Tune in at 16:00 London, 19:00 UAE

Friday's Connector: Michael Moore

March 16th, 2010

You either love him or you hate him - it's a quality that filmmaker Michael Moore is very familiar with.

What do you want to ask Michael Moore?

What do you want to ask Michael Moore?

The left-leaning liberal is about as controversial as you can get when it comes to his politics and films.

His range of hard hitting movies blasts everything from George W. Bush to capitalism.

However, Moore's first hand account and confrontational style of filmmaking has put four of his documentaries in the top ten highest grossing docos of all time and in 2002, Moore won the Academy Award for "Bowling for Columbine".

In 2007, Moore released his film, "Sicko" which investigated the crippling healthcare industry in the U.S. - a subject that Moore is extremely passionate about.

Today, as President Obama struggles to pass his very own healthcare reform, Moore has ripped apart his version of the bill, saying it would "be a death sentence for literally tens of thousands of people".

Here's your chance to ask Michael Moore your question.

Do you want to know how he would solve the healthcare crisis? What does he think of President Obama's handling of the country so far? Would he vote for President Obama again?

Please leave your questions below and remember to tell us where you're writing from so we can include it on the show.

1. Keira

While the current health care bill is not perfect, it's still better than nothing. My question is: do you agree that the Obama administration waited too long to 'debunk' the cries about 'death panels' & govt-run health care from the right? Also, do you think the 'public option' might be the "cure" for the bill??

Thanks,

Keira
    NY

March 16, 2010 at 5:40 pm | Reply
  2. Joanna Blacklock

Do you think that the health care system should be similar to that of Canada and Britain. They may not be perfect but are far superior to that of the United States? We only have to wait if the situation is not very serious. Emergencies are treated promptly at no cost to the patient.

March 16, 2010 at 11:19 pm | Reply
  3. Katie

Mr. Moore, do you feel that universal health care may truly have a future? I for one am ashamed that the U.S. is the only industrialized country without it.

March 16, 2010 at 11:48 pm | Reply
  4. Mike Jakeson

In either a socialized or private medical system, do you believe people who induce higher costs (smokers, obese, stuntmen, etc) should be charged higher rates?

March 16, 2010 at 11:57 pm | Reply
  5. Keith Bardell

Many Americans are upset that the bill was crafted "behind closed doors," masking which legislators are working for us, and which are working for the pharmacuitcal companies. How would you propose to open those doors and force discussions to be made public, each step of the way?
    Keith Bardell, Freeport, Illinois

March 17, 2010 at 12:37 am | Reply
  6. Devon W. Hackelton

I have heard you claim that President Obama is lacking the initiative that he demonstrated while campaigning and that you would be his head advisor or cheerleader in the White House in exchange for a cot in the corner. In your opinion, how much of "getting things accomplished" (healthcare reform, immigration, jobs bills, etc.) is dependent on a leader's charisma and passion as opposed to being dependent on a leader's ability to commit to the nitty-gritty phone calls, small meetings and horse trading that is the status quo of Washington?

March 17, 2010 at 2:11 am | Reply
  7. Devon in CA

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Devon

March 17, 2010 at 2:12 am | Reply
  8. Paul Seda

Left vs. Right. What is it that congress doesn't get ?
    How do Americans that cannot afford health insurance get equal rights to the pursuit of happiness by way of being treated fairly in the medical system? Or is it just impossible and it's all about who's side are you on?

March 17, 2010 at 2:18 am | Reply
  9. Steven Seibold

I'm sorry but I disagree.
    I don't believe that a bad bill is better than no bill.

A bad situation is better than no situation?
    If the American people, Congress, Senate and house
    feel this bill is a bad predicament, than it should not
    become law.

I'm not saying that your thinking is flawed. I just disagree.

March 17, 2010 at 3:57 am | Reply
  10. dean

Ask Americans and you may get many opinions on health care reform. Outside the U.S. almost every one agrees. how can a country not offer health care to all its citizens.

March 17, 2010 at 4:20 am | Reply
  11. mcamelyne

How would you pay for a single payer plan?

March 17, 2010 at 4:30 am | Reply
  12. CRIS

Michael Moore...
    When Obama got elected you promised & boasted
    in a letter[ 6-1-09 your site]... outlining the wonders in store.. {to quote you ..."I find myself filled with... "joy" at the death of GM & ascendancey of Obama!
    We you stated,,,..."You & I own a car company now." It's a pity GM didn't have you around to micro manage them.. Maybe Obama will ask you to sit on the Board.

What happened to these Michael Moore Visions:???

1] Green jobs all around.. We would be making lite rail trains
    and buses.. Cars are not a 21st Century need.
    2} Instead...No one would need a car... we'd be riding to work on
    buses or trains. EVen in the rural areas buses will be used.
    3] all the laid off GM workers will be retrained to make all these
    buses and trains..

Especially kool...was your advice to have Obama add a "$2" tax to
    every gallon of gas... to help pay for this collective fantasy..

{Lard Ass -Limo Lefty } ...... Michael. Moore ..you are a "horror" story.
    We look forward to your future letters/ & pronouncements .... Perhaps a 5 year plan ..a la fellow traveler General Stalin..

Per your final sentence... [ Get ready CNN readers in Amerika for wonder boy's final summation...]
    .Quote.. " 60 % of GM is ours.... I think we can do better "

Reminder from Herr Hitler... "Give me 5 years & you won't recognize
    Germany again "

America hopefully won't give this looser 5 minutes!!! Read this
    guys site.... It's both hilarious & scary !!

Michael ....just may make the history as another " community organizer" .. along with this gang of blunders ie Hitler / Stalin & Mao... .!!!

March 17, 2010 at 5:28 am | Reply
  13. Zach, China

Do you believe in God?

March 17, 2010 at 5:41 am | Reply
  14. Peo i Tokyo

Michael, thank you alway for you inspiring courage! Having worked with environmental issues for 25 years, I am often wondering "When`s Michael Moore taking on the "nature-thieves" on this Planet?". Do you have any plans for environmental ducumentaries like the loss of spieces, waste or the climate crises?

March 17, 2010 at 6:08 am | Reply
  15. Bill Page

This is from a UK citizen who has lived in Japan for almost 25 years.

My question is:
    Do you know of any other country health care service models that would serve as good examples for comparison?

Personally, I think the UK system is good but difficult to sustain and it puts the burden on the employed to pay for everyone. Whereas the Japanese model means that we pay into the system a portion each month based on previous year's income. Then when we go for treatment we then pay a small charge at the hospital. It seems to work very well and the attention to medical needs is quick and proactive. The yearly/bi-yearly full medical with follow-up advice is superb and seems to help prevent further costs later down the line.

Anyway, much admire the work you have done to date and was very much impressed with your recent CNN interview on this topic.

Good luck!

Bill (Tokyo)

March 17, 2010 at 7:28 am | Reply
  16. Burton

We cant go on reinventing the wheel, therefore lets learn from the positives and negatives of how the NHS in the UK has done, and then go ahead and implement a customized version of that in the US.
    How simple is that?

March 17, 2010 at 8:05 am | Reply
  17. chris

I'm an Australian from way outback in Alice Springs who has lived both here and in New Zealand and who watches in horror as I see Americans try and read some sort of socialist/communist agenda into a government actually wanting to do what it supposed to do, look after its people! In New Zealand every citizen just walks into a public hospital or Doctor's clinic and gets treated, no money, that's it. In Australia we pay a little towards treatment but all citizen's are looked after equally. Do you think that it is America's famous ignorance of the rest of the world and the way that it operates that drives this fear of change?

March 17, 2010 at 8:40 am | Reply
  18. Louise

Health care is really in chaos in the US. Added to that, the financial situation for people over 65 is critical in many countries, as well as in the US. In Europe, we are "allowed" to work, but are prevented from continuing to work on the permanent contracts we already have.

That is, in the midst of all of the current high unemployment numbers, we have to look for work – at 65. If older people were financially more stable, they wouldn't have so much trouble with health care issues.

Has this situation changed in the US over the years? How are older people doing in the financial crisis? Could you do a new movie on forced "retirement" in the world? I love your films and think they really make people think. "Sicko" was one of the best films I've ever seen.

March 17, 2010 at 8:49 am | Reply
  19. Ralph Tintle

I was born and raised in the USA, but I have lived most of my life in Germany and England. I cannot imagine living in a country where you could die from a disease because you cannot afford to pay for treatment. Universal "free" healthcare is great, and it works well in both those countries. It gives you peace of mind, just one less thing to worry about.

The US has the most expensive health care in the world. Not hard to understand when hospitals are faced with malpractice insurance fees that are equal to or more than a doctor's salary.

The practice of awarding outrageous sums of money in injury and other law suits in the USA has driven the cost of health care and many other things sky high. But the bigger the law suit, the more lawers earn. And Washington is run by lawyers.

March 17, 2010 at 8:54 am | Reply
  20. Daniel

Mr Moore,

If you were to run for President, who would you choose to be your running mate?

Daniel
    Brisbane, Australia

March 17, 2010 at 9:06 am | Reply
  21. Al Moran

From Asturias

Hello Mike, are you considering to do a documentary about the Vatican and/or all the scandals (not only sexual ones) surrounding Catholicism?.

March 17, 2010 at 9:36 am | Reply
  22. brommer

I watched sicko once ,, twice , and many times pieces of ,,or, about sicko....and boy it tooke me ..nailed my head to the screen,and whenever i jumped i shouted,,michael moore i love you,,you son of.......
    shame on you amerika , not to pass a health care bill yet.
    michael, what can i say ,,that they handeling a health care bill is a goode deal because of you,,....sicko...
    that ,you are good fore 50 mil, $,...and didn't ,,,,,loose your.. soul......
    Michael Moore , i bow fore you.

March 17, 2010 at 9:47 am | Reply
  23. Dominic

Dear Michael,

I live in Austria, where healthcare is universal. While a large chunk of our salaries goes to social contributions, we are provided with a formidable healthcare system in which everyone has access and is taken care of.

I think it is an outrage that some Americans are attempting to brand healthcare as a communist, even Nazi, threat to the country. The US is supposed to be the most educated, advanced society in the world, yet there are people actually drawing comparisons between Hitler and Obama – I guess it must be the FOX News effect.

My question to you is of a more political nature: how would one ensure greater transparency with regard to elements of healthcare reform so that the ignorant right in the US cannot attempt to frame this as a communist ploy? On a domestic level, I believe this would be one of the most important hurdles to overcome.

Dominic (writing from Vienna, Austria)

March 17, 2010 at 10:25 am | Reply
  24. Graham

Hi Michael,

I think that your work is brilliant; it has the right blend of irreverence, drama, seriousness and humour to convey the very important message behind it all.

If you could take all the money that the U.S. puts into weapons, bombs and missles what would YOU spend it on and why?

Graham
    Abu Dhabi, UAE

March 17, 2010 at 11:36 am | Reply
  25. Benjamin Vanbrocklin

Hello,

I am writing from The Netherlands were they have a social health care system in place. I am an American citizen and have been living here since 1996 and since I have been here I pay into the social health care system and I cannot complain about the service or treatment I get. Before I came to the Netherlands I had never gone to the dentist because our family simply could not afford the insurance or the dentist fees, when I came to The Netherlands I went to the dentist and got all my teeth fixed and go now to check ups every 6 months for almost free. My girlfriend recently had a knee surgery were she was out of work for 6 months and is finishing an 8 month rehabilitation program for almost free. I think that a governments responsibility to their people is to give them an opportunity for a free education, security, general freedom and affordable health care, if they do not offer these things the gap between the haves and have-nots will continue to grow until eventually a revolution must follow, apply the above four freedoms to any country in the world that is currently having major problems in their society due to the lack of one of these freedoms and you may find this to be true.

Best regards,
    Ben

March 17, 2010 at 11:54 am | Reply
  26. Rhonda Windsor

There is a huge misconception that Canadians dont pay for their heathcare. WRONG. We are one of the highest taxed citizens in the world. The Canadian and provincial governments pay for the healthcare. Where do they get the money for all of this.. taxes.

To say that emergencies are treated and quickly at not cost to Canadians.. Not so.. Waiting times are long in the ER even for true emergencies. Case in point.. I waited from 6:30PM on Saturday til 2:30 AM Sunday before I saw a Dr. with a strangulated bowel which could have killed me. I had to wait til 9 PM that night before I had surgery. I subsequently lost 2 feet of my small intestine.

I will say that once I got to the care the care was good. But getting there certainly cost me.

No system is perfect, but what does it tell you when a Premier of Newfoundland leaves home to travel stateside for surgery he did not want to wait for at home. AND HE IS A BIGSHOT and still could not get to the head of the queue.

If Mr. Moore does not like the current system, why not come up with his own comprehensive proposal that incorporates all of the best of every system in the world.. and present it to the president.

March 17, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Reply
  27. Adam

I am an American that is living in Norway. You see Norway only with rose colored glasses. You did not see the over crowded hospitals with people placed in the hallways because all the rooms were filled. My wife had to wait for over a day and a half to have her her ruptured appendix operated on. If they had just done a CT scan right away, they would have seen this as the problem but to save money (and the fact that there was not enough staff for all the patients), they just gave her morphine to "treat" her.
    The hospitals in USA have better service but you do have to have health insurance. They say health care in Norway is free but you do pay taxes for it and it is not to the standard the USA has.

March 17, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Reply
  28. Verna

If we are going to be forced to buy into this insurance, what happens to my present insurance coverage?
    I am happy with my coverage.
    I have Medicare part A and part B, then I have Tricare For Life, as I am a unremarried widow of a deceased military personnal.

March 17, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Reply
  29. PSingh

I am a citizen of India and have spent the last 8 years in US and UK. I am a big fan of your movies.
    Do you have any plans to use your inspirational work and help out the issues for countries like India?
    Or atleast start a franchise in which your style can be used by journalists or film makers in India to tickle and provoke people’s attitude and thought ..

March 17, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Reply
  30. Joserh

Hi everyone.

Mister Moore. I think you are right in your fight. Sadly when someone gets sick, hi/she/they try to recover health at any cost and regretfully hospitals, pharmaceuticals and doctors exploit the need of people. Health care systems most be universal goverment controled but not without supervision.

thanks

March 17, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Reply
  31. Roy Scrivner

Do you think that Bush was the start of this country's downfall.

March 17, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Reply
  32. Rob from Canada

Hi Michael.

In the public eye, you are always very vocal, passionate & seem genuinely worried about the state of affairs in the USA today. My question to you is, do you ever take a break from the crusade, clear your mind, kick back & enjoy yourself. And if so, what is your favorite leisure activity?

March 17, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Reply
  33. Sam Swithells

From the UK:

Please could you tell me if you've ever had any legitiamate response to the investigations, claims and facts presented in your film Farenhiet
    911?

March 17, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Reply
  34. Rodrigo Gonzalez

what are the global master minds planning for the world? Where are they leading us to? Are they going to wake up one day and claim "that´s it, we did it"? Didn´t they have enought with 1929 crack, wwi, wwii, vietnam, 9/11?

Anti system works like yours are a need for a misleading world. But the avalange from the other side (the "right" side) is simply enormous and have billions times more exposition than yours.

There are billions of people that continue living the dream of the matrix. And there are so few that know or at least cuestion "reality" as "they" expose it to us.

They are being succesfull on feeding us with crap, giving us the worst education to be easyly manipulated, showing violence as something normal rutine that happens, showing the same news, at the same time, in the same order of appearence on an infinite number of media channels. They made our lives speedy,not to have more free time, but to fill those holes with more and more things to be busy on.

Now we are here, 2010. The manipulation escalation accelerating. It seems to me no more power can be handle. So when are they going to be satisfied?

March 17, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Reply
  35. Judith, from Netherlands

In the Nederland we used to have "free" healtcare but since 3 years
    everybody is required to have an healt insurance. These companies are backed by the goverment end they have less freedom than health
    insurance companies in the US. They still make profit just not the same kind of profits than in the US. I think this is a good solution for the US, what do you think?

March 17, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Reply
  36. Virginia Ann McHugh

Hi Michael, will you really read all of these posts? Yikes:)
    Watched you on Larry King...loved what you had to say.
    Keep on doing what you do....you are a remarkable person. Thanks. V.

March 17, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Reply
  37. Ruth Molloy

Thank you Mr. Moore, for all your hard work, and the compassion which seems to be your motivation.
    -How can we get the public to realize that the phrase "elected officials" has its origins in the concept of "public servant"; and that to think of our office-holding, publicly-funded legislative representatives in any other way than public servant, elevates them beyond accountability?
    -Can you publicize a figure to help people understand what they pay for warfare, per person, as compared to what they would pay for a national health care system (Medicare for All, Everybody in! Nobody out!) on an individual level?-Peace, Ruth,SinglePayer, HudsonValley

March 17, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Reply
  38. YOGESH MURARI,M.D.

TOOTHBRUSH IN A HOSPITAL COSTS $1000.00 FOR AN UNINSURED INDIVIDUAL BUT BLUE CROSS/SIGNA/UHC OR MEDICARE PAYS FEW PENNYS FOR IT AND THE BALANCE IS WRITTEN OFF DUE TO IN NETWORK PRENEGOTIATED RATES.CAN WE HAVE A FEDERAL PLAN WITH MINIMUM ENROLMENT FEE,WHO CAN NEGOTIATE RATES FOR UNINSURED PER STATE MEDICAID ALLOWABLE? I BELIEVE THIS WILL SAVE MILLIONS TO UNINSURED AND RELIEVE THE FINANCIAL STRESS ON THE GOVERNMENT.CALL IT MEDIMATCH.

March 17, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Reply
  39. Mehmet

Michael, I am a big fan of yours. Keep on doing it but don't do it alone. Don't wear yourself out by going at it alone.

March 17, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Reply
  40. Greg DeGraf

Thanks, Michael, for this opportunity. Is it possible to get the names of the people who buy stock in insurance companies? Can we learn the names of people who would harm us in this way? I mean, In court you get to see whomever is victimizing you face-to-face. Can we learn who these stockholders are? If not then why not? Also, we often hear about the CEOs of insurance companies and how much money they make, But what about the employees? Seems to me wether an employee makes thirty thousand dollars a year or a million, he/she is still part of the con. What would you say to those who work for the insurance industry?

March 17, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Reply
  41. chuck burnz

Dennis could you please ask Why the president played us like a violin suggesting he was for the public option. His flight and fight with Cuccinich proves he will fight for what he really wants, and the Public Option was not it, Am I right to feel abandoned, and is a good response to drop out of the process entirely, I will never vote again.
    What's the point?

March 17, 2010 at 6:00 pm | Reply
  42. Jules Cooper

I'm tired. How does one motivate people who are worked to the bone? Am I a failure because I don't want to care about this anymore? Work, kids, house, health, where is there time for social revolution? It will have to be in our jobs, through our kids, with our house and using our health. I don't see any other way. My local representative has become a mute point. She is mindless, I've checked. And my federal representative is diluted being that those numbers never increase but population keeps growing. How does the same number of representatives in congress effect when their numbers of constituents continues to balloon? I like you. You're funny. Want to come to dinner? I'm a great cook. Let me know when you are in Oregon? I'm not making a pass...

March 17, 2010 at 6:55 pm | Reply
  43. Jason Jewell

If capitalism is so bad, why don't more people move into the mountains and live off the land?

Jason Jewell
    Santa Barbara, CA

March 17, 2010 at 7:01 pm | Reply
  44. Steve Connor (in the UK)

Why is it that many Americans think that getting together to help each other is socialism and 'therefore a bad thing'. While building up a fortune for yourself by exploiting others is 'good'?

March 17, 2010 at 10:07 pm | Reply
  45. Anne Senk

Dear Michael,
    1. I really like you and your work – keep it up. 2. Is there a list of all the corporations in our country that shows how much their CEO's and executives are compensated, and what portion of the corporation's income goes to this compensation? Example: I've read about Costco, and how the CEO takes a reasonable salary and pays the employees well. As a consumer, I wish there was a "shopping guide" list of corporations so I could choose where I put my money, so I am not supporting greed.

I am from Salida, CA.

March 17, 2010 at 11:46 pm | Reply
  46. Jon Acord

If Wall street crashes a 2nd time who is going to bail them out? What kind of regulations would you propose to fix the issue?

March 18, 2010 at 12:40 am | Reply
  47. Cathy Sywulsky

Hello Michael,
    As a Canadian taxpayer and user of the medical system, I have nothing but thanks to say to the governments who keep it running.
    On the other hand, the insurance companies we pay into for ie. disability coverage, are becoming owned more and more by American outfits, and consequently, are becoming more and more cut throat, and profit driven.
    It's pretty pathetic that you have to fight to collect money from a policy that is paid by you to be there incase you have need of it.
    Thanks for the forum to vent, keep up the great work.

Disabled, broke, and frustrated in BC.

March 18, 2010 at 1:55 am | Reply
  48. Alexis

Hi Michael,

I have a 2 suggestions. The first one is regarding the extra features you put on "Sicko." The labor class man in Texas who had cancer, and he had to pay 400,000 + dollars, who ended up passing away; as well as the other cases that you showed in your extra features: Why don't you push for the executives for that insurance company to be investigated?

The second one is about Cheney and Bush. Why don't you push for them to be investigated?

Thanks,
    Alexis

March 18, 2010 at 2:04 am | Reply
  49. Lori

The privatization of education is next Mike. Arne Duncan ran the most militarized school system in the country when he was in Chicago. He is a privatizer and union buster. I worked hard for, donated to, and voted for Obama. I won't make that mistake again.

Lori

March 18, 2010 at 3:31 am | Reply
  50. Lori

Michael, please make a movie about the privatization of education. It's coming. Obama and Duncan's corporate view of eduction is No Child Left Behind on steroids. I hope the NEA and AFT join forces and make Obama a one-term president. I hope he has a primary opponent in 2012. I didn't leave the Democratic Party, it left me. Same goes for Obama and his thugs.

Wisconsin Democrat Who Voted For Obama

March 18, 2010 at 3:34 am | Reply
  51. Tucker Warner

Do you think the best place for Obama to focus on would be destroying destructive Corporate Agenda's? Wouldn't this force health insurance–as well as other–companies to provide better plans for their customers?

Thanks Michael,

Tucker Warner
    GA

March 18, 2010 at 4:05 am | Reply
  52. Robert Skillstad

President Obama is such a sellout disappointment that can democracy in America still survive when both major political parties no longer seem to be interested in really turning the country around from the corporations that now control it? (Note even recession hit Mad magazine has new cover with Alfred E. Neuman suggesting America's love for Obama is gone.)

March 18, 2010 at 4:12 am | Reply
  53. fadil

You know we cannot rely on the Dems and Republicans... Will you consider running for the office in the near future?

March 18, 2010 at 4:21 am | Reply
  54. cindi registered nurse

does the current proposed healthcare bill do anything about co-pays and deductables and a cap on lifetime expenses? will this bill be of any help to the many who have insurance but are still filing "medical" bankrupty at alarming rates? are we still going to go broke even with this so called "reform"???
    the public option or a medicare buy in is the only way to control costs and give access to everyone.
    if this passes it is corporate welfare for the insurance companies with no end in site and people still dying.

March 18, 2010 at 4:40 am | Reply
  55. Maxwell Genaw

What do you think about Glenn Beck or Alex Jones?

March 18, 2010 at 5:16 am | Reply
  56. Craig Broder

Dear Michael

I would like to speak with you about an excellent story about the Canadian Justice System, it is personal and I have all the documents to possibly interest you in a documentary.

Please e mail or phone me 403-932-9992

If you would like to research it on the internet, "Broder Buck"

Regards,
    Craig Broder

March 18, 2010 at 5:33 am | Reply
  57. Gary

Michael you were right about Dodd, And health care issue. The dems. won the election, and they still dont have the balls to do the right things. They are all owned by the weathly and corporations and wall street. You advicate peaceful protest. It won't work the people in power will never give up that power. The masses need to rise up in a bloody rebellion for true change. I hate to quote this but " true change comes only through the barrel of a gun." Wake up america.

March 18, 2010 at 5:36 am | Reply
  58. Jamie Wilson

Why doesn't moore also criticize Hollywood for promoting the same ideals of corporatism and greed?

March 18, 2010 at 5:46 am | Reply
  59. Jamie Wilson

When are you going to do a movie about the Supreme Court and how they destroyed our democracy by allowing corporations to now spend unlimited amounts on candidates? Now they don't have to buy elections in secret. They can do it out in the open.

March 18, 2010 at 5:53 am | Reply
  60. John Palermo

Michael, Have you considered doing an analytical film on the rightwing media, illustrating the exploitation of their audience's faith in their narrative?

March 18, 2010 at 6:12 am | Reply
  61. Ed Tee

How sad and sick is this new (scam) healthcare bill... Mike ..you are so correct.. money, money, money/cash,cash, cash in the pockets of the pharmecutical companies... do the Candian thing... it's called ... we are all equal.... but then people abuse it too... they get fat and lazy and don't care about their health due to it being a free benefit ... all tax payers pay for those twits who smoke and abuse their bodies... cause its free... but they die sooner and save us all the BS in the end... until then though.. taxpayers pay big time....

March 18, 2010 at 8:27 am | Reply
  62. Ed Tee

Barrie Ontario Canada... sorry ... thank you so very much... Michael ... your a blast ... we love you .. the Molson Brewery skit was a killer...good for you and all your staff etc....

March 18, 2010 at 8:34 am | Reply
  63. Ed Tee

If you are a smoker, abuse alcohol and even semi-obese .. you should pay extra for health care ... easily tested and visual... period... that would cut the costs big time... healthy people should never pay for idiots... period.. if you abuse your body ,.... you are on your own and should be cut from any healthcare plan.

March 18, 2010 at 8:55 am | Reply
  64. Jeremy Dumkrieger

Michael

I vote. I call my representatives. I have gotten my friends to vote. I've asked my friends to call their representatives. I have even protested to change things – nothing is working to stop this greed machine and their cronies.

What do we do now?

Thanks Mike!

Jeremy Dumkrieger

March 18, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Reply
  65. Clark

Hi Michael, first i'd like to encourage you to keep up the good work. I would like to see you make a film highlighting the lobbying industry. If we really want change in America, stopping the lobbyists should be our top priority. The financial influence of companies not only from within America but from abroad as well is very much undermining democracy in America.

March 18, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Reply
  66. Lucio

Hi Michael,

You argue that the part of the health reform legislation dealing with preexisting conditions is weak. You have repeatedly said [1,2,3] that it would impose fines of $100 per day on insurance companies for each person they deny coverage based on preexisting conditions. Your point is that the insurance companies will have a financial motivation to deny coverage if somebody's health costs would exceed $36,500 per year.

Please tell us where this fine is located in the Senate bill. What section?

I have been unable to find this clause and think you might be mistaken. The old House bill (HR 3962) did contain a section (421 and 423) that set a fine of $100 per day ON EMPLOYERS per employee that they do not help buy coverage. But that had nothing to do with insurance companies and preexisting conditions, and it is not part of the current health reform bill. Were you mistaken?

BTW (a follow-up remark), I think the elimination of preexisting conditions does not rely on any fines. It's just a simple ban. All health insurance plans sold on the exchanges would be prohibited from considering preexisting conditions.

Lucio

[1] CNN. "The Situation Room." 17 March 2010.

[2] DailyKos.com and MichaelMoore.com. "The Green They Steal, The Greed They Wear ...a St. Patrick's Day lament." 17 March 2010.

[3] MSNBC. "Countdown." 15 March 2010. transcript available: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35892723/ns/msnbc_tv-countdown_with_keith_olbermann/

March 18, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Reply
  67. Patty Rucinski

I heard from your NPR interview that your planning something special for Michigan. As a Michigan resident, what is it and how can I help?

March 18, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Reply
  68. Mignon Veasley-Fields

Michael,

I am asking if you will comment on the unemployment situation that approx. 2 million citizens of this country wil lose their UE benefits and Cobra benefits do not hurry up and pass for Tier 5 to extend additional benefits.

March 18, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Reply
  69. Jenny

Hi Mike...writing to you from Canada. My question is.... Would you say that the media, by and large, is against this health care bill? I ask because I have not noticed them doing any documentaries about why and how universal health care works in all the other industrialized nations. I saw one documentary on PBS but this network, as much as I love it, has a limited viewership. The media has just gone ahead and let the politicians educate everybody, whether it be for or against. Now, that can't be a good thing can it?

March 18, 2010 at 6:54 pm | Reply
  70. Jon Acord

Mike, Can we talk? A true democracy needs universal health care, child care, prescription medicine and dental care for one and all. Anything else is a tragedy. Lets pull out of Afghanistan and Iraq. We need to spend the money we were wasting on War to love and nurture people instead. Hey, its OUR tax dollars! HOW LONG will we let these stupid greedy clowns ruin our world? Corporate America is comprised of power hungry Rich Men lusting after power and control at any cost. Its time to kick these freaks out and reclaim America for the people, by the people. Capitalism is evil and is out of control.

March 18, 2010 at 7:14 pm | Reply
  71. Dori Weaver

How can we rally together and finally get our voices heard by our Representatives in the House and Senate?

March 18, 2010 at 8:20 pm | Reply
  72. Tom in Fort Myers

Mike, Would you ever consider a independent/3rd party run for the presidency? You have the intellect, the ability to articulate, the funds and ability to raise more, and the heart. How about 2012?

March 18, 2010 at 8:38 pm | Reply
  73. Paul Cobb

I have been a fan of co-operatives for a long time. why don't we use co-op structures to do health insurance (collectively owned) and other things as well? just like a corporation only no billionaires–everything's cheaper (services) and employee paychecks are bigger.

March 18, 2010 at 9:56 pm | Reply
  74. Rachel O'Donnell

the most people will jump on the hype bandwagon when a film of yours comes out but then forget the important issues months later. How do you approach presenting an issue in the hope that people will not only reflect upon the topic, but remeber and take action, if they see fit.

Thankyou,

From Melbourne, Australia

March 18, 2010 at 10:08 pm | Reply
  75. Jon Acord

Hey Mike buddy you got my vote for President! You couldn't do much worse than President Obama! Yes, I voted for Obama. Disappointed in him. He did not shut down Guantanamo Bay, escalated the Iraq & Afghanistan conflict, and is waffling on health care. I have a hunch YOU can do better! Yea Baby! Mike for President!

March 18, 2010 at 10:11 pm | Reply
  76. Florida Rick

Mr. Moore,
    There are many lobbyists that work for the health insurance and pharmaceutical companies. They promote big profits for their companies at the expense of human suffering. Do you think that restrictions should be put on ex-congressmen and legislative aids as far as going to work for these companies after their tenure?

March 18, 2010 at 10:49 pm | Reply
  77. Elizabeth Ritt

My Dear Darling Mr. Moore, I so loved Sicko and wondered if you would ask on CNN whether the democrats receiving payoffs from the health care industry and pharmeceutical industry would care to disclose the amounts to the public? It was a real eye opener in Sicko and I think it's something that the American public has a right to know.

Warmest Regards and hope to see many more documentaries from you in the future.

March 18, 2010 at 11:10 pm | Reply
  78. Jake from NW IN

Question for Mike:

Which system do you think would work better and why?

Democratically-regulated capitalism
    or
    Some benevolent form of socialism

I have been a strong supporter and aficionado of yours for a long time. I believe that all forms of representative governments are prone to plutocratic-lobbyist takeovers; I reject the notion of republic and support a purely-democratic commonwealth. How about you?

Don't listen to these insipid imbeciles who mislabel you a communist; if their heads were not so far up their rear-ends they would 'get it' and join the citizen's fight for better quality of living. If half of them bothered to read what socialism is, they would likely support it. To support plutocratic hegemony and unregulated capitalism without competition is evidence of the stupidity of the American sheep.

March 19, 2010 at 12:37 am | Reply
  79. Bryant from FL

Question to Mike:

Would you run for presidency on 2012? Because I feel no one is really qualify for presidency then you.

March 19, 2010 at 1:55 am | Reply
  80. Angie

Mike, President Obama's poor excuse for a health care bill will supposedly not even become effective for four years. Is he insane as well as heartless? He knows that thousands of Americans will suffer and die in those four years. Millions of people will be damned mad at Obama and the Democrats when they find that they can't get the health care they so desperately need.

Harry Truman integrated the military via executive order. What could Obama do with executive power to give health care to those who need it?

March 19, 2010 at 2:16 am | Reply
  81. Paper Tiger in California

Hi Michael: I think on your blog you should consider posting a
    "Suicide-Meter", counting off the total number of active soldiers and veterans who kill themselves every day. Or, CNN can do this until the Department of Defense and Veterans Affairs apply the correct resources to this tragedy – face it – Recruiters are picking our kids off the streets of America just like the snipers are picking off targets in the streets of Afghanistan. What's the difference? Same result.

March 19, 2010 at 3:13 am | Reply
  82. Ralph Proodian

When are we going to wise up and start pushing for career civil services run on merit from top to bottom. The spoils system is apparent in the "Plum Book" published by the Federal Government Printing Office.

Face it. If we don't get politics out of law enforcement, nothing will change. Another word to patronage is "pay off.".

March 19, 2010 at 4:05 am | Reply
  83. Ruth

I am a 16 year old junior in high school. Mr. Moore, what will our world look like when I am your age? Your films help so much. Why can't more adults be like you?

March 19, 2010 at 5:01 am | Reply
  84. Bob S.

What do you think of members of the Bush Administration, like Karl Rove now, rewriting history in their memoirs to suit themselves? Any guess on what load of garbage George W. plans to print in his memoir this fall?

March 19, 2010 at 5:05 am | Reply
  85. KL

Take care of yourself, big fella 🙂

What do you think of Mike Gravel's idea of a National Initiative, where citizens can propose and vote on laws directly?

I loved Gravel in the early debates but then the MSM/DNC excluded the antiwar candidates so we couldn't hear those points of view, even though Gravel and Kucinich held the views most Americans did (online blind poll).

March 19, 2010 at 8:18 am | Reply
  86. gust

Once capitalism is reformed, what should we do with all the Reagan statues?

March 19, 2010 at 10:22 am | Reply
  87. kenny

In 2007 he talked about the health care criss in his film and now i want to know why he is kickiing against the bill?,probably Americans should understand that the president's move to reform the healthcare system in America is a step towards the right direction is not about voting him in again or not but is all about the poor masses to give them life again,not in a situation were the rich survives while the poor dies, i think if this is the only thing the president achived he did the right thing because everybody needs life,the rich and the poor.
    kenny
    from Germany

March 19, 2010 at 11:35 am | Reply
  88. Dale Houston,Texas

Dear Mr. Moore,

I am a member of the CWA Communcation workers of America. Recently our contract expired in April, 2009. Negotiations began well before that date and we worked in good faith for I believe five months before the upper Union leaders brought us the worst contract we had ever seen. The main issue was our health care benefits which we had not had to pay for in the past, we now have to pay. During the negotiations the company was crying poor and pointing to the horrible economy in a shameful propaganda blitz while posting a tidy one billion dollars a month, ( That's right, a month not a quarter} profit. They offered the newly hired prim tech force $ 3.25 raise over the next few years essintialy buying their vote and the contract was ratified even though my local (local 6222) voted 66% no and 44% yes. I feel along with many others that this contract was bought by the company at the top of the union and at the bottom.
    Would you check into corruption on the part of the officials on both sides of the bargaining table. It would mean a great deal to a multitude of hard working Americans all of the world not just here in
    the States. Thank for your consideration.

PS The last CEO that recently retired from the former SWBT, former SBC, now at&t.,Left the company with 180 million dollars, plus stock options, plus lifetime use of the corporate jet. He also vowed to never work again.
    He is now the CEO of General Motors.

March 19, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Reply
  89. S Chase

Where is the help for the long term unemployed in this Country? The Senate does not seem to be able to get a long term bill thru and instead is doing 30 day extensions-and no new benefit tiers for the long term unemployed. Would you be interested in bringing some well deserved attention to this topic as the media and Obama don't seem to concerned and frankly, the 15 million long term unemployed are quite anxious as we all face eviction/foreclosure and the inability to just hang on in this jobless recovery.
    Keep up the great work that you do!
    JAW

March 19, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Reply
  90. Rosemary Renauer

As a former Michigander, I remember years ago there was a movement to make the Upper Peninsula of Michigan the 51st state.

Since the great state of Michigan is suffering so much, wouldn't they be better off if both the Upper Peninsula and the Lower Peninsula seceded from the U.S.A. and became another province of Canada?? They all like hockey and Michiganders, especially with their depressed economy need health care for all!!

Mike, love all your inspiring work, words, and wisdom!! Please run for office!!

March 19, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Reply
  91. Tom

Americans were opposed to bailing out the Banks and it happens anyway. The banks laugh at us while giving each other bonuses with our hard-earned money. How much more of this can the American worker take before fighting back?

March 19, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Reply
  92. Katie from Plano

How can anyone determine that this new health care bill will actually help people? Why must everyone rely on the government to change things? Obviously their skills in maintaining organization are on the fritz right now. My question really is Mr. Moore, what must we, as human beings, do to assure that our country doesn't mirror the fall of the Roman Empire; doesn't bring millions of people to a terrible, inevitable fate if something doesn't change, and fast nonetheless; and overall, doesn't shame us to the point of destruction? What can I do as a teenager to prevent everyone from being swayed to believe such crap that politicians spit at us? I am tired of feeling like I have no say in what goes on in this world, what really can be done? I've seen all your movies and quite frankly, I wish more people had the guts to say what you do. Perhaps then, America would be a credible nation.

March 19, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Reply
  93. Tom

Michael,
    Please make your next project an expose on Exxon/Mobil. They had back to back years of 40 plus billion dollars in profits, ( 2 highest profits ever for any company in history) yet they refused to pay the 5 billion dollars they owed the people who's lives they ruined when they spilled a tanker full of oil into the Prince William Sound, instead fighting the ruling in the Courts year after year until they had the amount reduced to 1/2 a billion. If you go after them, I will take a leave of absence from my job and join you!

March 19, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Reply
  94. Aucoin Y

Michael,
    On CNN earlier, you objected the health care bill, but said you would vote for it, later you said that reluctantly, you would vote for a Democrat in the up coming elections, isn't the message is that Democrats can ignore millions who sent them to power, support bank and insurance bailouts, without being held accountable, since we have no other choice? What kind of democracy is this? isn't it time for a third or fourth party, at least in the race for congress?
    thanks

March 19, 2010 at 6:00 pm | Reply
  95. Jesse

I also agree that this bill doesn't do enough, but I've read all the bullets and really, it's pretty darn good. I would prefer to see a public option, which hopefully we will one day have, but don't you think it's a good start? We've struggled with health reform for years and this is currently the best shot we have.

March 19, 2010 at 6:04 pm | Reply
  96. Elisa Barrett

Mike, what do you believe your greatest accomplishment has been to date?

March 19, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Reply
  97. Edna A. Fortner

Why do people, including Michael Moore, think 100% healthcare is a God or Constitutional Right for all mankind? It's not!!
    There has to be a cost to individuals for their poor lifestyle choices, or they will never change. It takes work to eat right and exercise.
    I am an Independant voter, and see this as another entitlement program that I am being forced to pay.
    With no savings; just like Medicare costs more EVERY year, so will this. People will just get more done, because it's FREE, and they deserve it.
    And just like generations who stay on the Welfare and Food Stamp roles, with a percentage never getting off, and some even learning how to abuse the system, this will NEVER end or reduce.
    Even Social Secrity was never designed to replace saving for old age, it was just to suppliment. But people buy their cigs, beer, etc. instead of saving and planning for retirement.
    It's human nature to want it all; but someone has to pick up the check!!!

March 19, 2010 at 6:39 pm | Reply
  98. Gary

Mike, have you ever thought of migrating to Canada? ıf palin were elected president, would you?

March 19, 2010 at 7:42 pm | Reply
  99. David Carranza

Hey Mike,

It seems our political system is broken and has become nothing more than a boy’s club of partisan politics. What do you think about drafting random qualified citizens for congress like jury duty? I am positive that we are smart enough as Americans to get over the logistical issue involved in something like this.

I think it would put an end to all of lobbyist, special interest groups, expensive elections, megalomania and so much good ol' boy corruption. I just think that the laws that we would get would represent America better as your would have a cross section of the people to propose the laws and address the issues American need to have addressed.

We are not getting that kind of service now.

Aside from praying that pianos fall on the heads of all members in congress, how would we as the American people move to enact such a policy. Obviously writing our congress person would do no good because they are not going to fire themselves even if it would be for the greater good.

I also wonder how many other Americans would be for something like this?

Thanks,

March 19, 2010 at 7:47 pm | Reply
  100. kathryn reynolds

Michael does not have the entire FORECLOSURE story. I am a real estate attorney winning in court, the banks are the servicers, NOT CREDITORS. They should not be getting the properties put into the banks name. The Notes were sold on the stock market so disconnected from Deed of Trust – no power to foreclose – wrong parties are on the documents, if someone refinanced, the banks did not repay those deeds of trust. TITLE TO APPROX. 60 MILLION PROPERTIES IS CLOUDED. The Public needs to take their documents to real estate attorneys –

MICHAEL THIS STORY IS SO MUCH BIGGER.

“For example unfortunately it used to be that when you took out a mortgage you went to the local bank, they gave you the loan and they kept the mortgage right there in the bank. As I think a lot of people know these days what happened was, they took these mortgages wrapped them up in big bundle then sold slices of them on the stock market and so you don’t have anyone person who actually owns the mortgage, which makes negotiations on a lot this stuff very difficult”.
    President Barak Obama, CSPAN 2.

Kathryn Reynolds
    Truckee, CA

March 19, 2010 at 8:03 pm | Reply
  101. Norman Guthkelch

Your movie about the British NHS was very fair. I worked in it as a hospital doctor for 30 years. I didn't make much money, but my family and I didn't starve, AND never once did the Government attempt to interfere with my clinical decisions, nor was I buried under a mountain of paperwork. I came to the US because of the compulsory retiring age in UK and again I chose a salaried position . I was fortunate to retire just as the For Profit mentality got into its stride .
    But the British flirtation with Socialism as a whole was not a success, leading to the emergence of a would-be ruling class of bully-boy trade unionists no better than their former capitalist masters.
    So what? It's all a question of motive, not system. Health Care is a duty not a commodity.

March 19, 2010 at 8:46 pm | Reply
  102. Alexi

“Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it.” I rented the “Capitalism: a love story” DVD. While I will not argue with you social justice points, I just want to let you know that similar words have led to the Great October Revolution of 1917 in Russia. I grew up in USSR, and while there are some issues with USA, it is still the best place to live anywhere in the world. Your movie is a cheap propaganda paid by the unions and other politicians that are unable to compete in the real world, so they want to be in the position of telling everyone else what to do. If you truly care about the people in this country, repent and stop spreading the communist propaganda that killed millions in USSR and other countries.

March 19, 2010 at 9:26 pm | Reply
  103. Mark Horowitz

HI MICHAEL:

THE SINGLE PAYER OPTION WAS RARELY DISCUSSED IN THE MAJOR MEDIA. DO YOU THINK THAT'S TRUE IN PART BECAUSE PEOPLE ON THE BOARD OF COMPANIES LIKE TIME WARNER (CNN'S PARENT COMPANY) ALSO SIT ON THE BOARDS OF SUCH INSURANCE AND PHARMACEUTICAL COMPANIES AS HEALTH CAP, AIG, AND PARATEK PHARMACEUTICALS?

P.S. THIS QUESTION WILL NEVER GET THROUGH BUT I THOUGHT I'D TRY...

March 19, 2010 at 10:21 pm | Reply
  104. Emily

As a resident of a GM ghost town, I have seen the divide of political views directly affect our community. Not only that, but I am an unemployed mother of 3 with badgercare Medicaid, YET I can't see any dentists because there are none that take medicaid patients anymore. I was wondering how my situation will be affected if the "democrats" "health reform" is passed, and then compare that to how my situation will be affected from universal health care *is dental covered in canada?*

March 19, 2010 at 10:23 pm | Reply
  105. Emily

the last post was from me and I forgot to say I am in Janesville, WI home of Senator Russ Feingold *(the only senator to vote no for the patriot act)*

March 19, 2010 at 10:25 pm | Reply
  106. Max Finger

MICHAEL Without the help of people like you our voices are not represented.
    Grassroots co-ops which help people to grow food can ease some of the high cost of groceries that are created by our greedy corporate grocers. Gardens for all families. Healthier and happier family are well fed families.
    Why not hire some doctors and everybody pool in the community to support them and their staff. A true semi-free clinic for the people. I know this is a pipe dream in this country since there is no way we as the little people can fight this corporate monster.

Cradle to grave robbery.

Can you tell me if the big voices for change can't make a difference how can the little voice ever have a chance?

March 19, 2010 at 10:35 pm | Reply
  107. Elisa Barrett

Does Michael believe converting a commercial medical care model to a single payer system would crash the economy knowing the health care industry is 16% of GDP?

Elisa
    NC

March 20, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Reply
  108. Adam

Hello Michael,
    What healthcare do you have? How do you feel about obesity becoming America's biggest health problem? Do you think there is a problem and if yes, how can we improve the situation?
    Adam
    American living Norway but moving back to the USA soon

March 20, 2010 at 8:10 pm | Reply
  109. greeting card flash chip

I simply couldn't leave your web site prior to suggesting that I really enjoyed the usual information a person provide on your guests? Is gonna be back regularly in order to check out new posts

November 12, 2012 at 6:58 pm | Reply