Tune in at 16:00 London, 19:00 UAE

Vancouver Olympics in total chaos?

February 12th, 2010

It's only the third time that Canada has been lucky enough to host the Olympics and the host cities of Vancouver and Whistler are gearing up for what is promising to be an electrifying games.

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/02/12/air.blog.jpg caption ="Vancouver will host the 21st Olympic Games."]

The western Canadian cities are expecting an influx of nearly a million visitors, athletes and journalists from around the world during the 17 days of competition.

Unfortunately though, the situation hasn't been perfect.

The security bill for the games has skyrocketed to nearly a billion dollars and the weather is also proving to be a problem for skiers and snowboarders at Cypress Mountain.

Traditionally, the winter Olympic Games are also a much smaller affair compared to their Summer Olympic counterparts - many countries in warmer climates simply don't take part.

We want to know what you think. Are you excited about this year's Winter Olympics? Do you think Canada will do a good job as hosts?

Filed under:  General
  1. K Yocum

I don't watch the summer games at all - ONLY the winter games so YES, I care!! The winter games are much more exciting and thrilling to watch, in my opinion.

February 12, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Reply
  2. Amed

Of course I care, the Olympics is about bringing people and nations together not to mention the excitement of the competitions. I come from one of those "warmer countries" and I care a great deal about the olympics.

February 12, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Reply
  3. Jody

Yes, I am excited for the Olympics! I think I might watch the winter Olymprics more than I did in the summer because I am inside a lot more with the cold. (Of course the Canadians will do a good job hosting!!)

February 12, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Reply
  4. Jean Pierre Frankenhuis

Could care less about the Winter Olympics, particularly because we'll be getting the competition on TV very late, such as today's opening ceremony...at 3 in the morning.

In addition, we get the "white circus" almost on a daily basis throughout the season, here in Europe. So we're somewhat saturated and the Olympics, which come when the season is not over, seem and look like just another competition for the ongoing, season-long World Cup, instead of the crowning of a season.

February 12, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Reply
  5. Dee Kinck

The Olympics are always a treat whether summer or winter.
    Dee, Norway

February 12, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Reply
  6. Darrell

I care, but I would like to be able to see more than the current networks provide for coverage.

February 12, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Reply
  7. vizi

Winter games are definitely popular , but they have little limitations becos just about a billion people from the 6.5 billion are exposed to it . Secondly people in most countries cannot afford the equipment to make it more widespread .
    This will remain so for some time , till we see more and more economies in the world coming at par , As of now I still see the winter olympics as winter semi-olympics

February 12, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Reply
  8. Tim Mahoney

The entire Olympic movement is awesome, be it summer or winter games! I look forward with great anticipation to the next games and watch every minute I can on TV. I attended the opening ceremonies in Atlanta in 1996 and also many sporting events – still a memorable event in my life. In this often troubled world, the Olympic Spirit provides hope that there can be a better way – it never fails to send chills down my spine! I hope they last forever!

February 12, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Reply
  9. JustMe

"Do you think Canada will do a good job as hosts?"
    What a retarded question.

February 12, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Reply
  10. TJ

Go Canada! True North Strong and Free!

February 12, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Reply
  11. MeToo

@JustMe: Indeed, a retarded question. But wouldn't you expect the media to attempt to stir the pot and get people bickering about whether Canada will be a good host country?

February 12, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Reply
  12. Doogle

It would be a much sadder world without fun in the sun and snow. YES, the winter games are cool!! (or cold!)

Good luck to all the athletes who will be participating and many thanks to the Canadians for hosting the event. They have all done and will continue to do a superb job.

February 12, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Reply
  13. keith

I love the comments, I cannot watch it till 3 in the morning.. What the hell do you think we do when the olympics are overseas? ppl can be so ignorant

February 12, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Reply
  14. Ubiquitous

I care and though I live in Europe, I'll stay up or wake up to watch the Opening Ceremony at 3AM !!

February 12, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Reply
  15. Chris from Canada

We, I believe, as a nation couldn't be happier or more united because of our hosting duties for this year's winter Olympics. We are, geographically one of the largest nations in the world, and the distance from Halifax to Vancouver is roughly the same as it is from England to Iraq. Despite our size the games have sparked a renewed patriotism from coast to coast. Shops are selling out of Olympic and Canada gear, the torch relay drew crowds of hundreds of thousands over its course, and we really feel we are welcoming the world. Enjoy the games on TV, then come and explore our country for yourself ... we'll welcome you too.

February 12, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Reply
  16. Gordon

With taxpayers facing a bill of nearly six billion Canadian dollars to host the games, what is there to be excited about the Olympics?

February 12, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Reply
  17. Tony Benante

I think its great for all countries to come together in an event like this.I am a American living in Vancouver British Columbia and I can tell you this is a beautiful place.I think people will see a great Olympic show and the fantastic surroundings this province has to offer.Hello to all my Family and Friends back east New York & New Jersey..

February 12, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Reply
  18. Canada

Unbelievable waste of money here in Vancouver, our taxes are insane as it is – it was just reported that $16 million was spent on testing the athletes to make sure there are no drugs in their system... HOW STUPID IS THAT in the first place. $16 million just to prevent athletes NOT to do drugs for such a so called important event.. wonder how many homeless that could have helped here? could have rebuilt Haiti and fed families for years, bunch of idiots ....

February 12, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Reply
  19. Jay Jay

“Do you think Canada will do a good job as hosts?” Of course! Why wouldn’t they? They’re a wealthy, first world nation. When the U.S. hosts do people say “Do you think the Americans will do a good job as hosts?” What kind of question is that?

February 12, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Reply
  20. Canada

BIG WASTE OF HUGE AMOUNTS OF MONEY

February 12, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Reply
  21. paul brodie

I am not a supporter of these Olympics. Way too much money for something that is basically ego based. I see a huge divide between supporters and non-supporters, and that should tell you something. The disruption to local businesses is also significant, but doesn't seem to get much coverage. When our school systems are laying off hundreds of teachers at this time, spending a billion dollars on security is a fiasco. There, I think I said it...

February 12, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Reply
  22. Tom B.

YES I am excited about the winter games in Vancouver and cannot wait to see how Canada puts on the show ! I only wish we could get the Canadian and world coverage on TV rather than having to see the Olympics through the eyes of US networks which give far too much coverage to the US team. Now I'm rootin for USA all the way but would like to see coverage from more of a world perspective.

February 12, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Reply
  23. Pat

Can't wait!! Calgary in '88 was my fav Olympics! I hope Vancouver can recreate the Canadian magic. Go atheletes! And, BC should get back in the Olympic broadcasting game. NBC & CBS coverage is just OK.

February 12, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Reply
  24. Pat

BC should of been ABC, sorry

February 12, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Reply
  25. Jan

Gordon: Well, fortunately enough the bill the taxpayers are paying is done so gladly by most of us. We are lucky enough to live in a country that has properly planned and allocated monies for the past 8 years and even given the economic downturn, we seem to be recovering at a much quicker pace than many of our fellow nations. Our banking system is set up in way that Canadians weren't tricked into taking on devastating mortgages and much of the trickle down effects of that weren't felt here. Housing markets are still strong, banks are still pulling profits in the billions. I'm not saying nothing was felt, of course, it's inevitable when so much of our nation's income is from export, but our government stepped up and increased help to those Canadian who needed through out revised EI plan and other stimulus packages. If you research hard enough, you will find the social help you need. That's just how Canada is set up.

We're up for it...and, generally speaking, it looks like our entire country is super stoked!

February 12, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Reply
  26. rene

80% of the world population lives in warmer climates where winter sports are totally irrelevant. most people on this planet have never seen snow!!!!
    95% of the world population can never afford skis or ice skates.
    they are feeding children mud cakes in Haiti, selling children in Asia, dying of curable diseases.
    And where does the developed world focus its attention on??????
    a couple of spotty teenagers that go down a slope on a wooden plank while saying dude.
    break a leg please

February 12, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Reply
  27. Muthyavan,

Canada will do a good job again in the coming winter Olympics as it did in the past in Calgary winter Olympics and Montreal summer Olympics. Winter games are as important as the summer Olympics to many countries and international sports enthusiast are very keen in watching these beautiful games. Among the most expected and watched games in the world is the ice hockey for men and women which will be tightly fought between the players from many supper powers of the world.

February 12, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Reply
  28. Jack

Love the winter olympics. I can remember watching Jean Claude Kiley as a kid. And Eddie the eagle, Katarin Vitt, etc. Nothing better!

February 12, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Reply
  29. Will

I like the competition of the winter games. Canada will do well showing her best side to the world. I just hope some idiot doesn't try to ruin the event. These games are about the athletes not politics. Let he kids have fun.

February 12, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Reply
  30. Andrew Sheard

I live in the Toronto area(Ontario, Canada), and am very excited about living in Canada and being able to host the Olympic games. The games will be very exciting too watch. I think it is great for all countries to come together and participate. We will be great hosts for the world to see. GO CANADA GO!!!!!!!

February 12, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Reply
  31. Stef

I am super excited for the Olympics tonight. I have been talking it up to my friends for months. I am from Seattle but living in Atlanta so sadly I can't go! I am excited to see the Tomatoe and Von and the skier from Ghana.

February 12, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Reply
  32. Gerry Lincoln

I couldn't care less about the Olympics.

I'll catch more than enough coverage watching the evening news - like it or not.

I'll search out channels that AREN'T carrying Olympic events.

I'd rather watch The Mentalist, Vampire Diaries, Family Guy, Law & Order . . .

You get the picture.

February 12, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Reply
  33. frank

I think the Olympics should have been held in Virginia,,,we have snow here 🙂

February 12, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Reply
  34. Rodger Olsen

I am a Canadian and live in the Vancouver area. I hardly watch any Olympic events Summer or Winter. I have a strong negative feeling about the IOC and try to avoid any personal support. However, I have always supported the Olympic project here in Vancouver because I know I am in the minority and most folks love the whole event wherever it is and focus attention on the Host locations. People in Canada try hard to understate their value in the World – it's a cultural thing – and I would like to see a success as a pride builder for Canadians through recognition of a great job as hosts. The event, barring a terroist attack, will be well run and will not bankrupt the country. I am quite proud of the Vancouver preparations, even though I didn't raise a finger to help. I, at least, only dissed the IOC never the Vancouver organizing group or even Gordon Campbell (Premier)... Harper (Prime Minister)? a different story for other reasons.

Lastly I have a strong appreciation for American goodwill towards Canada and like all Americans that I have met, but – No universal health Care in the 21st century?? I know you are a great and very charitable nation but 30-50 million without health insurance?? be aware I am and most Canadians are thankful that the USA is our neighbor. Cripes it could be some European country like, say – France then what would we do?

February 12, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Reply
  35. Trista

As I go through the comments your readers have left, I am reminded of how fortunate I am to live in Canada. I live in Saskatoon, SK, in Western Canada. I have also had the oppurtunity to live in Vancouver, and it is a magical place. Anyone attending the Olympics will be caught up in the beauty, and friendliness of the Canadian natives. You have mountains, Ocean, beautiful parks, amazing shopping, first class dining, what more could u ask for?!!...I hope everyone who visits will experience Vancouver at it's finest. Yes, Canada will do a wonderful job. Let the games begin!

February 12, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Reply
  36. Canada

16 million dollars spent just to make sure the athletes don't cheat!! 16 million for testing them alone – RIDICULOUS WASTE OF MONEY

February 12, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Reply
  37. Doug

Well, for all those that will be in the Vancouver area, I'd like
    to remind and invite them to maybe take a quick day trip
    over to Vancouver Island where I am. It's beautiful here,
    very tourist friendly, and lot's to do if maybe you're not
    into non-stop partying! And God forbid any visitors are
    injured or need the use of our hospitals, don't worry,
    we don't have "death beds" or horns on our heads like
    some in the US media have portrayed. You'll get the
    finest care and probably leave without having to pay a
    dime! So, welcome, and enjoy your stay with us!

d.

February 12, 2010 at 4:58 pm | Reply
  38. frank

I am a Canadian living in the US for many years. I know what the health plan is in Canada . I'll keep what we have . No one is ever turned down for health care. Those 30 million ( the numbers change every time Obama speaks) are mostly illegals.

February 12, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Reply
  39. Kareen

Winter Olympics in Canada boring or billiant?

Actually we don't care very much what Americans think about it.
    We here in Canada care and I know that we will do the very best weather permitting.

Do I read envy in even asking that question?

Get it through your head folks, America is not the only country in the world.

February 12, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Reply
  40. I Miller

Hey Gerry,

Got the picture. Drivel good – live, international fun and good-will bad.

February 12, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Reply
  41. Su

I am proud that Canada was chosen to host these Olympic Winter Games.

I am proud that my tax dollars were used to bring the World together to celebrate sport and the Olympic values.

This is a time of celebration and sheer excitement, and I for one will be glued to my TV watching as many events as I can.

I am Canadian and I Believe!

February 12, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Reply
  42. Jim Bickford

OMG, of course I am excited to watch the Games. I have watched every Olympic Games since 1960!. I would not miss them.

February 12, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Reply
  43. Kareen

ARNI thought it was worth coming to Vancouver and running with the FLAME this morning.
    Just came back from Stanley Park to see him and I could not count the people who came out to see him.

When did Americans ever invite a Canadian to take part?

February 12, 2010 at 5:22 pm | Reply
  44. Doug

Our Prime Minister and his government are so excited about the Olympics that they decided to stop governing. I'm excited, but I am still working. But seriously, I want to thank to all the volunteers who work so hard on this ... do us proud BC.

February 12, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Reply
  45. DarrellS

I've been watching the Olympics since 1972, when I was 4 years old. The Olympics are a time to learn about new cultures, celebrate the best of humanity, and hopefully take some time to forget about the worst of the world and focus on our interconnectedness with nature and with others. I will be watching as much of the 2010 Olympics as possible, and my long-term goal is to attend some of the events of the London 2012 Summer Olympic Games! Good Luck, USA! Break a leg, Canada!

February 12, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Reply
  46. Gerry

Yes, of course we care about the Olympic games.
    Unfortunately, when this question is asked, you are throwing doubt into the games excitement.
    The US media should be more positive about these games.
    Just because the games are not held in the USA does not mean they should be less interesting!!

February 12, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Reply
  47. Rodger Olsen

Frank – How many uninsured or poorly insured folks become ill – are fixed – then lose there house or go into bankruptcy?
    How many folks with insurance at work are afraid to quit or are layed off that can't find another job?
    If you have illegals in your country do you want them wandering around with maladies causing risks to non illegals?
    Is it fair that insurance compaies can dump folks or limit the extent of treatment?
    I know that Obama didn't make up those numbers they have been a fact for decades – where have you been?.

People like you continually obfuscate – I've heard it many times – next time you go on a tea party to sooth your bias just try to think for yourself a bit – a little bit of enlightenment will be good for your adoped society.

Of course it's none of my buisness and I apologize to you for talking bad to you and your ilk.

February 12, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Reply
  48. Rodger Olsen

Frank –

February 12, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Reply
  49. Kareen

To my fellow Canadians here I like to say, Yes, be proud of your country and enjoy the games, but I don't think this is the site to talk about health insurance.

February 12, 2010 at 5:49 pm | Reply
  50. dieter

We have so few occasions where the world can take a bit of a breath and watch an event like the Olympics (summer or winter). To have the Winter Olympics in Canada, and BC specifically, is great. Vancouver and the Coastal mountains are fabulous. Everyone should visit and enjoy the beautiful views and surroundings. Will they do a good job? Yes, without a doubt. I'm proud of them.
    I'm also glad that we invited folks from outside Canada to participate in the Torch run. I had the opportunity to watch the torch pass by in Ontario, 6:00AM, in the dark, 10 below and loved every minute of it.

February 12, 2010 at 5:51 pm | Reply
  51. Rodger Olsen

Kareen –
    You are correct.

February 12, 2010 at 5:55 pm | Reply
  52. frank

Rodger,,I agree with Kareen this is not the site to talk health insurance . You have your opinion , I have mine . We agree to disagree ...nuff said. 🙂
    Enjoy the Olympics .

February 12, 2010 at 5:59 pm | Reply
  53. Lolly

Jean,
    Stay in France. North America doesn't want you anyway.

February 12, 2010 at 6:13 pm | Reply
  54. Alison , Okanagan Valley BC

I grew up in Vancouver. I was so fortunate to have such a beautiful city and country around me, although not realizing so at the time- just took it all for granted like most kids that grew up there.. I love winter sports, they are fast and exciting, and mostly fun to watch, and like many ordinary BC'ers I have (tried) skiing and snowboarding and ice skating, so know the fun and can imagine the skill difficulty of it. I do feel the sport part of the Olympics is being overshadowed a bit more every year by all the pageantry of things such as the torch relay, and the opening ceremonies especially. It seems like there is way too much expectation of the host city having to put on a huge show, with acrobatics, light show, and dangerous stunts(during practice recently a performer was injured) . Whats that all coming to? It must cost a fortune! The opening ceremonies could be toned down a bit and still be important. Otherwise I like everything else about the winter olympics. My daughter is actually working in whistler right now, and it will be an experience of a lifetime for her and tons of fun I am sure.

February 12, 2010 at 6:15 pm | Reply
  55. Kareen

Thank you Rodger and Frank, I didn't mean to upset anyone.

I am not myself this morning as I am overwhelmed this morning and the previous days here in Vancouver.
    I was against having the games here, but seeing the American team and others walking our streets here did it to me.
    NBC is reporting from just above from where I live on Grouse Mountain and the air is full of excitement

GO CANADA!!!!!!!!!!

February 12, 2010 at 6:20 pm | Reply
  56. Shane

Daily the news is filled with the ills of the world, its nice to see something good for a change, however fleeting.

February 12, 2010 at 6:20 pm | Reply
  57. Bernie in Vancouver

I am, this moment, in downtown Vancouver, my hometown. The atmosphere is electric; the torch passed by a couple of hours ago as it winds its way through all of downtown to arrive at the stadium later this afternoon. There are thousands of people in the Granville Street plaza, thousands at Robson Square. Many downtown streets have been turned into pedestrian plazas with art shows, vendors, and performance artists. Top acts from all over the world are performing free at venues across the city for the next 17 days (see the Facebook page "Free Olympic Events" for details).
    I, for one, am very proud to be Canadian, and very excited to open our home to the world beginning tonight. I am not worried about snow on Cypress Mountain (where the snowboarding and freestyle skiing events will be held); they had practice runs this week, and the athletes themselves are very happy, due to massive preparation for mild weather by the organizing committee, Vanoc.
    This morning, Arnold Schwartzenegger ran with the torch in Stanley Park along the Seawall; why? Because California and British Columbia have a longstanding partnership in environmental policies and practices, we are brothers in the fight for Mother Earth. Arnold is welcome, and he was thrilled; the torch relay is being carried live on national TV (CTV network) all day today. It has taken 106 days, 45000 kilometres, and over 12000 torchbearers to get the flame across Canada twice, and you will see it light the cauldron tonight at BC Place.
    If you cannot make it to Vancouver during the Games, we welcome you to come up anytime; plan to stay a couple of weeks, there is much to see and do in and around Vancouver.
    I have tickets to a few events, including Moguls skiing on Cypress Mtn tomorrow, bobsleigh in Whistler, figure skating, curling, speed skating, and women's hockey. Enjoy the Olympics for the efforts of the athletes, and come visit Canada!

February 12, 2010 at 6:24 pm | Reply
  58. Dr. Ron Allanach

I moved to this beautiful heaven of Vancouver in 2005 from the United States. The Olympics are a beautiful representation of this place of tolerance,diversity, freedom, respect and joy of this natural beauty!

My partner and I celebrate EVERY DAY being here and the Olympics are a great way to celebrate and demonstrate to the world our diversity, beauty and love of the human spirit that is Vabcouver every day!!! Don;t believe the negative slants..... " You got to be here". I am amazed at the number of our American friends who call or write and tell us "My dream is to live in Vancouver!" Indeed.

February 12, 2010 at 6:33 pm | Reply
  59. Bill

I am looking forward to these games because they are being hosted by my country as well as the fact that they are almost within my time zone – which will make watching events live much easier than when they are held in far away foreign lands.

I think that despite the weather issues (remember Calgary in '88 with +12 conditions?) the games will come off without a significant hitch and in true Olympic fashion will make citizens of all participating countries, feel proud about their athletes – not to mention creating a diversion from so many disheartening events that are happening around the world these days.

February 12, 2010 at 6:35 pm | Reply
  60. jared

Yes canada will do a good just like always... what a terrible question if the americans were holding it im sure this would not be a question ever asked...

GO BEAUTIFUL CANADA!!

February 12, 2010 at 6:43 pm | Reply
  61. Rodger Olsen

Frank –
    I do get carried away. I should worry about stuff that I can do something about. I will enjoy a small bit of the games. You too.

February 12, 2010 at 6:55 pm | Reply
  62. Mayrienne

Being a Canadian, you bet I'm excited, more so than for any other games! The Olympic spirit has been pulsating for months and in watching the final leg of the torch, it's nothing short of thrilling. I sincerely hope Betty Fox or Terry's brother Darrell light the cauldron as a tribute to Terry. And just wait for the opening ceremonies - we're going to blow you away!

February 12, 2010 at 6:56 pm | Reply
  63. Kat

Vancouver gets more and more exciting every day... watching the torch go through downtown this morning was amazing, the crowd was HUGE. Yes, we care about the games! Looking forward to sharing our beautiful city with the world. GO TEAM CANADA!!!!

February 12, 2010 at 7:09 pm | Reply
  64. Jaycee

I've always enjoyed the winter games. And since I boycotted the games in China, I'm particularly excited. I can't wait til tonight!

February 12, 2010 at 7:11 pm | Reply
  65. Mike

I'm a thrilled guy from Calgary Canada. I can't wait. Don't let the vocal minority whiners spoil the fun. Most people are very excited.

February 12, 2010 at 7:12 pm | Reply
  66. Frank

Why does it always seem to come down to 'nobody is quite up to the lofty standard of our American cousins' ? As we are currently proving in Southern Afganistan, we can do just fine by ourselves, thank-you. Oh, I almost forgot ice hockey and coming up with the idea of basketball. Ok , I got carried away, Canadians are not supposed to brag.

Go Canada Go.

February 12, 2010 at 7:37 pm | Reply
  67. Jose

Winter Olympics = boring.

Don't give a damn.

February 12, 2010 at 7:48 pm | Reply
  68. Phil Paris

Could care less.
    The Olympic Movement is corrupt and the games are going to cost taxpayers tens of millions of dollars..

February 12, 2010 at 7:48 pm | Reply
  69. Vancouver Tax Payer

Why is it ok to spend 16 Million alone on just making sure the athletes are not cheating?? for their drug testing???? Never mind all of the other costs – that is simply crazy... Can anyone explain this? It seems rather beyond comprehension when there are tons and tons of homeless people in Vancouver....absolutely disgusting way to waste money

February 12, 2010 at 7:49 pm | Reply
  70. Pat

The winter olympics are the best.

February 12, 2010 at 7:53 pm | Reply
  71. Tracy Rector

We are big sports fans so yes we care about the Olympics. Winter games are our fav especially Hockey. I think Canada will do a great job hosting. Tracy in Alaska

February 12, 2010 at 7:58 pm | Reply
  72. Rodger Olsen

Frank,
    You are right about some donkey type Canadians (not many but enough) having this lofty (to use your word) know it all superior attitude and exchanging smug knowing expressions with each other. In comparison, this type of attitude is what Infuriates me about the IOC and many European stuffed shirts.

And, oh yeah as well, don't for cripes sake put a hockey stick in a Canadian's hands (Craig Ferguson often points this out).
    In contrast Curling brooms are nice and cultured. So I will watch this sport. MSNBC will carry as will TSN.

I must go out and take my sled dogs for a 200 mile trip now so have a nice day.

February 12, 2010 at 8:14 pm | Reply
  73. Kareen

Just don't forget Vancouver Tax Payer that many if not most of the homeless people in Vancouver come from other places in Canada and some from the States who choose to live that way. Not all, I give you that.
    Many were giving housing and a week later they are back on the street.
    Should the rest of the world stop living because of them?

February 12, 2010 at 8:19 pm | Reply
  74. Margaux

Cypress not Cyprus

February 12, 2010 at 8:28 pm | Reply
  75. WD broadbridge

Do you think Canada will be a good host?

What kind of question is that??

And you Americans wonder why the rest of the planet dislikes you? Such arrogants!

February 12, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Reply
  76. Mike - Toronto

This is a great event for Canada, no matter that there will undoubtedly be a whole lot of money spent on it and it is actually very refreshing to see all the very reasonable and restrained comments on this thread from people all over the country/world, other than a few sour clowns.
    $16million, that is a month's pay for a quarterback or radio show host, so let's not try to understand or correct the world's economic stupidity now, hundreds of millions of $ have been sent/spent to help Haiti,so just enjoy this for what it is.
    Try looking at a 2010 Soccer world cup site in South Africa and all the comments are from blacks and whites alike hurling nasty, shocking racial slurs at each other.
    They could learn from Canada and the wonderful manner and spirit in which this is being done here.
    Go Canada, good luck to the rest of the "ice" world participants.

February 12, 2010 at 9:18 pm | Reply
  77. Paul

It's about human spirit. It's about what's possible, co-operation and ideals. It's about the effort to achieve and transend. It's about peace. It's about communities from neighbourhoods to nations. It's about the kids and their dreams. It's a feeling about what great in all of us. Friends. Family. Dignity.

We are all on this planet together. There are enough things that don't work. Why not embrace the things that do? How do you put a price on that? We all know what the wars are costing us. What should peace and goodwill cost? My answer is that it should cost us everything.

February 12, 2010 at 9:41 pm | Reply
  78. Islander

Speed (time) records have fallen at a record pace over the past two years. Athletes perform better and faster in an ongoing manner. Hmmm, I wonder long that can go on. Can you say DRUGS? The Olympics are a private profit producing corporations way of ripping off everyone. It's disgusting to spend (waste) billions this way when peoples of the world are dying for lack of the same. The Olympics are a prime example of a true immoral self-serving activity. It makes me ashamed to be a Vancouverite. How will I explain the huge taxpayer bill to my grandchildren as they will be required to pay for it? What a dumb idea to test for 'last years' drugs when most, repeat most, gold medal performances will be produced by those who contain the latest undetected, lab produced enhancements.

February 12, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Reply
  79. DP

I would have been perfectly happy if all of the money spent on Winter Olympics would have been directed to completely rebuilding Haiti

February 12, 2010 at 9:56 pm | Reply
  80. An Oregonian

CNN – what a stupid question? Of course – Canada will do a terrifc job hosting the Olympics. We have visited many places in Western Canada and were always impressed with the kindness and sincerity of our neighbors to the north. What a beautiful country. And yes – go see Vancouver Island – it will be a treat. Us North Westerners know what beauty is all about, no matter on which side of the border it is. GO CANADA!

February 12, 2010 at 10:02 pm | Reply
  81. Protesting against Protesters

I find interesting that people against the Olympics here in Vancouver say that the games cost too much and the homeless are still homeless. The games are here, they are happening, rather than ensuring that the games are successful, they do everything in their power to try and make these games unsuccessful opposed to making them successful, goes to show how far egos will go!

As far as the homeless, there have been homeless in the world for many, many years, and I hate to say it, but there will homeless for many years to come! There are more homeless people in Vancouver than any other part of Canada due to our weather; it’s not 20 below for 9 months out of the year, therefore more people migrate to Vancouver. The homeless situation in Vancouver in not a Vancouver problem but a Canadian problem.

February 12, 2010 at 10:27 pm | Reply
  82. Saddened Vancouverite

Don't get me wrong.. I am a supporter of sports BUT I am not a supporter of the Olympics here in Vancouver as the money that has been spent has been at a huge cost to British Columbians. Senior's programs cut due to lack of funding, surgeries times suspended during the games. Specifically a young lady (with a doner waiting) for a liver transplant! It's sickening... sick sick sick.
    Social programs and health care is what matters in our city/province!

I wish I could say that I was excited but I'm not. Expo 86 never caused this much uproar and it was on for 6 months.

February 12, 2010 at 10:49 pm | Reply
  83. george harper

I'm glad to see picabo street getting so much free press
    promoting the favorite woman skier,she can can add this to her junky
    commercial website. I remember the winter olympics 2006 she
    shot of her mouth viciously bad-mouthing julia mancuso as
    absolutely a lousy racer who couldn't win anything.
    Julia won gold in the giant slalom!

February 12, 2010 at 11:32 pm | Reply
  84. george harper

No, I hadn't made a comment about picabo and julie mancuso'
    this is a new comment.

February 12, 2010 at 11:34 pm | Reply
  85. PeterF

Summer olympics? – when is that...?

February 12, 2010 at 11:40 pm | Reply
  86. Angus McFangus

The only winter games I'm interested in are Trivial Pursuit and Boggle.

February 13, 2010 at 1:36 am | Reply
  87. Bob Britishcolumbian

It's time for BC, Alberta and Washington State to break away from Canada and the USA. The warm and fuzzy feeling of 'Canada' is nothing but a place to throw tax dollars at. It's time for Cascadia.

February 13, 2010 at 2:03 am | Reply
  88. MIchael Delio

Clearly there wasn't enough care and preparation for these games. To have built a fast, risky luge course with exposed metal posts right next to it was just negligent and exposes a lack of concern for the athletes. What a tragic waste of life! - Mike, Toronto

February 13, 2010 at 2:04 am | Reply
  89. KC in CA

This will be my 3-year-olds first look at the Olymipcs. She is very active and wants to try everything she sees. Her first look at ski jumping on the internet ended with an excited "I want to go do that! Right now! Let's go!". It will be fun introducting her to so many sports at once and talking about how the athletes were all once little children just learning what they could do.

February 13, 2010 at 2:22 am | Reply
  90. Candid Canadian

1. California hasn't paid yet for the hydro electricity California got from British Columbia – so Arnie up helping carry the torch, later picking up litter with a stick and nail in it etc.; he's doing dishes at the Parliment Buildings later, in Victoria, Capital of British Columbia. 🙂

2. Lighten up! : It's some young babe charged with dream up CNN questionpoll questions, cute, not a brain surgeon, and gets people thinking about Canada and they're caring of the games, no prob.

3. It's unamerican to not like america and we're our yank brothers' biggest trading partner EVEN THOUGH THEY HARDLY EVER MENTION US ON THEIR CNN's!!! (jealousy? :))- we're the loyalists of the revolutionary war and they're our upstart bro's.

ALL SHOULD VISIT THE OLYMPICS, ALL ARE MEGA WELCOME!!!!!!!!!

February 13, 2010 at 2:29 am | Reply
  91. Robert

"Do you care about the Winter Olympics?"
    "Do you think Canada will do a good job as hosts?"
    Typical US propaganda to belittle Canada.. again...
    Sounds like the Americans are jealous Canada is hosting the games.

February 13, 2010 at 3:03 am | Reply
  92. Alberta Guy

Let's see, which is more exciting to watch, slow boring baseball or fast exciting hockey...? Nuff said.

February 13, 2010 at 3:36 am | Reply
  93. Esme

Of course I care about the Winter Olympics! Hello? Hockey!!!

I live in Vancouver and when I heard we had put a bid in for the 2010 Winter Olympics, I thought to myself that we were vying for the wrong event - Vancouver would have been the PERFECT city for the SUMMER Olympics! (Albeit, we would have had much more competiton.) During the summer, Vancouver has the most comfortable weather out of any city in the Northern Hemisphere (no excessive heat & humidity), and we're at sea level (more oxygen than at higher levels), so I'm sure we would have had many records broken. Vancouver is beautiful in the winter, too, but we really shine in the summer. You'll just have to come and see for yourselves! 🙂

When I was in high school, I organized my schedule so that I could leave class after lunch (gotta love the spare!) so that I could take the afternoon off to go snowboarding at Grouse Mountain or Cypress. Now that's my kind of education! And that's my kind of city where I can go to school in the morning and snowboad in the afternoon! Now if we could just put the brakes on this global warming problem, my grandchildren will be able to do the same.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of Nodar Kumaritashvili, his teammates, and to all Georgians. I burst into tears when I heard about the accident, and sobbed when I heard he had succumbed to his injuries. Such a tragic, unnecessary loss of life. I think Canadians feel, as do I, that we have a responsibility to provide the athletes with a safe field of play, and that we have let Nodar down in the most awful way possible.

I hope the rest of the games are safe for all of the athletes and spectators.

February 13, 2010 at 4:07 am | Reply
  94. Andy

I think this Winter Ceremony in Vancouver 2010 is boring and specially talking so much about Canada and the proud Canadian people and therefore won't respect any other nations! That’s what I feel about this ceremony! It so sad to watch this Ceremony, but I will watch the games after all!
    I am Canadian citizen and live in Edmonton, Canada!

February 13, 2010 at 4:41 am | Reply
  95. Kyle

The Winter Olympics is fun to watch, but it isn't as good as the Summer Olympics.

btw the opening ceremony sucked compared to summer.
    definitely low TV ratings

February 13, 2010 at 5:20 am | Reply
  96. Canuckian

Original article posted: "It's only the third time that Canada has been lucky enough to host the Olympics " and " Do you think Canada will do a good job as hosts?"

WHAT kind of an evil, back-handed, loaded statements are those??? How many other countries in the world of only 30 million people have even ever hosted the Olympics once ... let alone 3 times?? Was the author of this "article" trying to stir the pot and incite hatred towards Canada specifically? or the Olympics in general??

February 13, 2010 at 5:48 am | Reply
  97. Darren

Go Canada, Go Vancouver. The one time where the world comes together. Inspirational. All the best to the athletes.

February 13, 2010 at 6:04 am | Reply
  98. kamilsomaratne

Never been so proud to be a Canadian and a Vancouverite Whoohoo!! GO VANCOUVER AND GO CANADA!!!

February 13, 2010 at 6:17 am | Reply
  99. A. Hayes

Yes, Vancouver did a great job, to bad about their somewhat warm winter. Because the games are in my backyard it is exciting, but I am cheering for Finland.

February 13, 2010 at 6:22 am | Reply
  100. Rich

Nope, don't care one little bit. Some of the sports are just plain silly- curling for example. And others are just repiticious and boring. I mean, how many different ways can there be to ski down a mountain?

February 13, 2010 at 6:28 am | Reply
  101. Roshan from Sri Lanka

I just loved the opening ceremony. No over the top stunts but a w'ful spectacle nevertheless. Of course Vancouver will be a great host. Hope there will a great story like that of the Jamaican bob sleighers a few Games ago.

February 13, 2010 at 8:46 am | Reply
  102. andrea

The most exciting sports anywhere..... the only sports I watch.

February 13, 2010 at 8:51 am | Reply
  103. rebbel

olympics should be shorten every 2 yrs for a lot of good reasons:

– athletes have more chances to compete
    – business can be good
    – previous stadium and infrastructure can be used all over again

February 13, 2010 at 8:52 am | Reply
  104. jay

common give me a break winter olympics is the most boring sporting event of all time take a look at all the major sporting events like superbowl, soccer worldcup, final four, nascar, world series , summer olympics they are way better in ratings than the winter olympics even cricket get more rating than the winter olympics i jus feel sorry for NBC

February 13, 2010 at 8:59 am | Reply
  105. BRIAN BUTLER

YES MAKE SURE THAT ALL OF ATHLETES OF ALL OLYMPICE GAMES GO BUY THE LAW! BUT HOPELY THE DON'T DO WHAT HAPPEN TO DR JAMES ALBERT HARDER PHD 12 2 26, HE WAS DRUGED, HE WAS KIDNAP, HE WAS ABUSE! ALL THIS WAS DONE BUY NOT JUST HIS KIDS&WIFE THAT IS 20 YEARS YOUNGER THEN HE! BUY JUDGES&LAWYERS! EVEN THE WA STATE BAR HELP COVERUP THE CRIMES DONE BUY JUDGES&LAWYERS ! AS THEY USED THE COURTS FOR THER CRIMES FROM CA TO WA STATE! IT ALL ON MYSPACE BLOG! SORRY FOR THE SPELLING, HAY! IAM DISABLE! OK LONG STORY DON'T WANT TO GO THERE! THEY DONT WANT YOU TO KNOW, EVEN THE NEWS DONE WANT YOU TO KNOW! WHY BECOUSE IT JUDGES &LAWYERS BREAKING LAWS ON THE BENCH! TAKEN RIGHTS FROM PEOPLE FOR MONEY! AND THEN IT WILL OPEN UP THE A PANDORA BOX, THAT THEY CAN'T CLOSE! THE LINE OF VICTIMS WILL NEVER STOP! FROM CA, TO WA STATE, IF I WASN'T TELLING THE FACTS! ON THIS! THEY WOULD HAVE ME SHUT DOWN! CAN'T IAM TELL ME OR ORDER ME! IT HAPPEN, THEY CAN'T SAY IT DIDN'T! GOT YEA! THE TRUTH, WILL SET ME FREE! THANK GOD!

February 13, 2010 at 9:33 am | Reply

106. Don't follow at all...

February 13, 2010 at 10:25 am | Reply
  107. N. Lynne

We Are More

by Shane Koyczan

When defining Canada

you might list some statistics

you might mention our tallest building

or biggest lake

you might shake a tree in the fall

and call a red leaf Canada

you might rattle off some celebrities

might mention Buffy Sainte-Marie

might even mention the fact that we've got a few

Barenaked Ladies

or that we made these crazy things

like zippers

electric cars

and washing machines

when defining Canada

it seems the world's anthem has been

" been there done that"

and maybe that's where we used to be at

it's true

we've done and we've been

we've seen

all the great themes get swallowed up by the machine

and turned into theme parks

but when defining Canada

don't forget to mention that we have set sparks

we are not just fishing stories

about the one that got away

we do more than sit around and say "eh?"

and yes

we are the home of the Rocket and the Great One

who inspired little number nines

and little number ninety-nines

but we're more than just hockey and fishing lines

off of the rocky coast of the Maritimes

and some say what defines us

is something as simple as please and thank you

and as for you're welcome

well we say that too

but we are more

than genteel or civilized

we are an idea in the process

of being realized

we are young

we are cultures strung together

then woven into a tapestry

and the design

is what makes us more

than the sum total of our history

we are an experiment going right for a change

with influences that range from a to zed

and yes we say zed instead of zee

we are the colours of Chinatown and the coffee of Little Italy

we dream so big that there are those

who would call our ambition an industry

because we are more than sticky maple syrup and clean snow

we do more than grow wheat and brew beer

we are vineyards of good year after good year

we reforest what we clear

because we believe in generations beyond our own

knowing now that so many of us

have grown past what used to be

we can stand here today

filled with all the hope people have

when they say things like "someday"

someday we'll be great

someday we'll be this

or that

someday we'll be at a point

when someday was yesterday

and all of our aspirations will pay the way

for those who on that day

look towards tomorrow

and still they say someday

we will reach the goals we set

and we will get interest on our inspiration

because we are more than a nation of whale watchers and lumberjacks

more than backpacks and hiking trails

we are hammers and nails building bridges

towards those who are willing to walk across

we are the lost-and-found for all those who might find themselves at a loss

we are not the see-through gloss or glamour

of those who clamour for the failings of others

we are fathers brothers sisters and mothers

uncles and nephews aunts and nieces

we are cousins

we are found missing puzzle pieces

we are families with room at the table for newcomers

we are more than summers and winters

more than on and off seasons

we are the reasons people have for wanting to stay

because we are more than what we say or do

we live to get past what we go through

and learn who we are

we are students

students who study the studiousness of studying

so we know what as well as why

we don't have all the answers

but we try

and the effort is what makes us more

we don't all know what it is in life we're looking for

so keep exploring

go far and wide

or go inside but go deep

go deep

as if James Cameron was filming a sequel to The Abyss

and suddenly there was this location scout

trying to figure some way out

to get inside you

because you've been through hell and high water

and you went deep

keep exploring

because we are more

than a laundry list of things to do and places to see

we are more than hills to ski

or countryside ponds to skate

we are the abandoned hesitation of all those who can't wait

we are first-rate greasy-spoon diners and healthy-living cafes

a country that is all the ways you choose to live

a land that can give you variety

because we are choices

we are millions upon millions of voices shouting

" keep exploring... we are more"

we are the surprise the world has in store for you

it's true

Canada is the "what" in "what's new?"

so don't say "been there done that"

unless you've sat on the sidewalk

while chalk artists draw still lifes

on the concrete of a kid in the street

beatboxing to Neil Young for fun

don't say you've been there done that

unless you've been here doing it

let this country be your first-aid kit

for all the times you get sick of the same old same old

let us be the story told to your friends

and when that story ends

leave chapters for the next time you'll come back

next time pack for all the things

you didn't pack for the first time

but don't let your luggage define your travels

each life unravels differently

and experiences are what make up

the colours of our tapestry

we are the true north

strong and free

and what's more

is that we didn't just say it

we made it be.

February 13, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Reply
  108. david w.

Never been into watching the olympics. But I do wish that the news agencies would have shared the history of canada to its viewers.
    When asked if I would be watching the winter games I politely have said no.

I then ask "what does Canada and Germany have in common?" Some have replied after the 2010 opening ceremony both Canada and Germany will have two Olympic game under their belt. Which is correct but the answer I was looking for is genocide.

Rev. Kevin Annett who exposed the hidden history of Canada. He was excommunicated for doing so.

The title of the documentary is Unrepentant:

hiddenfromhistory.org

Or simply google Canada's genocide.

February 13, 2010 at 10:04 pm | Reply
  109. ingrid terpaj

sport has become an enormous waste of money with very few real benefits. it is time humanity got real and started dealing with its problems rather than indulging in this self serving orgy of personal glory. are people any healthier? no!
    take formula 1 racing, now that had to be the greatest joke of all time. these winter olympics are no better. as a georgian i grieve for our dead luger, but as a modern thinking person i say let's put sport back in its place.

February 14, 2010 at 12:04 am | Reply
  110. Haruhiko Mohri

No, I don't care about Olympics both winter and summer.

In ancient Olympics, people prayed and celebrated God.
    I think God doesn't care about modern Olympics.
    Of course, winners in games should be cerebrated.
    God see disasters of human beings, Tahiti, Afgan and environment-crysis.

February 14, 2010 at 10:11 am | Reply
  111. Roberto Neigenfind

No snow in Brazil. In spite of that we care about all kind of sports.

Roberto Neigenfind

February 15, 2010 at 4:44 am | Reply
  112. frank

Rodger Olsen,,,when you see a Frank on here it is not me . (from the first post (being from Virginia etc) . Someone has the same name or kidding with you. I haven't been on here since that day. Not sure if you think it's me,,just thought I'd clear that up. Have a nice day.

February 15, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Reply
  113. From Canada

david w. and all the others...
    The questions were: Are you excited about this year's Winter Olympics? Maybe we should stick to that question and leave politics and (even if its a stupid question...) Do you think Canada will do a good job as hosts? Why bring politics into the mix... Don't we have enough of that during the 4 years that seperate the games?

I am trully excited about the Olympics not only for the events but also the unity between athletes of different backgrounds and nationality.
    N. Lynne – Thank you for posting that text – its incredible!
    GO Canada!