Tune in at 16:00 London, 19:00 UAE

Is your government doing enough to help stranded travelers?

April 20th, 2010

Hundreds of thousands of travelers remain stranded around the world as disruptions to travel because of the volcanic ash cloud entered its sixth day.

Do you think your government is doing enough to help stranded passengers?

Although some flights resumed Tuesday in the UK and Europe, there is growing concern over a new ash cloud that is heading toward the United Kingdom.

Air authorities remained cautious about predicting relief for thousands of travelers still stranded abroad six days after Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull volcano spewed potentially dangerous volcanic ash into the sky.

More than 6.8 million passengers have been affected, Jankovec said in a statement, adding that the effect is worse than after the September 11 terrorist attacks on the United States.

Thousands of people have been living in airports.

"I have been living out of my carry-on for five days," said Paulo Wu, stranded in Amsterdam, Netherlands. After two nights sleeping on a cot at the airport, he was able to get into a hotel with an actual bed, he said. "I have no bags. My bags are somewhere, I think, at the airport. I just have my carry-on," he said.

Britain dispatched Royal Navy ships to bring home some stranded British travelers, including members of its military, Prime Minister Gordon Brown said Monday.

The HMS Albion arrived Tuesday morning in Santander, Spain, where it was expected to pick up 400 to 500 British troops and up to 200 civilians.

We want to know what you think.

Do you think governments around the world have been doing enough to help stranded travelers around the world? Should more be done to help get people home who are stuck?

Posted by ,
Filed under:  General
  1. Carol in Raleigh

The US has said and done NOTHING to help ITS travelers. A C-130 could carry hundreds and hundreds of people but our State Department is just letting people swing in the wind. We have already found my husband insulin and he is making do without the rest of his medicine but the US State Department hasn't even issued any statements!

April 20, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Reply
  2. cody .o.

I think that the united states goverment should be doing like the british are and send navy ships over there to grab our citizens not just sitting around we need to take action.

April 20, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Reply
  3. power4things

What would you have gov'ts do? As advanced as we humans think we are, we have to start realizing we don't control every single thing on this earth, and get over it. Of course, these are the same governments you were complaining about last week for being in your life too much. Now it's, "Help me, Mr. Wizard!". I think everything that can be done, is. If some airlines fail, they fail. New ones will take their place, hopefully with less bloat, better attitude and free toilets. No one bails my business when revenue drops.

April 20, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Reply
  4. Petunia

Of course the USA does nothing to help while the Scandinavian countries help financially and otherwise to get their citizens home.
    NOT the US! Noooooo
    Maybe they will come up with a tax deduction for all of my expenses for being stranded

April 20, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Reply
  5. Johan Boot

Where is the USA goverment.A few of your residents or citizens could use a little help here. Please wake up.

April 20, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Reply
  6. Stephen stuck in Germany

As an American stuck in Germany, I feel enough is being done. What I do not want to see, is my U.S. government pressuring Europe to open up its air space if there is any type of risk what so ever that ash will get into my airplane's engines and thus send me and everyone else on my flight to a watery grave. I am sympathetic to all employees of every industry globally who are affected economically by this situation, but my sympathy does not run so deep as to risk my life over it.

April 20, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Reply
  7. Jim in Albany

Carol in Raleigh, a C-130 cannot carry "hundreds and hundreds" of people"; and, having flown many times in one -and a quick look at its specs- it will hold, at most, about 100 people, and not very comfortably. Also, it is an AIRPLANE and has to FLY through the same conditions as a commercial airliner. In fact, when the US military has to move large quantities of people, they will charter civilian airliners.
    Also, Europe has modernized somewhat in the last few years and insulin is available through the medical system- it is probably located next to the jars of leeches.
    Keep in mind that the military is also involved in one or two other places in the world. Are you saying that a few days in Europe -which has been Black Death free for a few centuries- is worse than the situation in Chile, Haiti, Iraq, or Afghanistan?
    As for the State Department, feel free to write the Secretary of State to do her job!

April 20, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Reply
  8. marissa

I am stranded in england and feel the u.s. embassy just doesn't care, I don't want to ask family to wire me money. It is sad that is the only suggestion for me.

April 20, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Reply
  9. marissa

yes I am american

April 20, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Reply
  10. Mrs. Piel

I have been saying for days that the USG needs to do something! How about sending a Navy ship?

April 20, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Reply
  11. Chris...disappointed American stuck in UK

I have been stuck in the UK for several days now, and it has actually been a little embarassing as an American. Here the governement of the UK is issuing statements, conducting meetings, establishing a route home, and utilizing their military for a way home. When I go to the homepage for the local embassay in Edinburgh, it simply says to contact your airline (good luck with that). At least I am stuck in Western World, English speaking country (Scotland), I really do feel for those stuck in other parts of the world. I thought the lessons from 9/11 would have helped the U.S manage through disaster. We could not only help our own citizens, but others stuck in North America and abroad.

I guess it is more important to spend time bailing out banks.

April 20, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Reply
  12. Mrs. Piel

Has anyone seen what the American Embassy has posted on their web page? As if I could not figure that out on my own. Thanks to my friends abroad I am only slowly going broke!

April 20, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Reply
  13. Debarshi Roy

I was stranded in New Delhi for almost 4 days, but Air India provided nice hotel arrangements and food for all the stranded passengers going to Europe or USA. And finally Air India made new route to come to JFK from Delhi on 19th April. It was a 18hrs non-stop flight using the Egypt airspace and some southern Europe air space. Just thanks may not be enough to appreciate Air India in such situation.
    I feel sorry for thousands of passengers stranded in different airports in the world, whereas we got a nice hotel and food too without any cost.
    I hope things get better very soon.

April 20, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Reply
  14. Denise Bobyk

No, the Australian government is doing nothing to help stranded Australians. My son and his girlfriend went to the Australian Consulate in London to see what options may be open to them and were told there by staff that Kevin Rudd had made a statement that he would not be helping Australians who are stranded due to the volcanic ash. Other governments are trying to help their citizens return home but in typical Kevin Rudd fashion nothing is being done, he is too busy spending our money on his hair brained, destined for failure schemes to help Aussies who want to get back home to their families and their jobs.

April 20, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Reply
  15. Vivifiant

Don't blame the government, please. The US government is doing all it can to prevent it's citizen from traveling abroad. It will even increase the passport cots to $135 to cut down all that useless travel. So, since travel is reserved to the wealthiest citizens they should also be able to help themselves once they are abroad. The $135 fee is the US version of East Germany's Berlin wall to keep it's regular citizens from traveling.

Vivifiant, Ohio
    Note: A little afternoon stroll on the Canadian side of the Niagara falls will set a family of four back by $543.25 (4 x $135 for passports and $3.25 bridge toll)

April 20, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Reply
  16. Worldtraveler

There are only a few countries helping stranded passengers or giving alternatives. Most help comes from the passengers themselves or from citizens from that particular country that passengers are stuck in.
    Many people have to find their own way out or a place to stay and all on their own expense. There is no hotel or alternative transport reducing prices for those in need. The airports like Shiphol have given stranded passengers food, beds, even animation.
    It is a chaos, not created by the volcano, but by the Officials who did not react on the first day as they should have (putting alternatives in motion and communicate). Now the situation is changing, this after 4 to 5 days of waiting.
    Of course, no one can react or do something in a flash about this, but a lot of this could have been avoided.
    People should learn how to live with nature and learn that they cannot control everything. Always have plan B ready if the normal way isn't working, this is what they call risk management and avoiding chaos.

April 20, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Reply
  17. Thomas

Stranded in the UK with my 80yo grandma. The lack of ANY response from the US government has been shocking. The UK sends out the navy to rescue those stranded, and sets up hotlines for their citizens stranded abroad (and makes those numbers highly available on the media here). The US government ... not a word. At least we were on an EU carrier, which is required, by law, to provide accommodation and food, which they are (or at least they say the are ... we are to get reimbursed). Everyone in our hotel on a US carrier is completely F'd in the A.

April 20, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Reply
  18. Davis Bradley

You're all such babies. I don't see this as a problem but rather an opportunity. It's a beautiful time of year in Europe. If you're stranded it's because you want to be. Why not leave the airport and have a nice dinner at a nice restaurant in London, Munich, Oslo, etc.? Take a walk along the Thames. Go see the British Museum (it's free and open late). Why are the British complaining? They can take trains to London from virtually any city in Europe. What happened to the famous British determination in the face of adversity? (stiff upper lip and all that...)

Are you still in the airport? Get outta there! Go grab a taxi and do something fun.

April 20, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Reply
  19. Airman

To Carole in Raleigh – The US has said and done NOTHING to help ITS travelers – Unless on business for the GOV, I would say that the US is not responsible for the decisions private citizens make in regards to travel outside the borders of our country. The fact that people are "trapped" without medications or money is a matter the private citizen needs to solve. Personal responsibility has to kick in at some point, instead of blaming the GOV for your woes!

April 20, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Reply
  20. Vivifiant

correction:
    Don't blame the government, please. The US government is doing all it can to prevent it's citizen from traveling abroad. It will even increase the passport costs to $135 to cut down all that useless travel. So, since travel is reserved to the wealthiest citizens they should also be able to help themselves once they are abroad. The $135 fee is the US version of East Germany's Berlin wall to keep it's regular citizens from traveling.

Vivifiant, Ohio

April 20, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Reply
  21. Jack

Half of these Americans whining that the US government is not doing enough are probably Tea Party activists that want government to stay out of health care. Either your government helps those who cannot help themselves or is doesn't – but you can't be selective.

April 20, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Reply
  22. James Purpura

I can't believe US politicians have not made any comments on their stranded citizens or the problems that have incurred. No, we don't expect them to "solve" the problem, but some words of support would be nice. What is the US doing to assure stranded people that they can cover hotel costs, get medications in foreign countries, etc. Where are the contingency plans?

I suppose this is what we should expect from the US in these troubled times.
    Jim

April 20, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Reply
  23. Elias Nader

Instead of Obama playing golf with Bush, he should be planning to evacuate his citizens from Europe! The USA has done nothing to help us here in Europe. What a shame! I hope the buffoons working for him know how to read and will read my post – shame on you America!

Its a damn shame no one in the USA gov't has said anything - why? Are they busy looking up some good dictionary words for Geithner's latest capitol address or figuring out whch vegetable in Obama's garden has gone bad?

I am embarassed to be stuck in Germany and have nothing positive to say about our esteemed USA Gov't...

April 20, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Reply
  24. Shaun

This is rapidly moving beyond the pale. Millions are starnded and governments to this point have done basically nothing to help.

I was schedule to fly home on April 16th. I've had four flights cancelled and I'm now being told by United that I might get home on the 27th.

Airports in southern europe are open. Governments should be demanding that airlines add flights to those airports and allow people to change flights to those airports with no penalty. I was quoted $5600 today for a one way flight from Madrid to the US.

Enough is enough!

April 20, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Reply
  25. Alina Grotte

We were scheduled to fly from Barcelona to Paris yesterday afternoon at 16h, and all flights are cancelled. we were told by Air France that there is a bus to take any passenger of Air France to Paris. So, after 15 hours on the road from barcelona to paris, i got home safely. thank you.

April 20, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Reply
  26. Prasad Stuck in UK

Not asking US government to come and rescue us all – but going into 5th day the morale is pretty low and at least some encouraging words to show that someone cares about the people stranded would be good. All we see on TV here is how UK govt committed to get all their people home – I have seen KLM taking passengers on coaches from Heathrow and getting them somewhere – when I approached my airlines – all they saying is to WAIT!! Nothing pro-active – did anybody even discussing options to get some land transport to Madrid or something – after 1 1/2 hrs in airport trying to figure out – it looks like we are on OUR OWN!!

April 20, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Reply
  27. Mitch Nunes

I'm from US. I do not understand that there is no comment from Obama about this. This certainly is NOT his fault but a little help would be nice, Why would he offer help for stranded Americans like other governments like England and Germany?

April 20, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Reply
  28. Stephen stuck in Germany

One positive thing from all of this....a lot of Americans (and I am not referencing ALL Americans here) will get a lesson on Geography and learn there is a place called EUROPE and, no, it is not an entire country but actually a continent with several countries where (brace yourself here) other languages are spoken other than English.

To my fellow Americans who are here in Europe, I urge you to take advantage of the down time if funds are available. Imagine it as being the vacation time that most U.S. companies deny its employees.German companies, for example, have 20-30 days off a year. But if you do get out and explore, do your best to integrate into the local culture and remember a simple rule. We are guests to the Europeans while we are here and not the other way around! It goes a LONG way!

April 20, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Reply
  29. Jack

And what do all these whiners expect the government to do? Emergency evacuations? In what type of craft if planes cannot fly? To say what? "Soooo sorry" or other such empty words? Or to give money? Why? Any time I miss my plane or get stuck in a snowstorm I want my government to bail me out? C'mon, life has risks. Time to grow up and realize that the world does not revolve around you and you are on your own in the great big world.

I say put all the whiners on a rusty trawler back home and see you in two months.

April 20, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Reply
  30. David Waller

@Davis Bradley

Good comment. Stop complaining deal with the situation. If you're in Europe or the UK medical care is free (I'm glad it's not the other way around) and we're hardly 3rd world countries. Get out of the air port and if you're desperate for food/accommodation knock on doors, people will help.

April 20, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Reply
  31. margaret

The U.S. goverment is awfully silent on the state of its citizens stranded around the world. My daughter is alone and stranded in Amsterdam. Her flight today is cancelled and she is rescheduled for Next TUESDAY! i went on the state dept web site on Sunday, there was absolutely nothing. Disgraceful really. Try getting throught to the airlines. It is the same, Are there any human beings working for the airlines anymore?

April 20, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Reply
  32. Ken Kennard

Nature has a way of bringing us back to earth and this is a wake up call I believe in many ways. I know people are sick and are in need of medication and others are just not prepared for this type of event. I am an America who ives and works here in Europe but will hopefully fly home this Saturday to see my new Grandson born 16 Apr-having said that for those that can afford it it would be an act of kindness and a wonderful time to share with those less fortunate. Think China, Haiti and other places that have endured crisis in recent months this by comparison may be a walk in the park and a wonderful time to show how great a people we really are when faced with adversity-enjoy the sunshine.

April 20, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Reply
  33. Lynn

I can't believe all the people who expect the government to bail them out. You leave the country you are on your own. Take care of yourself instead of expecting somebody else to wipe you every time. Besides, the Obama government can't fix anything; the door on our local post office was broke 6 months before it was fixed. You expect Obama to fix healthcare, banking, and send in the Navy to bring you home? Wake up to reality.

April 20, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Reply
  34. Steve Patterson

I don't hear anything coming from the US government. My wife and I have been stuck in The Hague since last Friday (see
    http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2010/04/18/lee.va.volcano.stranded.cnn ). I do think that the US government could at least speak to the issue and attempt to be creative with solutions (like the UK and Germany), especially for the people that are low or out of medicine.

We are booked on a flight this Friday from Madrid to Dulles. We are beginning the 2 day train journey to Madrid tomorrow.

April 20, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Reply
  35. Katia

I'm stranded in England after a vacation, flights rescheduled times two; now with reservations to come home on BA on 4/22; but unsure whether that flight will take off.

Staying here is very expensive. Taking the Eurostar to Madrid and flying home from there is even more expensive. And it will be a week or more before I can get reservations Added to the expense of lost work, this will be horrendous

Perhaps the US Gov't could do this:

1. Work with British/EU govts to de-regulate and allow airlines to fly into whatever airport is safe during this emergency.

2. Find a way to regulate fares/housing so that we could wait here or could get home without a king's ransom.

3. Subsidize a few underutilized cruise ships to come and get us?

April 20, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Reply
  36. Stranded in UK

Being stuck in the UK, I do realize I am quite fortunate. I dont have any real money issues because I am here on the company's dime. I don't have an language issues and this part of the world is actually really nice. I dont think anyone is expecting a handout or a free ticket home, but a resource or someone to talk to would be helpful and encouraging. I truly do appreciate how fortunate I am compared to other tragedies around the world, but is you are not stranded, please know is a very difficult feeling when you have no idea when and how you are going to get home. Then, you listen to news reports and scour the internet only to find out that based on history, this may go on for months.

Please...no handouts, no free passes, no military, but maybe a little advice via a website or a telephone number would be nice.

Good luck to all those stuck

April 20, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Reply
  37. margaret

No, we're not asking the Gov. to come in and bail us out. We're asking for just a statement, something, To you smart alecks who think every American who travels in Europe is wealthy, Well, you are wrong! Many are young people who SAVED their money and budgeted for a trip. There are those who want to educate themselves through travel and getting a taste of other cultures, so, be proud of them. All i ask is that our Gov. at least issue a statement, give direction. Same for the airlines, iT'S simply not happening.

April 20, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Reply
  38. Pam

I don't understand what people think the government should do. Send planes? Um, there's still ash in the air. Send the navy? It takes time to reposition ships and I highly doubt there is extra space on ships to accomodate alot of people.

At the end of the day, you chose to travel which means you have some funds. Suck it up and figure it out yourself, you have a brain for a reason. Running out of meds, find a doctor/pharmacy/hospital to get some more to tide you over. Running low on funds, call your friends and family. There is even such a thing as collect calling.

My gosh, how is this any different really from when a big snow storm hits the East Coast of the US and shuts down airports and such for days on end?!?! Did you expect the government to bail you out then?Learn to live with adversity, it's always going to be there and can only make you stronger.

April 20, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Reply
  39. 2MonthsInLondon

I keep waiting to hear that the US is sending some help over here to us. The Royal Navy has been summoned for the British who are stuck. Isn't there an alternative to flight for Americans? Have we forgotten that there are other options apart from sending people up into the volcanic ash and hoping for the best? Why are we all just sitting around waiting for the wind to change direction?

April 20, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Reply
  40. Brian V. Cavanaugh

I have been in a couple of conversons with my wife (Yelm Wa) and her girl friend out of Portland Ore, for the past 5 days and their attitude has been great. The two of them went over to London to see the area and its culture. No problem with these two gals, they have just extended their vacation and knowledge, told them to keep their credit cards handy. The only problem is that I have to hold down the fort with all those every day chores that my CFO does plus holding down my own 8hr a day job. Life is great

April 20, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Reply
  41. Jurgen R. Brul

Hello CNN friends,

Our United Nations Government is not doing enough to help the thousands of people who are living in airports. If we cannot use the sky, then we have to travel by land and by water. This is the time that our Government have to work together to make sure that travelers are not stranded, we are not living in the Middle Ages!

Advice
    Let us Now Connect to make our world
    a Better Healthier and Beautiful World
    for You and for Me!

Greetings,
    Jurgen R. Brul
    Hometown: Paramaribo
    Country: Suriname
    Latin-American

April 20, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Reply
  42. grainne in london

My husband and I are US citizens stranded here since Saturday. To the person who asks what would we have our government do: the airports in Spain are open, but those of us stranded in the UK can't get there. Our government talk to the US airlines that fly out of the UK and encourage them to bus/ferry us to an open Spanish airport and fly us home from there.

This is, believe it or not, a crisis. Many of us absolutely have to get home, for medical, family, business reasons. There is no end to this in sight. Our government is supposed to help its citizens in crisis, and if others can do it, why can't ours?

April 20, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Reply
  43. Andrew

I think Governments need to respond by

a) giving temprorary visas to passengers who are stranded in countries where they were not expecting to be
    b) waiving opening airspace to carriers who do not normally have rights to fly to a specific place.

I am in Egypt. The plane to the UK has been sitting on the ground since last Thursday when it could at least have been operating a shuttle between here and Madrid, Barcelona, Athens or any other airport that is still open. Mad.

April 20, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Reply
  44. Robert van den Borre

As an ex-airline employee I have experienced very difficult situations with canceled flights, As always the americans had the biggest loudmouths. Now thousands are stranded but the US GOVt should immediately send the Navy to assist a lady who can't find "her" brand of medicine whereas she can obtain the same "genetic" medicine much cheaper than in the US pharmacies which are thieves just like the whole US medical Insurance system.
    In Canada we are all covered, rich and poor, but "some" stupid americans call that socialism. long live that socialism and keep your system!
    When yoiu travel to fareway places, think first, and take a week extra medecine and if you cannot aford to take some extra monney for emergency then stay home or visit your beautiful country like I do.
    A thankful person liberated by the Americans in WW2

April 20, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Reply
  45. lindsey

my sister is trapped in the UK after traveling there for an academic conference. she is a STUDENT and is doubly concerned that she will have to withdraw from her classes and thus will have major issues with her financial aid. we would like to think that there would be some sort of understanding on her college or sallie mae's part, but i think we know better.

why has the US not sent ships?

and to the guy that says "if you are stuck, its because you want to be," he can go eff himself. what, she is supposed to hitchhike to SPAIN?!?!?!

April 20, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Reply
  46. Jay in the middle east

To Carol in Raleigh, C-130's can carry a max of 92 passengers not hundreds and hundreds. The majority of those are busy flying soldiers, sailors, marines and airmen to and from home the middle east, many of them wounded or deceased. I'm sorry that your husband got stuck overseas without his medicine, but military assets are more busy doing what they are tasked to do. They can't be diverted because civilians need a ride home. Look at the bigger picture outside of your own little world. It's called personal responsibility. Crap happens. Some are prepared for it, the others cry when they aren't prepared and expect someone other than themselves to solve their problems for them.

April 20, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Reply
  47. traveldog

As I sit here rotting in Germany for the fifth day I think to myself that the US government helps everyone else in the world, except those that pay the taxes to keep it going. Shame on them, they could have done something.

April 20, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Reply
  48. Princess

No I don't think enough is being done, especially for our troops that were first affected by the uprising and now the volcano. I am not an expert of course but I feel if certain persons wanted to get them home they could have made it happen. My husband along with two other team member have been trying to get hom from their deployment for almost three weeks now. It is beyond ridiculous at this point. I feel for everyone who has been affected or stranded by this volcano but it is biitersweet for us who just want our loved ones home and have been hit with one delay after another. It has been almost 8 months at this point and its not an easy thing to tell your children daddy is coming home and then saying I am sorry no he is not and then again daddy is coming home and then no he is not. So no I feel there are things that can be done but are not being done. Again what do I know??? I am not familiar with military procedures for this kind of situation but I wish someone could if they can just get them home!!!

April 20, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Reply
  49. Vivian Sternbuch

All the ships which have been used for pleasure, cruise ships, should be conscripted and used to get the people stranded back home.
    That could help a lot, some form of payment would have to be worked out, which should be possible

April 20, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Reply
  50. Jeremy

Are you people kidding? The U.S. Government should be personally responsible for you adults who are in Europe on your own accord? They cannot control the situation and certainly are not going to send a military vessel 10k km to Europe to "rescue", "evacuate" its citizens. Evacuate? This isn't a war zone, you are not children. Grow and realize that bad things happen like this and deal with it. Good lord, grow up. I am pretty sure I saw some of you on other posts angry about the U.S. Government too involved with your daily lives. Well your prayers have been answered. Halleluja!! You got your wish. Get home when everyone else does and stop complaining. Perhaps you'd rather be stuck under a building in Haiti? Grow up!!

April 20, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Reply
  51. Worldtravel

We all travel, we all have people waiting on the other end of the ocean, etc. Normally we take the plane and within 6 to 10 hours you are there.
    This unexpected event is jamming all this, no, wrong, officials who cannot get together until after the weekend, fail to communicate, help and point to alternatives, or make changes to the normally routes (plane travel lines, additional trains, etc.).
    Everybody has their own opinion on how to handle these kind of situations, but I see also that this is not helping each other. I am too frustrated with how the situation is being handled, because I have also someone at the other end of the Atlantic waiting for me. But all this talk about 'if you are stuck, its because you want to be' or 'what should the government do' or 'if you can afford a trip to Europe, you can afford the extra costs' or ... this is the wrong attitude. People: stop blaming one and other, but give each other the helping hand by giving supportive words or ideas on how to get from A to Z or share updates on the situation. Be positive and make plans for when you get back home!
    We all will get back home!

April 20, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Reply
  52. Mo'

last time i checked the airline industry was a private, for profit business. it's not the government's responsibility to take care of them when the going gets rough.

this was an act of nature, also known as S**T happens! it's air travel- there are disruptions beyond anyone's control. the airlines will remedy this situation like they did the disruptions of 9/11, without the government's involvement. btw i'm saying this as an airline employee-

get your heads out of your butts, people. LESS government, not more government! do you really want the government in charge of every aspect of life? oh boy wouldn't that be fun. your everything would be paid for but there'd be so many rules imposed that you couldn't enjoy anything.

sign me up!

April 20, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Reply
  53. stranded in UK

The US is doing absolutely nothing for their citizens. If citizens of some third world country needed help, they'd be all over it. They should use military ships and planes to get people to Spain or France so they can get home. They are pathetic.

April 20, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Reply
  54. leena

What happens to people with visas? Will this be an issue when they apply for a visa again? Will the delay due to natural disasters show them as out of status?

April 20, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Reply
  55. JessSoxFan

Just take this as a lesson that the U.S. Govt is not going to help you in any future crisis. You will be on your own for many days. I don't really think it would take more than a few hours of planning to get some elderly, sick, families with young children, out of northern Europe. Get a couple of buses to bus them down to Spain and then get them home from there with the open airspace.

April 20, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Reply
  56. Lisa Legg

There are troops right now stuck after they have fought in Afghanistan for 8months and cant get home!!! My son is one of them. Someone needs to help get these troops home !

April 20, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Reply
  57. Brian

I'm stranded in France. You would think with the high-end taxes I pay, therer would be plan to rescue the stranded by the U.S government. I will commend the French health care system which helped me secure temporray medications since I have run out. After this experience, I might listen closer to socialized health care debates. They were even kind enough to fufill my visits for free as a national freindship gesture to the U.S I was very impressed and thankful. The meds were also significanlt cheaper even for out-of-pocket. Thank you France.

April 20, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Reply
  58. David Dillon

Why not print up a few billion to aid these poor Americans? Doing without medicine can be agonizing or fatal. Oh, sorry, wall street needs it all.

April 20, 2010 at 5:35 pm | Reply
  59. Jerry

Why should the government be expected to step in and help? Is this a major disaster? Are people dying or starving? Yes it is a major inconvenience for people, but it is not life threatening. The government was not established to be a travel agent or rescuer of citizens that are stranded in airports. I think the reason that the American government has not sent military ships over is because then we would have to listen to Americans whine that the cabin service was inadequate, the food was horrible and the entertainment was amaturish at best. The US is breeding whiney spoiled brats that need to be coddled through every bump in the road. What would happen if there was a real disaster where life and death decisions had to be made immediately? Would you wait for the government like those poor souls in New Orleans, or would you take action yourself to protect yourself and your loved ones? If you would wait for the government then you should hope that all of your affairs are in order, and that you won't be missed.

And yes I am an American. I am an American who does not expect the government to bail me out or take care of me. There are still a few of us left.

April 20, 2010 at 5:36 pm | Reply
  60. Jim

Maybe a contribution to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign will facilitate US Embassy help. You’re doing a heckuva job, Madame Clinton!

April 20, 2010 at 5:41 pm | Reply
  61. RH

If commericial planes can't fly, how can military planes fly? Airspace is closed, not just airports. Also, do you really want to spend a week on a Navy ship? Trust me, these ships are not cruise ships. While the Brits did a good thing to go to Spain, they just went to Spain. If the US Navy went to Spain, how would people get there and who would be allowed to board? There is only so much space. At what point do we spend tax dollars to bring people back from vacation and business trips? Someone made a comment that they didn't want to ask their family for money. Why not?

April 20, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Reply
  62. Deployed

Some of you people, well most, AMAZE me. You are absolutely clueless. As been said a few times, the military is stretched thin enough handling OIF/OEF as well as relief efforts in other nations. You're all adults. You have to take responsibility for your actions. I'm sorry you might not be able to afford some of these costs that come up because of what's gone on, but life is difficult. Get over it. And to those who have brought up the Royal Navy sending ships, it's a lot easier to send a RN ship for a few hundred people at most several hundred miles. It's a lot more difficult to send a ship across the Atlantic with little to no knowledge of how many people you're going to be 'rescuing' from a damn 1st world nation. Babies, the lot of you.

April 20, 2010 at 5:45 pm | Reply
  63. Marie in London

We don't expect a financial bailout but would appreciate some guidance from the US State Department on how best to get back to the US from Europe. This is their job.

April 20, 2010 at 6:10 pm | Reply
  64. Robert

I am an American and I do not expect the government to hold my hand... pick me up and drop me at the doorstep. My flights have be pushed/ canceled but you will never hear me cry.

It is impossible for the government to come and get you. Military plans are grounded in that area and it would take weeks on a ship to get back to the states... have you lost your minds, suck it up.

I been traveling the world for years and I know better then to travel without an extra 30 days beyond your return date of medication. Poor planning on your part DOES NOT MAKE IT AN EMERGENCY ON MY PART OR THE GOVERNMENT'S PART.

Things can happen, at least you are suck in Europe... I am in the Middle East trying to get home.

April 20, 2010 at 6:25 pm | Reply
  65. J Thomas

Spoiled Americans... if you travel abroad it is not like going to the Mall down the road. You travel abroad during war time, and you don't think that maybe you should be prepared for short term emergencies? When I travelled abroad I was embarresed by the "ugly americans"-
    I feel for my fellow americans who are stuck, but I have relatives and my boss travelling in France/Germany. They are managing- some sleeping/"bathing" in public transportation hubs. They are dealing w/ it. "Why are'nt we doing like the (SOCIALIST) governments in europe?" Oh wait, lets blame this on Obama...that would be so much better right?

April 20, 2010 at 6:33 pm | Reply
  66. JG

Amazing how people don't look at maps.

Ships would take days to get to Europe, and Navy ships are limited i the number of people they can carry, and we're talking about 10s of thousands of Americans. The British ship sent to Spain is going to pick up a whole 200 passengers, which is nothing compared to the demand. In this day and age, there is no substitute for air travel for Americans traveling to Europe. You either fly or stay where you are. For those of you running low on meds...Europe has doctors, nurses, hospitals....and your meds will probably be cheaper than in the US!

Get off your computers and fend for yourselves. You are in European nations, not far flung corners of the universe. I know it's hard, and you would rather be home, and some of you have pressing matters to deal with, but the US government doesn't owe you a trip home now anymore than it owes you transportation out of Chicago during a blizzard.

April 20, 2010 at 6:57 pm | Reply
  67. Yasuo

I'm Japanese and stuck in Hungary for 5 days. Japanese government and Embssy did not take an action. They just said to me "Watch CNN". I did not expect Japanese government do somthing for this problem. Current Government of Japan is really sucks in the history ever. KLM told me My reservation tomorow is OK. I hope I do not lose my job...

April 20, 2010 at 7:01 pm | Reply
  68. md

United tells us that the European carriers are putting on extra flights to bring their nationals home, but the EU won't let US carriers add flights. EU governments are helping their citizens come home with the aid of the military. We aren't looking for a hand out, but a level playing field. I and my fiance are stranded here in France for at least another week, it's impossible here – expensive and miserable. Not a word from the US government and an "Out of office" from the US Embassy in Paris – I just paid my taxes and I'd like to think that in an emergency the US government would give a rats behind about us....

April 20, 2010 at 7:10 pm | Reply
  69. J Crespo

You can't find insulin in europe? Where do you thing you are? in the middle of the Amazon? I will give you a tip: go to the nearest pharmacy. In Spain there area thousands of them. In most places you will find two or three within walking distance.

April 20, 2010 at 7:19 pm | Reply
  70. Alec Cross

We are currently trying to assist several clients stuck in Europe. The US Go'ernment has very little to say about this problem, and as far as we can see, not much information or action either.

Davis Bradley : .....and if your credit card is maxed out ?
    Comment, on a postcard please, mailed to.......

April 20, 2010 at 7:26 pm | Reply
  71. Jymmy D

Hmm, what I wouldn't do to be stranded...

April 20, 2010 at 7:27 pm | Reply
  72. joanna elizabeth gilbert

People in Spain are trying their best to make their way to Calais and other ports but No information is being given to them. I f ships are being sent then tell people when and where to go, it seems ships might go to Spain and yet they are being told to go to Calais! Why have'nt the goverment taken control, sent help and made information clearly available!

April 20, 2010 at 7:31 pm | Reply
  73. Doug Harvey

You have got to be kidding me!!! Do you have any idea how long it takes to get a ship across the atlantic??? 10-14 Days. Do you really think we have ships just sitting around doing nothing?? REALLY? You are a little uncomfortable; your life is not in danger; suck it up.

April 20, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Reply
  74. Doug Harvey

You have got to be kidding me!!! Do you have any idea how long it takes to get a ship across the Atlantci??? 10-14 days. How many extra people do you think they can carry in addition to their crew for more than just a day or two? Maybe 1000 on the 2 or 3 big troop ships. But those ships also just had their deployment schedules interrupted to go to Haiti to save lives. They need to finish their training to relieve the ships that are out fighting our nation's wars. You are a little uncomfortable; your life is not in danger; suck it up.

April 20, 2010 at 7:42 pm | Reply
  75. David Wilson

There is absolutely no requirement for governments to get involved. Next time people will plan their vacations better, take additional prescriptions with them and buy insurance that takes care of events like this.

Why should a tax payer pay for someone on vacation or visiting family to come home? That's their dime. If someone is traveling on business then its the company's responsibility to take care of its own.

Travel is never guaranteed. It rains, it snows and now we have a volcano issue.. That's life.

April 20, 2010 at 7:58 pm | Reply
  76. Jane

There are four members of my family who came to Germany. All of us were scheduled to return to the US on Sun, 18 Apr – two of us on one airline and the other two on a different airline. My daughters' flight was cancelled and rescheduled for tomorrow. My husband's and my flight was cancelled and rescheduled for this coming Saturday. Late this afternoon, my daughters' flight was cancelled again and they had to reschedule for next Monday. I have no idea if my husband's and my flight will actually be a go for Saturday. Being in Germany, we are getting very little up to date info on the situation but I do think that the US government needs to do something to help bring its citizens back to the US. I am not advocating that the airlines take any chances if there is even an inkling of possible unsafe travel. However, isn't there a way for ships, cruise ships or others, to start bringing people back to the US? If this volcano continues to erupt and this goes on for some time to come, what is really expected of people? Many people, such as myself, have medical conditions which need to be followed by doctors and we are running out of medications. Believe me, with the language barriers, it is very difficult to just arrange for medical/pharmaceutical assistance in a foreign country. Before airplanes, people did travel by different means from one continent to another and it seems to me that cruise ships could be a help to so many people in this dire situation. Is President Obama saying anything about this? As I said, info at this end is spotty at best.

April 20, 2010 at 8:18 pm | Reply
  77. Rotor

I prefer to look at challenges we are faced with as opportunities to learn and improve versus place the blame on others. To those of you who are stranded abroad, I empathize and feel for you, however the answer is not to lambast the United States of America.

To those who think we should send the military in to help. Have you considered that a C-130 has flight and PAX limitations? How about sending in one of our US Navy ships? Do you know how long it would take to sail one across the Atlantic? What happened to thinking before we speak?

Together we can all make a difference. Let's unite instead of spite!

April 20, 2010 at 8:26 pm | Reply
  78. Nancy

We are among those stranded abroad. My husband and I have been stranded here in Ireland since last Thursday. We can't get a flight out until Saturday and Delta Airlines refuses to compensate their passengers with lodging or meals. They claim it is an "Act of God" and they are not responsible. My husband wrote to the state department who responded by email "if the situation isn't resolved in 7 days, contact them again!" They ended the email by calling the situation solved. What a joke!

April 20, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Reply
  79. Cardiac100

Sitting in Amsterdam waiting to hear what is possible.. not a word from my airline other than the flight was canceled. Not a word to help with rescheduling... nothing whatsoever on the US Embassy website.. nothing on the airline website.. however the news is full of what the UK is doing to get it's citizens home. and what its doing for them in the meantime.. while we get stories that they finally are allowing the poor passengers at JFK their first shower in five days. Off to Frankfurt in the morning in the hopes of getting a flight out there.

April 20, 2010 at 8:59 pm | Reply
  80. Mary

I've been stranded in Rome with my 2 children. We are US citizens, but I work in the UK for my Govt. Last week was Spring break for US overseas schools and hundreds of teachers and students are stranded all over Europe. Various airlines and some governments arranged buses to transport passengers between major cities (i.e. Rome to London, Brussels, Paris, etc.) But not ours. My son heard from friends through Facebook about buses going from one base in Italy to another in England. How come the US Embassy 1. didn't know 2. didn't help to organize it in the 1st place?
    To the commenter who suggests getting out and "enjoying" things while stranded...if only! The 1st half of every day is seeking information (non existent) by phone, internet (dial up in my hotel at approx. $.70/min.), then resorting to going to the airport in person, and still not getting any reasonable updates. This is followed by figuring out how to pay each additional day's expenses. After that one's sense of wonder and adventure are zapped by the anxiety of not knowing how much longer the airport will remain closed! As well as worrying how much my salary might be docked by the whole event. The 1st 2-3 days are bearable, then it ain't no fun anymore.

April 20, 2010 at 9:23 pm | Reply
  81. Shaun

I love reading the "whiner" comments from folks who haven't the slightest clue what's going on....

I was scheduled to fly out of Frankfurt last Friday. I've now had 4 flights cancelled and United has very nonchalantly told me that the next flight on which I "might" get home is next Tuesday – 12 DAYS after my original flight. And there's absolutely no guarantee that flight won't be cancelled leading to yet another 7 day or more delay. Who knows?

Information has been almost impossible to come by. United seems to be doing nothing but thumb twiddling, hotels have been jacking up their rates, airlines with "open" unassigned seats are now selling them for thousands of dollars (economy) as one way tickets rather than reserving them for those folks that have been waiting longest.

Most of us that are complaining about a lack of government involvement simply want a coordinated effort between the various governments and airlines to get people home as expeditiously as possible by doing things like busing folks from the north to airports in the south that have been open and then not requiring thousands of dollars in change fees or requiring new tickets at those airports that are open.

Maybe some of you think 12 day or more delays with the exorbitant attended costs are ok. I think you'd have a different opinion if you were here...

April 20, 2010 at 9:36 pm | Reply
  82. Jon B

Re: Jane April 20th, 2010 8:18 pm ET

Jane you are in Germany not Kazahkstan, the Germans actually speak better English than Americans.

Perhaps you are really stuck. Could I suggest maybe a German-English dictionary may be of help....

April 20, 2010 at 9:43 pm | Reply
  83. Amanda B. Thomas

This is unbelievable. I have been stuck in Germany for 5 days. Moved hotels 3 times...each time the price rises to about 400$ per night. The German government is only letting Lufthansa fly in and out of the country – all US airlines have cancelled flights again for tommorow? Why are we letting their planes land in the US? Where is my goverment? The UK has sent the Navy to rescue their citizens! My government has said and done nothing??? I am in need of a few good men – where the hell are the Marines, State Department, Obama???????????? Disgusted and Broke in FRANKFURT!!!!!

April 20, 2010 at 9:55 pm | Reply
  84. Katie A

The U.S. government is not under any obligation to help American travellers stranded overseas in a situation like this. This is not a case like when Americans are in a foreign country where violence breaks out and Americans are in real danger if they remain in the country and need government assistance to leave. No one is in danger here. Yes, they may be inconvenienced, but I think the government has much more important things to be spending its time and money on.

People need to be be patient. No, your airline is not going to be able to reschedule your flight immediately. No, there might not be information readily available. Conditions are changing constantly and they have no way of predicting what will happen next. So be patient and make the best of a bad situation.

April 20, 2010 at 10:08 pm | Reply
  85. AO KRAMER

THE US GOVERNMENT/MEDIA DOES NOT APPRECIATE THE SEVERITY OF THE SITUATION. Our group of 5 professionals on a business trip has been stranded since Sunday. We are the lucky ones, even though between us we have 8 kids under 10 years old who are awaiting their moms and dads. We are lucky because we can afford to stay in hotels and are frequent flyers who are escalated to the tops of the lists of bumped travelers. Yet, even we are unlikely tyo travel before next Sunday–a total delay of 8 days, without prescriptions, etc. And there are no assurances that we'll fly on Sunday with a new ash cloud in view. The Royal Navy sends ships, but what is the US doing to rescue its thousands of travelers??? Everywhere we go in London we meet with other stranded passengers. Crazy situation.

April 20, 2010 at 10:11 pm | Reply
  86. Tarheel

I've been stuck in London the whole time and after numerous telephone calls to the American Embassy, I'm shocked at the total lack of help, information supplied by our Embassy. All they did was refer us to the web site, which contained erroneous information such as a wrong number for Delta airlines. Lesson learned: don't look to our Embassy for anything at all in an emergency. Very disappointed.

April 20, 2010 at 10:30 pm | Reply
  87. Charlie

If you spent all your money on a vacation to Europe, and left no money in reserve for emergency, who's fault is this? Now, you want U.S. Gov (tax payers) to pay for your stay or return, what planet did you fall off! I am sure Europe is attending to all medical needs, you may not be in 5star hotel, but you have what you need. Like they said you could be in Haiti or Afghanistan, I am sure one of our soldiers would trade places! Buck up cowboy!!!

April 20, 2010 at 10:46 pm | Reply
  88. Charlie

BTW, flight delays due to a natural event is not really an EMERGENCY for the Governemt to get involved in, now if a Warlord was hunting you and other innocent people down to kill you, or there was a disaster that threatened your life, that is an Emergency, one the Government would get involved in. Also, for those who say, send a military airplane or ship. WE ARE AT WAR AT THIS TIME PEOPLE!!! The military is a bit occupied, as it has been for the last few YEARS!!!!! Get a clue, think for yourself, and take the action needed to get home when you can.

April 20, 2010 at 10:58 pm | Reply
  89. Jon

Hey everybody, did you notice that good old Obama also canceled his flight to Europe.....For those who are clueless, the volcanic ash affects Air Force One like any other aircraft. This event is a major pain in the XXXX, but it is not an EMERGENCY. Get over the fact that this is not some disaster that you are stuck in another country because of Mother Nature and Flight Safety. Bad luck, lousy timing, whatever, but the rest of the world does not need to chip in to bail you out.

April 20, 2010 at 11:41 pm | Reply
  90. Alade Temitope Raphael

I think the US goverment are wasting too much time on this situation, i dont think they need a James-Bond to do it for them. They should effectively take a precautionary action on this issue, by sending a navy ship for their rescue. and also the issue of other world leaders assisting in helping the situation on ground, i think is a good idea but the question is when there is limitation of love & care in the world at large how would the nations help in saving the lives of their fellow human?.........

April 21, 2010 at 12:22 am | Reply
  91. GTG

I am an American stranded in Germany.

I would like to hear at least some kind of acknowledgment from our government. I don't think they should "bail us out" but i think some kind of plan would be great. It's easy for others to sit on the sidelines and say take care of yourself blah blah blah, when they ARE NOT the ones shelling out 200 bucks of unplanned money each day this continues. We just need someone to come up with a plan to divert stranded travelers around this ash cloud.

For example, tell me that Zurich airport will be open for 3 days, and I will get rebooked and take a train there...but NO ONE CAN TELL ME THAT. Airport closures are reported on a daily basis not weekly. SO should I gamble with the money i have left? The airlines surely won't reimburse me for that gamble.

Everyone is going broke over a lack of infrastructure planning.

April 21, 2010 at 12:28 am | Reply
  92. Catherine

I cannot believe our government isn't doing more to help the stranded American passengers. There are more than 40,000 Americans stranded in the UK alone! Nobody from the US government has commented on, offered help, guidance, anything. It's disgraceful. The airlines aren't doing enough to accomodate our citizens and our government won't hold them to task – the airline lobby is too powerful. I called the office of my Senator, John Cornyn, today to ask what he was doing to help my husband and my 4 year old daughter get home. His staff member told me I needed to call the State Department. Can you believe it! Someone needs to stand up and begin to think of solutions. The British government has arranged to pick up it's stranded citizens via Navy ships and motor coaches from Spain. Why aren't we coming up with solutions or even talking about the problem??

April 21, 2010 at 1:00 am | Reply
  93. deepwater805

I'm simply amazed at all the folks who think that it's the governments fault for their extended holiday, and that their government should have bailed them out. This "act of God" caught everybody with their pants down. This includes the governments, the airlines, and yes, even the passengers themselves. However, now that it has happened, there will probably be a new response criteria in place for a future similar air space shut down. I'll bet that both the airline industry, and their respective governments are gonna come up with contingency plans very soon. Crisis like this one usually result with some kind of a reactionary formula. It would also be a good idea for those who travel by air to come up with their own escape plan. IE; Alternate routes, cash reserves, and don't forget to bring a universal plug so you can keep your cell phone charged.

April 21, 2010 at 1:22 am | Reply
  94. Jim

To: Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton:
    Regarding the assistance your embassies are giving stranded American citizens:
    Heckuva Job! HECK – OF – A – JOB!
    What is the requested donation to your presidential campaign fund in order to get some help from the US State Department?

April 21, 2010 at 3:47 am | Reply
  95. Sharon

It doesn't surprize me about the US Gov't. I don't think much has been learned since Katrina, and look what happened to New Orleans.

In addition, US CItizens pay VERY LOW TAXES compared to any other Western nation, and yet still complain the most. So don't be surprised when you don't see services to citizens matching those of European countries. The citizens there pay much higher taxes, and thus can enjoy gov't support when needed.

April 21, 2010 at 5:56 am | Reply
  96. Airman

Marie in London April 20th, 2010 6:10 pm ET

Why is it THEIR job? Also, what recommendation or guidance do you expect them to give!

April 21, 2010 at 6:29 am | Reply
  97. Pawel

2 years ago I became a US citizen and I am starting to regret it. I have been stuck in UK for 5 days now.

I called the consulate from the hotel and they told me to get my family to wire money, wire it to where my hotel?

US consulate you cant even understand what they are saying they have such a hard English accent. Did you see the consulate staff at Heathrow or Gatwick airport ? Of course not.

I dont care what else are we involved in in the world this should be priority One to get your People home.

I am glad I kept my other citizenship i might be needing it when I am abroad ( Next time i will bring the other passport)

I guess once upon a time the US GOV cared about the citizens.

April 21, 2010 at 9:35 am | Reply
  98. Vivifiant

The ant and the grasshopper: The European ants pay high taxes year after year while the American grasshoppers are anti-government and prefer to pay low taxes (except for wars and military) and aptly steer their 8 cylinders around pot holes .... Now, when there is a bigger pot hole in the tarmac, named Eyajfjallajökull, they cry and want to get bailed out.... ts ts ts

Vivifiant, Ohio

April 21, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Reply
  99. Rotor

Pawel asks...My question is I am a US citizen stuck overseas no way home across the Atlantic, the UK government sent buses and UK Navy to bring their citizens home. WHERE IS THE US NAVY?

Pawel...the US Govt can do as the UK govt has done for their personnel. Let's have them put the bus you're asking for on the US Navy ship to bring you all home. Be prepared for a long wait. Sailing a ship across the Atlantic is not quite the same as sending a bus from the UK to Italy to pick up people. Your comments remind me that "if common sense were so common, we'd all have it".

Signed,
    Proud American Citizen who works for the US government (AF that is)!

April 21, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Reply
  100. Sam

I totally agree with the posters who state "why SHOULD the government help you get back to whereever?" It is not an act of war. It is an act of nature and my goodness if we went to the government everytime something when wrong then where would we be?

Could the government loan you money to assist with lodging? Sure as long as you know it's a loan and must be paid back.

Listen you have chosen to travel and you have chosen to take the risks involved in that said travel. dont' expect a bail out just because a volcano has blown it's top!

April 21, 2010 at 8:34 pm | Reply
  101. miraclepie

I am a Canadian living in the UK, and I am absolutely appalled by the way people are moaning and complaining about what's going on. It's nobody's fault, and it certainly isn't the Government's responsibility.

People "stuck" in Europe trying to get elsewhere in Europe/UK are the most annoying. There are plenty of people who are coordinating themselves in carpools, and people are opening their homes for those who are stranded.

I received an email from the Canadian High Commission to open my home, and I promptly responded that I would be happy to. There is help available, and absolutely ZERO reason that people should be paying $5000 if they don't have the money because they don't have to!

I do agree that the gov'ts around the world should be working together to coordinate with the available airspace to alleviate the strain on particular routes, and carriers. Also gov't should obviously extend visas where needed etc.... but sending out the navy to "rescue" the "victims" is nonsense.

April 21, 2010 at 8:45 pm | Reply
  102. DEBORAH SHAVER

my boyfriend and his son went to UK to work ,work is over he wentto buy his flight tickets and someone stolen his wallet with all the money cards everything in it, now he stranded in the UK, we like him home soon cause holidays are coming and we want to get married soon,i wish someone would help him home and 13 year old son too

September 20, 2010 at 7:03 pm | Reply