Tune in at 16:00 London, 19:00 UAE

Friday's Connector: Sendhil Ramamurthy and Gurinder Chadha

April 9th, 2010

Sendhil Ramamurthy and Gurinder Chadha are a powerhouse team when it comes to film and television.

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/04/09/indian.art.gettyimages.jpg
caption="What would you ask this pair?"]

Many will recognize Ramamurthy as the face of Mohinder Suresh in the American television series, "Heroes."

Born in Chicago to Tamil parents, Ramamurthy initially studied at university to be a medical doctor, but after taking a number of acting classes, he found his new calling.

Ramamurthy appeared in a number of west end productions in London before getting his big break on "Heroes."

While you may not recognize the name Gurinder Chadha, you'll probably recognize many of her movies.

The British film director is responsible for hit films including "Bend it Like Beckham" and "Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging."

Ramamurthy and Chadha have joined forces in the new film "It's a wonderful Afterlife" which is based on an Indian mother who takes her obsession with marriage into the world of murder.

1. spiritOPRAH

Do you think in the future In making the film Way to educate people in various issues raised?

April 9, 2010 at 7:12 pm |
  2. Jurgen R. Brul

Hello Sendhil Ramamurthy, Gurinder Chadha and CNN friends,

What has triggered you both to work together on the new film "It's a wonderful Afterlife"?

Greetings,
    Jurgen R. Brul
    Paramaribo, Suriname

April 9, 2010 at 7:48 pm |
  3. Meaghan McBee

For Sendhil: First let me say that you have a lot of fans pouring over from your time on Heroes, and we're all very excited about what you do in the future. Second, I wanted to ask you if you have sensed a lot of pressure in Hollywood to look or act a certain way in your film and television projects?

For Gurinder: Do you think that you'll try to work with Sendhil again in the future? Also, what sort of advice can you give young females who are looking to get into the movie-making business?

April 9, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  4. Veronica

Sendhil, are you not upset for the way your charachter-and you-has been treated by the writers on Heroes? I don't think it has been very fair.

April 10, 2010 at 9:45 am |
  5. catie nola !

hi, this may not have anything to do with you both but i love both the films, bend it like beckham and angus thongs and perfect snogging and im in love with the angus thongs and full frontal books so when i heard that you were doing angus thongs and perfect snogging film back in 2007 i was ecstatic. i loved the film, and i was wondering if you know whether paramount and nickleodeon and you will be making the second film/ book?
    catie nola,
    Wirral.

April 11, 2010 at 12:46 pm |
  6. Mohan

Hi Chadha and ramamurthy

I wonder if you had ever thought of putting your talent in the Indian movies may oit be Bollywood(hindi) or Kollywood(Tamil)?

Mohan
    Kuala Lumpur,Malaysia

April 12, 2010 at 3:35 pm |
  7. Chioma

Bollywood can never meet up with Hollywood even in the next 100 years to come

April 12, 2010 at 3:52 pm |
  8. Janice

@Chioma, I love Bollywood and hope it never turns into Hollywood or even reach Hollywood standards. With the exception of a few movies/shows, I've gotten bored with Hollywood and started looking at other "-wood" movies. I do enjoy the dance scenes in Bollywood.

April 12, 2010 at 4:44 pm |
  9. Arghya polley

Its the one of the tuf challenge that bolltwood have to overcome

April 12, 2010 at 4:54 pm |
  10. Udhara

Hi Sendhil and Gurinder,

Firstly I just want to say that I think you both have done amazing work. Gurinder...you look and sound exactly like one of my dear friends in Heroes.

I'd like to ask, as creatives with Asian roots, have you had any additional challenges breaking into the industry because of race? If you look at music, there's MIA and Jay Sean but not many other artists on a big level of International success like them, and in movies, there's you! You're pretty much pioneers in that regard and wondering what your experience was like making it to the top.

All the best with your collaboration. I'll be sure to catch it as soon as it plays in Sydney!

April 12, 2010 at 5:18 pm |
  11. Mave Runner

The difference between Bollywood and Hollywood is like Earth and Sky. Bollywood has no creativity or imagination to compete with the West.

April 12, 2010 at 5:23 pm |
  12. Ezeribe Emeka

Hi Ramamurthy and Chadha, i love your work, keep the ball rolling. I would like you guys to improve Bollywood.love u.

April 12, 2010 at 5:36 pm |
  13. Karthik

first my wishes for you both for taking rich indian pride & heritage to the western world that too in "land of opportunities"(usa)....

i agree there's a difference between hollywood & bollywood...but even movie like avatar gets shape from prime focus studio in mumbai & chennai (India).some say its like earth and sky...yes...no one likes to be in the sky..but everybody likes to live on Earth...

so no more discrimination....lets welcome talents & like minded people from all corners of the world....

one life..one world lets share & live happpily

April 12, 2010 at 6:38 pm |
  14. Cris vera-cruz

Hi Ramamurthy,chadha luv u guyz and i knw ur collabo wud b superb.cant wait 4 it.big ups!

April 12, 2010 at 6:42 pm |
  15. Ruth ogregade

I comment you both for your good works, and can Wait for this new collaboration.I also think bollywood needs some improve because i see their films as films not telling what is real in true life.from Nigeria

April 12, 2010 at 7:30 pm |
  16. Inamoto

What do you think of Malik and Mirza's weeding?

Manchester, England

April 12, 2010 at 8:55 pm |
  17. Jeet

Dear Sendhil Ramamurthy and Gurinder Chadha

Would you like to choose me the next actor in your movie.I can assure you it will be a big hit as I can be very good on the screen.

I know you must be laughing but please give a thought as new comers should be given a chance.

I am a tall punjabi blood and have great punjabi and english accent(Dublin) both.Also can speak Hindi and Haryaanvi in case you are looking for someone with a haryaanvi funny role:)

Kind regards

Jeet Singh from Dublin,Ireland

April 12, 2010 at 9:21 pm |
  18. greg

i want to speak to on person that on line.

April 12, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  19. Billy

Hello you two...

My question would be, can you each tell us at least one pro and one con about each other in terms of working together?

April 13, 2010 at 2:33 am |
  20. Alushka Rajaram

Hi There!

Well done on the movies and television shows guys. I think it's fantastic to see more Indians/People of Colour being able to break into mainstream today. However, the reality is that very few people of colour do end up being accepted into mainstream culture. How difficult was it for both of you to break into the mainstream?

As a person of Indian origin who currently lives in Melbourne, Australia and studies journalism, how diificult do you think it would be for me to break into mainstream media (given your own experiences as people of Indian origin who come form some-what 'big' cities).

All the best for the future!

April 13, 2010 at 2:48 am |
  21. Lachman

I hope one fine day in the near future, you both migrate to India, your ancestors home and produce or direct and act in Indian movies and T.V. serials. Bollywood actors have emotions while they act in movies whereas hollywood actors are superficial.

April 13, 2010 at 3:12 am |