Tune in at 16:00 London, 19:00 UAE

Friday's Connector: Naomi Campbell

February 11th, 2010

Naomi Campbell is one of the most well known supermodels in the world - joining the ranks alongside others including Cindy Crawford, Elle Macpherson and Gisele Bundchen.

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/02/09/naomi.blog.jpg caption ="Naomi Campbell."]

Although she is a familiar face in magazines and fashion shoots, Campbell is also well known for her public bursts of anger that have gotten the model into trouble.

She has been arrested a number of times - mainly on charges of assault - and has spent time serving out her sentence through community service and anger management classes.

Most recently, Campbell was arrested in April 2008 at London's Heathrow airport on suspicion of assaulting a police officer after one of her bags went missing.

Although the super model has had a history of run-ins with the law, Campbell has also been a force for good.

Campbell is currently working with the fashion world to help raise money as part of the Haiti earthquake relief effort.

There will be a charity catwalk show with top designers and models in Bryant Park at New York Fashion Week on February 12 and in London on February 18.

Previously, Campbell has raised money for the relief effort after Hurricane Katrina, in Tanzania and Mumbai, India.

"Everyone else is trying to help Haiti, and we wanted to do our part on the fashion side of things," Campbell told Bloomberg. "The response has been overwhelming. No one has said `no' - which means a lot because it's such a busy time with designers preparing their fall collections."

Here's your chance to ask Naomi Campbell a question. Do you want to know about her upcoming charity project or maybe you're more interested in her legal problems?

1. Ella Jay

hello, naomi.
    kudos on all your hard work and recognition over the years.

i would like to ask you, since you now are as well-known for your apparently irrational outbursts of anger and verbal abuse as for your fashion groundbreaking: are these outbursts and attacks due to your sense of entitlement garnered over decades as a successful model, so that you believe that your underlings don't deserve to be treated like humans?

or would you say the problem is it simple anger management issues, such as your actually realizing that the person you are berating or attacking doesn't deserve it, but you just can't help yourself?

thank you for your time, and good luck in your future endeavors.

February 11, 2010 at 6:49 pm | Reply
  2. AK

any plans for marriage and to start a family?

February 11, 2010 at 6:56 pm | Reply
  3. jennifer bushnell

i am a huge fashion fan and have never been able to get into any fashion shows...it would be my dream to go to just the one in new york perhaps...how can someone like me get in? thanks!! jennifer

February 11, 2010 at 6:59 pm | Reply
  4. Canadian

Hello Naomi,

Firstly, condolences on the loss of Alexander McQueen.

My daughter is a young model just starting out. She wants to succeed, but she is conflicted about the social value of fashion, the message that models send to girls who don't have their physical attributes, and of course the perception that models are nothing more than pretty faces.

What do fashion and modelling mean to you, beyond a fabulous lifestyle? What advice would you give to her?

many thanks, Virginia

February 11, 2010 at 7:56 pm | Reply
  5. leslie

What is you opinion about the super-model world today? Why don't we have the greats anymore? Like you or Cindy crawford or Claudia Schifford?
    It feels like models don't have the same strong personalities as they used to

February 11, 2010 at 9:39 pm | Reply
  6. ron

How can anyone as beautiful as you are be so foul tempered in so many ways?? What kind of role model do you think you are providing for so may young girls that want to be "Just Like Naomi"?? I think some anger management therapy and less arrogance would help you a lot

February 11, 2010 at 9:50 pm | Reply
  7. Nonn

Hi Naomi I am a young South African Woman and the firtstime i got to know you was when you did theSales house (the department store in Johannesburg) do you remeber those times? and what i liked about you is that you have been active in charity events in oir country i also want to know if you will still play an active role in our country as you are Tata Nelson Mandela's Honorary granddaughter?

February 11, 2010 at 10:13 pm | Reply
  8. Chimwemwe Ghambi frm Malawi central Africa

I luv u naomi. I luv ur fashion collection. Bravo

February 11, 2010 at 11:10 pm | Reply
  9. Anvish

Given your many years of experience, would you say that being a model is a more profession or more of a life style?

February 11, 2010 at 11:23 pm | Reply
  10. greg

Hi Naomi,
    I got introduced to you at a club in Milan (more than fifteen yrs, ago) during your early modeling periods, afterwards, I’ve never missed any news about you.
    In the past few months, I’ve been worried about your future considering the fact that someday you will just have to say good-bye to the fashion world.
    Could you pls.promise you’ll take care of what you have today so you don’t end-up penniless and abandoned tomorrow? Like most pensioned models of recent years.
    God bless.

February 11, 2010 at 11:42 pm | Reply
  11. Patrice

Hello Naomi and condolences from New Zealand. Without doubt it must be a time of unfathomable grief in the world of fashion.

In light of Alexander McQueen's passing and the extraordinary talent now lost from the world, may I ask you – as one of the key showcasers of such talent and thus a talent unto your own – what makes a fashion designer 'extraordinary'?

I guess I think about George Michael here and how his 'Freedom' video certainly entrenched the brand 'Supermodel' in my psyche: it almost created a chicken/egg scenario ... is it the model to fit the clothes, or the clothes to fit the model? Lady GaGa states she creates her music around fashion ... so would we have 'The Fame' without The Fashion? Would we have had McQueen's designs without the phenomenon of The Supermodel?

I know fashion, like science, is cumulative ... I'd be interested to hear your insider perspective.

With thanks for your time. And our nation's sympathies.

February 11, 2010 at 11:45 pm | Reply
  12. joan

Hi Naomi
    All the best with your Haiti project. That's a nice gesture. My question do you have jamaican family connections? and do you plan to marry, have kids?

February 11, 2010 at 11:49 pm | Reply
  13. Miss New Yorker

Hello Naomi,
    I always admire you and I hope that I can see you in New York fashion week.

February 11, 2010 at 11:58 pm | Reply
  14. vivienne

The world of respect to you for your charity work...my daughter is a model in Toronto also works has a chef and inspire to be a great chef.. I want to thank you for you, a person like yourself makes my child keep working at your goals.Plus keeping a size 2 and the love of cooking she amaze me but your pictures on your wall keeps your going. Thank you again and much love with god blessing.

February 11, 2010 at 11:59 pm | Reply
  15. Adelheid Stein

After your January 2008 trip to Venezuela you allegedly claimed to believe that Hugo Chavez (who you were to inteview for GQ magazine) posed no threat to democracy and/or the integrity of institutions in Venezuela/Latin America. Did the February 2009 referedum change your opinion on Hugo Chavez as a democratic leader? On a more general note, could you describe your first impressions on the socio-economic environment in Venezuela?

February 12, 2010 at 12:06 am | Reply
    • Adelheid Stein

A revised version of this message may be seen below.

February 12, 2010 at 1:28 am | Reply
  16. Adelheid Stein

After your January 2008 trip to Venezuela, you allegedly claimed to believe that Hugo Chavez (who you were to inteview for GQ magazine) posed no threat to democracy and/or the integrity of institutions in Venezuela/Latin America. Did the February 2009 referedum change your opinion of Hugo Chavez as a democratic leader? On a more general note, could you describe your first impressions of the socio-economic environment in Venezuela?

February 12, 2010 at 12:17 am | Reply
  17. Leslie

What was the reason for you going to Venezuela and being ´very tight´ with the left wing President Hugo Chavez for some days?

February 12, 2010 at 12:19 am | Reply
  18. Connie

Is your ego in check? You get your photo taken for a living, you haven't cured cancer you know...

February 12, 2010 at 12:25 am | Reply
  19. pramok

Naomi,

You are one of the most recognized faces in the world of fashion as 'super model'. But so far the what the press and media have given is the darker side of you and your temper and private life. Are you really like what the media have painted you as erratic, self centered and almost too aloof & self glorifying private person ? Please give answer to this fan of yours as I would be disillusioned if you didn't. Incidently – I just love your walk on the ram with that distinct slight incline !

pramok@gmail.com

February 12, 2010 at 3:03 am | Reply
  20. Perol

(from Tokyo)
    What`s your opinion on "fashion and environment"?
    How can we avoid clothes becomming waste after using them.
    What`s your advice on reducing pesticide-grown cotton (putting stress on soil and wild animals` health?)

February 12, 2010 at 4:56 am | Reply
  21. abart

Hello Naomi,

Having lived the life of fashion a fame and all the good and bad things

that come along with it, would you have changed it for a normal life

if you had a second chance?

February 12, 2010 at 5:05 am | Reply
  22. Tay

Hi Naomi

May I ask you: what has been your worst experience as a black model. What advice can you give to young black models who are dreaming to be like you?
    God bless you!
    Tay, Hamburg, Germany

February 12, 2010 at 5:59 am | Reply
  23. kingsley

Hi Naomi,
    I always joke with my wife, that if i had the means and opportunity, i would have married you long before i met her.

Frankly, i don't care what they say about you....each time i see you, i pray that you find happiness, peace and love.

Keep doing what you do best....my warm affections and prayers remains with you.....i wish you love and i wish you a partner who would love you just the way you are.

Be happy, you've got people who love you anyway....

February 12, 2010 at 7:28 am | Reply
  24. Chuks Francis

hello i have alwayz had ds dream of becoming a model or fashion designer.Plz tel me how to go about it.Thanks

February 12, 2010 at 7:50 am | Reply
  25. Mark G Hughes

Hello Ms Campbell.

Why are you such a mean person?

February 12, 2010 at 7:52 am | Reply
  26. Yousif - Cairo, Egypt

Any plans on assaulting yet another house maid/police officer?

February 12, 2010 at 8:00 am | Reply
  27. Mohammed tafida

Hello Naomi, don't you think your bruises with the law had to do with your race?

February 12, 2010 at 8:10 am | Reply
  28. Derin

Hi Naomi,

I know you have worked hard in the past years to get to where you are today. What will you is your memorable work you have done or what will you call you best achievement or a most treasured memory alot your cause of work in the past years?

February 12, 2010 at 8:24 am | Reply
  29. MJ

How have you changed as a result of your time in anger management classes, in community service as a result of inappropriate behavior, etc.?

February 12, 2010 at 8:42 am | Reply
  30. me

Hey Nao,

is it possible for us to date?

February 12, 2010 at 9:09 am | Reply
  31. polly

What did you like most about working with Michael Jackson on the short film, In the closet?

February 12, 2010 at 9:16 am | Reply
  32. Munier

Hi Naomi

Do you think the side-effects of fame and fortune has contributed to you being unhappy and having uncontrollable emotional outbursts?

Munier, South Africa.

February 12, 2010 at 10:31 am | Reply
  33. Munier

How do you feel about being one of very few supermodels of African descent, but yet have very Eurocentric features ?

Munier, South Africa

February 12, 2010 at 10:32 am | Reply
  34. MK-Sierra Leone

Hi Naomi Campbell,

I just have one question for you: Is it true that you are one of the people who benifited from our diamonds from sierra Leone through war crime suspect Charles Taylor or is it that you are only conected to the blood diamond so that those who does not understand the deal believes that the blood diamonds were traded amongs black people?

February 12, 2010 at 11:26 am | Reply
  35. jo

Hi Naomi,

The question from MK-Sierra Leone is very important. Please reply.

February 12, 2010 at 11:30 am | Reply
  36. rick armstrong

Questions about what? I mean really everybody.

February 12, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Reply
  37. Joe

Hi Naomi,
    Can and will you ever publicly appologize to the victims of your outburst? Restitution is one of the bedrock of humanity.
    Joseph,
    Lagos, Nigeria

February 12, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Reply
  38. AbdulQadr Omar

HI. First, congratulations for what you've been doing in Haiti and most importantly jst wanted to know what are you feeling in the stage you are right now. Wish u all de best.

February 12, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Reply
  39. AbdulQadr Omar

HI. First, congratulations for what you've been doing and most importantly jst wanted to know what are you feeling in the stage you are right now. Wish u all de best.

February 12, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Reply
  40. Olalekan Oladele

Hi,Naomi...Sure it's great being a star or you have some little regrets...
    It's great what you are doing to help the victims of the earthquake and all that...But what are you doing to control your anger issue? And what plans do you have for the modelling world this year?
    Wishing you success in all you do..

February 12, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Reply
  41. oprah sagal

is it possible......to meet oprah winfery plz....it's my onley dream that i have ...plz plz i would like to touch her face i'm really a big fan of her....My name is Oprah sagal...and am studding journalism to be just like her ....every one in my college knows that i'm crazy of her ....i always send her messages but, she never reply me which made me crying every day =(.
    you are my last hope please make my dream come true
    Naomi.....you are my hope .i love you and am appreciate it

February 12, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Reply
  42. raul billy

hi Naomi modeling as we all might no is a very tasking profession.do you as a proffesional see it fit or moral to let girls as young as twelve.thirteen,or maybe younger be brought in the modelling world,with issues like nudity and stress associated with tha proffesion?

February 12, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Reply
  43. Yahaya Abubakar

Sweetheart, u r beautiful with great profession. Why do you allow anger over you? Don't you think this will make people especially men to run away from you?

February 12, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Reply
  44. Akanbimustaphao

Hi naomi.
    My question is, what do you do after you are been arrested last by the police.

February 12, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Reply
  45. Emenekwe Okey

What did you enjoy most when you were together with Michael jackson?

February 12, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Reply
  46. uzo

hi naomi, good work for haitians.

February 12, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Reply
  47. Cyimo

Would you be Girl ?

February 12, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Reply
  48. Kirby

I'm sure your closet is full of beautiful clothes. What type of hangers do you use to take care of them?

February 12, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Reply
  49. koroma

please Naomi am also intrested in that diamond question since am also are Sierra Leonean can you please respond to it thanks.

February 12, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Reply
  50. mary johnson

Just because you have looks doesn't give you the right to display anger and attack people. I'ts a shame that you have that self lack of control giving your rare good looks.

February 12, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Reply
  51. Van

HI NAOMI,

The personage like you is need to help the "distress world"
    You are a nice person, a nice model for ever !!!

MERCI ENCORE

A fan

February 12, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Reply
  52. Kareen Awhanjinu

Noami kudos to you in all you have achieved in life as a super model,friend and daughter world icon . You are a very strong female character and millions of yourng girls aspire to be like you which includes me . I would just like to know if you ever have plans of settling down , having a family ,kids and all as you will one day stop modelling .What plans do you have for the future as a super woman after a modelling career.

Peace! ur number 1 fan all the way from Nigeria.

February 12, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Reply
  53. Egeonu Emmanuel

Hi Naomi,pls how old re you? And why re you still single? Pls i'm one of ur big fans & i will love you 2 raise ur own family.Keep up all d gud works;God will never 4get ur gud & great works!!!! I love you Swty.

February 12, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Reply
  54. Ettete Francis Ekong

How did it feel like when you met Mandela?

February 12, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Reply
  55. Fajemiyo nike

Well,ms campbell...i just have dis to say dat i thnk whatever assaults u were say 2 have dne was as a result of u being human.come 2 think of it,many of those wu abuse u 4 it wu r nt celebs do d same nd even worse bt bcus u r a star criticize u.i thnk u shld learn 2 work on ur anger. my question is wat has been ur greatest achievement nd u worst fears?

February 12, 2010 at 6:51 pm | Reply
  56. Tosin Akinwande

Hi honey, at first let me say happy valentine in advance,i want to ask how you feel when you are being arrest public for your outburst.a star top model arrest public to me i think it's not fair,try and operate in the fear of God & under is guideance,ask God to teach you as a superstar how to deal with people. Luv u ...... Tosin 4rum lagos NIGERIA

February 12, 2010 at 8:51 pm | Reply
  57. Jummai H.Ahmed

Hi!Naomi.
    Young,black women like me are v.proud of u no matter what. Go girl!

February 12, 2010 at 9:01 pm | Reply
  58. Jummai H.Ahmed

Hi,Naomi.
    I'm a young black lady who's v.proud of u.

February 12, 2010 at 9:05 pm | Reply
  59. Enoch

Naomi – it was great seeing you in Tanzania doing your thing for charity on the catwalk with the girls from the Face of Africa competition a few weeks ago – you are and will always be a huge inspiration to all women of color. What advice would you give aspiring African models looking to break into the international modeling scene? Where do they start?

February 12, 2010 at 9:27 pm | Reply
  60. Yami

Naomi, I have just been listening to your interview on CNN and it was a pleasure.
    I am glad that we have had the opportunity to see the important and valuable work that you do.
    I remember the first time I saw your photo in a magazine – 1987 maybe – I was so proud of you.
    Do keep up the good work and God bless.

February 12, 2010 at 10:04 pm | Reply
  61. George Amadi

My Dear Naomi, I have and will always love you for your rare modelling talent and hope you will continue to improve in every other aspect as well as trying your level best not to let anybody provoke you, especially in public. Love. George

February 12, 2010 at 11:12 pm | Reply
  62. Charlie Avila

Just leave her alone, she's beautiful.

February 13, 2010 at 3:17 am | Reply
  63. UGWU; sixtus martins ibeabuchi

Dear Naomi,i'v been longing to come across your kind of person.I am a Nigerian,male,28,educated and single. My problem is how to start up an NGO that will give the less- previlege sense of belonging and dignity in my country and diaspora.Their condition makes cry silently each time i see them.Pls,can you extend your kind gesture over here? Thanks. Yours in tears.SIXTUS.

February 13, 2010 at 5:52 am | Reply
  64. BRIAN BUTLER

YOU SEE JUSTICE COME TO THE ONE THAT BREAKS THE LAW! THAT KEEPUS ALL IN LINE, ! SO WE ARE ALL AS EAUAL UNDER THE LAW! BUT THERE A COVERUP! GOING ON THEY DONT WANT YOU TO KNOW! IT ABOUT ABUSE OF THE COURTS, AND THE CRIMES BEING DONE BUY THE JUDGES&LAWYERS! WITH OUT YOU KNOWING! YES IT ALL FACT ON MYSPACE BLOG, SORRY FOR SPELLING! HAY! IAM DISABLE OK! LONG STORY! DONT WANT TO GO THERE! THATS BRIAN BUTLER 55 TONASKET WA, ON MYSPACE, & TWEETS, SO AS I WAS WRITEING! THE COVERUP IS ABOUT A MAN THAT RAN FOR HIS LIFE, HIS! KIDS!& WIFE 20 YEARS YOUNGER THEN THE DOC! DRUG HIM HAD HIN KIDNAP! TO KEEP HIMFROM HIS USA CONSTUTUION RIGHTS! & FREE SPEECH, 7 CIVILRIGHTS! YES IT HAPPEN, EVEN THE WA STATE BAR HELP COVER IT UP! HAY I HAVE AND IT IS RECORED! A EXTORTION OF 1.4 MILL ! BUY A LAWYERS! TELL THE MAN, GAVE ME THE 1.4 MILL, AND I WONT TAKE YOU RIGHTS! FACT! STATE BAR COVER THAT ONE UP! YES THIS HAPPEN! WHY TO DR JAMES ALBERT HARDER, PHD! HE GAVE HIS LIFE TO THE USA!, PASS IT ON !! THE MAN ON A MISSION, IT CAN IT WILL HAPPEN TO YOU!

February 13, 2010 at 9:15 am | Reply
  65. christopher bonsu

Dear Naomi,i have strong passion for modelling and want tobe a model but dont know where to start.i live in london.can you give any contacts for me please.

February 13, 2010 at 6:06 pm | Reply
  66. Chidiebere

Hello how are u and ur buisness i hope all is well.i heard about ur rudness try to stop it

February 14, 2010 at 10:30 am | Reply
  67. Chidiebere

Hello campbell i heard ur about ur bad behaviour which has lead to jail and at the same timd i also heard about ur good work pls try to raise money and help them b/cos it is now that the need our help so lets put hands together and help this poor community

February 14, 2010 at 10:42 am | Reply
  68. Chidiebere

Have ever been sexually harrassed i what did u have to say about it

February 14, 2010 at 10:48 am | Reply
  69. Charlie Avila

Naomi, there are so many envy people. Do not pay attention to what stupid people says about you. We all do mistakes, so continue happily with your daily routine and keep yourself beautiful. I like you!!!.

Good luck, honey.....

February 14, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Reply
  70. prince

i am interester in you

February 14, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Reply
  71. Dongodzy

hi NAOMI, you are a great influence to the world. keep up the good work

February 15, 2010 at 7:31 am | Reply
  72. Nawaz.B.T

WELL,ITS ALWAYS GREAT TO SEE HER AS,I DAILY VIEW HER(IN THE CLOSET),AS FAR AS HER OUT BURST FACE OF REPLY IS QUITE GOOD ENOUGH AS I THINK IT SHOULD BE APPRECIATED THAT SHE HANDLE MEDIA,AND PUBLIC ON WELL STAGE.......KEEP GOING,,,,,,,,,.THEY DESERVE TO LEARN BEHAVE WITH CELEBRITIES.MY QUESTION IS THAT WHEN YOU WILL VISIT PAKISTAN AS PAKISTAN ALSO HOLDIND ESTABLISHED FASHION INDUSTRY(WITHOUT COMPARISON).........AS PEOPLE IN PAKISTAN ,ESPECIALLY STUDENTS OF FASHION DESIGNING LIKES YOUR WAY OF....................OUTSTANDING CAPTURIZATION OF CAMERA FA CE........KEEP GOING.

February 15, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Reply
  73. Daniel

Seriously naomi, i realy wanna know in details, what was it lik meetin MICHAEL JACKSON for the first time and lata geting to knw him.

February 16, 2010 at 2:39 am | Reply
  74. Mikeli

D greatst ingratithude is gratithude unexpress.i like ur kind of spirit 2wards humanity.i need a job.

February 16, 2010 at 4:08 am | Reply
  75. Zita

Hi,am an aspiring model of abt 6.2ft tall,slim and fair in complexion.pls advice me on hw 2 become a super model.

February 16, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Reply