Tune in at 16:00 London, 19:00 UAE

What are your World Cup superstitions?

June 9th, 2010

As the start of the 2010 World Cup comes closer with each passing day, football players and even their fans are starting an unusual range of superstitions to ensure their team wins.

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/06/09/super.art.gettyimages.jpg
caption="What are your superstitions?"]

A string of rituals – ranging from the weird to the extreme – are all commonplace for players on nearly every continent.

English team member, John Terry, is rumoured to have nearly 50 different superstitions during his pre-match ritual.

Terry has admitted that he listens to the same CD before every game, sits in the same seat on the team bus and wraps tape around his socks three times.

The former English captain is also known to have a lucky pair of shin pads that he uses during matches.

Italian footballer, Gennaro Gattuso, admitted that during the 2006 World Cup, he wore the same sweater throughout the competition.

“Everyday I wore the same sweater than I’d worn the first day of the competition,” Gattuso told FIFA.com.

“I was sweating buckets and in a terrible mood because I couldn’t bring myself to take it off.”

Gattuso, who said he was obsessed by superstitions, also told FIFA.com that he would make it a pre-game ritual to pack all his bags before each game.

Many other players also have a rather unhygienic superstition of wearing the same underwear during every game.

Other rituals include wearing bandages in certain spots, not shooting practice goals and even urinating on the football pitch.

While players have their own superstitions, many fans who watch the games also have their own.

Whether it’s a lucky rabbit foot, a pint of beer for each goal or special shirt, we want to know what your World Cup superstition is.

Do you have anything you need to do before each game? What is your ritual?

Please leave your comments below and be sure to include where you’re writing from.

Posted by ,
Filed under:  General
  1. Malkudi

Before every Manchester United game I watch, I usually kiss my girfriend 3 times before each game, and strangely we've won every game i've done that, and we've either drawn or lost every game I did not do it.

June 9, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Reply
  2. Dipesh

If I eat slippery food like banana,durian or mango during the match,my favourite team has more chances of loosing the game...so I prefer to chew hard food during a game.

June 9, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Reply
  3. Ephrem Ethiopia

On many important games such as my team Manchester United plays, I have a hobby of chewing a gum in full. In case I spare it for half time, I hardly think that my team will lose the game.

June 9, 2010 at 4:06 pm | Reply
  4. Vinni

As an avid Bayern Munich, i kiss my TV before every match. Everytime i kissed it, Bayern would advance in the Champions League or Bundesliga. I came late for the final of the Champions League and didnt kiss my TV and we lost. Too bad though, maybe next time.

June 9, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Reply
  5. Meta Kaizen

Reading the article, and the comments, it seems there are 2 degrees of crazy represented here:

Level 1- the athletes themselves. Silly superstitions with no bearing on the game, but at least it puts the athlete in a better frame of mind.

Level 2- The fans. Nothing they do could possibly have an effect on the game, and besides, there's an equally crazy fan of the other team performing his own idiotic rituals.

June 9, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Reply
  6. Talal

I think that superstitions are not necessary for winning a match but some people believe in them purely on an imbecellic basis.

June 9, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Reply
  7. Zheng

I used to have the inconceivable belief that if I watched a football match live on TV, that would somehow influence the events on the pitch.
    So one time I missed a live football game with my favorite team, who lost. I hated myself for not having watched that game, because I thought that if I had watched it, they might've won.
    I realize that it's obviously nonsense but I truly held that belief. As if a distortion in the time space continuum on my part could actually influence events half way across the glove (as I was watching European football in China).

June 9, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Reply
  8. Faust

Avoiding any form of sexual activities with my girlfriend for a period of 12 hours before the game.....Works everytime!!
    Faust: Nairobi,Kenya

June 9, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Reply
  9. Sara

During every Benfica game, I have to wear the same earrings and 2 rings.
    This year we won the Portuguese league so I guess it worked! 🙂

June 9, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Reply
  10. Lawrence

I just enjoy the game, no rituals for me!

Lawrence
    The Netherlands

June 9, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Reply
  11. Keira

I don't have a superstition - not for football at least. Sorry world, I just don't care much for the sport! I think I'm the only person in the known world who doesn't care for it. Baseball, basketball & volleyball? Yes! This? Not so much.

Keira
    NY

June 9, 2010 at 5:39 pm | Reply
  12. Jurgen R. Brul

Hello CNN friends,

Before a football game begins I say:
    GOD IS LEADER!
    IN GOD WE TRUST!
    IN GOD WE HAVE JUSTICE!

Advice
    Let us Now Connect to make our world
    a Better Healthier and Beautiful World
    for You and for Me!

Greetings,
    Jurgen R. Brul
    Hometown: Paramaribo
    Country: Suriname
    Latin-American

June 9, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Reply
  13. MAC

I'm a Real Madrid Fan, and supporter of the Spanish Team. I would sit with my wife and son to watch the whole game, if she doesn't watch the game we usually loose, I'm working abroad so that makes it harder to make her sit during the game, hope she sits to watch all of Spain's game so we can win the world cup. My son in the other hand, is only two years old and every time he says goal .. Real Madrid scores, bad thing is that he normally only sits 30 min tops to watch the game and then he wants to go out and play.

June 9, 2010 at 5:48 pm | Reply
  14. Jose Guillen

My father taught me about superstitions when I was young. He played for a reserve team for Chivas de Guadalajara and almost made it into the first-division Mexican team until he didn't perform a pre-game ritual he always did and broke his ankle. He taught me that ritual and ever since I have been playing since being a 5-year old, I always step into the field with my right foot first, touch the grass with my right hand and cross myself, in that order. When I was 15, I broke my foot during a game and that was a result of not having stepped onto the field with my right foot, despite the fact that I did everything else. Since the injury wasn't that severe though, I was back to playing 6 months later. Another long-standing ritual I started since then is that I have been wearing the laces from the boots I was wearing when I broke my foot on every new pair of football boots I buy. I don't know what I'll do when those laces wear out, haha.

June 9, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Reply
  15. Carlos

Superstition, cabala or however you prefer to name it. I'm sure it's quite funny to have one of them and see whether they work on your benefit ... or not. Don't take it too seriously, I personally LMAO whenever mine works and my friends' don't !! LET THE WORLD CUP BEGIN ! ... VAMOS MEXICOOOOO !!! 😀

June 9, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Reply
  16. Andy

superstition, mere believe of some people in this world. -voudu- works they also have consequences. this idea break the spirit of the game and make sport less interesting.

June 9, 2010 at 6:32 pm | Reply
  17. Go Bafana Bafana

2010 will go down in history as the most dynamic, exciting, spectacular World Cup of all time. South Africa will dazzle the world with its style and charm. Go Team, Go Bafana.

June 9, 2010 at 6:38 pm | Reply
  18. wisemann

I prepare my cans of beer and unhook the phone, Bribe my 8 years old son to seat with me. My team FC Barcelona never looses.

June 9, 2010 at 6:48 pm | Reply
  19. israel

IF I WATCH MY GAMES FROM THE BEGINNING MY TEAM MOST TIME LOSES. WEIRD HUH

June 9, 2010 at 7:51 pm | Reply
  20. UsA uSa

If u.s. is still behind with 10 left in regulation I'll get up and change around the furniture because I feel it represents a new moment and energy that the players can feel as well.

June 9, 2010 at 7:59 pm | Reply
  21. Gabriel

Before any Barcelona game, I perform the most common ritual known to Man. Drink beer, eat chips, and sit on comfortable sofas.

June 9, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Reply
  22. Shan

i never do the following in games that I play:

* wear red clothes
    * wear black shoes
    * wear long sleeves

Each time I have done any of these things, my team has lost. I'm clothing-superstitious!

June 9, 2010 at 9:01 pm | Reply
  23. Bezi Emmanuel

Am an arsenal fan,anytime i skip a match we normally lost the match so i have to be close to my TV set so Arsenal can win.
    Emmanuel from Nigeria

June 9, 2010 at 9:02 pm | Reply
  24. Aaron

It's LOSE people NOT LOOSE!!!!!! Thanks 🙂

June 9, 2010 at 10:57 pm | Reply
  25. Lex Nande

Every World Cup I clap my hands 3 times loudly, and yell WE ARE GOING TO WIN THIS AMERICA!!!!!! strangely enough, if never works! I need a new superstition...

June 10, 2010 at 12:04 am | Reply
  26. Myers

This never fails.... never. Try it out, and you'll see what I mean.

Whenever I see a soccer game on TV, I switch the channel. When I switch back, the game is actually a little closer to the end.

June 10, 2010 at 12:18 am | Reply
  27. Ghana

I'll just pray to God to give the players strenght and power 😉

June 10, 2010 at 12:41 am | Reply
  28. Ishrat Rumy

Instead of being superstitious, my ritual is to look forward for pleasant surprises before each game.

June 11, 2010 at 7:34 am | Reply
  29. Fabio Agistino

Yes, it is funny you should ask this. I cup my testicles with my left hand, and hold my left breast with my right hand, until my team it scores it's first goal. Once a goal scored, I swap hands. It work in 2006...go Italia...you greatest team, I love you.

June 14, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Reply