Tune in at 16:00 London, 19:00 UAE

A sperm bank only for beautiful people?

July 14th, 2010

There are dozens of dating websites currently active in cyber space, but there is only one that only allows beautiful people to join.

Called, beautifulpeople.com, it’s the website where people need to apply to become members and where members can vote on the looks of new applicants.

So far, some 5.8 million people have been already been rejected.

The company raised eyebrows last year when it allowed members to vote people off the site who gained too much weight over the holidays, but its newest development may put that to shame.

The site is considering plans to become a sperm bank for fertility clinics around the world.

“Since going global in 2009, we’ve been receiving numerous requests from fertility clinics around the world looking secure our members donations,” managing director of beautifulpeople.com Greg Hodge said.

"If you're in the unfortunate position as a couple unable to conceive a child you're going to want to secure every advantage for that child and like it or not, attractiveness is an advantage in our day and age."

Hodge said his company doesn’t make any money off the fertility forum, but it is a way to attract new members.

Angela, who is one of the site’s 650,000 members, defended joining the site and paying an annual fee of $480 to be listed.

“I think being attractive as you grow older helps you so much in the long run with jobs, with life in general and I think it actually is helpful,” Angela said.

We want to know what you think.

Are designer babies the way of the future? If you were choosing the characteristics of your child, would you want attractiveness to be one of them? Do you agree with the website's plans to become a sperm bank for beautiful people?

Please leave your comments below and be sure to include where you're writing from.

Filed under:  General
  1. PATTY SCHZ.

Their concept about beaty is vain . Beauty comes from inside in all human beings. The way all this group of people think is their damnation. Just to have fun I imagine them all having problems with their thyroid gland, gaining weight withou wanting it. ¡¡ Ha¡ even the managing director sooner or later , will be voted off.

July 14, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Reply
  2. petula

this is as shallow as it gets

July 14, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Reply
  3. James

Hitler once tried such scheme. Its a neo-nazi style.

July 14, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Reply
  4. Antje Hage

most thought facebook was the deepest Internet could be taken. But not so, a new dep was thought up.
    Often inventors of these kind of things think of themselves as clever and beautiful while most will stand out in a crowd of chessplayers nor in a crowd of good looking people.

July 14, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Reply
  5. M.C. Coy

Don't be fooled. Those are vampires.

July 14, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Reply
  6. Nate

So good.

July 14, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Reply
  7. Don Canard

What's wrong with this ? The outside reflects the inside, and vice versa (the old Greeks already figured this out with 'mens sana in corpore sanum' (which the Romans just stole from them and Latinized)).

This plan seems to be a good antidote to all the equivocation about poor bodily condition which legitimizes obesity and diabetes under the banner of 'diversity'. There's a reason for 'lookism'.

July 14, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Reply
  8. corazon factor

I prefer brain and character than beauty ...besides God is my designer...sorry i wont buy this..

July 14, 2010 at 3:51 pm | Reply
  9. vp

WICKED -– NEONAZI - EVIL - ALL will die and get rotten like everybody else or like animals.

SHAME SHAME on all of them.

July 14, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Reply
  10. sandeep

people are going mad day by day .... I suggest the website moderator to think normal and let the society be normal ..

sandeep

July 14, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Reply
  11. Guadalajara Mexico

check out http://www.ivfmexicovida.com this is where people really needing help conceiving can go.

July 14, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Reply
  12. M.C. Coy

What is the panel looking for. I know my opinion on outward beauty is different from someone elses. I have seen runway models that looked like they just left Auschitz. The sad thing is that there are people who want to join groups like this.

July 14, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Reply
  13. dd

"beautifulpeople.com"
    Ugh, they are so ugly they make vomit come up into my mouth.

July 14, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Reply
  14. John

Actually, this website doesn't go nearly far enough. They shouldn't just select for beauty (which is indeed important), but also for physical and mental health, IQ, and financial success. Let the best breed with the best, and create superior offspring. People who oppose these kinds of initiatives are misguided fools; they think they're pro-freedom or pro-equality or whatever, but they really are pro-ignorance, pro-misery, pro-poverty, pro-ugliness, and pro-disease. What's so wonderful about being at the mercy of nature, which randomly makes some people intelligent, healthy, and beautiful, and others stupid, ugly, and diseased - where's the justice and equality in that? We should use every scientific and technological means available to improve both the individual and the species, it's the moral and rational thing to do. Let the age of transhumanism begin!

July 14, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Reply
  15. runningsinderela

seriously? what is their standard of beauty? mainly physical? i respect their concept of beauty, but i think it's kinda off and narrow.

July 14, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Reply
  16. cgryllos

I have the impression that all those negative comments against this site just show that people would DIE to be able to be members and that this is mere jealousy. We all know that if someone is attractive, they have an undoubted advantage nowadays. you would want this to be you... and you would definitely want this to be your child, if given the choice

July 14, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Reply
  17. Jimbo

The guys in the photo are ugly, I would not call them handsome.

You look on cat walks and the so called experts call them beautiful and they are not. Really ladies, lads like curves, not skeltons.

These people are idoits and why is the CNN giving this website free publicity?

July 14, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Reply
  18. I_Ben

The ugliest thing ever... people are crazy. I'd rather have a crap and I'll smell it my self then a flower to share with everyone.

July 14, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Reply
  19. Ross

Full genetic engineering of babies is inevitable. It might take a 100 years to get there as social acceptance of it with lag the science but it will come.

July 14, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Reply
  20. kim

Why don't you do a IQ sight instead. If I were looking for a partner I'd want a high IQ more than beautiful people.

July 14, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Reply
  21. just joe again

they weren't too pretty....

July 14, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Reply
  22. rfischer

I don't think people are jealous at all. I know I'm not. The comment by cgryllos just demonstrates the misguided arrogance of the typical members of the site. They think because they busy their thoughts with how attractive they (think they) are, that the rest of us 'uglies' spent a whole bunch of time worrying about how bad off and disadvantaged we are (isn't life so much better and meaningful when you're attractive?).

Sorry cgryllos, the further your site moves us away from the real human traits of character and personality and towards the shallow temporary trait of appearance, the more 'real' people (both the physically attractive and unattractive) will find the whole process revolting.

July 14, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Reply
  23. msoodyall

Funny how the picture only displays caucasians...

July 14, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Reply
  24. Handsome

If they want to know true handsome they shd come and look at me, yet I would not even consider to join thm, their concept is abhorable to the limit.

July 14, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Reply
  25. Hoagy

Beauty is only skin deep. But an ugly personality, complete with vain attitude, goes right to the bone.

July 14, 2010 at 5:22 pm | Reply
  26. cyn

I'd rather get my sperm from a High IQ sperm bank... Looks only last for so long.

I wouldn't join a site that makes me pay them $450 to confirm my beauty and stroke my ego but I guess some people think it is worth it. If you really are that good looking shouldn't it be easy to find a date? This whole thing is kinda funny.

July 14, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Reply
  27. Borb

A beautiful person in a room full of beautiful people becomes average. Hooray for self-depreciation.

This is proof that "beauty" and intelligence make for rare bedfellows.

July 14, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Reply
  28. misterMaker

If the criteria for being beautiful involved having an IQ above 140, I wonder how many of the current members of this website would qualify? Angela definitely wouldn't, judging from her statement.

As far as I am concerned, if your IQ is below 140, you can be good-looking, but not beautiful.

July 14, 2010 at 5:42 pm | Reply
  29. Max Powers

With 95% of Americans morbidly overweight to the point of heart failure, I see no problem with this website. The truth is, the vast majority of Americans are simply commit suicide with food consumption and something must be done. It is illegal to commit suicide but somehow Americans encourage eating yourselves to death.

July 14, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Reply
  30. Bhawna

Believe it or not, Beauty attracts everyone.So I think the Idea of Company to become a Sperm bank is a very smart markeing move.However, the company overlooks the fact that Genes of a baby are a mixture of both the parents.So the idea may not prove 100% successful.The genes of the actual parent will as well flow down to the baby , and may not result in desired beauty.Hence the idea of designer babies could seem far fetched due to such results.

Secondly, Beautiful people may not possess a very high IQ, but that might be an important requirement for some of the parents.Since the company allows only beautiful people to register there is a chance that babies possess lower IQ's too.Parents might consider this fact important and choose not to take donations from company's sperm bank.This will also discourage the idea of continuing with the sperm bank.

Finally mores and virtues of the society may not allow a lot of people to choose the Sperm bank of beatiful people , since it can be considered equal to the sex prediction of child, which is despised in may countries.

To sum up, the idea of designer babies looks promising but has many flaws, due to which it can fail to sustain.

July 14, 2010 at 5:44 pm | Reply
  31. mhar

it may be an advantage but not at all time.
    so if we are talking bout designer baby's is intelligence comes with this?
    does a designer baby healthier than norm? what is their marking for justifying beautiful or not?

July 14, 2010 at 5:44 pm | Reply
  32. CTCASH

I think this incredibly intuitive quote sums it up...

When writing an article, journalists make sure to place an interesting insightful quote. Obviously this was the best....which says it all.

July 14, 2010 at 5:45 pm | Reply
  33. working

The concept is vain but also warped.
    Two beautiful people won't necessarily make a beautiful child.
    I'd cite celebrity references but that wouldn't be polite 🙂

July 14, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Reply
  34. QASIMARA

The cover photo was obviously trying to evoke a dark world where everyone looked equally beautiful. Look no further than how our basketball courts have evolved over teh decades for evidence of genetic engineering.

July 14, 2010 at 6:04 pm | Reply
  35. Arnold Dzi

You are just fulfilling the holly scriptures, hope nobody will stop u from doing such bad thing. The Heart is the most gud thin of all MOZAMBIQUE

July 14, 2010 at 6:24 pm | Reply
  36. mxsat

"BS" if every one is "beautiful" how would you know what beautiful means?

July 14, 2010 at 6:30 pm | Reply
  37. Martin

There is nothing wrong with this. Cheers to Don and John above. Selection happens. If you don't think you can compete, don't complain and just move on. You can make an ugly people club – no one's stopping you. Or, if you think IQ is more important, go ahead and join Mensa and, again, stop complaining.

The only real problem here is that, when you browse the site, it is still lacking for beautiful people. They let too many people in.

July 14, 2010 at 6:34 pm | Reply
  38. Audrey Courtain

My god ! Let me laugh about it ! ...I would like to say that it is to be written "mens sana in corpore sano"; and it's not about beauty, it's about well-being considering that every man is both a spirit and a body, meaning that you need to keep healthy (not necesseraly beautiful)...furthermore, greek philosophers used to laugh at broad-shouldered and muscled men ! And i will keep this laughing on 😀

July 14, 2010 at 6:36 pm | Reply
  39. alejandro Londono

You could be beautiful but if you are not intelligent;
    you will get nowhere in life.
    you probably by in a corner with a miniskirt and high heels.

July 14, 2010 at 7:02 pm | Reply
  40. gladees

I am beautiful outside and inside but I won't be fooled by a such kind of VAMPIRES! BEWARE!

July 14, 2010 at 7:05 pm | Reply
  41. Howard 412

Rather my kid be an average looking genius than a really attractive dunce. This is just another way people alienate themselves from others for some false sense of self-righteousness.

Rise above

July 14, 2010 at 7:07 pm | Reply
  42. dd

Computers have a way higher IQ.

July 14, 2010 at 7:09 pm | Reply
  43. Liar Liar

" Beauty comes from the inside in all human beings." – someone

"That's just something ugly people say!" – Jim Carey, Liar Liar

Just kidding! Can you picture a world filled with skinny-ass chiseled-face male models? That's some Fruity Future for Earth. As long as there are more hot women... I'm all for it. But look at Sweden, Eastern Europe, and South America... so many hot chicks... and they seem to be doing all right... I'm just sayin' 🙂

July 14, 2010 at 7:10 pm | Reply
  44. Júlio César

Who can decide who is beautiful and who is ugly? We are trying to do beautiful people but the beauty depends from who is looking. In my point of view this is one more way to discriminate agaist the people.

July 14, 2010 at 7:10 pm | Reply
  45. Gorell

I think it's brilliant...
    People whom take themselves too serious always make me smile.
    And let's be honest...Smiling makes you beautiful.. 🙂

Let's have more stupid ideas for the rest of us mortals to smile about

July 14, 2010 at 7:21 pm | Reply
  46. solonka jackson

This shows how America is desperate to look healthy not beautiful. I wonder if the so called beautiful have the genes which causes obesity! Good luck desparados!

July 14, 2010 at 7:24 pm | Reply
  47. viva

What kind of world am I living?

July 14, 2010 at 8:14 pm | Reply
  48. Thniker

I buy brain and character rather than beauty. People in this group must be insane to think on this lines. Enough of spoiling planet with external greed, try to think as real human being.

July 14, 2010 at 8:27 pm | Reply
  49. Jurgen R. Brul

Hello CNN friends,

We Need Good Parents or Good Foster parents to Raise our Babies,
    so that they become Really Beautiful under God’s Eyes!
    Donating or Using Alien Sperm is Not a Guaranty
    that our Babies become Really Beautiful!
    Please Think Twice before you are Donating or Using Alien Sperm!

Advice:
    Just Think Twice!
    Let us Now Connect to make our world
    a Better Healthier and Beautiful World
    for You and for Me!

Greetings,
    Jurgen R. Brul
    Hometown: Paramaribo
    Country: Suriname
    Latin-American

July 14, 2010 at 8:32 pm | Reply
  50. Bill

Some of you guys have got some strange attitudes. Being beautiful or at least very good looking means you can't be intelligent? Give me a break! Women, my whole life, have always been highly attracted to me and yet I have an IQ in the mid 150's (thank God that spelling and grammer don't count). All that means is that I'm a good looking guy that can think in the abstract. My wife, who happens to be a very blonde, natural blonde, is the smartest woman I've ever met. Looks and brains have absolutely nothing to do with each other. I've met some downright ugly people in my life that were both highly intelligent and others dumber than a sewer rat. Same goes for beauty. I've met some downright georgeous women in my life that were 50+ pounds over weight and some down right ugly ones with bodies of perfection. Beauty comes pouring from within through the eyes.

As to the site advertised here; Who cares? I don't.

July 14, 2010 at 8:49 pm | Reply
  51. The Da

I firmly believe that we are in the End Times as per the Revelations section of KJB. The Anti-Christ has appeared with his pissy minions (ie. the subject of article). All chaos and fighting is now on the menu until the stupid ass is defeated. Won't take much. Only faith in your one Higher Power (no matter what you want to name Him) will defeat him. I call Him God!

July 14, 2010 at 8:54 pm | Reply
  52. Lena

Only dumb people would put beauty over brains. And no, I would not want my child to have a dumb shallow model for a dad.
    Beauty means nothing if you have zero intelligence, all you'll get in life then is others using, abusing and manipulating you.
    No to mention the fact that success in life does not mean being rich and famous, but being happy. And true happinness doesn't come from having a perfectly proportioned face&body.

July 14, 2010 at 8:57 pm | Reply
  53. Benedicte Gjersdal

Where can I watch this clip that was on the television?

July 14, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Reply
  54. Daniel

All I can say is this: Berlin 1935, Lebensborn organization.

July 14, 2010 at 9:40 pm | Reply
  55. VSN

This sounds like a good idea, as attractiveness matters not only for the people but also for the animals. As science and technologies develop many things, which were impossible are now becoming possible. We are witnessing the first artificially fertilised eggs with sperm donors, which are always carefully chosen for the fertilisation purpose by the future mother/ father or parent couple. Here is a question for those who do not agree with the idea of the "sperm bank for beautiful people": if beauty does not matter for you, would you get a sperm or egg donor from someone who is not attractive?

July 14, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Reply
  56. steve

What the world needs is a sperm and egg bank for people beautiful from Within.

July 14, 2010 at 10:20 pm | Reply
  57. Chris Smallfield

I say go for it. Let the physically beautiful but emotionall shallow people have each other. They can have each others babies, maybe even start an island nation, we can televise it even.

Once those people are out of our hair we can move forward as a society. I don't envy them one bit.

July 14, 2010 at 10:53 pm | Reply
  58. salman saeed awan

This is absolutely ridiculous and one of the great signs of the arrival of anti christ.

July 14, 2010 at 10:57 pm | Reply
  59. Yapman

In my culture both spouses get that feeling of being united when they see the likeness of any of them in a child. Having a baby with blue eyes in a society where everyone has brown eyes or other would seem too obvious, yes? How would the parents feel?

July 14, 2010 at 11:03 pm | Reply
  60. Jordan

All the negative comments are from ugly people, we all know that beauty is everything in this world. Life is so much easier for those with good looks and you know it, no matter how shallow it is; its human nature. I want my children to be healthy and happy yes, but beauty not only would make them feel better about themselves, others will too. Screw you naysayers.

July 14, 2010 at 11:24 pm | Reply
  61. Chrissy

Hitler would be proud.

July 14, 2010 at 11:26 pm | Reply
  62. cb

After reading this article,I checked out the website to see why these people feel so "special". My easy conclusion is that they are the same as everyone else,except in desperate need of a boost to self-esteem. But also a bunch of suckers paying money to make the founder rich. He is laughing at these fools on his way to the bank.The stupidity of this bunch is really pathetic.

July 14, 2010 at 11:50 pm | Reply
  63. znad

That's really messed up.
    So, if one of the models end up losing their hair or turns out to have some genetic disease later. Would they then be branded as ugly?

July 15, 2010 at 12:23 am | Reply
  64. LouieLabz

yes! superficial beauty attracts and sells in this modern world but believes that a brain enhancer and character builder would be more efficient than a sperm bank so people would redefine and realize what REAL BEAUTY really is...

July 15, 2010 at 12:40 am | Reply
  65. LouieLabz

yes, superficial beauty attracts and sells in this modern world but believes that a brain enhancer and character builder would be more efficient than a sperm bank so people would redefine and realize what REAL BEAUTY really is..

July 15, 2010 at 12:40 am | Reply
  66. power4things

I'm afraid beauty, whatever your idea of that is, cannot be guaranteed through a genepool. Most "pretty people" have remarkably plain kids, and vice-versa. You only need to look at some big stars that had dogs – and they still look alike. There's nothing wrong with being attracted to someone pretty, but it sholdn't stop there. Good-looking without character usually runs thin in no time anyway, and most men with power and money are with surprisingly ordinary-looking women. No doubt, our media-based society is obsessed with looks, kinda sad. Oh, and forget the new world order conspiracies, this guy is just out for a buck ...

July 15, 2010 at 12:41 am | Reply
  67. Seri

This will select more for people with Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

July 15, 2010 at 12:42 am | Reply
  68. Xavier

Zoolander anyone? I bet the models found it funny because its true without realising it's mocking them. And I bet the ordinary people found it funny as it pokes at the model industry's vain attitude to life in general.
    And oh yes it does have an air of nazism and aryanism. Catch is back in the 1930's intelligence was important as well.
    Only problem with the idea of beautiful people sperm bank is that the sperm doesn't hold one set only of gene codes... so in the end there is still a chance that 'beautiful people' will have 'ugly' children.
    Oh how funny and how 'vainly' dumb.
    Don't worry world, the website only holds not even a 10th of the world population and for Angela to say beauty has an edge for obtaining jobs: I would really want a hot blonde with no credentials testing my pharmaceutical products over a smart ugly one...NOT!

July 15, 2010 at 12:49 am | Reply
  69. Jeff

Not nearly selective enough. I don't want dumb and pretty kids. 100% rather have be smart rather than an inept stud. Fail idea.

July 15, 2010 at 12:56 am | Reply
  70. Darrel@Taiwan

I wonder what kind of people would actually pay money and wish to be listed on this "beautiful people only" website? What are they thinking? What's the point in doing this? I agree we should all try to look good and presentable, but joining a group that obviously focuses on the outside look only without substance is actually a turnoff in many aspects.

This is so high school stuff....grow up and grow some brains please...

July 15, 2010 at 12:59 am | Reply
  71. TJMF7

HATERS!
    Beautifulpeople.com & asmallworld.net are the best social networking websites available....just because most of the people commenting on here would never be accepted they are being HATERS!

FYI im 22 years old and about to be awarded my MBA from Southern Methodist University, oh 3.82 GPA 😀

July 15, 2010 at 1:00 am | Reply
  72. Darrel@Taiwan

One more quick comment..
    They say you should try a bit to know what the issue is all about before passing your judgement. I just went checked out the website....well to be honest, they are not really that "beautiful" to me at all. Even the top XX don't look so hot, at least not at all the cover gril or dude. I guess it may just be a web site for some people to feed their own vanity, nothing more nothing less. Don't judge by its cover....it's amazing some people would pay to be judged.

July 15, 2010 at 2:19 am | Reply
  73. Jung

Peasant bank to be founded, in that manner.

July 15, 2010 at 4:18 am | Reply
  74. Adam E George

In one word...sickening.

July 15, 2010 at 5:39 am | Reply
  75. Rex

nothing wrong with establishing the Beautiful People Website.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Seems to me like most comments are from non-beautiful people.
    Sometimes being beautiful is a curse as is obesity. All must use the cards they are dealt with.

July 15, 2010 at 9:53 am | Reply
  76. Burned

It reminds me of the movie Gattaca. The story centers on the irony of the perfect guy failing to succeed despite being given every advantage while the imperfect guy transcends his deficiencies through force of will and spirit.

Only life is beautiful...think about it when you look yourself in the mirror.

Cheers !!

July 15, 2010 at 10:18 am | Reply
  77. Youlin

Attractiveness may be useful, but it's the brains that truly help you get by.

July 15, 2010 at 11:13 am | Reply
  78. Relativity, perspective and opinions

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder like they. I am 50 and I went through a lot in my life whether in my 3rd world country or the US or other corners of this planet, I met soooo many people that differ in all shapes and colors. Beauty is a very relative term, It has no absolutes, it changes over time, changes by location by culture by taste etc etc etc ...

At any moment I would hire an honest devoted employee if he/she looks so bad (everybody has a some beauty, it is how to show it , hair style , clothing, diet etc.) over a Miss Universe who would be lazy or crooked, beauty is in the inside, in how we deal with world. We have a saying in our country (Egypt) Marry the gorgeous she my loose her beauty one day, marry the rich she may get poor one day but if you take the one with a good soul you will win forever.

Shame on you people.

July 15, 2010 at 6:35 pm | Reply
  79. gabsicle

i'd love to see who they rejected- half those people aren't even a good 5

July 22, 2010 at 4:32 am | Reply
  80. NOT ENVIOUS

Does anybody know what the word ENVY means?Well, it appears that 80% of the people who left messages on this website regarding this issue are just that ENVIOUS ! The word envy means, according to all English dictionaries,"When you know of someone who has something more or better than what you have you feel resentment and disliked toward that person" If a person is born with unusually nice long black shiny hair or long silky smooth blonde hair it ends up being a beautiful thing that all humans can enjoy the appearance of. But the greedy human side of those lesser fortunate ones rises to the surface and crushes any ability for them to enjoy something nice and special that someone else was born with, and it's not their fault. Beautiful people are born beautiful and it's a gift from nature and should not be resented only because of the natural human feeling called ENVY. And a note to those who were born physically beautiful- be thankful you were not born ugly and learn to psychologically accept and get used to the fact that you have a pleasant looking face with nice characteristics that most everybody else around you wish they had also! Being better looking than most everyone around you is not that bad when you get used to it. You get the first chance to date other beautiful people ! But, a beautiful face will only give you enough time to present your unique character and charm which will cause most any woman to begin falling in love with you! But, be careful and select your friends slowly and carefully to make sure you do not have somebody in your friendship circle who will try to poison the beautiful unique nature of yourself only because they feel envious towards you. Sometimes the best friends that unique beautiful people can have are those more equally as beautiful in appearance as yourself. Because it's impossible for an equally beautiful friend of yours to feel envy towards you which leaves open the best possible friendship to have! Good luck and don't let your shyness keep you from enjoying your natural physical beauty!

November 28, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Reply