has been a long time since we heard any news. Keep making beautiful albums and looking forward to great things to come for you. Love Karen

February 6, 2010 at 2:30 am | Reply
  100. Bonnie

Hi Barry,

I must say that I'm loving this new album. It's so wonderful that you are bringing back to life some of the old standards.

My question to you is: Have you ever considered doing a cover album of Cole Porter songs or a series of albums, each one dedicated to one of the great American composers of yesteryear?

I wish you continued success and look forward to seeing you at the Paris Hotel next month.

Love

Bonnie

February 6, 2010 at 2:44 am | Reply
  101. caroline

Please discuss your spirituality and how it impacts your music. Would be very interested in your understanding how the two interface. Shalom, Caroline

February 6, 2010 at 3:29 am | Reply
  102. Mike

Hi Barry

Warm greetings from Cape Town, South Africa!

Hearing "The Look of Love" done beautifully on the new album makes me think that an album of Barry in Brazil – doing some of the Jobim songs and others with a gentle bossa nova feel (and maybe some rich Claus Ogermann type strings) would sound really great. Especially since the bossa sound is back. What do you think?

February 6, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Reply
  103. Angela

Dear Barry,

I don't have a question; just want to share a few thoughts:

1. Thanks for continuing to do concerts outside of LV; not all of us can get there.

2. I'm very grateful your music has been part of my life for so many years, but being "Barry Manilow" is an awfully big job. I hope you are happy and able to find a moment or two now and then to relax.

3. I also hope someone sees to it that the messages here get shared in the appropriate places. No one can arrange a standard like you and you know the ones worth picking and your voice is still amazing; no surprise then that your covers of great songs from any decade or era/style are all fabulous and do well. BUT, as evidenced here, there are a great many of us who hold dearest songs like: Could It Be Magic, If I Should Love Again, Soon, They Dance, or the entire score of Harmony. It's Barry the Singer/Songwriter we love best.

Thanks for listening. Please sign me–

Waiting (impatiently) for Fifteen Minutes

February 6, 2010 at 7:01 pm | Reply
  104. Jaime

Hi... did u ever think of visiting us, in africa, Angola. My dream iz to see u consolating african orphan.

February 7, 2010 at 10:28 pm | Reply
  105. Name*Pamela Witcher

I am 51yrs old &have listened to your songs since I was around 18yrs old. I have never met you & if I don't your songs are great. your song "Mandy"-I named my daughter "Amanda".

November 4, 2010 at 2:11 am | Reply
  106. vaginas de goma

Amazing issues here. I am very happy to peer your post. Thanks so much and I'm looking ahead to touch you. Will you kindly drop me a mail?

July 8, 2013 at 7:41 am | Reply