Tune in at 16:00 London, 19:00 UAE

Moving across borders to find a job?

July 2nd, 2010

For a brief moment, there seemed to be a bit of hope at the end of the financial crisis as job numbers indicated a rebound in the economy.

A surge in hiring in May accounted for more than 400,000 new jobs in the United States - although many of those were temporary government positions - and in April, the private sector added a staggering 218,000 jobs.

In the United Kingdom, Canada and Australia, job numbers began to rebound, but have since flattened.

The news provided a brief respite in what has otherwise been a devastating past two years for individuals, families and businesses around the world.

Financial markets around the world continue to jitter over concerns that the recession may return and only get worse.

Many economists forecast that the private sector in the U.S. will add only 100,000 jobs in June, far weaker than either March or April.

Many say it could be late 2010 or even early 2011 before businesses will once again be adding 200,000 jobs in a month.

The bad news has forced unemployed workers around the world to take drastic steps to find a job - many have even moved across borders and into different countries to survive.

Stories of Americans moving to Europe, college graduates taking working holidays to Australia and South Americans heading across the ocean to Spain are all too common place.

Things have even gotten much worse for thousands of workers that they have been forced to return to their home country because the jobs have all but disappeared in their adopted state.

Spain's poor economy has forced thousands of South American to migrate back home to places like Ecuador in record numbers.

We want to know what you think.

Have you been affected by the recession and forced to relocate for work? What lengths have you had to go to find a job? Would you be willing to move half way around the world for work?

Please let us know and do send in your questions and comments.

We'd also love to hear from you via Twitter - just reply @BeckyCNN.

You can also send in your videos and pictures via iReport by clicking here.

Filed under:  General
  1. Michael

Been there. Done that already (2004). Changed continents, but went only about a third of the way around the world. Feeling fortunate to have been able to remain wtihin my industry and specialization, but very angry at the US Government and US businesses for making it so unnecessarily difficult on US citizens living and working abroad. Want an example? Consider the effects of living and working abroad on my (US) credit rating.

July 2, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Reply
  2. Ruth Zahnd

When is the US government waking up and put some extra tax on chinese made goods? We need our jobs back in the US and employ our own people that cannot find work. Walmart is making Billions on chinese made products, they cost very little to produce but WalMart is selling for the same price as before the merchandise was made in China. Stop buying at WalMart and stop buying chinese made goods. Maybe the greedy companies will manufacture the products back in the US of A. Maybe we will be able to buy a product that is made in the US. Just maybe I can then buy a new coffee pot. I will not buy chinese made products. They either are poisoned, flawed or crappy quality. We need the jobs right here in the United States. We need to give unemployed Dad's their pride to provide back.
    My thoughts Ruth

July 2, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Reply
  3. Rumsfeld

Michael makes a good point. Would that we all had direct experience with the reality of what is a global economic and human struggle. We make it very hard to live and live peaceably in this world.

July 2, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Reply
  4. Shawn

I was laid off from two corporate marketing jobs in one year. I fell back on a backup skill I have and took a job in the middle east. So yes, I have found myself relocating half way around the world for work due to the economy.

July 2, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Reply
  5. Jurgen R. Brul

Hello CNN friends,

Please Think Twice before you are willing to move
    half way around the world for work,
    because CNN former Connector of the Day: Laura G. Ling
    was due to her work around the world Detained in North Korea.
    The North Korea Men did Terrible Things to her!

But when she was Passionately Reunited with her husband,
    she conceived a baby girl named after her sister, Lisa J. Ling and
    the 42nd President of the United States, William Jefferson "Bill" Clinton.

Advice:
    Just Think Twice!
    Let us Now Connect to make our world
    a Better Healthier and Beautiful World
    for You and for Me!

Greetings,
    Jurgen R. Brul
    Hometown: Paramaribo
    Country: Suriname
    Latin-American

July 2, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Reply
  6. Prime Example of this phenomenon.

I graduated a top US college in 2009. Couldn't get a job in New York, where I wanted to live. So I took advantage of my dual citizenship and was offered a job in London. London is an amalgamation of people just like me from all over, especially France, Spain, Italy, South Africa and Australia and New Zealand.

Now here I am. I love it here. Will I move back any time soon? Probably not. America just lost some talent.

July 2, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Reply
  7. Nic

When South Africa emerged from apartheid many of us (whites) were left unemployed owing to BEE (Black Economic Empowerment) or affirmative action. Leaving home to go abroad meant visas for entry into every country I needed to go to or through, with accompanying intense interrogation and personal disclosure. Unlike US or EU citizen who can just "arrive" in a foreign country (albeit feigning a holiday) to look for work. Working away from home has broadened my horizons, made me realise how lucky people in their own country are to have good jobs. Our need to "prove" our worth in the face of 1st world applicants has made us 3rd world players better employees, and more effective in our work in order to ensure a sustainable future for ourselves. No regrets, just wish some 1st world national work forces would realise what opportunities they really have in their own countries, i.e current strikes in Greece as an example.

July 2, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Reply
  8. George

Left the US for Europe ten years ago and have not looked back – actually, that is not totally correct. Have had to look back every year to file a tax return and potentially pay hard earned money to a country having no connection to its source whatever. Ridiculous, though I can see why the US govt would want to discourage its citizens from leaving in favor of other industrialised nations. More holiday, more money, social healthcare, less guns, less in your face religion, less fruitless wars to fight and die for.. many of the same pursuits our forefathers left Europe in search of..

July 2, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Reply
  9. Luzette Eaves

As a "long term unemployed", I have exhausted my resources locally. I have two interviews set up for mid-July in other states. Since my unemployment benefits were stopped the first of June, and re-reinstatement looks like mid-July at best, if at all, I may not be able to afford to go on the interviews. I have had no income for the past four weeks, I have already exhausted my savings, having been laid off from a good paying job, to receive $400 per week in unemployment.

July 2, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Reply
  10. joe

Work and earnings in the USA are awful for music busness.
    Other than major recoord labels (who don't count for real music) , there is no money anywhere. How and why USA is the only country on the planet that charges for incoming phone calls on a cellular, I will never understand.
    It is the least wordly country that I have ever experienced, and I was born in the USA. It's a sad place to live in my opinion.
    It seems to be built on one getting over on another..., and that is the way business practices till this day seem to be in the USA.
    Yes, living somewhere abroad that is not all about taking advantage of another, and is low cost living, with high standards, is the way to go.

July 2, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Reply
  11. SPAN MAN

Smart people move where the jobs are... governements are useless... so are countries.

July 2, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Reply
  12. 900rr

New world order is taking over. We being manipulated from big boys.

July 2, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Reply
  13. B

I'm a recent grad from Michigan. I've been able to find work, but nothing stable (been laid off twice) and nothing that pays more than 16,000 a year. I recently took a new job and will be relocating to Asia in a month. It pays well and will be a better use of my skills and education. I'll probably come back to the US, but I'm hoping to wait until things pick up a little here.

July 2, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Reply
  14. Steve

I left a great job and moved to England to be with my new wife, who is from Norfolk. I'm now going to have to desert her to go back to the USA. I still haven't been able to break the news to her.

July 2, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Reply
  15. DM

Yes I moved last year to South Korea to continue my profession as a teacher. After 5 years of being a music teacher I lost my job due to budget cuts.

July 2, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Reply
  16. Will King

I am in my thirties- did my undergraduate here in the Detroit area and my Masters in the United Kingdom. I have cashed in my modest 403 B to pay for a UN internship in the Netherlands on order to build my resume and stay competitive. I have applied for a million jobs all over the US and abroad to no avail.

The best I have managed is getting a job checking ID's/bar backing in a local Detroit area bar.

Granted, i live in ground zero of the economic crisis, but I am well educated, ambitious and hard working. This country has really sucked for me opportunity wise. The myth of going to university and studying hard pays off has been a big lie as far as I am concerned.

I am now off to Tbilisi, Republic of Georgia to teach English for the Georgian Ministry of Education in September. The pay is not great, but at least they pay for the airfare, housing, food and fly me back home for a month over Christmas. More than I can say for the US government and how they treat their citizens.

Not sure that my post is particularly relevant. I suppose I just felt like venting my frustrations. I wish everyone in this forum the best of luck on their pursuits!

July 2, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Reply
  17. DinahCat

Two years ago, I was very much out of a job, and did not have much luck in finding any decent working positions as my skills were limited and I had not completed college.

Although I was 23 years old at the time, I had moved back intto my parents home, as I had a pretty bad break up with my ex-boyfriend.

Being unable to find suitable work with a decent enough salary, my ex-boyfriend and I fought often over money.

After I had moved back to my parents house, I was able to secure a few interviews, but did not receive any calls back. I began to feel bored, useless, and depressed.

I was born in Hong Kong, and had moved to Canada at age 5. I figured that I needed to escape from this small Canadian city, which at the time, and probably still is, having a very poor economy, and with many laid-off workers. I decided to move back to Hong Kong.

I originally just wanted to study Cantonese, Mandarin and written Chinese in Hong Kong, as well as take some dancing lessons. My father half-heartedly approved of my decision, and promised to help provide a small allowance for me to live on while I stayed with my Aunt. Things were beginning to look up.

Two days later, my Aunt called me back and told me that, although she had promised that I could live at her apartment while studying Chinese and taking dance lessons, she reconsidered her decision and felt that the environment in the house would be too hectic, as all 3 of my cousins, my Uncle and my cousin's baby all live in one small apartment. I felt very upset by this, upset that my plans had fallen through.

I cried for many days, wondering what I'd do with my life, without any income and still living at my parents house.

I finally got the urge to call another Aunt of mine from Hong Kong, which I was quite close to. She understood that I felt depressed being unemployed for over a year. She wanted me to have a good future, and make good use of the time in my 20s to learn more skills.

My Aunt had worked at the same company for 40 years. She promised me she'd ask her boss if they required anyone who knows English quite well, but does not know how to read or write any Chinese characters. She also told her boss that I did not speak or understand any Mandarin, and only understood Cantonese. And that I also had not finished college. My chances of getting any job seemed very slim.

A week later, my Aunt called back, with good news. She was able to secure a supervisory position for me, not in Hong Kong, but in Mainland China, near Guangzhou. I knew I had to force myself to learn to speak, listen to, read and write the Chinese language. I know its a shame that I'm Chinese and do not understand the language, but having worked in China for two years, I have learned quite a bit.

In April of 2008, I flew to Hong Kong, then entered Mainland China through the Shenzhen border. All I can say is that it was a serious culture shock to me, as the environment, living standards, people, food and culture was completely different from what I had always known, growing in a small Canadian city.

I lived in my company dormitory for free- believe me, the dormitories aren't anything nice. In fact, they are quite dirty. And although food was quite cheap, the quality was poor, and most especially oil-laden and unhealthy. I make a salary of 1000 Canadian Dollars per month, its very little, but being that I don't have to pay any rent or utilities, it is easy to save up money. It was an opportunity to gain new learning experiences and skills which would not have been easily provided to me had I stayed in my hometown in Canada.

I do miss my hometown, but I do not regret making the big move here.
    I have a stable income, I have a chance to work in a challenging positon and environment, and I am learning so much. I had even saved up enough money in these two years to renovate my work dormitory room with IKEA furniture, making my living conditions a little bit more bearable after a long day's work. And also, I have saved up enough to even pay for a new car with only a one-time payment.

I enourage others, whether young or older, to take chances in life, and go wherever the opportunities are, even if they are across the ocean. It is a great learning experience, and there is nothing to lose.

What I miss most about Canada:

I only miss my Ontario Health Card (all those free doctor's visits),

Having clean, raw vegetables and fruits available to eat,

The clean environment, streets, people,

My parents,

My old bedroom,

My old friends,

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups,

No internet censorship,

and many many others.

But main point is, I'm having a steady income, and although work pays little, and I am overworked, I feel grateful and happy that I have this opportunity.

July 2, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Reply
  18. Robert Rasmussen

Look stop playing the blame game on China and other countries. First of Start to Blame the US Government first and up most above all others. The US Government has done nothing to promote true economic growth in becoming once more a producing country period. They can Cap the trade with ease as well as promote technology growth to step up America be ahead of other nations. The US government thinks it's the leader in this field cause of the amount of food we produce here and Military Tech. Sadly we are falling behind cause of this false notion that we were the top. Stop being an only Consumer Nation and become a Producing one. Stop the Outsourcing to other Countries and take control of the Health Insurance and growing bad trends we are currently on...

July 2, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Reply
  19. canisminoris

@ Will King:

A million jobs, huh? Let's say it takes you 10 minutes to log-onto a company's job website, fill in the form, tailor your resume to suit the position and submit it. I know – that's a lot for 10 minutes, but after a million I'm sure you're quick enough to do it in 10 🙂

Okay, so 10 minutes, a million applications = 10,000,000 minutes = 19 years.

You probably graduated high school at 17, college at 20, masters at 23, and did at minimum a 1 year UN internship. So, you started your million applications when you were 24. Now, assuming you were applying full-time: no sleep, no food, no nature's calls, well, then you'd be 43 now.

How dare you lie and tell us you are in your "thirties"? 😉

July 2, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Reply
  20. Rebecca J.

I'm in a similar situation as Steve. I was living in the U.K. with my husband, but had to return to the U.S. (without him) to find a decent job. My husband and I are now undergoing the agonizing process of securing a visa for him so he can join me in the U.S.

This recession has affected us on several levels–we aren't too excited about having to navigate the U.S. healthcare system again after enjoying Britain's NHS for so many years.

July 2, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Reply
  21. Ms. Jane

We are Americans who moved to Europe for employment. We almost faced unemployment here as well, but having determination we kept our jobs and continue to live in Europe. Don't bash America, nobody promised you a job there, like nobody promised me my job in Europe.

July 2, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Reply
  22. Daymon Seals

It's FREE TRADE PEOPLE!! You want to know where your jobs went, and where they are??? WAKE UP....After free trade china rose, and are now producing every bit and bob you can think of. Your jobs and quality of life went to developing countries becasue FREE TRADE allows them to produce items and services remotely without paying in dollars. Companies make LOADS of money and they keep their prices the same. They aren't dropping prices. They're making a killing....while you loose your jobs and your homes. Most congressmen have stock in these companies and they wont stop it. Check it out for yourselves....

Im now living in London for various reasons. So many of us Americans have left. People all over the world are moving from their own country for a job. The thing is..we never had to do it. Now we do. STOP FREE TRADE, AND WE NEED TO PRODUCE OUR OWN STUFF. Watch the steel industry pick up and all kinds of jobs come back...think about it.. we can stop this and control our own destiny. We are in the car, we just need to drive it!

July 2, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Reply
  23. John

Been there done that. I moved from Italy to the States (LEGALLY) to find a more decent job. I could work LEGALLY for a few years. Then the crisis came and had to return to Europe since the US Immigration would not allow me to work there anymore. Finally I found work in Germany. After a few months, I was laid off due to job cuts. I found a second job and was also laid off for the same reasons. Now it is possible that I will have to move to another EU country soon... At least I can work and live anywhere in Europe being myself an EU citizen. Conclusion: I am sick of moving around and want to settle down and have some job stability. Is this gonna happen in this lifetime?

July 2, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Reply
  24. foreigner in Asia

I've been working/ living in Asia for the last 6 years. That's when my company opened an office overseas and we were eventually told our jobs would be phased out in the US. I came to train my replacements, hoping that a few weeks of overseas experience would boost my market value back home.

Since then, most opportunities in my company have come in the overseas branches and for local candidates.

So, I stayed on in Asia. I intend to go home, but right now, can't afford the probable paycut or lack of job.

July 2, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Reply
  25. dean

Unfortunately, the U.S. is no longer the great land of opportunity it once was. Just look at the history here. The once enormous industrial base that provided jobs for its middle class citizens has dried up. Thus all the high tech jobs are going overseas because Americans don't make anything anymore. The U.S. demise can't be blamed on Walmart or cheap Chinese imports. This started when the first cheap products from Japan hit America and the U.S. turned a blind eye to this economic invasion and over the years corporate America has sold the America people out. Once mighty American companies that employeed millions of American workers in America were allowed to be bought by foreign competitors i.e ( the steel industry, tire industry) With that, the skills that are required to make all those product have been lost and will take 20 years to aquire again even if the U.S. really gets serious about rebuilding there industrial base. Welcome to the third world college grads.

July 2, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Reply
  26. truck_bomb

The government of the United States and businesses in the United States squander and waste the manyof the opportunities that bestowed upon it. In the United States, there are many individuals with college degrees, others who worked for the military, and many others who are willing to work but the businesses in the United States and the government waste the hard work and talent that is here. I believe the United States became "great" almost by sheer luck instead of what it's capable of or any policies that is put in place. The United States became a leader because, at the time, other countries were not as advanced and in placed was a open economic system. Now, China, Russia, Brazil, India, Europe and other countries has watched the United States and have seen the mistakes the United States have made and will not make the same mistakes and will take advantage of the buffoonery thats is coming out of the United States.

I never understand why businesses hire someone and then one year or years later this person is layed off. In my opinion you have no business calling yourself a employer if your goal is to exploit workers. Most businesses do nothing for the communities that depend on them yet these same businesses are always begging for money.

I also believe the citizens of the United States need to take a stand against these weak, inept, whats in it for me politicians. It makes me sad that the citizens of the United States complain about jobs, the economy and the policies of the United States government yet the same citizens do nothing to get rid of these government freeloaders. The citizens of the United States have the power to get rid of these bums but do not vote as they should, do not protest in mass and do not do other things thus enabling these same career politicians to have a job. I have worked in the military and if I have done my job as bad as these politicians I would have lasted about a week. One example of this is in the city of North Little Rock, Arkansas. This city has had the same mayor for the last 15 or 20 years yet this mayor has done very little to advance or bring the city into the the 21st century. This mayor gets to keep his job while other less fortunate are out of work.

July 2, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Reply
  27. Sophos

Folks....it IS better abroad. Want real freedom....get outside the American box. Big world out there....

July 2, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Reply
  28. Cromagnon

Ruth Zahnd 2nd July 2010 12:54 pm ET

The US government is controlled by the Corporations, who don't care about jobs in the US. They only care about profit, and this means manufacturing outside the US to sell inside the US... If you and everybody else would just stop buying these foreign goods, things might change. Although, the US Corporations can brand goods as made in the US, when they aren't.

July 2, 2010 at 6:00 pm | Reply
  29. Derek Hildenbrand

30 year old Canadian who's lived overseas for the past 10 years in Australia, London, Beijing, Costa Rica (traveled to 70 countries) and now Argentina. For me it was a sense of adventure and international business degree that first started my travels.

There's opportunity everywhere if you have motivation... started up an internet business that allows me to work from anywhere. Competition is on a world platform and the privileged US mentality of entitlement will work no more. You have to be better than the rest if you want to succeed in business.

Looking back I have grown to despise large multinational companies that are larger than governments and will do anything (even eat their own children) for money. There is no loyalty, don't pay taxes, don't follow the same laws, and treat employees like slaves.

Broken financial/health/legal system, over regulation, high taxes and short sighted outlooks are wrecking this once great country.... sadly if you are an entrepreneur there are better opportunities elsewhere.

July 2, 2010 at 6:18 pm | Reply
  30. Gregorio

I am from the States but have been living in Eastern Europe now for nearly 3 years due to the crisis that never seems to end. Everytime I think it is going to get better in the States, it seems to crash again and again. Now I have started my own business in Ukraine helping the locals learn English...at least maybe one of them can make it somewhere in the global economy. As for me, I am now a business owner and never going back to working for someone else again!

July 2, 2010 at 6:31 pm | Reply
  31. Will King

@canisminoris- No, I am 38. I had a career in healthcare prior to my studies. I began the education path later in life.

With regard to one million jobs, I am afraid you are taking my comments too literally. My comments were meant to be a rant. Though I will say, I have applied for probably over one hundred vacancies in the last year alone. The problem lies with my lack of experience in my field of study (International Relations) as well as my geographic location (Detroit). My resume is heavily weighted in Emergency medicine, and I needn't remind you of the job market here in Detroit.

Again, my post was merely an expression of frustration. Perhaps you should lighten up and take a breath before being so judgmental of others?

July 2, 2010 at 6:33 pm | Reply
  32. Gio

Moved abroad to Europe for work and a better life. Finding work is still difficult, but things are cheaper, the food is awesome and free of GMO's, GMO food is not allowed in the European union for people or animal consumption. FREE medical of very high quality, far better than the US any day. Medical is just no frills here, no exotic fish tank in the waiting room, just top quality care. What I miss most about American, my friends and isopropyl alcohol, other than that I don't miss much else about America.

July 2, 2010 at 6:33 pm | Reply
  33. Chad Ryerson

This was a very interesting article, and I enjoyed reading the comments. The reality is that there are no jobs in the United States, and I understand this. I am currently a Peace Corps volunteer in Honduras, and am writing my Master's Capstone in the field. When I leave my post here, I will do what Americans do best though, create my own job. When times get tough people, the tough get going. On a side note though, I believe the solution now lies in recycling. Americans do not recycle half as much as they could, and I believe becoming more competitive and efficient American recyclers could be a good solution to our economic woes. We could compete with China, save our environment, and make some money all in one. Last time I checked, the richest man and women in China are both in the recycling business. We'll have to recycle anyways if we want to make it out alive, unless anyone plans on moving to Mars anytime soon.

July 2, 2010 at 6:47 pm | Reply
  34. Permanent Expat

I've been working overseas for 18 years, six countries, three continents. I see no reason to return, the opportunities overseas are so much greater. Equivalent pay, but paid housing, 3 months paid vacation, better health care and far fewer taxes. All in all, a higher standard of living, except for absences from family and friends. When home can offer something comparative, I'll consider returning.

July 2, 2010 at 7:07 pm | Reply
  35. HamidJohn

If you guys want to make the big money then come to Afghanistan as a military contracor because there are pletny jobs for all sorts of skills like working in kichens for the us military,being security gaurd, mentoring afghan forces ........etc that pay 6 digits.I am sure there are lots of companis that hire all kinds of people with different skills no matter if u have masters or u r highschool graduate. I have been working in afghanistan for the last two years and i saved up enough to buy 2 bedroom condo. trust me working in a war zone pays off!
    cheeers

July 2, 2010 at 7:21 pm | Reply
  36. Addie

You've got to do what you got to do. I live in Europe and work. I have one child with me and one lives in USA with my husband. Too afraid to go home when I have a good job here. I just don't trust the U.S government. Sad, I used to be a very proud American from the U.S. I'm still proud but sad at the direction our country is going and watching the rest of the world laugh at us.

July 2, 2010 at 7:22 pm | Reply
  37. BluRay

Upon graduation from university in the US (age 21), I moved to Japan and began teaching. Now (age 38) I am a college administrator in Tokyo, have a Japanese spouse and 2 kids. On my (rare) visits back 'home,' I am reminded of many less-than-desirable features of the US, primarily the food – sweet, high in fat and cholesterol, large portions, and few healthy alternatives (consider drink choices in supermarkets: sweet soda pop, sweet fruit juice, or water. I appreciate the wide range of teas typical in Japan) – and the resultant bulk of many US citizens. There are many reasons why I am happy to call Japan my permanent home (a very reasonable health care system, polite citizens, efficient infrastructure...and no tipping!).

July 2, 2010 at 8:01 pm | Reply
  38. Dd

Meanwhile, in Newfoundland, employers are so strapped for employees, they are sponsoring New Canadians from Somalia, The Sudan, Sierra Leone and other African nations in order to fill positions.

July 2, 2010 at 8:14 pm | Reply
  39. Nuno

I still hold the dream of seeing masses of Americans immigrating to Europe to find a better living only to be treated as dogs as the Europeans going to America wore in the past 50 years.

I still recall the humiliation of all the procedures necessary to go 2 weeks vacation to new york
    us never again

July 2, 2010 at 9:06 pm | Reply
  40. Nancy

I am without a job, after our facility shut down (yeh, a nursing home),
    after 43 successful years, and I am middle aged, and bitter. The
    government is a shambles, politicians are almost all in the loop to
    make themselves rich...and the span between the rich and poor'
    rivals the 3rd world countries. We are much the same as the poor
    during the French, and Russian revolutions. We have had it
    with the whole mess!!!! People WILL start making their own
    changes!!!

July 2, 2010 at 9:27 pm | Reply
  41. Nancy

I am without a job after seven and a half years at a nursing facility
    which closed down.....after forty-three successful years. Yes, I am
    bitter about the whole exconomy.

July 2, 2010 at 9:29 pm | Reply
  42. GGR

Nowadays, expecting to have a succesful and satisfactory career in your own country is quite a goal, even in developed countries. Unless your expectations are low, be ready to move and enjoy it!
    GG 45YOLD/5 Countries/13 years abroad/4 children

July 2, 2010 at 9:30 pm | Reply
  43. Stanley

I am lawyer in my mid 40s. I am Asian. Finding a job was bad after I closed my Partnership in Singapore. Most Companies in Asia wants younger and cheaper staff. I could no longer find any employment even in my own field despite knowing several regional languages and chinese dialects. I moved to Hong Kong then to Bangkok. Finally I decided to come back to Singapore.

I have since found employment in a totally unrelated field, at 20% of my previous income. Praise GOD that I could find employment.

July 2, 2010 at 10:48 pm | Reply
  44. Johnny in New Zealand

I moved from Ohio to New Zealand to get my masters degree and a job working in a library. I moved to get away from Bush America and I am now a resident of New Zealand. I have health insurance and a good job, neither of which I had in Dayton, Ohio.

July 2, 2010 at 10:55 pm | Reply
  45. c2c

Been in South Korea for 4 years and wouldn't change the decision for anything. Tax free income, no bills, $40K a year,excellent culture and travel. Paid off my student loans and get to spend my holidays in Thailand. Highly recommend it. KorVia.com

July 2, 2010 at 11:20 pm | Reply
  46. Edwin

After over a year of being unemployed as a contracter in ICT in The Netherlands, I found better opportunities in Switzerland and Belgium, where apparently there still are companies that dare to take decisions to hire freelancers. Now I live in NL and work in Belgium with a great American company.
    So, if you and your family can cope with such arrangements, don't hesitate.
    BTW, having good foreign language skills may be a necessity or an additional asset for such an approach to succeed, a point overlooked by many.

July 2, 2010 at 11:32 pm | Reply
  47. Arif

I had to move from Ottawa, Canada to San Jose, CA, USA in May 2008 when I couldn't find a decent job after my layoff in June 2007. I am in hi-tech and only probable place for me was the bay area. The real painful thing was to move my family which included one daughter 3 yrs old and the newly born twins, just 3 months old then. However, now after more than 2 yrs we are settling down and started liking our new home.

July 2, 2010 at 11:56 pm | Reply
  48. C.J. Augustine

I graduated in 2009 and ended up taking a position teaching English in South Korea. It doesn't look like it pays a lot but once you factor in the low cost of living, the benefits and not needing a car I'm actually better off than many of my friends who stayed in the U.S. The experience is also building skills to add to my resume for when I do come back to the U.S. Instead of being stuck in the U.S. with a minimum wage job the opportunity here allowed me to get a head start on many of my peers that I graduated with who ended up not finding professional jobs after graduation.

I'm really happy I took this leap. It's been a great way to escape the recession for now at least.

July 3, 2010 at 12:08 am | Reply
  49. Paul Johnson

I'm in South Korea and I've been here for over 2 years and not sure if and when I'll return. I left before the economic downturn because even in a good economy there finding a job can difficult without the proper connections. While here I've saved more money in 2 years than I was able to save in 10 in America. Best of luck to those who return home and don't intend on pursuing a higher education at a top-tier school.

July 3, 2010 at 12:46 am | Reply
  50. Greg in Tokyo

Moving to a new country will not magically get you a safe long-term job even if the pay seems very lucrative. I just moved back to Tokyo after living in Vancouver, BC for 15 years. The burden of increasing taxes along with the relatively low pay forced my hand.

Now if the job was the usual English teacher in Asia job I wouldn't do it. As another person stated above, budget cuts and a flooded market will lose you your new job in no time. However, if you have special skills, especially being multi-lingual along with solid work experience, then long-term prospects are better. You must research the market you are going in to and be comfortable living in your new location. I lived in Japan for 10 years before and love the country despite the crowding, relatively dirty air and water and high prices.

July 3, 2010 at 12:53 am | Reply
  51. Piper010

My story is a little different....

I moved to the US from Canada in 2007 for a change of scenery and ended up settling in Houston. After holding a job at a couple of different companies, the economy went in the toilet and I ended up getting laid off. After searching for a couple of weeks for a new job I wasn't having any luck. Then, 2 days before my last day at work, I got a call out of the blue from a company back in Canada and was offered a position.

Ironically, the new position paid about 40% more then what I was making in the US (including exchange rate) so in the midst of one the worst recessions in history, I am currently making the most money I have ever made in my career.

Thats now, but there is always next year

July 3, 2010 at 1:07 am | Reply
  52. AFD

This economic migration has been going on a lot longer than the current recession. I left the US in the 1990s and haven't been back. I have met plenty of expatriates over the years who call themselves "economic refugees." This is the world we live in today. My grandfather's generation had hoped for loyalty to one job, one company, until retirement. My father's generation realized that a worker might have to change jobs. My generation now realizes that if the job doesn't come to you, you go to the job, even if you have to emigrate. Thanks to globalization and multinational corporations beholden to the highest bidder, the American Dream has reversed itself.

July 3, 2010 at 1:24 am | Reply
  53. nathaniel

i was a prime example of this phenomenon. laid off in the us during the peak of the great recession, and been unable to find work for months. as my unemployment benefit was about to run out, i got a job offer in asia. that's where the jobs are, gotta be flexible if you want to keep working. i guess it's easier for me because i am single, but what im trying to say is there's no harm accepting opportunities elsewhere in the world. working abroad broadens your horizons and opens up international network. people who blame their governments and other countries' governments for losing their jobs have valid reasons to do so, but at the end of the day, you have to look for your own job, and if it meant going so far as across the ocean, then go for it (as long as the move is reasonable). i do want to return someday but for now, being here is like taking a break from the doom and gloom back home.

July 3, 2010 at 1:51 am | Reply
  54. William

I came to teach English in the Middle East four years ago, so I was glad that I was already here when the crash happened. I'd much prefer to be back home in the USA but my chances of getting a job teaching English as a second language at a college or university in the USA is slim to none right now. So for at least the next several years, I will continue to work here. It's not so bad, really. Yeah it's brutally hot for 8 months of the year but actually the Omanis are nice people overall. And it's nice to have a tax-free salary, paid accommodations, free health care, and a yearly trip home paid for by my employer. I've been able to pay off all of my US credit cards and I have paid over $60,000 on student loans these past 4 years.

July 3, 2010 at 1:58 am | Reply
  55. Robert Finnegan

I took a job with the UN, working literally on the other side of the world – Timor-Leste! The pay is comparable, benefits excellent, and I get to see the world and hopefully do some good!

July 3, 2010 at 2:06 am | Reply
  56. HK American

I am a prior service, US Citizen. I graduated from University with a degree in International Relations, and also worked in a government service position. I did all of this in the hopes of using my previous experience in government, military, and my education in order to find a job ANYWHERE in the USA that would allow me to use the KSAs I had gained over time.

I ended up in Colorado working in IT on a government contract, expecting that it could open up some doors toward gaining employment in a different government branch. I took exams for different agencies involved with things both international and security related only to find doors closed due to "lack of relevant experience". This even for "Entry Level" positions.

I decided, in order to gain more international experience, that it would benefit me to work abroad teaching English. As it turns out that was a fortunate move as the contract I was working in IT ended up being dissolved and the employees either let go or forced to work for contractors at reduced pay and benefits.

Now I am teaching in Hong Kong, and despite having looked at working back in the USA, I will be here at least another year due to every job possibility I had back home contacting me saying that they had to cut budgets, cut people, or had lost whatever contract I would've been attached to.

I hope to return to the USA at some point, but I would rather continue to live and work abroad and actually have an income to pay off those student loans, than go back home and just hope to not go bankrupt while looking for a job...Sad state of things, but the truth.

July 3, 2010 at 2:08 am | Reply
  57. Keith G

Moved to Canada from US in 2006 for a great job. When the economy took a dive in 2008 and my job was threatened, I took a 2 year contract in South Korea in order to ride out the recession. The family was supposed to relocate to Korea with me but I soon realized that the project wasn't stable enough so we decided to apply for Canadian Permanent residency so they could stay there. (We do like it there and it was the best choice compared to paying about the same amount in moving costs to move (where? for what job?) back in the states. Well... the project lost their funding (as we predicted) and I was sent home after 11 months!

Back to using my 401k to tide me over. So much for our nest egg!

I found a project in Mumbai, India (after 5 months of no work) which offered at least a one year contract. I started at the end of April 2010. Since we were still waiting for our permanent residency approval this was the best (and only) decision to make. As our trend of bad luck would have it, I'm now being sent home due to lack of funding again! Where are the solid projects at!

At least we now have our permanent residency in Canada, we enjoy the lifestyle, and I can more readily apply for work there. Wish me luck!

btw, we also lived in France during the early and late 90's for 2-1/2 years each stint. What a great life! We never wanted to leave and I've never stopped trying to get back!

July 3, 2010 at 2:38 am | Reply
  58. Reggie Veggie

Searching jobs around the world, I found the biggest hurdle to be unwillingness of companies/governments to issue work permits. This is a form of protectionism, and contradicts the global free-market economy ideal, which is the holy grail of human freedom, as seen micro-cosmically in the days of silk-route trade. I hope we can break these barriers (as far as ethically possible), so that supply and demand can be better correlated and undue unemployment avoided.

July 3, 2010 at 2:50 am | Reply
  59. Vendo Thefastlane

Here in Japan we hire people to teach English, and previously over 90% applied due to having an interest to live here. Now there are twice as many applicants with half never having considered teaching or living in Japan.

In just 4 years it's been a huge shift. Most end up wanting to stay, but the number who want to go back to the West but can't due to economic reasons have increased as well.

July 3, 2010 at 2:50 am | Reply
  60. Kay Jones

I am proud to be Canadian. Unlike other developed countries, we (Canadians) have a great health care system... not perfect but way better than the majority of countries in the planet. We have high taxes but great social services.

We have sound economic policies that promote local businesses and products but at the same time we DO NOT close our borders to imports and immigrants, whether they be from China or any other country.

Promoting economic growth in ones country is not about taxing the other guy for selling you goods they make. It is about us thinking of what to sell back to the other guy instead. It ain't the Chinese' fault to make goods really cheap and efficient.

Remember that most if not all of the companies who go to China to manufacture their goods are either American, Canadian or European firms and brands. They make their products in China then send them back to North America and make tons of profit due to cheap cost (both labor & material).

It is our businesses who are going there building factories. I don't see the Chinese government holding a gun to their heads and insisting they open a factory in China eh?

The real reason for big American, Canadian and European firms to go to China is GREED... plain and simple. They can make the same goods for a fraction of the cost hence HUGE profits. Its our big businesses who is the culprit, NOT the Chinese.

If there is anything that should be taxed. It is big business. That is what the Canadian government does which I believe allows big businesses to reconsider relocating their factory from say Alberta to Anhui. It also equalizes the playing field between the haves and have nots in a country.

Before we start blaming the Chinese, we better look at our own executives and business leaders and see who is doing what to whom.

July 3, 2010 at 3:01 am | Reply
  61. Kevin Webb

Its more than just about lack of jobs. The problem will not get any better until the US economy is managed better and the government adopts moral foreign policy. Who would want to live in a country that supports kidnapping and torture of innocent people, illegal invasions into countries based upon a lie from its own president, and causes the biggest global financial collapse since the Depression? I for one am much happier moving away from the US to a civilised country called Australia. Until the US fixes up its deplorable human rights record and idiotic greed-based financial management, talent will just continue to flee. And until George Bush is put on trial in The Hague for war crimes, there is no way I will return. I LOVE Australia. It's a great country in comparison.

July 3, 2010 at 5:05 am | Reply
  62. Ishan

Interesting to blame free trade for unemployment.

Globalization is a great leveller, so until you can enjoy the same quality of life from China to the US, China will remain a cheaper source of products. And after China has risen, other lesser developed countries will take its place until the disparity between developed and developing countries is negated.

You can delay the inevitable by imposing tariffs on cheap imports, non-financial barriers such as nationalism and ofcourse stricter immigration, and a mega military for might, ultimately paying top dollar for some product that can be produced more cheaper elsewhere – restricting the purchasing power of ones income. This while competing for jobs against immigrants from the very countries you deny opportunity to.

Alternatively, we could help lesser developed countries develop, so that no matter where you are from, you can enjoy a similar quality of life, and face a similar cost of production. The US wont be loosing jobs to China then.

July 3, 2010 at 7:10 am | Reply
  63. VDV

@Ruth Zahnd : You touched the core of the problem...Equity, Equality.
    I still don't understand why it is so difficult to solve the problem related to economical exchanges. Free trade agreements and fair commercial exchanges between the US, Europe, Scandinavian countries, Australia, Japan...seem rights but with unfair commercial 'partners' ?
    Economical difference between countries must be evaluated on a scale which will be used as the reference to calculate importation taxes. After, taxes will be divided and invested in the 'receptor' country and the country producing and/or sending the goods. No solution will never exists if commercial exchanges are based on a unbalanced relation. It is simply impossible ! Need proofs ? look in your neighborhood ! We are just becoming highly educated, unemployed and poor...just good enough to buy cheap Chinese stuff !
    A European who cares about US future.

July 3, 2010 at 7:47 am | Reply
  64. Symon Tabbenor

I´m a British citizen who has lived for the past 19 years in Spain.

At the begining of this year I moved from Spain to ShenZhen in China, it was so obvious the way that the Spanish economy was going and will continue to go for the next 3 to 4 years.

At least here in China bussiness spirit is boyant and for the first time in 3 years I have money in my pocket and a future. I will ride out the "1st worlds" economic woes here in China and then I will decide where my next move will be. I am sure that I will not be returning to Europe.

July 3, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Reply
  65. jim

Have been teaching english in China for 3+ years – and love it. I quit my job in us as computer programmer for advertising company making $80k because they were killing me, hired two people to take my place. Here I teach 16 hours a week, get small salary (but plenty to live on), free apartment and the wonderful Chinese people to work with. Plan to work to retirement and then return to US to collect social security (haha).
    You do what you have to do to survive.

July 3, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Reply
  66. In SE Asia

What does an American working overseas get:
    Taxation without representation!

Have worked overseas 10 of the past 15 years, and most of my succesful US friends are terrorized by the IRS no matter how compliant they try to be– just look into tax changes implemented by the Obama administration. Several friends are now in process of renouncing their citizenship, which is such a sad statement.

US in theory & principle should be a shining beacon of hope and prosperity- founded as a unique experiment in human governance, yet somehow vested interested have turned it into a brutal grubbing cleptocracy.

July 3, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Reply
  67. MossySF

I'm living in China now. The good - overseas tax exemption, low cost of living, 6% 5-yr GIC CDs. The bad - insufferably hot during the summer, random blocking off internet sites (although easily gotten around with VPN service). At this point, I like the lifestyle here more than back in the U.S. and I certainly like the extra cash in my pocket.

And it is stunning to see how fast metro lines and high speed rails are being constructed. Every few months when I travel out of this area, it's a quantum leap ahead along the countryside. By comparison, the replacement Oakland-San Francisco Bay Bridge is *finally* starting construction 21 years after the Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989.

July 3, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Reply
  68. walido

I agree with Ge CEO 100 % because I used to think long time ago when I was in college when american industries were moving out in early 80s to small countries like Taiwan, Japan and South Korea.
    Now not only American jobs moving out also European jobs too!
    Decision makers have to think hard for finding solution before is too late !

July 3, 2010 at 6:30 pm | Reply
  69. nc

Now this is a very interesing topic. Moving abroad is actually an experience that can broaden one's horizon and strengthen the marketability and talent that can never be learned in any university. I as an American left the US over 13 years ago but made a conscious decision of returning to the US after landing a great job on the East coast.

One should not think of working overseas as a downfall to the US Government or Corporate America but rahter, as an opportunity to expand and grow one's global understanding and expertise in today's global economy. It's reality and just simply take advantage of it and use it to one's personal and professional gain. But do not be closed minded and think like an American...WAKE UP! Explore and learn, opportunities will open up. It is a chance and opportunity that many people are not afforded but yet dream of...think of the positive and not always the negative.

July 3, 2010 at 6:36 pm | Reply
  70. RegVeg

I've worked in four different continents, and gone literally from Far East to Far West, from the northern hemisphere to the southern. Done so not for a lack of job opportunities at home, but because I believe in broadening my personal horizons. We need to realize humanity is a family, and try to break down barriers that isolate people. I'm all for a global work place, and will do it all again. Call me a dreamer, but my ideal is to have a united planet where people are free to move, live, work and study.

July 3, 2010 at 10:07 pm | Reply
  71. Kerry Berger

In 2006, facing long-term unemployment I took a chance and went abroad to Thailand to continue my career in marketing research. I had 3 wonderful years in Thailand until the US Economic crisis hit Thailand like a Tsunami and I found myself again without a job and needing to repatriate back to the US. It took another 11 months to finally find a new job in a non-profit organization - a major cut in salary, but a great opportunity to do something for the greater good of society instead of making stockholders and corporate bigwigs wealthier and greedier. It has been a transition well worth doing.

July 4, 2010 at 1:01 am | Reply
  72. Michael

Bad economic in Seattle for us, so we sold our house and moved to Sydney Australia a year and a half ago as my wife is Australian. We both speak Chinese, but wouldn't want to live in China! Too polluted for family living. Our son had a very serious illness that required world class surgery – world class health care was provided for free! Easy transistion to Australia, great (free) healthcare, good economy, low crime, lot's of diversity, warm, friendly, humorous people – No major city in the USA can compare with Sydney for quality of life. Great public schools where we are, so we will probably stay at least 10 more years. Thank you Australia!

July 4, 2010 at 2:46 am | Reply
  73. Mohamed Ali

I moved to Morocco from the United States 4 years ago. I did not leave because I lacked a job in the US, in fact I had a full time job that paid very well. I left this job to take a job that paid one quarter of what I earned in the US. I left because I wanted to do more than just earn a living, I left because the America I grew up in had morphed into a facist police state engaged in open acts of imperialism and terrorism. I left long before the economic melt down, but I knew it was coming even back then. I knew that when you create money out of thin air, that money is eventually devalued. I also knew that when you stop producing things and manufacturing things, your economy goes to the crapper. I tried to join the State Department and become part of the solution but quickly discovered that the gangsters that took over the white house had CIA agents and mercenary agents with deep tentacles into the Drug trade and US AID projects. It is just so sad. I could go on, but here is the reality, very little has changed. Obama still has the same illegal foreign policy that Bush started. The Economic situation of the majority of Americans in the United States will not improve until our foreign policy does.

July 4, 2010 at 2:46 am | Reply
  74. David a.k.a. Dawood

God bless America!
    No, really...I am totally proud to be an American, no matter how hard it has become to live and work in such a great nation.
    So far, it has been nearly a year since my wife and I took the chance in moving to a strange new place, on the other side of the world. We both were looking for a new adventure, having no kids and still considering ourselves as 'newlyweds.' I had already taught in two states, and had interviewed in several others, when my wife suggested that I search beyond America's borders for a teaching position. I was excited to find that there were several opportunities all around the globe, that were open to Americans, Canadians, and anybody else who was a native English teacher, licensed to teach, and experienced. The location that attracted my attention most was a relatively small city of Abu Dhabi, located in the UAE.
    I was nervous, as I had never heard of this smaller sibling of Dubai, and the fact that it was located in the often misrepresented 'Middle East.' I also had never been overseas, not even a vacation, and this as my first time would be a big step. However, Abu Dhabi offered a very attractive package, one that topples almost any offer big cities in the USA have, including a high salary (tax free) and a free apartment. Not only would I have a job, but I would be able to save money, pay off some debt, and actually enjoy a lifestyle where I am not living paycheck to paycheck (Teacher's College isn't cheap). Throughout the year, as things back home didn't progress much, I have paid off several credit cards, and my car note is down 50%. Although I miss my family and friends, I am happy here and would recommend this place to any American. Not every Arab is against Americans. This is a very safe place! In fact, I leave my car running outside, have had items returned to me when lost, and have made many friends from all ofver the Middle East. If you are a teacher, engineer, doctor, or any other professional finding hard times in the states, check out the UAE. Teachers can check http://www.teachaway.com if they are interested.
    I hope every American has a terrific 4th of July. You are blessed to be an American, even if the economy doesn't reflect it. However, sometimes even Americans need a quick fix to their problems.
    I hope this helps or encourages someone.
    Dawood

July 4, 2010 at 2:47 am | Reply
  75. MichaelG

Yup! Been living here in Tokyo, Japan since the last recession (2001)! Living as a fish(read: English-speaking worker) out of water (the U.S.) has really been a blessing to me. There is no shortage of work for me as an English-speaker who knows a little Japanese.

Bottom line: Don't be afraid to look overseas in your job search!!!!
    There are non-English-speaking countries with industries that need your English-speaking ability!!! Combine that with your favorite specialty, and you might just find the perfect nitch!

If you look overseas, make sure you have an intrerest in learning the language of that country! Learning the local language will help you immensely over there, and provides another valuable skill when/if you decide to return to your home country!!

Expand your horizons and reap the benefits!!!

Good luck, everyone!

July 4, 2010 at 3:08 am | Reply
  76. Rick

Politicians (worldwide !) preach all the types of things they do not believe in themselves and the majority of them act the opposite way of what they preach.
    All these unnecessary wars are artificially kept alive because it serves the defense industry ... and hence, some big pocket shareholders.
    I believe all of us "as voters" are responsible because – for centuries – we have put a lot of people on a pedestal and did not really dare to criticise them. The result is obvious : "abuse in all directions".
    The Green economy ? Give me a break ... "look at the terrible oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico". Even if the "surface" (and certainly not at deep(er) levels in the seas/oceans) can be cleaned, it will cost a fortune; all that money could be better spent to build solar power stations across the Nevada desert .... with a lasting positive effect to the ecology ! Why should the world – and its inhabitants – continue to accept this extreme polluting ... that is even very negative for the economy !
    Do you remember who approved the deep water drilling ???

July 4, 2010 at 3:49 am | Reply
  77. Joel L

Retired from military in 2007. Had job already lined up but it fell through. Spent 3 months sending resumes, using military friendly job seeker companies. Finally was offered a job in Middle East. Doesn't pay what most think. Enouh to pay bills and keep my family in our house purchased in 2006. I receive only my food allowance and family receives rest along with my retirement and disability. Now my food allowance is taxed! Thanks alot. Get 30 days vacation per year to see my family. Needless to say this doesn't go well. Children begging me to "come home now", and in early stages of divorce.

July 4, 2010 at 5:09 am | Reply
  78. dboggs

I was laid off in Florida in an engineering supervisory job in May 2008. After dealing with a few international headhunters, I landed a good job on a two-year contract in Qatar and started work there in August 2008. The pay was 50% more than Florida, with less federal US tax to pay. I am planning to stay here at least another two years. My wife is with me and she does not have to work. We have great (but expensive) accomodation and the weather here is almost identical to that of our home state (Arizona.) We will not think about a return to the USA until the economy is fully back–if ever. Life is better here all around, although this may not be suitable for everyone–especially if you have children in school.

July 4, 2010 at 5:11 am | Reply
  79. mskristin47

I recently moved to Australia on a work and holiday visa to pursue a job in my field after finishing my master's degree. I chose to move overseas because I wanted to travel, but couldn't afford it and knew that there were very few jobs open for recent grads in my field in the US and felt that I would have better luck in an economy that's doing better than ours.

I secured a job in my field within days of moving here and am very happy with it while my of all of my classmates, I only know 1 who is employed in our field. I'm lucky that I'm employed AND happy with where I'm living, though it is halfway around the world from where I'm from. And bonus, my employer is going to pursue a visa for me to stay longer than my current work and holiday visa allows. Who knows how long I'll stay here.

July 4, 2010 at 5:12 am | Reply
  80. jumpedShip

I moved from the US to Central Europe in 2008 and subsequently found more work than I had had in the US for the previous 6 years. I also found healthcare to be unbelievably incredible. (House calls for $12 with insurance and $90 without. AHEM!) Although I needed some help in order to get the residence permit in the first place, etc... I am able to live within my means, support myself entirely, and I do not worry like I did in the US. I also do not foresee myself moving back to the US anytime soon. Each time I return for a visit I am more and more disheartened. I work in the arts, and the US cannot even hold a candle to the support and success I have alternatively found in Europe. I just really hope Europe doesn't follow the US down with pharmaceutical companies controlling health, corporations controlling government, and credit controlling the economy...

July 4, 2010 at 5:12 am | Reply
  81. Tom Monahan

I moved to Australia 6 years ago because I sensed that America no longer leads the world in optimistic ideals.

Americans should stop blaming others and get off their lazy and obese bottoms and innovate. This cultural negativity, general paranoia and foul mood does nothing to promote a country.

Stop blaming mexicans, stop blaming chinese, stop blaming terrorists and stop the polarized bickering in general. You have to work together as a society and be positive and believe in the future, not the past, if you want to really be a real world leader. It is obvious looking at the US from abroad that is in a scary decline.

Sadly, many other countries such as Australia are now much more positive and moving way past the backwards and negative culture of the US. they innovate and work hard to produce ideas and products that people want.

For this reason I chose to look towards a positive and bright future and live in Australia. I am not alone.

July 4, 2010 at 5:32 am | Reply
  82. Todd

I got laid off from my job at an Automotive company when the economy started to really go south. Couldn't afford the expensive rent of Southern California without a stable job so the wife and I packed up everything and moved to Japan. It was rough starting anew in a foreign country but with family support here we have done well. I like it here and have no desire to move back to the US in all honesty.

July 4, 2010 at 5:50 am | Reply
  83. Elizabeth

There are many of us working overseas, with international living and working experience, who are TRYING to come home to the United States, but cannot find good work. We are often mulilingual with great intercultural competence (from our experience), and have learned to REALLY love America, as well as seeing how things can be done better. We are GREAT choices as workers, because of our skills and because we would be super grateful just to be back home with a job; but often we can find nothing to come back to. And I mean nothing! Overseas I have my own successful business running an English language center: will I also have to take a job sweeping the floor at Wal-Mart, and let my family go on food stamps, just to get back home?

We miss America and our families terribly; we are raising our American children overseas and see our parents growing older by the day back home. We just want to come back. But what can we do when it is SO hard to find work that will provide for our families back home, and meanwhile we ARE taken care of well overseas?

It's a very frustrating situation.

If you're not in "It's time to go back home/stay in America" mode, there ARE a wealth of opportunities overseas: come take them. For those of us who so much want to come back, I hope we can do so with finding decently-providing work and not destroying all of our hard-sacrificed-for savings we earned overseas.

July 4, 2010 at 5:58 am | Reply
  84. gene

Thanks George Bush. You left us a legacy to remember you.

Not!

July 4, 2010 at 6:43 am | Reply
  85. former Canadian

I moved to the MIddle East 13 years ago and love the area. I have a good job and salary and can travel around the world. Originally from North America.

Cannot beat the tax free salary here.

July 4, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Reply
  86. Mary

I decided to outsource myself following the business practices of so many major US corporations. I am happily living and working in the Middle East. I feel it has given me a new lease on life; I finally can earn a decent wage with decent benefits like good health care, accommodations, round trip airfare home annually and other sweeteners. I looked long and hard in the US, but needed to make some real money before my unemployment ran out – – – Thank God this opportunity came through!

July 4, 2010 at 5:35 pm | Reply
  87. AKteacher

I graduated with a Masters of Education (with honors) two years ago. The employment situation in the continental US was somewhat dismal then, and it's far worse now. So I took a job on the North Slope of Alaska. It's a challenging environment but very rewarding – nice people, great school facilities, excellent pay & benefits. Although technically part of the US, it's really more like living in another country. Now I spend summers in Southeast Asia where living is cheap. Life is good!

July 5, 2010 at 1:59 am | Reply
  88. Pianoman

For decades Americans were screaming about immigrants "stealing their jobs". Now I've seen many Americans emmigrate to my area of the world (I've lived in NL, DE, ES in the last two years and am now in China).

Is it hard to swallow your pride like that? Or when times improve will you all return to your highest per-capita incomes and start screaming that foreigners are taking your jobs again.

Americans garner no sympathy from me. You created the current situation at homee, now you should live in it. Blaming banks or politicians doesn't do any good since you bought their mortgages and elected them to office. Become more honest at home before you become ecomonic refugess and take that culture of intolerance to other more socially cohesive shores.

July 5, 2010 at 9:53 am | Reply
  89. Donte

It's clear that the US Government (All adminstrations) have failed to address the border cituation for years and has allowed the situation in Arizona and other states to evolve into its current crisis. The easy way out and unfortunatley the way this President see's it, is to grant amnisty. A smack in the face to all other immigrants of other nationalities. The only way to fix the problem is to start taking action! Take a look at whats going on in Mexico. How do we even know what each individual's background is when they cross, my first assesment is they are willing to break our laws. I do agree with a process of accountability and waivers to deport individuals who also use the same border as protection if they have broken our laws.

July 5, 2010 at 4:58 pm | Reply
  90. Ashley

I married my Norwegian husband two years ago. He was done with bachelor's degree but I still had two years to go so we returned to the USA so I could finish my degree. My husband found it impossible to even find a parttime job in any area. He ended up going back to Norway after about 5 months to work for two months, just so we could get a breath of air. After 3 months, we were broke again and there was no hope on the job front. He returned and I worked like the devil to get my degree done a year early so that I could join him in Norway. It was a heck of the way to start off a marriage. Fortunately we survived and since we were married and he is a Norwegian citizen, getting a visa was not a problem. We took out a bank loan to pay for the move and plane tickets and we were on our way.

My husband and I are now doing great. He is teaching and enjoying it immensely. I spent the last year learning Norwegian. Three months ago I was lucky enough to get a job at a local grocery store which has really helped me improve my Norwegian. In the fall, I will begin working as a teacher of English along side my husband. Although we are doing great in Oslo, we hope to return to the U.S. one day.

July 8, 2010 at 8:32 pm | Reply
  91. zenon kusak

What is ilLegal emigration look like if you are latino or black you will have problem with the system in ARIZONA but if you are white blonde hair blue eyes from places like france, germany, rusia need not to worry becuase ARIZONA is not looking for white people to deport, so if you are white living in ARIZONA please dont worry becuase ARIZONZA do not target illegal white people.

July 26, 2010 at 8:50 pm | Reply
  92. Ayden Simmons

being a computer programmer myself makes me very proud of my job;;'

August 12, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Reply