Tune in at 16:00 London, 19:00 UAE

Friday's Connector: KISS

March 1st, 2010

Rock legends KISS have sold more than 80 million album sales worldwide, making them one of the most iconic bands on the planet.

Becky Anderson with Gene Simmons and Eric Singer of Kiss

Founded in New York City in 1972, the distinctive foursome and their unique brand of rock showmanship have unleashed 19 albums during their astounding 38-year career.

With hits like "Hotter Than Hell" and "God of Thunder," KISS have carved a niche in the rock landscape thanks to incendiary performances and stadium-shaking anthems.

This summer the band will plough their way across Europe, promoting their latest album "Sonic Boom," which was released last year.

And now it's your chance to ask KISS your questions.

What does it take to become a rock legend? Why have KISS been together for so long? And just how long does it take to apply all that makeup?

Post your questions below and we'll serve them up to KISS on Connect The World on Friday. And please let us know from where you are writing.

1. Norwin Lederer

Why did you always perform with full facial makeup?

March 1, 2010 at 8:14 pm | Reply
  2. Robin

Do you think your music would have been as well accepted without all of the makeup and costumes?

March 1, 2010 at 10:01 pm | Reply
  3. Sam

I saw KISS twice this year in the US. Before this, the last time I saw you was back in the early 80's. You still perform and put on the best show ever and I instantly became a fan again. I brought my kids to one of the concerts and they loved it. I told them to look at KISS and look at what you've been able to do with Rock n Roll. KISS has taken something and made it unique, put their own signature on it. My message to them, anything is possible – dream big.
    Question. Will KISS come back around for a few additional stops in the US before ending the tour? Come on guys, add a few more shows here for your fans!

March 1, 2010 at 10:24 pm | Reply
  4. Michael Bennett

How Long Does It Take To Put On The Make up And Attire Before A Show?

March 1, 2010 at 11:53 pm | Reply
  5. Vicki Pappas

Do you know whatever happened to your friend Elaine who used to tease you that you'd never make it? I worked with her briefly in Hawaii when we both worked as public school speech therapists.
    Thank you!
    Vicki

March 2, 2010 at 12:03 am | Reply
  6. Chris Dallas

If there was anything you could do different in your 38 year career what would it be?

March 2, 2010 at 12:11 am | Reply
  7. Ty Nicholson

I remember way back in 1979, I was in junior high school. i was the only KISS fan in my tiny rural town. My cousin from the big city of Toronto visited me, and brought his albums, and he left KISS Alive for me. I bought a magazine, called KISS vs Fleetwood Mac. In it, ACE was quoted as saying he was pissed he didn't win guitarist of the year that year. I assume he's over it!

March 2, 2010 at 12:48 am | Reply
  8. Ruzzinenti

Are you coming back to perform in Mexico? We miss you guys!

March 2, 2010 at 1:27 am | Reply
  9. Jeremy

This question is for Gene. As a member of one of the most well known, copied, and merchandised band in the world, how did you feel when you found out your son directly copied and plagiarized famous Japanese manga in his own work?

March 2, 2010 at 1:41 am | Reply
  10. Jaime

Does KISS have a catalog of unpublished songs? Will they ever be published?

March 2, 2010 at 1:56 am | Reply
  11. James

One aspect that realy stands out is that some songs are sung by Paul,other by Gene, and by the drummer through the decades (Eric Peter.) How was the decision to include altering lead singers arranged?

March 2, 2010 at 2:00 am | Reply
  12. Will Smith

Are there any plans to do another album? I LOVE Sonic Boom, but I'd also love another one! Maybe with a non-exclusive distribution deal? (Many Wal-Marts, including my local one didn't have KISS Korners, or any merchandise at all besides the new album.) Anyways, thanks for rockin' my world for the 17 years I've been on it!

March 2, 2010 at 2:20 am | Reply
  13. Mark Lake

KISS' 40th anniversary will be in 2012.

Your 20th studio lp would go great with a 40th anniversary tour.

Are you game?

March 2, 2010 at 2:25 am | Reply
  14. Marc

After the succes of Sonic Boom, will there be another new album in the coming 2 years?

March 2, 2010 at 2:42 am | Reply
  15. Sharon Goldbaum

I know some of you come from Jewish backgrounds; did that influence your music in any way?

March 2, 2010 at 3:05 am | Reply
  16. Jimmy Van Frehley

Hi, What is more important to you, the music or the makeup?

March 2, 2010 at 3:37 am | Reply
  17. Kevin Quail

I could care less.

March 2, 2010 at 4:35 am | Reply
  18. hideaki nagano

What do you think handy,recognition?

March 2, 2010 at 4:38 am | Reply
  19. Hamish

Why don't you call it a day and stop touring, your live show is lame and an embarrasment to your younger selves, you are too old and totter around onstage, the music sounds tired and forced. I saw you in Wellington, New Zealand a couple of years ago and Alice Cooper blew you off stage. And Gene, please make your "bass solo" a little more complicated than picking an an open string for about 5 minutes.

March 2, 2010 at 5:56 am | Reply
  20. Chris Orvis

How has Kiss been able to appeal to audiences across generations?

March 2, 2010 at 5:57 am | Reply
  21. Kyle

Why did you keep the same make-up design for the new (replacement)members of the band ? Why didint you let them have their own new design ? Are they just charecterisations ?

March 2, 2010 at 7:16 am | Reply
  22. Bob McCloskey

Do you plan on keeping "KISS" Alive forever? Meaning, when you guys are done, older, etc. finding replacements to keep Kiss going, and going and so on. That would be cool!

March 2, 2010 at 7:43 am | Reply
  23. Miikka

Hi KISS,
    I've been your fan since 1983 and been at your concerts in Helsinki, Finland quite a few times. And they have been awesome by the way! 🙂

Now I've been living in Tallinn, Estonia for a few years and was wondering have you ever been performing in Estonia and if not, would you ever consider that as it would make your Estonian friends very delighted!

Keep on rockin,
    Miikka

March 2, 2010 at 8:46 am | Reply
  24. Per Zetterlund

When will you come to Australia?

March 2, 2010 at 9:49 am | Reply
  25. Michelle

Which do you think appealed to people more: your shows or your music?

March 2, 2010 at 9:55 am | Reply
  26. Michelle Ong

What did you want to appeal to people more: your shows or your music?

March 2, 2010 at 9:56 am | Reply
  27. Anesh Morar

Do you still have the same passion for music as when you started?

March 2, 2010 at 10:34 am | Reply
  28. Spaghetti Boy

Tommy, how grateful are you that Ace Frehley created the great act that you now copy? After all, your career was long over before you started imitating Ace. So how about giving a nice thank you to Ace, since without his creations you wouldn't have a job today.

March 2, 2010 at 11:48 am | Reply
  29. Billy Chan

you are gaining young age fans worldwide... would you consider to record an album of songs for kids/babies?

March 2, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Reply
  30. Peter Jacobson

How are the financial decisions and analysis taking place before recording an album or going on tour? Are the band members involved at the business plan level, or do the record companies come up with the plans?

March 2, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Reply
  31. GOD GAVE ROCK n ROLL 2 ME

What is about KISS that makes you so addicting. I love you and can't get enough!!! You are like my religion! I have been a follower since 1973. I was AOL from the KISS Army during the "no make up season" and recently been back in the ranks since Alive 35. The current line up is the best! Just want you to know that you and your music has brought me through a lot of pain. You're energy makes me stronger every day. Here's to the future! KISS FOREVER!!

March 2, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Reply
  32. Peter Jacobson

Do KISS own rights to their songs (and hence all profit from sales and airplay)?

March 2, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Reply
  33. Robert Quick

Of all of the media propaganda about KISS that has come out over 38 years, what was the most outlandish of the tabloid BS to ever hit the band's nerve?

March 2, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Reply
  34. Nigel

My question has two parts:

(1)With advancements in technology allowing musicians from all backgrounds to record music cheaply and effectively, do you feel a generation is missing out on Analogue recording?

(2) Have you made the switch to digital recording or are you sticking with the same technology you started out with like other more experienced acts? If so, why?

Thanks for asking my questions this week Becky, i was pretty happy with the answers!

March 2, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Reply
  35. mark e berg

Kiss, you are by far the greatest band to strut this planet. Keep rockin.
    How many more years will you tour and when will you come back to Nebraska?

March 2, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Reply
  36. Mark

Hello Eric, Gene, Paul, & Tommy,

What has been your most Memorable Gig? I hope to see you all soon on your European Tour!

Keep on Rockin'

Mark (Monkton, Md. U.S.A / Kaiserslautern, Germany)

P.S. I really enjoyed Eric's Show here at the FCK Stadium.

March 2, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Reply
  37. Laurie Anne

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta: Is there a possibility for an Eric Carr tribute please? Maybe a behind-the-scenes dvd?

March 2, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Reply
  38. Vicky

Hello!!! It´s cool that we get a chance to write our questions for you guys. Mine rather being a question it´s a favor to ask!!! Please, please come to Mexico!!!!! You sure have a big army here too, so please come I´m sure it would be a lifetime experience for my son and daughter that are 17 and 18 years old and they are your fans!!!!!

Saludos!!!!!!

March 2, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Reply
  39. Chris Poustie

The KISSOLOGY DVD series has been great so far, but there are still a number of unreleased concerts from the 70's. Will these ever see the light of day on DVD?

March 2, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Reply
  40. George

Do you think it is possible that Kiss has & always will have the Earths Historic record of sexual conquests.

March 2, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Reply
  41. Aaron Nelson

Every time I hear the beginning of "I Wanna Rock and Roll All Night (and Party Every Day!)" I turn it off as quickly as possible to keep the lamest and most repetetive lyric in the history of Rock and Roll from getting stuck in my head. Congratulations on turning mediocre music skills into a costumed cash cow.

March 2, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Reply
  42. billy jo Albritton

Will you listen to my band JoEveritt, we can be found on Itunes, Gene, you will love us. Thanks.

March 2, 2010 at 5:29 pm | Reply
  43. Reid

KISS was my first concert. Thanks for coming to Vancouver.

Are there any plans for KISS Rockband or Guitar Hero?

Reid (New fan at 8 years old)

March 2, 2010 at 5:55 pm | Reply
  44. Scott

What are Peter and Ace doing now, retired playing golf or fishing?

March 2, 2010 at 7:00 pm | Reply
  45. Jeffrey Tindillier

Gene / Paul –

How can you guys justify charging $100 per ticket? You guys have been on your farewell tour for what 4 years now ?

How much money is enough ?

From a 40 year Kiss fan

March 2, 2010 at 7:30 pm | Reply
  46. Jorge México

My question is if KISS have plans to re-release the KISS dvds like kissology series or kiss symphony o rock the nation live in HD on blu-ray disc?, and please come to México soon. Congratulations for the first 37 years of kisstory.

March 2, 2010 at 7:31 pm | Reply
  47. Mark Flanders

Have you guys thought about taking another stab at a concept album?
    e. g. Music from the Elder.

March 2, 2010 at 7:41 pm | Reply
  48. All Young People

As the population who listen to you slowly retire and enter homes in florida do you think you should keep preforming? The same songs for years. Years and years. Originality, got it. Well done.
    When do you think your prime will be?

March 2, 2010 at 7:49 pm | Reply
  49. Daniel Salcman

Will you do another 'twin record' to Sonic Boom as it was in 70's with Rock And Roll Over and Love Gun + in 80' with Creatures of the Night and Lick It Up??? It would be heaven for me 🙂 sorry for possibly mistakes in English...

March 2, 2010 at 9:48 pm | Reply
  50. TONY WHITFIELD[Los Angeles CA]

Hi guys

Hope all is well with the band on stage & off!!

My question is this will there ever be a Kiss superhero kind of cartoon???

If so will be for tv or the big screen.

I thank you for everything over the years!!!!!!!!!!!

Your Pal& Fan

TONY WHITFIELD

March 2, 2010 at 10:14 pm | Reply
  51. Zach Adkins

Will KISSOLOGY 4 be a continuation of KISSOLOGY 3 (2001-2010) or will it go back to the 70's, 80's, and 90's and have different shows and unreleased footage????

March 3, 2010 at 11:31 pm | Reply
  52. Mitch Lafon

Why do you never change your set list? You've played the same core songs for over a decade. Don't you think fans get tired of hearing the same old same old? With the fabulous Eric Singer and the terrific Tommy Thayer in the band – you have the possibility of covering any song in the KISS catalogue. Why limit yourself?

March 4, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Reply
  53. Val Pentony

Hi There, whats the BEST and the worst Birthday presents you have ever bought each other, be honest !!!!

March 4, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Reply
  54. Rowan Marques

You are truly THE BEST! Thank you for years of enjoyment of great music and lots of fun. Of all of your songs, do you each have a favorite? If so, which one? You should feel supremely proud of your selves for the role models and great artists you are. Can't wait to see you again this spring in Europe!

March 4, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Reply
  55. Jim Adams

I heard “Nothing to Lose” in 1974 when I was working a night shift in an old Elementary school. I cranked up the radio and that school rocked at 2:00 AM in the morning. I bought that album and have never stopped. I saw several KISS shows in the 70s and took my two boys to see them earlier in the decade. KISS still rocks and they always will. How do you keep your energy up for all your shows?

March 4, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Reply
  56. mayer shabetay

I am a 38 year old fan from Panama, and have been a fan since I was 8. I flew to Sunrise to see your show with my oldest son and wife, which at first she refused to go, but when that show started, she was jumping up and down.
    When will you include Panama (Central America) in your tour???

March 4, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Reply
  57. Magne

Hi-i like all your periods and i think Kiss made me like so much diffrent music when i grew up-everything from classic music up to trash metal,-but Do you regret that you went disco/ pop in the late 70's early 80's? You lost a lot of fans in that period, while Ac/dc took of with back in black...

March 4, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Reply
  58. Jimmy Teseniar

I have been a fan of you guys since the beginning and have collected all your albums a few times, and everytime they have been stolen so I gave up trying to collect them, but have gotten the urge once again and was just wondering is there any certain place that I can go to find all of your oringinal albums? A fan forever from Mississippi.

March 4, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Reply
  59. Kevin

I went to your show at the Sprint Center in Kansas City last Dec and it rocked; You coming back this year?

March 4, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Reply
  60. Amanda Young

What about KISS do you think transcends generations so easy?

March 4, 2010 at 6:31 pm | Reply
  61. Bruce the Deuce

I have been a fan for over three decades, and have always followed the progress and developments with interest. Watching you play at the Super Bowl was simply fantastic. The whole story is a very impressive and inspiring one; a tribute to hard work and determination. Heartfelt congratulations.

Whereas all of the other many replacements each had their own "characters", or were without makeup, this latest idea of having "new recruits" play in the same makeup and remake costumes from the Destroyer days...well frankly, it is a sort of blasphemy, no?

Don't you think that this belittles or makes a mockery of the original band? Without the original band, there would be nothing today. Shouldn't that be respected, most especially from yourselves Gene and Paul? One year you do a reunion tour with Ace and Peter with all the whistles and toots. Then some years later you head back out with a couple of imposters. I bet more than half of the people attending the shows don't even know what is going on. Why don't the two newcomers have their own makeup/costumes? Or why not chose to paint one with an ankh on their face, or dress up like an opossum or something?

I have supported you for 35 years, that I call this a disgrace against Ace and Peter. I see from some of the other comments, that I am not alone in my opinion.

Gene, Paul: What would you think if Eric and Tommy got a couple of clowns to dress up as the Bat Lizard and Starchild and go on tour?

March 4, 2010 at 7:19 pm | Reply
  62. Werner

Paul said that KISS will perform songs that haven`t been played a long time ago – can we expect to hear fine tunes like Crazy Crazy Nights, Tears are falling, Unholy,...? Sonic Boom is a killer album –
    See you soon on tour and never stop Rock`N Roll! Werner from Austria

March 4, 2010 at 7:27 pm | Reply
  63. Chip

I have been a huge KISS fan since 1976. I was in the fourth grade. For Christmas that year all I aske dfor was a KISS album. My first album was KISS Alive. The first song that i listened to was Rock Bottom....Awesome song. I have it on my ipod alone with many other KISS songs. Everytime hear you guys it always takes me back. My wife and I love you show Gene "Family Jewels". She has never seen you guys live but I have several times. I know this is out of the question, but if you would ever be willing to come to my small home town of Cherryville, NC and play for us, please do so! I don't care what anyone says, KISS is the greatest rock band in history....thanks!

March 4, 2010 at 7:43 pm | Reply
  64. Sean

After seeing The Who go down in flames I couldn't help but think what a perfect venue The Super Bowl would be for KISS. Was there an effort by you and Doc to get on this year? And if not, let's start early and start campaigning NOW, we can do this people!!

March 4, 2010 at 8:05 pm | Reply
  65. Marc in Virginia

Guys, how about another KISS movie? Let's face it, Phantom of the Park wasn't the best effort. I think a James Cameron collaboration would be amazing!

March 4, 2010 at 8:09 pm | Reply
  66. Charles in San Diego

Playing the "what if" game, do you think the reunion tour would've happened if Eric Carr had never passed away?

March 4, 2010 at 10:25 pm | Reply
  67. Greg

To Kevin Quail

Kevin, go fall in a hole somewhere. If you didn't care why would you bother posting a stupid comment.

Get a life. Go back to listening to The Back Street Boys, or something of that nature. I'm sure their music fits your style better.

March 4, 2010 at 10:39 pm | Reply
  68. Bob in Youngstown, OH

Will you be doing another lost cities tour, if so, come to Youngstown, Ohio? How about a KISS cruise with 2,000 of your fans on board with the band for a whole week? Will the KISS pinball machine be made into a game for WII or another video gaming device?

March 4, 2010 at 10:49 pm | Reply
  69. Keith

Video Game?

March 4, 2010 at 11:00 pm | Reply
  70. Steve

From Australia and I have been a fan since about 1980. Question: Who wrote the song "God of Thunder" and what was the inspiration for that song and its lyrics? Thanks

March 5, 2010 at 5:06 am | Reply
  71. George D.

I saw the opening of the Rock and Roll Over Tour in Savannah GA in 1976 at the age of 14. Caught the one in Greenville last year. Still just as Awesome!

How has the way the band spends freetime on the road between concerts changed over the years? Do the families travel with you? Do you guys spend leisure time together?

March 5, 2010 at 6:08 am | Reply
  72. Kurt

Gentlemen,
    Is there a future for KISS without Gene and Paul ?

March 5, 2010 at 10:10 am | Reply
  73. TOMAS

Are you considering Central and South America for your tour? Bands like Iron Maiden and Metallica are doing it...

March 5, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Reply
  74. Ace

¿Cuando podran venir a Mexico esq aqui ya los extrañamos y nos gustaria que vengan de nuevo? ¿Como se llama el maquillaje que se aplican ustedes?

March 5, 2010 at 3:46 pm | Reply
  75. Louise

Can you explain the creation/ development of your stage makeup and costumes?

March 5, 2010 at 6:55 pm | Reply
  76. jaime

I am your fan 31 years ago, I am from Colombia, and my question is: You was in my country 1 year ago (april 11-2009), that day was the better day in my life, when you think come to Colombia,? please, My country loves you, I love you and I hope see you again. Thanks and sorry for my english. I hope that you understand me

March 5, 2010 at 9:12 pm | Reply
  77. Alex224

KISS – I wonder was the big thrill of your carrer so far.

March 5, 2010 at 9:27 pm | Reply
  78. stuart

How do you suppose it possible Kiss made it so big when they are nothing more than a 'gimmick' band. I mean nobody in their right mind could take them seriously as a great rock band, now could they? They are just not in the same league as the Stones, Who, AC/DC, Zeppelin, Doors, Eagles, etc. etc. you know proper bands! Iv'e heard better bands playing in pubs here in Scotland, frequently! I can only presume it is some sort of mentality from the sort of people who wished they too could have run away and joined a circus!

March 5, 2010 at 9:51 pm | Reply
  79. TONY WHITFIELD[Los Angeles CA]

TO THE PERSON WHO MADE THE LAST COMMENT

AC/DC THE STONES THE WHO THE DOORS ETC ETC COOL BANDS ALL OF THEM!!!!

KISS IS BEYOND BEING A GIMMICK THEY ARE AN IDEA A MIND SET

OF FIRE BLOOD LOUD SOUNDS A SOUNDTRACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THEY ARE KISS!!!!!!!!!!!!! & THEY RULE NO MATTER WHAT THE ROCK N ROLL HALL OF FAME SAYS

SO BE IT

SO SHALL IT BE!!!!!!!!

TONY WHITFIELD

March 6, 2010 at 1:34 am | Reply
  80. brunette college girls

It is very interesting for me to read this post. Thank you for it. I like such topics and everything connected to them. I would like to read more on that blog soon.

Anete Hakkinen