Tune in at 16:00 London, 19:00 UAE

Monday's Connector: Black Eyed Peas

March 10th, 2010

They're one of the most celebrated hip hop dance acts on the planet and their songs which include "My Humps", "Where is the Love" and "I Gotta Feeling" have all gone platinum.

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/03/10/peas.blog.jpg
caption="The Black Eyed Peas take your questions."]

The "Black Eyed Peas" are made up of notable personalities including Will.I.Am, Taboo, Apl.De.Ap and of course, Fergie.

The band which formed in 1995 has already sold more than 25 million albums worldwide and have racked up six Grammy awards.

Their first worldwide hit was "Where is the Love" and it soon became the biggest selling single of 2003 in many countries, including the UK.

Their next album called "Monkey Business" was certified triple platinum in the U.S. and included the two hits "My Humps"and "Don't Phunk With My Heart".

The group continued its worldwide success and in 2009 it released another album called "The E.N.D." which according to Will.I.Am stands for "The Energy Never Dies".

"Boom Boom Pow" - the first single from the album remained at the top of the Billboard 100 charts for 12 straights weeks.

Subsequent songs from the album including "I Gotta Feeling" and "Meet me Halfway" all became stand out hits for the group.

Although members of the band have all tried various solo projects in both film and music, the group has remained together and continues to tour as the "Black Eyed Peas".

They're currently involved in a project with Samsung to promote a new range of 3D television sets that will be released to the public next month.

Here's your chance to ask all four members of the band a question.

Do you want to know any inside secrets of the group? Perhaps you want to know what song they enjoy performing the most?

Please leave your questions and comments below and let us know where you are writing from.

1. Jurgen R. Brul

Hello William James Adams, Allan Pineda Lindo, Jaime Luis Gomez, Stacy Ann Ferguson and CNN friends,

I would like an answer from Black Eyed Peas to the following questions:
    – My favorite Black Eyed Peas song is “Where Is the Love?”
    How is your lasted album inspiring people to Love?
    – What more can we expect of you all in 2010?
    – How can we all make our world a Better Healthier and Beautiful Place?

I am awaiting Black Eyed Peas’ replies.

Greetings,
    Jurgen R. Brul
    Hometown: Paramaribo
    Country: Suriname
    Latin-American

March 10, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Reply
  2. Cyndee

With all our of your talents, why aren't your songs less vulgar?

Why 'lovly lady lumps" and junk in my trunk, etc.?

Fergie, your voice is so powerful, but in some of the songs it seems like it gets hidden and changed by synthisizers and such.

And some of the songs seem to take away from your beauty and strength with all the underlying adult situations.

My daughters love your songs but sometimes when they repeat them it's not so appropriate for a 7 year old to sing them, so I have to pick and choose the songs they can listen to, wish more had lyrics that were cleaner, our society seems to be going to the toilet and music coming a close second to leading the way (behind politics) But you have such a good vibe, and aura and your talents are amazing, wish they weren't being hidden behind the yuck.

I am in Germany.

I do love your music, it's good to clean house to.

March 10, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Reply
  3. Bianca Velasco

Hi!

Love all your songs!!

Being celebrities that you are, do you really party hard the same way you show in your music videos?

Another thing is, when band members start having solo projects, they usually break up. You all had solo projects but are still going on strong as a band. What keeps you together?

Thanks and more power!!

Bianca Velasco

March 10, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Reply
  4. Jurgen R. Brul

I would like an answer from Black Eyed Peas to the following questions:
    – My favorite Black Eyed Peas song is “Where Is the Love?”
    How is your latest album inspiring people to Love?
    – What more can we expect of you all in 2010?
    – How can we all make our world a Better Healthier and Beautiful Place?
    I am awaiting Black Eyed Peas’ replies.
    Greetings,
    Jurgen R. Brul
    Hometown: Paramaribo
    Country: Suriname
    Latin-American

March 10, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Reply
  5. Greg VL

To the Black Eyed Peas:

Very excited to have the opportunity to ask you a few questions:

-Congratulations on the wild sucess your new album has enjoyed! What made you decide to take your new album The E.N.D. in such a vastly different direction than your previous albums?

-I absolutely loved your work with Sergio Mendes on Encanto and Timeless. Do you envision any further ventures into Brazilian/Bossa Nova with Sergio?

-Any comment on where the Black Eyed Peas might go on the next album?

Best of luck with everything,
    Greg VL
    Chicago, IL, USA

March 10, 2010 at 5:29 pm | Reply
  6. Harry James A

Hello mylovely Black Eyed Peas,
    I just want to know why you dont want to be going on African tours,knowing fully well that we Africans love your music.Kindly put it into consideration and plan some tours to this wonderful continent,more especially to Nigeria my country.
    I will be expecting a positive reply urgently.
    Thanks.
    Harry James A

March 10, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Reply
  7. Ana Burnier

I am a really huge fan of your talent and your band, but I was really disappointed by the video you made for the hit song 'I gotta a Feeling'!

How can you make a video which is an apology to heavy-drinking, heavy-drugs, and heavy-sex, the type of self-destructive behaviors that leads millions of people daily into life-long addictions... when you know that your image influence millions and millions of teenagers and pre-teens all over the world???

Sincerely,

Ana Burnier

March 10, 2010 at 7:18 pm | Reply
  8. LizKauai

I love your stuff- and as a grandmotherly-type, I can see the brilliance of your creations. The challenge to the world is to sweeten truthfulness with chastity and purity of thought and action.
    Will you take on this challenge?

I hope so!

Aloha and Mahalo!

March 10, 2010 at 7:33 pm | Reply
  9. Jennifer2

Powerful voice??? Did you ever hear Fergie sing accapella? Well, you wouldn't want to. She sounds only decent because of all the studio work. She also has breast augmentation if anyone ever noticed. The real power behind this group is Will.i.am. There are much better music out there.

March 10, 2010 at 7:37 pm | Reply
  10. lily

How do you guys define yourselves in music genre's of today? You're different than most out there.
    You've got a leading diva...but also are very much a band.

March 10, 2010 at 8:26 pm | Reply
  11. Felix Steiner

Do you ever in a deep, private moment wonder how is it that such silly, kiddy, junk could put all that money in your pocket? Wait a minute, Lady Gaga, Madonna, Brittany, Pink...nevermind!

March 10, 2010 at 9:26 pm | Reply
  12. Nonn

I am in South Africa JOHANNESBURG

yOU GUYS ARE TRULY AMAZING ,WHEN ARE YOU COMING BACK TO PERFORM IN SA AND WHEN ARE YOU COLLABORATING WITH A SOUTH AFRICAN ARTIST ?

March 10, 2010 at 9:35 pm | Reply
  13. jaque mehoff

sorry, but the lead knee grow can´t sing to save his sorry asse
    fergie is great.
    the others are great
    the lead knree grow should curl up and dye. he´s voice makes me puke

March 10, 2010 at 9:57 pm | Reply
  14. Fernando Z

I have followed your music since Bridging the Gap and I attended several of your concerts around that time. I loved the energy that you brought to the stage and the interaction that you had with the audience. I haven't been to your shows since and I was wondering how the energy of the group changed once Fergie joined. How did your stage presence evolve with her addition?

Thank you, and I look forward to seeing you at the Rodeo in Houston next week! It's been far too long between BEP shows for me

Fernando

March 10, 2010 at 10:05 pm | Reply
  15. Louise

Hi,

I saw you open for U2 late last year (2009) and I have tickets to your show in April. Looking forward to seeing you.

A couple of questions come to mind...

Can you explain the story of the band name "Black eye peas". Who thought of it? What is the meaning?

Where is the band based out of? Do you also record in the same city?

Does the band write all the songs? How does that normally work? Someone brings in a melody, someone else writes the words. Do you do this independently or all togther?

How long does it take to write and record and B.E.P. album?

Does the band get involved in the artwork in your videos and album covers?

What instruments is everyone capable of playing?

Are all the members of the band still completing personal project? What does this include solo signing, acting, clothing design?

What is up with the army themed clothing? Michael Jackson has a similiar theme going on for many years.

Who do you admire in the industry and what inspires you?

What else do would you like to accomplish?

March 10, 2010 at 10:12 pm | Reply
  16. Moshe Silverstein

The first song of yours I ever heard was "Where is the Love?". Wow! What an amazing song! I cried the first 3 times I listened to it. I'm sure it became popular because the lyrics really touched people's hearts. It's such an important message about values in our confused and violent society.
    But then, "my lovely lady lumps"????

I don't get it. Are you just going for the $$$ of being crass?

March 10, 2010 at 11:29 pm | Reply
  17. Cesar

I have no questions to ask the Peas. I just want to tell them how much I appreciate their kind of music. It's clean and decent,, not the least offensive in both sound and lyrics, that even old conservative folks like me can relate to. I am a grandpa in my mid 70s from the Philippines. I just love to hear the music this group makes. They're exceptionally terrific!

March 10, 2010 at 11:32 pm | Reply
  18. Bethany

Why do you not offer radio-versions of your songs on iTunes, where the four-letter words are left out? My 6 and 9-year-old love you, but I can't buy the iTunes songs and let them sing along to the bad words!! Most artists offer clean and original versions. Would you consider starting that? Great tunes....kids love 'em too!

March 10, 2010 at 11:35 pm | Reply
  19. Egyptian Girl

Hello From EGYPT!!!
    You can seriously never imagine how well you're known here and loved by many fans!
    -Are you ever planning to have a concert in Egypt?
    -Any news about the up coming album?
    Thanks for the great music!!!

March 10, 2010 at 11:51 pm | Reply
  20. Louise

I feel like one of your most influential songs you've had is "Where Is the Love?"- it's written with passion and force, but also with tenderness and sensitivity; it points out the faults of our society and hints at the environmental and socail demonds our generation needs to combat. It's pure poetry, but for the modern youth.

My question is, where is that type of writing in your songs now?

You have this amazing ability to grab people with your epic beats and to be able to start a movement of social action, yet your songs now have become so comercial, and has reduced your groups amazing writing talent to pure repitition...in my humble 22 year old oppinion. I want the old BEP back!

March 11, 2010 at 12:47 am | Reply
  21. Kevin Quail

Why is rock music so simplistic and sucks so bad? You guys don't honestly think you're creating great art that will still be around in 100 years like Bach, Bird, Stravinsly or Coltrane, do you?

March 11, 2010 at 1:42 am | Reply
  22. Vicki

Ok, so people need to stop being so RUDE. This is a forum to ask questions, not spread hateful opinions that should be kept in your own blogs or wherever you think you need to spread your hatred in this world. Keep it to yourself if you can't be civil!

I am a very modest person who doesn't normally like this type music, but I LOVE THE BLACK EYED PEAS!! 🙂 The music, no matter how I am feeling on a given day, always makes my toes tap and my body rock.

I agree with a few posts before mine about the language used in some songs, but the melody makes up for it..

I saw you open for U2 and LOVED that my two favorites groups performed together! Thanks a million!

I would love to see you play in North Texas again in the near future! We all love you here!!

March 11, 2010 at 3:41 am | Reply
  23. jesus garcia

Hello guys, I live in Cabo San Lucas Mexico and my whole family and myself are very big fans of your band...we are so into your music that we(5) are all going to your concert in San Diego on april 3rd to celebrate my daughter's YVETTE 14TH BIRTHDAY BLACK EYED PEAS STYLE...so my question is:

could you say FELICIDADES YVETTE before you play "I Gotta Feeling" that night in San Diego??

JESUS

March 11, 2010 at 3:42 am | Reply
  24. Jed Douglas

What was the deal with the violent situation with Perez Hilton when he said he did not like Wil.I.Am's music....What is the real story? Thanks
    Jed

March 11, 2010 at 4:22 am | Reply
  25. Hamish

Why did you sell out?

March 11, 2010 at 4:23 am | Reply
  26. Jason G.

To all members– how do you explain your success in the industry despite your absolutely terrible "music" and unattractive female lead?

March 11, 2010 at 7:17 am | Reply
  27. twets

Now that you have achieved the superheights of fame and fortune with your (great and always differing) music how do you plan to channel it into something 'outside yourselves'? ie do you fund charities or have your own foundations- what philanthropic goals do each of you aspire to?

I appreciate Will.I.Am's "it's a new day" because it really means something – other plans to involve the power of thought or action into your music?

Of course my new anthem is "I gotta feeling" as one of the happiest songs I know!
    Thanks
    Twets
    Switzerland

March 11, 2010 at 7:44 am | Reply
  28. Jenny Rivamonte

Mabuhay Kabayan!

What makes me proud of Black Eyed Peas is, one of their member is a Filipino! Love your songs guys!

My questions are:
    1. Are you planning for a concert in Europe? Particularly in Greece?
    2. What is the meaning of Black Eyed Peas?
    3. If you have your concert in Greece, i will be there 101%, could please shout in the crowd my name? lols

More power guys and God bless!

Jenny Rivamonte

March 11, 2010 at 7:56 am | Reply
  29. Evrock

you guys rock – Keep it up.

Will- you are a truly talented brotha.

Fergie – don't listen to the playa hater – your hot!

March 11, 2010 at 8:59 am | Reply
  30. BaffaMustapha

I'm a true fan. My 1st question :What the backstory on HOW it really began back in 1995?
    2nd Q goes to Fergie,HOW are u managing to cope with all men around? WHATS the secret?
    Kano-Nigeria.

March 11, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Reply
  31. Kanyarusoke Bob

What have your group done to keep together different from other groups which were formed and split the latest being pussy cat dogs?

Kampala, Uganda

March 13, 2010 at 7:50 am | Reply
  32. Keira

My question is: With all your fame & fortune, what keeps you grounded as human beings?

March 15, 2010 at 1:08 am | Reply
  33. Frank D'souza

Hello CNN, I'm Frank D'souza in London, UK.
    Ive been a fan of The Black Eyed Peas since back in the late 90's when they were signed to Ruthless Records. In those days they were clearly a Hip hop group. Since then for the past decade or so we have witnessed the metamorphosis of their sound,look & even fan base.
    My question to The Black Eyed Peas is; Where do they put their latest music genre-wise? Is it still considered Hip hop, pop, electronic or even world music? Do they follow the "in" trend in music at that particular time?
    Thank you.

March 15, 2010 at 8:25 am | Reply
  34. JZ

Hey Peas!
    Some rumours at my label hint about BEP collaboration with Lady GaGa? Any truth in this?
    Thanks,
    JZ

March 15, 2010 at 9:10 pm | Reply
  35. Christine

Hi I'm Christine from Brooklyn, NY.

Do you think it is important to interact with your fans? How do you interact with them.

Your current tour is taking place in huge arenas. Do you prefer performing large shows like this where you can reach more fans, or smaller, more intimate performances where you can really connect with the audience.

March 15, 2010 at 9:18 pm | Reply
  36. Laetitia

Hi guys,

Really love your songs. Any chances of having a second concert in Belgium this Spring? The tickets for the May 19th concert sold out 30 minutes after they starting selling the tickets.
    Please schedule a second concert. It rains too much in BeNeLux, we need fun concerts.

Your faithful fan in Belgium,

Laetitia

March 15, 2010 at 9:27 pm | Reply
  37. Sebastian

Hi
    My name is Sebastian and I'm from Munich/Germany.
    First Happy Birthday to will.i.am!
    My question is what he expects/wishes for his next 35 years..

March 15, 2010 at 9:42 pm | Reply
  38. James

In this video, the female commentator stated that one of the members of the Black Eyed Peas used to be a member of the Fugees... I can only assume that she has confused Will.I.Am with Wyclef Jean or maybe Pras. To the best of my knowledge there were only 3 members of The Fugees (Wyclef, Pras, and Lauren Hill) and none of them are members of the Black Eyed Peas.

March 18, 2010 at 9:29 pm | Reply
  39. ivonne guardado

hi my name is Ivonne and i live in San Diego California and i love you guys and i think you guys are the best,and i love all your songs and i think you guys made a great effort of working hard on all your albums i like all of your songs but this 3 songs are my favorite and my favorite song of you guys is "Meet Me halfway"and the other 2 songs that i like is "Where Is The Love"&"Boom Boom Pow"and don't stop keep going because you guys are doing a great job

March 22, 2010 at 4:41 am | Reply